Connecting laptop to TV on Edge with HDMI

Pesh115

I'm planning for a first trip on the Edge in a few weeks and wanted to know about being able to connect my laptop or any other devices to the TV in the stateroom.  We are planning on booking a Sky Suite (likely S2).  I couldn't find any information on if / how this can be done?

Any tips or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, Pesh115 said:

@RickYak were you able to get anything to work?  any help from butler / IT?

I asked the butler if he knew how, but I didn't press the issue. It wasn't all that important to me. The one event I wanted to stream live, I did so on my laptop.

I was on the Edge in a SS in December. Jim's approach and directions worked perfectly. (Thank you Jim)! The hardest part was getting the HDMI cable plugged into the back of the TV due to the limitations of pulling out the TV. 

I was using a Firestick. Due to the random internet speed sometimes I was able to stream, other times I had a lot of buffering which limited what could be watched. But... the process of hooking up and viewing the device on the TV worked just as advertised. 

My instructions were directly from my Butler.   He also helped get my Roku Plugged in.   The TV's in the CS and RS are really tight to the wall. 

I initially asked if he could get the TV unlocked for me and said they were not locked and showed me how to do it.    For me it worked on Silhouette and Millennium -  Not sure if it works on other ships.    I believe it works on any of the ships that have been revolutionized. 

On Edge I found that all I needed to do was plug in the HDMI and have it powered up prior to turning on the TV.    I could then just use the toggle on/off Source button on the bottom right corner to toggle to the HDMI I was plugged into.   I was also able to stream directly from my iPhone wireless.

@Jim we are staying in an S2 Sky Suite which the TV is supposed to tilt off the wall to allow viewing from bed.  I think this will make it easier to access the HDMI port.  I'm just planning on connecting my laptop to watch pre-downloaded content or our son's Nintendo Swtich so he can play games.

Can you send me a link to your posted detailed solution?

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

All, we just completed our sailing and I must say that this was easier than expected.  

We simply pulled the TV off the wall at an angle (which it is designed to do to face the bed) and plugged in a self-supplied HDMI cable.  Then we tuned the TV to Channel 100 and it showed my laptop.  That was it.

• 1 year later...

I'm on the Celebrity Beyond, and Jim_Iain's answer matches my experience, although I didn't initially understand his wording so I'll try to describe it differently!

Plugging in your HDMI cable is the hard part. There are two HDMI ports on the right-hand side. HDMI 1 is just below the power cord. HDMI 2 is the next one down. Position the HDMI cable with the smaller edge toward the room, wider edge toward the wall. The screen is tight against the wall so it was difficult to do! I wasn't able to figure out a way to pull it off the wall...

Plug the other end of the cable into your computer / device and turn it on.

Then to switch the source you press up on the (hidden) button on the bottom right corner of the TV, just under the "Samsung" name. Press it once and a menu pops up. Press it again to cycle through the menu until you get to "Source". Then long-press it (press and hold) to select that option. In my case it immediately switched to HDMI 1, I assume because my computer was already on and plugged into it.

Good luck!