PCR test ‘72 hours from first outbound flight’ include connecting flights?

FolsomMike

41 minutes ago, austinetc said:

I would very much like to hear Viking's policy for those people who arrive at the ship's location days ahead of boarding the ship.  Specifically, do we need to get a test before boarding if we've been in country for two or three days? If the first thing we do upon boarding is get tested, I don't see the point.

All viking's correspondence assumes we arrive on the day of boarding. I'm suspicious of guidance received on the phone with Viking, so I'm seeking similar answers from mulitple sources. 

I fully expect to comply with the country's testing rules, without relying on Viking to tell me what they are.

I can tell you our experience. Sailing from Rome to Barcelona, but going into Rome 8 days before our cruise. Our instructions are to follow Italy’s requirements for entry (currently, coming from the US, that is a PCR 72 hours before we land in Italy or a rapid antigen 24 hours before we land). We then spend our 8 days in Rome and we test in Rome before we join the ship - either PCR 72 hours before boarding or rapid antigen 24 hours before boarding. 

1 minute ago, uktog said:

That’s not what the email they have issued to our TA said sorry. It’s a chaotic shambles just now. Not their finest hour

It’s more and more dependent on where you are traveling to. I can only attest to the rules for us, traveling to Rome and sailing 8 days later. 

Thanks all for the reply, rather than rely upon a Viking representative's input, I reviewed the January 26, 2022 document titled "Important Information About Your Cruise" found on My Viking Journey containing all the information for our specific cruise.  It states:

Note: To ensure your journey is smooth and that you embark your ship as planned, Viking REQUIRES you to take a COVID-19 PCR test (conducted in a medical setting, processed by a technician) within 72 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight from your home country OR a COVID-19 antigen test (conducted in a medical setting, processed by a technician) within 24 hours prior to boarding your first outbound flight from your home country.

Important: If you are traveling independently and have and made your own air arrangements, please ensure that you have checked local requirements for your arrival port and contacted your air carrier for their requirements. Additionally if you are traveling independently, outside of your home country and before your first Viking activity – embarking ship or joining a pre-extension – PCR or antigen test must provide a laboratory-certified proof of negative result and be conducted in a medical setting, processed by a technician and taken within the timelines outlined above prior to your first Viking activity.

Looking at this section again, it appears we need to take two PCR tests, one 72 hours prior to leaving home, and another one 72 hours prior to boarding the ship.  For us this means, a test on a Thursday, fly on Sunday, test on Wednesday and board ship on Saturday.  

Sorry for the long message, we're leaving in two weeks and don't want to mess up.  Back to my original question - Spain doesn't require a PCR test for entry - who will review the pre-flight Covid test??

1 minute ago, mbtabby said:

Additionally if you are traveling independently, outside of your home country and before your first Viking activity – embarking ship or joining a pre-extension – PCR or antigen test must provide a laboratory-certified proof of negative result and be conducted in a medical setting, processed by a technician and taken within the timelines outlined above prior to your first Viking activity.

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!

In MVJ for our upcoming cruise out of San Juan in March - the Covid information was recently updated. The information quoted above is from a January 26 Viking document- indicating the Covid test should be done 72 hours before your first flight. That is what was posted in my MVJ until the other day. As of Wednesday (I think) there was now a new document in MVJ dated February 1 - now says test must be 72 hours before boarding the ship. Does not stipulate before flight anymore. So check MVJ carefully and often. Of course this could depend on the country of embarkation. And it might all change again next week. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 11:11 AM, SailorPaulH said:

Hey all - it appears that Norway is dropping some of its Covid requirements:

I hope I am reading this right as the ever-changing rules cause enough confusion as it is ...

https://www.helsenorge.no/en/coronavirus/international-travels

"Anyone travelling to Norway must complete the registration form prior to travelling. This also applies to Norwegian citizens.

Unless you can document that you are fully vaccinated or have had COVID-19, you will need to present documentation of a negative test result for the coronavirus on a test taken prior to arriving in Norway.

You do not need to take a test at the border upon or after arrival any longer."

