Docking in or near Baden-Baden?

loriva

We have a stop for Baden-Baden, Germany, in June with Scenic Cruises.  Trying to figure out where the ship actually docks.  The Rhine River does not run through Baden-Baden--it is about 15 miles to the west.  Cruisemapper.com, however, shows the port physically in Baden-Baden--on the Oos River.  Anyone have any experience with this--does the ship remain on the Rhine or make a short detour up the Oos?

We're trying to figure out if we'll have time to visit a spa in Baden-Baden after taking the included Walking Tour of Baden-Baden.  If docked in town, this shouldn't be an issue.  If not, we'll need to figure out transportation back to the ship (presuming it is stopped long enough for us to add a spa visit.)  So, also welcome any recommendations from anyone who did a spa visit in Baden-Baden on which one you used and how you returned to the ship.

Thanks,

Baden-Baden and its river does not have a river cruise dock. The Oos is not navigable for large river cruise ships. Not sure about excursion boats.

Your most likely dock from where the coach will take you to Baden-Baden is on the Rhine at Rastatt-Plittersdorf. You should find it on Google maps under Rastatt Anlegestelle Plittersdorf. It is in or near a nature reserve I believe with not much infrastructure near. For logistics I would contact the river cruise line or when you get to the ship inform the cruise director about your plans well in advance of the Baden-Baden excursion.

Over to the others for suggestions on how to spend your time in Baden-Baden.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Baden-Baden and its river does not have a river cruise dock. The Oos is not navigable for large river cruise ships. Not sure about excursion boats.

Your most likely dock from where the coach will take you to Baden-Baden is on the Rhine at Rastatt-Plittersdorf. You should find it on Google maps under Rastatt Anlegestelle Plittersdorf. It is in or near a nature reserve I believe with not much infrastructure near. For logistics I would contact the river cruise line or when you get to the ship inform the cruise director about your plans well in advance of the Baden-Baden excursion.

Over to the others for suggestions on how to spend your time in Baden-Baden.

notamermaid

Thanks, notamermaid.  The Oos did not look that big of a river.  But if you pull up the port map for Baden-Baden on CruiseMapper.com, it shows the port right there by the Oos.  I knew you would likely have the correct information!

If you look at Scenic's maps on the website, you will see either white circles right on the river (you port in town) and black upside down teardrops (excursions off the river). I'm not sure what the heart means, but it seems to denote the evening concert in Rastatt.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

If you look at Scenic's maps on the website, you will see either white circles right on the river (you port in town) and black upside down teardrops (excursions off the river). I'm not sure what the heart means, but it seems to denote the evening concert in Rastatt.

Thanks for the information to interpret Scenic's maps for its itineraries, gnome12!  This information makes it appear we will be docked in Kehl for the excursions to Baden-Baden (as well as the previous day's excursion to Strasburg).  It also appears the Scenic Jade will not actually dock in Amsterdam for the end of the cruise, but just across the border in Germany.  I've read here on CC.com of other cruise lines doing this during the pandemic.  Wonder if it is becoming a permanent thing or if Scenic is just hedging its bets.  Very interesting, but makes planning individual activities prior to the cruise more problematic as well.

Oh, Kehl! That was the lesser likely dock (sorry I did not mention the possibility), but if they want to make up time and sail while you are in Baden-Baden that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the mention of the map @gnome12. Rastatt has an amazing palace, I think it must be this offer:

https://m.facebook.com/ScenicUK/videos/scenic-enrich-rastatt-palace/257715845860432/

It will likely mean that the ship will be in Plittersdorf in the evening, if that concert is offered on your cruise. Check for slight variations in the itinerary depending on direction, i.e. A to B or B to A. The website should make it clear.

Yes, that makes planning your day in Baden-Baden more difficult.

Have fun planning and a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1