Catamaran to Soufriere – PHOTOS

El Tipo Calvo

More questions from me. Is this the shore excursion where you go both to and from the Pitons via a catamaran? (Catamaran Day Cruise to Soufriere) Or is this the one where you take a cat one way and a bus the other?

Thanks! Looking forward to our trip in two weeks!

Is this the shore excursion where you go both to and from the Pitons via a catamaran? (Catamaran Day Cruise to Soufriere)

You would be correct! We had a great day. Cat to Soufriere, bus to the volcano, over to a cocoa plantation, back to the cat, Anse Cochon for swimming and then return to the ship.

We really enjoyed it, but if were up to me, I'd switch out the plantation for a trip to the mineral baths, but we were looking for relaxation on the cat. Relaxation we got... also got a little tipsy on that rum punch!

Thanks for the awesome photos! We will be in St. Lucia the first week of May of this year and I had a question regarding your RCL excursion

(Catamaran Day Sail to Soufriere). What type of buffet lunch were you served on the Catamaran? We noticed a couple of the other tours had a Creole buffet lunch, but that is not a big selling point for us. We really liked the description (and your photos) of the Day sail and noticed it just said "buffet lunch". Thanks!

Susan

Sereneade of the Seas - April/May 2006

• 2 weeks later...

We just did this excursion last week. Unfortunately we didn't have as nice of weather as in those pictures, but it was still a great day. It didn't rain, but it was more overcast and hazy - it cleared up a few times.

Okay, as for lunch, let's see if I can remember. There was some beef dish that my family said was not all that great, there was chicken, which they all said was fabulous. There was baked macaroni and cheese, a green salad, some sort of fish-type salad (one of my family members though it was tuna, another crab), and bread. I'm getting a little confused because the next day we did the Tiami catamaran tour in Barbardos that had a similar lunch. I'm a vegetarian, so the lunch on the St. Lucai tour was a little lacking. I don't think the food was fabulous even if you eat meat, but certainly edible. The Tiami lunch was much better though.

TupeloHoney: Thank you so much for the reply! I had almost given up on getting a response! We had just noticed that lots of the other St. Lucia tours included a Creole buffet which didn't sound good to myself or my husband. What you had sounds much more our speed. My husband is very much a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy and kind of a picky eater.

I have read a couple of posts about the Tiami Catamaran and they have all had good things to say about it. Did you like them equally as well, or did the weather in St. Lucia kind of spoil things for you there (and the food)? Did you actually snorkel in Barbados?

Susan

P.S. Did you post a review of your cruise anywhere on the CC board? I would like to read it. If you have any other "do's and don'ts" as far as excursions, etc., I would love to hear about them.

I enjoyed the Tiami Barbados cruise more than the St. Lucia one. But there were a couple of reasons for that. The weather was better in Barbados, and it was just my husband and I on that one. The St. Lucia one was me, my husband, my husband's parents, my husband's sister, her husband and their son. It was more stressful. His family is very demanding and can be kind of whiney. So it was nice that it was just the two of us in Barbados - we could relax!

But, since you probably won't be traveling with my husband's family :) I don't think it'll make much difference to you!

The Tiami cruise was more snorkeling intensive. We snorkeled with fish, we snorkeled with turtles, and then we swam on a beautiful beach. The St. Lucia cruise had no snorkeling. We did stop at a beach to swim. But if you don't bring your own equipment, you can't snorkel there. The beach was nice, but there were a lot of vendors who came up to you in boats and waded into the water. That was annoying. You could kind of swim away from them and get to an area where they sort of left you alone.

But I think St. Lucia is such a beautiful island. Probably the most beautiful in the Caribbean, in my opinion. So it was wonderful to see the island from sea. I also really enjoyed the volcano tour. It wasn't all that exciting, but it was really interesting. And the tour of the plantation was also interesting.

They're both really different tours, even thought they are both catamaran sails. I recommend both of them, really.

I haven't posted a review anywhere on the boards. Are you going on Serenade? The other excursion we did was the Trunk Bay one in St. Thomas. That was really nice. St. John is just gorgeous.

I totally relate to traveling with family. Although, the ones I am afraid would bug me would be my family. After we started cruising, they took one and got hooked as well. We have never taken with them yet, but I am concerned that if we did, there would be times where the ship just would not be big enough to get enough distance from one another!

We have been to St. Lucia once and did not get to take the excursion we wanted to, so on our own we booked a helicopter tour after arriving in port. This will be our first "ground level" tour of St. Lucia.

Yes, we are going on the Serenade. It's the 10 day that they just sail this one time before the repositioning cruise. We have the same ports as you did, but we also go to Aruba and Curacao before returning to San Juan.

We are going to St. John also. It will be our first time there as well. Did you take the one through RCL? We thought about going to St. John on our own, but at least through RCL you get to see some of the island as well. Since it's our first visit, I really wanted do that as well as spending time at a beach.

I have kind of been suprised at how much I have read about the vendors on St. Lucia being so aggressive. Obviously, we avoided that previously! Most of the other islands where we have gone to a beach have not been that way. Maybe I should make a sign that says "No thank you" and just stick it in the sand beside me so I don't have to keep repeating it.

I have snorkeled once, but I don't have huge faith in my swimming ability, and what can kind of freak me out is the water depth. So, I am not yet really excited about snorkeling. My husband has a mustache and he can't get a good seal on his mask and ends up drinking in the ocean, so he's not that big on it either. He says if I would let him shave it off he would try it again.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Those are fantastic photos! Thanks for posting them!

Can anyone tell me if the "Sulphur Springs" that is listed on on the catamaran tour with Carnival is the same as going to the volcano? On none of the other tours do I see anything listed about visiting the volcano, so I'm hoping this is it. Thanks!

Archived