Key West open for Celebrity Apex Feb. 6th?

Afriendtoallanimals

The local ordinance that blocked ships over a certain occupancy was overridden by the state last year.  To date, there have been very few ships that have actually docked and there has been some suggestion that Key West is preventing large ships from docking via less-than-completely-legal means.  Key West also removed public access to the cruise ship calendar so there's no way to see what's "officially" approved to dock.

The unfortunate reality is you may not know whether you're docking there until you're actually on the ship.

• Like 1

We just got notification that we will be there on Feb 5 on the Constellation. 

It is replacement for San Juan. 

I'll post here if we do stop.  

Celebrity is requiring ship excursions, so there will be no hoards of unwashed cruise ship day trippers on Duval St, which seems to be the locals' concern. 

• Like 2

If Celebrity is requiring ship excursions, they haven't told the passengers about it.  My cruise is scheduled to dock in Key West Feb. 6.  In fact, they don't even have excursions available for us to book on their website or app. 

19 hours ago, monumax said:

If Celebrity is requiring ship excursions, they haven't told the passengers about it.  My cruise is scheduled to dock in Key West Feb. 6.  In fact, they don't even have excursions available for us to book on their website or app. 

I re-read the notification, and it is families with unvaccinated kids that have to do a Celebrity shore excursion in K W . 

Excursions  available for our sailing include a bar hop and a bike tour.

Celebrity is currently the only major line ignoring the wishes of the locals who overwhelmingly voted to limit large ships.  Yesterday’s passengers were greeted with a large protest of fishing boats and a couple hundred people telling them these large ships are not welcome here.  Since Pier B is owned by a litigious billionaire who donate $1 million to our Governor before he overrode the vote, that is the only dock receiving ships.

it is a sad sign in the Country when a binding referendum passed by a majority of voters in every district is overrode by The State.  

While Key West locals welcome visitors, they do not welcome ships that violate the referendums.  Please let Celebrity know you believe in Democracy and tell them to respect the referendum locals voted for.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keywester33 said:

Since Pier B is owned by a litigious billionaire who donate $1 million to our Governor before he overrode the vote, that is the only dock receiving ships.

The legislation was actually passed by the Florida House and Senate, the Governor just signed the bill.

I suppose if Key Largo passed a referendum prohibiting all trucks over 5000 lbs and no more than 100 cars a day to pass through it would be OK?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RedIguana said:

The legislation was actually passed by the Florida House and Senate, the Governor just signed the bill.

I suppose if Key Largo passed a referendum prohibiting all trucks over 5000 lbs and no more than 100 cars a day to pass through it would be OK?

the issue was debated for over a year and the majority of residents voted for these limits.  I’m not here to rehash the referendum.  Either you believe in local rule and Democracy, or you don’t.  Either you respect the people in a destination you are visiting, or you don’t.   I would never travel to a destination that does not welcome my visit.  Sadly, Celebrity doesn’t care, and apparently neither do you. 

7 hours ago, keywester33 said:

Sadly, Celebrity doesn’t care, and apparently neither do you. 

7 hours ago, keywester33 said:

the issue was debated for over a year and the majority of residents voted for these limits.  I’m not here to rehash the referendum.  Either you believe in local rule and Democracy, or you don’t.  Either you respect the people in a destination you are visiting, or you don’t.   I would never travel to a destination that does not welcome my visit.  Sadly, Celebrity doesn’t care, and apparently neither do you. 

I was around when Key West succeeded from the union. I was around when there no stop lights between homestead and Duval street. The tiki bar in Islamorada seated 25 people. I watched ya'll move to the keys and destroy them. I don't respect a referendum from a bunch of NIMBY's. I respect the locations I visit. You don't want visitors, unless they are on your terms. 

Edit

I caught a nice 25 permit on a jig on 6 lb test the day the new 7 mile bridge opened up. What an improvement that was.

Edited by RedIguana

On 2/7/2022 at 3:55 PM, RedIguana said:

I was around when Key West succeeded from the union. I was around when there no stop lights between homestead and Duval street. The tiki bar in Islamorada seated 25 people. I watched ya'll move to the keys and destroy them. I don't respect a referendum from a bunch of NIMBY's. I respect the locations I visit. You don't want visitors, unless they are on your terms. 

Edit

I caught a nice 25 permit on a jig on 6 lb test the day the new 7 mile bridge opened up. What an improvement that was.

Not that it matters, but I was born and raised in the Keys so save your “ya’ll moved down here and ruined it” comment for someone else.   Also, the  organizers of the referendum were from two long time, Conch families.  The referendums passed by super majorities in every single district on the island and had huge support from long time Conch families who have seen the damage these ships do to our waters and reefs, and the impact on Downtown.  Most of the opposition actually came from out of town business owners like the owner of the hotel where Pier B is located.

I’m glad you were able to enjoyed Key West when it was a small town, but it is now a mass tourism destination struggling with over tourism, a dying reef system and polluted near shore waters.  

Unfortunately,  it looks like the big money will override the will of the people who live here unless the Cruise Lines and their passengers choose to follow the referendum.  Have a nice day.