PCR test ‘72 hours from first outbound flight’ include connecting flights?

FolsomMike

13 hours ago, FolsomMike said:

Maybe dumb question, but…does this mean the first flight I board (West Coast) or first flight that leaves the U.S. (Chicago)? Also, I’m guessing that I have to factor in potential flight delays in that 72 hours?

The first flight after you leave your house.

Hey all - it appears that Norway is dropping some of its Covid requirements:

I hope I am reading this right as the ever-changing rules cause enough confusion as it is ...

https://www.helsenorge.no/en/coronavirus/international-travels

"Anyone travelling to Norway must complete the registration form prior to travelling. This also applies to Norwegian citizens.

Unless you can document that you are fully vaccinated or have had COVID-19, you will need to present documentation of a negative test result for the coronavirus on a test taken prior to arriving in Norway.

You do not need to take a test at the border upon or after arrival any longer."

"Persons who cannot document that they have been fully vaccinated or have undergone COVID-19, must provide documentation of a negative test result for the coronavirus to entry." (This won't apply to Viking travelers as VOC has a vax + booster policy).

This may spur further relaxing updates from Viking (we can hope). Questions include:

1. Will the airline you are using still require a pre-flight test?

2. Will Viking still require a test before a pre-extension (e.g., I am travelling independently in late-June due to a deviation before my planned pre-extension, so will I still need a test once I arrive in Norway and meet up with the extension)?

Things are in flux, but we seem to be heading in the right direction!

Paul

• Like 1

Correct the official government websites have been updated with this good news. 

Now just need to stop being contained in my cabin for six hours after boarding. No one else does that. They test ashore and you have your results in 30 minutes and can happily board. I’m struggling still why Viking takes so long 

7 minutes ago, uktog said:

Correct the official government websites have been updated with this good news. 

Now just need to stop being contained in my cabin for six hours after boarding. No one else does that. They test ashore and you have your results in 30 minutes and can happily board. I’m struggling still why Viking takes so long 

Viking dies PCR test with salvia. Their lab is on ship.

the one you can get on shore from other lines are antigen tests. 

I accept that but I’m struggling with the rationale today as opposed to six months ago or even two months ago. I also accept that previously PCR was the gold standard now even governments have moved to LFT as being proportionate. Because I can’t get an LFT in the 24hours before I will be having a PCR done 36 hours before we board the ship. 

Im feeling now Viking need to look again at what is proportionate- as my old boss used to say let’s put a reliable car on the road but it doesn’t have to be a Bentley

We are currently going to just have to go with it and accept our first experience of Viking is being stuck in our room for a lengthy wait, probably having to use room service. We didn’t expect to have our first nights dinner that way.

We would have cancelled if we could but because of a previous voucher would be stuck not getting money back but another voucher which we’d struggle to use due to other long term travel commitments 

We are extremely pleased with the protocols Viking has.  The small issues and procedures are now automatic instead of problematic.  Being 'stuck in your room' for a few hours is NOT a dealbreaker, just a way to keep others safe.  Search other posts and see what Viking has waiting in your stateroom for you - another case of above and beyond.  Plus you can unpack, shower, rest and enjoy the bottle of bubbly on your veranda.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jazmyn49 said:

In Norway? 😂

Don’t see myself drinking on my balcony

I’m all in favour of proportionate testing. But I can visit an old peoples home following an LFT ….. what makes a cruise ship different?  They don’t test me for other things that might be in my body…… just saying. 

Edited by uktog

Much has been posted about why a cruise ship is different and we had it fully explained by our captain as well.  We are not going in to 'visit' somewhere but are in a contained environment, and that seems to be the bottom line. Yes, we all probably have 'other things' in our bodies but in today's world, COVID is the one Viking is prioritizing.  

We plan to be tested 72 hours before our flight, but won't board the ship for 6 days after leaving home.  Our arrival country doesn't require PCR tests to get into country.  I'm perplexed as to who reviews the test.  Please advise if anyone has encountered a similar situation.  We're scheduled to cruise at the end of February.  Thanks so much.

59 minutes ago, Kitekat said:

Halo in the Sofitel at Heathrow can turn around the saliva PCR test in 3 hours.

Exactly three hours I can take, six hours plus I cannot

Edited by uktog

Now for the cruise in March from San Juan - Viking says negative PCR test required 72 hours before boarding the ship - not 72 hours before first flight. We are going to San Juan 2 days early so I guess we will get a PCR test the day before we leave home? That should meet the 72 hour before ship requirements. But will keep watching- it changes weekly!! 

9 hours ago, uktog said:

accept that but I’m struggling with the rationale today as opposed to six months ago or even two months ago.

I think it is because they are learning as they go in an ever-changing environment. What worked 6 months ago is not working today.

Just guessing here but:

• Maybe it is because Omicron variant was a game changer.
  • Maybe it is because the disease is considered highly transmissible and has a long incubation period, which may mean that we can be spreading it before we even test positive
  • Who knows what we have picked up in transit
  • Maybe they have seen a spike in the number of folks who are testing positive at boarding and are trying to make sure that those people don't have a chance to spread it around the ship before they are disembarked (hence we are all asked to remain in our cabins until we get results).

In any case, two people tested positive on our last cruise (end of December) on Day 3; we had been at sea the whole time. They had tested negative 48 hours prior to boarding. Because of these two confirmed positive tests, only one of which continued to test positive and to show actual symptoms, we were denied entry at 3 of the 5 ports on our itinerary. 

Viking is trying its best to keep us all healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, uktog said:

….. what makes a cruise ship different?

The fact that one case on board could scuttle your whole itinerary. It only takes one government official to say, "Sorry, we don't want you here. Your permission to dock is revoked." Cruise ships are different because governments say they are.

