Agree to possible upgrade or not .

margo2011

Hello,

I just booked on the Pursuit for May and the TA asked would I like to be considered for a possible upgrade .

My husband was nodding furiously ,but I’m sure I’ve seen on CC some people suggesting not to as you could end up with a room worse than you have booked .I said no but  my husband  is saying I should have agreed to .He seems to think due to lower capacity the chance of an upgrade is higher .I’m still trying to get over no direct flights from Manchester to Barcelona and having to stop in Frankfurt out and back .Anyone who has been upgraded did it work out well ?Also I thought I read if not then you couldn’t change your mind .

Thanks in anticipation of some replies .Obviously worrying about a choice of something that may never happen .

On 1/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, margo2011 said:

Hello,

I just booked on the Pursuit for May and the TA asked would I like to be considered for a possible upgrade .

My husband was nodding furiously ,but I’m sure I’ve seen on CC some people suggesting not to as you could end up with a room worse than you have booked .I said no but  my husband  is saying I should have agreed to .He seems to think due to lower capacity the chance of an upgrade is higher .I’m still trying to get over no direct flights from Manchester to Barcelona and having to stop in Frankfurt out and back .Anyone who has been upgraded did it work out well ?Also I thought I read if not then you couldn’t change your mind .

Thanks in anticipation of some replies .Obviously worrying about a choice of something that may never happen .

Unless you have booked at a fare that doesn't allow it, you will receive an email from Azamara after final payment giving you the opportunity to bid for an upgrade.   They give you a minimum for each category of stateroom and you can then decide whether or not you are interested in bidding.  If your bid is accepted you are assigned a new cabin, the charge is placed on your credit card, and you cannot change back.  We have done it and had our bids accepted and have been happy with what we have received.  If you are very happy with what you booked it's probably better not to risk it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crzrr said:

Unless you have booked at a fare that doesn't allow it, you will receive an email from Azamara after final payment giving you the opportunity to bid for an upgrade.   They give you a minimum for each category of stateroom and you can then decide whether or not you are interested in bidding.  If your bid is accepted you are assigned a new cabin, the charge is placed on your credit card, and you cannot change back.  We have done it and had our bids accepted and have been happy with what we have received.  If you are very happy with what you booked it's probably better not to risk it.  

Thank you for your kind response ,yes we are happy with what we booked ,just hubby doesn’t like missing out on things .we been putting off cruising for months as we are waiting for Queensland to open up to international travellers and within hours of booking the cruise ,we find out they are opening up next Saturday .

1 minute ago, Grandma Cruising said:

And Easyjet plus I also found BA & Iberia flights direct from Manchester to Barcelona

Hello yes they do but Azamara don’t use those carriers and for extra protection we want to book it as a package and also make use of the transfers.Thank you though for taking the time to look .

Just now, margo2011 said:

Thank you for your kind response ,yes we are happy with what we booked ,just hubby doesn’t like missing out on things .we been putting off cruising for months as we are waiting for Queensland to open up to international travellers and within hours of booking the cruise ,we find out they are opening up next Saturday .

Hello yes they do but Azamara don’t use those carriers and for extra protection we want to book it as a package and also make use of the transfers.Thank you though for taking the time to look .

Sorry meant easyJet or Ryanair they do use BA.

When you bid on an upgrade, you're bidding on a cabin category - not a specific stateroom. And you have to take what you're given.

If I were "upgraded" from an ocean-view cabin to a balcony right opposite the door to the laundry room, I would not be happy.  That door slams from morning to night.  You could wind up in a connecting cabin - with some people who like to watch TV at 2:00 am.

There are also specific suites I would be less than pleased with. Suggest to your husband to be careful what he wishes for.😃

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@margo2011 Some years back we cruised from Bali to Osaka.

Anticipating the South China Sea, we booked deck 4 midships.

With no prior warning, on arrival at the dock to board we were advised we had a "wonderful complimentary upgrade"

Suffice to say a couple of decks up and close to the bow instead of low down midships was less than wonderful in seas that made the deck 10 Living Room windows look like those of a fish shop over a two day period.

Edited by Baynanno1
spellcheck
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, tgg said:

When you bid on an upgrade, you're bidding on a cabin category - not a specific stateroom. And you have to take what you're given.

If I were "upgraded" from an ocean-view cabin to a balcony right opposite the door to the laundry room, I would not be happy.  That door slams from morning to night.  You could wind up in a connecting cabin - with some people who like to watch TV at 2:00 am.

There are also specific suites I would be less than pleased with. Suggest to your husband to be careful what he wishes for.😃

In a nutshell that is how I feel. I now don't bid for cabins because unlike a few years ago I have no control over the cabin number and the exact location is important to me because of what is above/nearby. Same reason I don't take guarantee cabins. 

Phil 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

In a nutshell that is how I feel. I now don't bid for cabins because unlike a few years ago I have no control over the cabin number and the exact location is important to me because of what is above/nearby. Same reason I don't take guarantee cabins. 

Phil 

Phil, we got a promotion that saved us 1200£ by taking a veranda GTY in stead of our V2. We took the money and ran😄. Just before boarding they accepted an old bid for a N2, which was made when we had the V2, -payed them 650£ for that and we are in a much better place and 550 richer.😀☀️

• Like 5

4 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

Phil, we got a promotion that saved us 1200£ by taking a veranda GTY in stead of our V2. We took the money and ran😄. Just before boarding they accepted an old bid for a N2, which was made when we had the V2, -payed them 650£ for that and we are in a much better place and 550 richer.😀☀️

As they say, better born lucky than rich!  I'm the sort who if I put it all on red it comes up black! Lol. I'm so picky with cabin choice. I just can't help it. 

Phil 

• Like 5

On 1/20/2022 at 4:54 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

As they say, better born lucky than rich!  I'm the sort who if I put it all on red it comes up black! Lol. I'm so picky with cabin choice. I just can't help it. 

Phil 

Well, sometimes that feeling comes sneaking. We swapped from starboard N2 to starboard N1 and now we have the patio noise and a leaking shower door.🤯😉😄

Yes the patio noise is another reason to be careful. To be honest recently we’ve opted for verandahs and bought specialties and spa passes. Just done the maths on the upgrade offer we have and we wouldn’t benefit in loyalty points and we honestly don’t need the extra storage or space so effectively we can also add in a beverages package and still have $50 change even if a minimum bid was accepted 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes the patio noise is another reason to be careful. To be honest recently we’ve opted for verandahs and bought specialties and spa passes. Just done the maths on the upgrade offer we have and we wouldn’t benefit in loyalty points and we honestly don’t need the extra storage or space so effectively we can also add in a beverages package and still have $50 change even if a minimum bid was accepted 

By all means. We have been lucky. No complaints and our N1 below patio is OK, yes I would say very good, so far. Our butler Elro is fantastic and we are grateful to be on board such a fine and happy ship.

Next time we will keep our deck 7 V2, and not make bid. The risk of ending in an unfavourable spot is not worth it.

• Like 3