"Persons who cannot document that they have been fully vaccinated or have undergone COVID-19, must provide documentation of a negative test result for the coronavirus to entry." (This won't apply to Viking travelers as VOC has a vax + booster policy).

This may spur further relaxing updates from Viking (we can hope). Questions include:

1. Will the airline you are using still require a pre-flight test?

2. Will Viking still require a test before a pre-extension (e.g., I am travelling independently in late-June due to a deviation before my planned pre-extension, so will I still need a test once I arrive in Norway and meet up with the extension)?

Things are in flux, but we seem to be heading in the right direction!

Paul

Further updates from Norway as per Infection control measures will be repealed on Saturday 12 February - regjeringen.no

"The Government removed many of the corona measures on 1 February. These are some of the most important changes that apply from Saturday 12 February at 10:

• Requirements and recommendations to keep a distance of one meter are repealed.
  • The requirement for the use of a face mask is repealed.
  • Only adults who have symptoms are recommended to test themselves.
  • Insulation requirements are repealed and replaced with a recommendation that infected adults stay at home for four days. This recommendation is assessed on an ongoing basis and is expected to be amended within a few weeks.
  • Kindergarten children and school students are advised to stay at home when they are ill, but can go to kindergarten and school as long as they have been fever-free for 24 hours. Children and school students do not have to test themselves if they have symptoms.
  • The remaining entry requirements for duty to register and negative test before arrival are revoked."

• Like 3

You are correct. All restrictions in Norway are repealed so any hoops you have to jump are Viking not country hoops. 
I hope we see a let up on some of the Viking demands coming forward promptly. 

• Like 3

I had posted somewhere else regarding my disappointment in Vikings vague wording for those of us "traveling independently". The upshot of which was that they seemed to be requiring is to get a local test (72 or 24 hr) independent of the test we needed to fly into Greece.  So just to avoid possible problems, we got an antigen test yesterday. At check-in this morning, they DID ask is if we had had a test, but didn't care to see the papers. Oh well, better safe than sorry, I guess...

On 2/3/2022 at 8:16 AM, TayanaLorna said:

The first flight after you leave your house.

So....bottom line, if I'm correct....if you test positive at embarkation time, you don't get on the ship. Is that right? Your cruise never takes place. And, if you test positive at any point while on the ship, your cruise is over. Am I correct on both counts? Total bummer to fly longhaul only to be turned away and simply head home again. 

Update...just checked this and believe I answered my own question. From the website....

"For guests with a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, Viking will arrange for them to recover ashore before returning home once their recovery is complete. Upon their return home, Viking Customer Relations will contact the guest and their travel advisor directly regarding any necessary refunding or rescheduling."

This all requires some serious thought as to going. Not as big deal if I'm turned away after only driving 2 hours to a local port compared to flying 8 hours. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, uktog said:

You are correct. All restrictions in Norway are repealed so any hoops you have to jump are Viking not country hoops. 
I hope we see a let up on some of the Viking demands coming forward promptly. 

I can't see it happening. The restrictions were all about Viking and never about the country itself, so there's no impact. The only good thing is that if you have to leave the ship due to a positive test, the time in quarantine is now short, so you could have a few days on holiday in Norway before having to head home!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kitekat said:

I can't see it happening. The restrictions were all about Viking and never about the country itself, so there's no impact. The only good thing is that if you have to leave the ship due to a positive test, the time in quarantine is now short, so you could have a few days on holiday in Norway before having to head home!

I think people really will start to question their approach soon if they don’t ease back. We are now with a virus as transmissible as noro and probably on balance equally as damaging. So needs the same approach as noro not a raft of tests very expensive to the guest. 
Asking you to leave the ship if your positive - well there’s a question. Given Norways current approach I don’t read they will be demanding your disembarkation it’s a Viking thing

• Like 1

We're at the center of a balance between testing (safety first, a pain) and no testing (what joy, but fearsome). If VIking wishes to lean to the safety side, I can't blame them. They are, after all, accustomed to waves (pun intended). 