4 hours ago, mbtabby said:

I'm perplexed as to who reviews the test.

Viking reviews the test; it is their requirement for boarding.

We sailed from Los Angeles at the end of December. The first thing that Viking asked for was test results and vaccination certificates. They checked the date of the test and the type of test to make sure that it conformed with the current requirement (for us two days before boarding) and that is was negative. Only after that were we permitted to proceed to the check-in desks.

For your own peace of mind, considering that you will be in country for 6 days prior to boarding, double and triple check with Viking whether you will need additional testing prior to boarding so that you don't yourselves scrambling to get tested on embarkation day. Make sure that you make it very clear how long you will be in town before boarding.

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The fact that one case on board could scuttle your whole itinerary. It only takes one government official to say, "Sorry, we don't want you here. Your permission to dock is revoked." Cruise ships are different because governments say they are.

Viking reviews the test; it is their requirement for boarding.

We sailed from Los Angeles at the end of December. The first thing that Viking asked for was test results and vaccination certificates. They checked the date of the test and the type of test to make sure that it conformed with the current requirement (for us two days before boarding) and that is was negative. Only after that were we permitted to proceed to the check-in desks.

For your own peace of mind, considering that you will be in country for 6 days prior to boarding, double and triple check with Viking whether you will need additional testing prior to boarding so that you don't yourselves scrambling to get tested on embarkation day. Make sure that you make it very clear how long you will be in town before boarding.

Agree with all you say and, in addition, and probably most importantly, we are still in the middle of a pandemic as declared by the WHO (which has universal membership) and the great majority of its member countries are still taking precautionary measures to protect their populations. A cruise ship without ports to visit becomes a bit pointless.

We’ve been on five cruises (German cruise line) since summer 2020 and have felt very safe due to testing before boarding, testing while on board and having to wear masks. And don’t forget, the cruise lines are also required to stick to the rules of the countries they are visiting. 

Thanks for all the comments. 
I totally get the need for some testing, we’ve already done cruises during 2021 and agree the environment felt safe although all were based on start of cruise LFT, fully vaccinated guests, touring bubbles and one more test during the cruise.  There were no cases onboard in this regime.  It’s not the countries dictating the regimes as these cruises were to places Viking is also sailing with its tougher testing processes.  One of the lines has had zero cases whilst in the Med. 

We’ve also done an extensive land holiday overseas and jumped through the various hoops for the rules on that one.

Im just wondering how proportionate the current rules are vs the overall risks given the levels of vaccination and boosters now in place.  I did read elsewhere a paper that there is now considered to be a risk of over testing in some environments.  Viking is the only line doing daily testing, maybe they fall into the over testing group soon if the impact of the virus continues to fall?  Maybe time to ramp down the number of tests?  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I fully understand your views uktog. We too cruised last year, in the Med, and were tested about half a dozen times at embarkation and later on board due to Italy's demands for testing. In 3.5 weeks (B2B2B) they uncovered one case of covid and the person and companion were isolated and taken off the ship on a turnaround day between disembarkation and embarkation. I watched from the top deck as we were confined to the ship for the day. We were able to continue our days after the tests had been taken.

I appreciate that Viking are taking the ultra cautious route but six hours confined to your cabin on arrival seems rather long...

We will be taking a LFT at Heathrow before boarding our plane as we depart at a civilised hour and have time prior to take off. I really don't want to unpack once we are on board until we get the results as it just seems like tempting fate... 

• Like 1

I agree Kitekat. The 5 February Venus board has posts this morning highlighting how confused the messaging is from Viking with more and more tests for no obvious reason. Give me a valid reason and I’ll be first in line for any test!

15 hours ago, mbtabby said:

We plan to be tested 72 hours before our flight, but won't board the ship for 6 days after leaving home.  Our arrival country doesn't require PCR tests to get into country.  I'm perplexed as to who reviews the test.  Please advise if anyone has encountered a similar situation.  We're scheduled to cruise at the end of February.  Thanks so much.

Not sure why you’re testing before leaving home of the country you’re going to doesn’t require it? Are you self-exploring? If so, you’ll need to test in that country before you board…

I would very much like to hear Viking's policy for those people who arrive at the ship's location days ahead of boarding the ship.  Specifically, do we need to get a test before boarding if we've been in country for two or three days? If the first thing we do upon boarding is get tested, I don't see the point.

All viking's correspondence assumes we arrive on the day of boarding. I'm suspicious of guidance received on the phone with Viking, so I'm seeking similar answers from mulitple sources. 

I fully expect to comply with the country's testing rules, without relying on Viking to tell me what they are.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

Not sure why you’re testing before leaving home of the country you’re going to doesn’t require it? Are you self-exploring? If so, you’ll need to test in that country before you board…

Because Viking require them to 

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I agree Kitekat. The 5 February Venus board has posts this morning highlighting how confused the messaging is from Viking with more and more tests for no obvious reason. Give me a valid reason and I’ll be first in line for any test!

Me too! We have visited other destinations and had any number of tests as demanded by our government pre-departure, the host country on arrival and our return. On our day of departure we will have our LFT at 06:50 and then the PCR as soon as we get to the ship but why is it taking 6 hours for the results?

29 minutes ago, uktog said:

Because Viking require them to 

Not if you are self-exploring before your cruise. You follow the country’s guidelines for entry and then test in that country before you board the ship. 

4 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

Not if you are self-exploring before your cruise. You follow the country’s guidelines for entry and then test in that country before you board the ship. 

That’s not what the email they have issued to our TA said sorry. It’s a chaotic shambles just now. Not their finest hour

Agree Kitecat. Six hours confined to your room and having your first evening dining experience as a room service effort as a result is not acceptable in my book. Let’s hope they sort it out 

Edited by uktog