Traffic time DFW to Galveston?

Motorcycle Gma

How much time should I allow coming from southern side of Dallas to Galveston on cruise day, a Saturday morning, February 5??

I had a horror story one time going to a Houston meeting on a Saturday morning, trying to arrive by 1:00 pm.  We didn't make it because of a big traffic jam.  Should I allow 5 hours?  6 hours to be safe??  I'm not concerned with Dallas to Houston proper, I know I can do it in 3-4 hours.  The part from about Spring to Galveston is what concerns me. Is there major construction??  I guess I will look at Google this Saturday morning to see what it says! 

They want me to set up an appointment time to check in at Port.  I have no idea. If I leave the house at 8:00 am, I could be there by 1:00 or 2:00?  TIA.

9 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I'd probably go the night before and overnight.

Another vote for day/night before if you can. TOO many variables between here and there. Who want's to start a vacation with that foolishness? 🙂 

Edited by GJustice

Thanks for the information. I can't go the night before or I would definitely do that to save the stress. I work until 6:00pm in Dallas.  I guess I could drive part-way to the north part of Houston and maybe stay somewhere like Conroe or Spring. That would give me extra time in the morning.

I wonder what time one has to be on-board Carnival Vista if we are departing at 4:00? Is is two hours before?

2 hours ago, Motorcycle Gma said:

Thanks for the information. I can't go the night before or I would definitely do that to save the stress. I work until 6:00pm in Dallas.  I guess I could drive part-way to the north part of Houston and maybe stay somewhere like Conroe or Spring. That would give me extra time in the morning.

I wonder what time one has to be on-board Carnival Vista if we are departing at 4:00? Is is two hours before?

I believe it's one hour before.