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I think people really will start to question their approach soon if they don’t ease back. We are now with a virus as transmissible as noro and probably on balance equally as damaging. So needs the same approach as noro not a raft of tests very expensive to the guest. 
Asking you to leave the ship if your positive - well there’s a question. Given Norways current approach I don’t read they will be demanding your disembarkation it’s a Viking thing

Just speculation - but Viking Ocean Cruises ships sail under (registered) the Norwegian flag so that may be a factor. Doesn't Viking defer protocols to the countries into which they sail? I think we will see updates soon: they have followed up on previous government announcements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

Just speculation - but Viking Ocean Cruises ships sail under (registered) the Norwegian flag so that may be a factor. Doesn't Viking defer protocols to the countries into which they sail? I think we will see updates soon: they have followed up on previous government announcements.

I would like to believe that Viking will follow this change within days but I believe the 'Viking bubble' approach has been applied to all of the other ships as well as Venus in Norway, so I can't really see any change before their announced date of 1 March. I would love to think this will happen before we set off on 17 Feb but I am not expecting any change until we disembark on 1 Mar.  

I am now more than a bit concerned about Viking's communication. We received an email this morning reminding us to check the following...

As a reminder, please make note of the following information:

• Make a final check prior to departure to confirm the current entry requirements for your destination, as testing may be required prior to your departure from the UK.
  • Re-entry requirements to the UK will vary depending on whether you are travelling to a Green, Amber or Red listed destination, current requirements may also be confirmed on the FCDO travel advice website.

(my coloured italics).

I appreciate that information about testing and travel protocols can change very rapidly (we had two changes in two weeks while on holiday in December), however, the traffic light system was removed on Oct 4, 2021. 

19 minutes ago, Kitekat said:

I am now more than a bit concerned about Viking's communication. We received an email this morning reminding us to check the following...

As a reminder, please make note of the following information:

• Make a final check prior to departure to confirm the current entry requirements for your destination, as testing may be required prior to your departure from the UK.
  • Re-entry requirements to the UK will vary depending on whether you are travelling to a Green, Amber or Red listed destination, current requirements may also be confirmed on the FCDO travel advice website.

(my coloured italics).

I appreciate that information about testing and travel protocols can change very rapidly (we had two changes in two weeks while on holiday in December), however, the traffic light system was removed on Oct 4, 2021. 

There is no excuse for that one! 
They are just getting themselves into knots here.  Other cruiselines seem to be managing better from our first hand experience 

19 minutes ago, uktog said:

There is no excuse for that one! 
They are just getting themselves into knots here.  Other cruiselines seem to be managing better from our first hand experience 

Hey all - as someone, personally who will be heading to Norway (and Faroes and Iceland) this year, I came across this useful online tool.

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions?affiliateId=icelandair

Background for perspective: Personally, I am flying to Keflavik on 6/30/22 with a 1.5 hour wait for a connecting flight to Oslo (arriving 7/1/22) - so I arrive a day before my actual Viking pre-extension starts. When I put my own data in, I get the following results(!):

• Travelers are allowed to transit through Iceland as long they provide the following documentation:

Declaration of exemption from travel restrictions due to transit;

Pre-registration form (my note - this is for Iceland, it is easy I have used it before).;

Flight information – air transit confirmation;

In case of transit via Iceland to another Schengen country, proof of permission to travel to the relevant state.

Travelers must fill out a pre-registration form before traveling. The form must be submitted a maximum of 72 hours before arrival in Iceland (my note - see above).

• Travelers are allowed to enter Norway.
  • Iceland - No proof of negative pre-departure COVID-19 test results, vaccination, or recovery for transit.
  • Norway - No proof of negative pre-departure COVID-19 test results.

The above bullet points are backed up with up-to-date links to relevant government web-sites. As I am using Iceland as a transit point, it appears that I do not need a negative test to satisfy boarding Icelandair flights or to pass through Keflavik. I don't need a negative test to enter Norway (as per Norway government), nor do I need to test on arrival in Norway at Oslo airport (as per Norway government).

As I am travelling independently in Norway (1 day before I join the official Oslo pre-extension) I still have to arrange a test personally on 7/1 or 7/2 before joining extension (first Viking activity) --- only because Viking says so, is the way I understand it as of now. Also I still need a pre-departure test before flying out --- also only because Viking says so, is the way I understand it as of now.

Anyway - bottom line, I just wanted to show the link to this online tool and I how I used it as an example to help understand the changing protocols. Hope you find it helpful.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, uktog said:

Perhaps those who test positive are disembarked because the ship is not equipped or qualified to deal with a severe case of Covid and there is no way of predicting what the course of the disease will be. Even vaccinated patients face the risk of needing a ventilator. Hence, the seemingly over-cautious approach to risk management.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Viking Venus on 7/1/2022 to the British Isles. MY travel agent contacted Viking today and they said we can either get a PCR test 72 hours before our first flight leaves our home city or a Rapid Antigen test  24 hours before our flight departs. We are on a pre-cruise extension in Norway and we are told we will be tested at the hotel as well when we get there. Additionally, upon embarkation, they will test you and you are required to remain in you cabin until they give you the results.

Another update just happened in my MVJ - effective 2/14/22 - 'Before You Go' -> 'Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements'. The PDF file has dropped from 4 to 2 pages with significant simplification. Looks like Viking is responding quickly to events.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-220214_PreCruiseRequirementO-Norway_US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ_REFORMAT.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Thanks for sharing

Very little different to original but 
now the instruction of the one hour “fast” before the onboard test. 

No eating or drinking prior to tests is standard for most PCR tests. It has been suggested that secondary school students triggered positive results by eating or drinking certain things!

And after much discussion on this thread about changes to the Viking bubble prior to 1 March, the Pre-cruise information still quotes this date for independent excursions etc. 

27 minutes ago, Kitekat said:

No eating or drinking prior to tests is standard for most PCR tests. It has been suggested that secondary school students triggered positive results by eating or drinking certain things!

And after much discussion on this thread about changes to the Viking bubble prior to 1 March, the Pre-cruise information still quotes this date for independent excursions etc. 

Yes, Viking is now very much the outlier in terms of their onboard regimes now when taking account of the individual country’s requirements 

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes, Viking is now very much the outlier in terms of their onboard regimes now when taking account of the individual country’s requirements 

Perhaps the changes got lost in the communications group which would account for the out of date information!😉

• Haha 1

OK I have reached the end of my tether with Viking relating to testing.

The link on My Viking Journey was not working so I engaged in online chat with a nice gentleman.  He kindly sent me the document detailing the testing requirements.  It is headed up Norway (US Canadian, UK, AU and NZ guests).

Bullet point 3 says PCR test taken 72 hours before boarding your SHIP (Antigen 24 hours). Viking will accept select at-home Covid 19 tests.  OK clear enough

Unfortunately the pre departure check list further down the page says Bullet point 33 for UK guests only PCR tests 72 hours before boarding first FLIGHT (antigen 24 hours) -again reference to select at home tests.  Massive 26 hour difference in our Viking air flights timeline.

Anyway I asked the question is it 72 hours before boarding the ship or boarding the flight (response - good question, do not know)

Why is Bullet 3 only for UK guests (response do not know but probably because US guests have to do tests to get into Norway - no longer true, but for us this is a minor point and only one of curiosity)

I asked which at home tests they accept and the response was they were not aware of UK tests accepted.

The agent did say they would email me if they found out more information but I sail in just over three weeks, its getting more and more likely if Viking cannot give me accurate information I have to walk away from this trip but unfortunately Im handcuffed as its one that has a cancellation by Viking voucher attached to it so I would not get a cash refund.

This is my first time sailing with Viking, many cruisers I have met on Azamara have told me how wonderful it is, I wanted to believe them and experience it myself.  Even setting aside their more excessive testing regimes I have tried to be positive but this shambles leaves me fed up to the back teeth.

(Oh and live chat is not for UK guests even though it pops up on your screen, the agent advised they are US based and do not have answers to UK related queries)