Reflections on the Reflection - February 5, 2022

DCPIV

7 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I'd have no qualms staying in SS again. 

This is really good news, since we will be in 4111 in mid-March. We've been wanting to try the Signature (SG) suite and my Loving Wife (LW) told me I had to wake up and pay attention to this post. Therefore, I have. And I might say it's been a true pleasure!

We've really enjoyed the Royal Suite (RS) on the Solstice class ships a few times and enjoy the extra half-bath (which I seem to be assigned to for some reason which escapes me, that I won't get into). Anyway, the two sinks in the main bath are really nice in the RS and I'm wondering if LW will be able to live with just one bathroom sink? She has informed me that directly across from the sink is a bigger sink some folks might call a tub. And, bless her heart, she said if she feels crowded I can also use that big sink on the veranda. Some folks might call it a jetted tub. I will call it a sink, however, and be sure to wear a robe or jammies when it's in use. It's actually big enough to take a bath and it sounds like your bride has tested it for same.

Now, how about the UGG brand slippers that are provided with the SG suites? Is that just a rumor? Not to mention the Michael Johnson shampoo and conditioner? And the underarm brush? Is it still being changed out between cruises, I wonder?

I think Celebrity pulls out all the stops for us since we really are Signature Steerage and not able (or willing) to afford the Reflection Suite. This time. That outside shower seems to be something that should be experienced at least one time by all Signature guests. I am guessing the tenants of said Reflection Suite will not tender an invitation. Snoot will prevail, perhaps.

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2022 at 11:36 AM, DCPIV said:

We are right next to the Reflection Suite and we're invited to a party there yesterday. It's quite something! Gordon, the butler that takes care of all the rooms in our wonderfully cloistered hallway put something rather wonderful together. The folks staying in there are fun, too. 

Speaking of our wonderfully cloistered hallway, Gordon is putting together another soirée this evening out in the hall. That sounds mighty fun. 

How many people have been at these parties?  Did Gordon stay as well?  We're working toward doing something when we cruise, but have heard there still could be some restrictions and the events are not supported as much as in the past.  It sounds like your experience may be different so I'm hoping we can do something.

4 hours ago, K12Guy said:

This is really good news, since we will be in 4111 in mid-March. We've been wanting to try the Signature (SG) suite and my Loving Wife (LW) told me I had to wake up and pay attention to this post. Therefore, I have. And I might say it's been a true pleasure!

We've really enjoyed the Royal Suite (RS) on the Solstice class ships a few times and enjoy the extra half-bath (which I seem to be assigned to for some reason which escapes me, that I won't get into). Anyway, the two sinks in the main bath are really nice in the RS and I'm wondering if LW will be able to live with just one bathroom sink? She has informed me that directly across from the sink is a bigger sink some folks might call a tub. And, bless her heart, she said if she feels crowded I can also use that big sink on the veranda. Some folks might call it a jetted tub. I will call it a sink, however, and be sure to wear a robe or jammies when it's in use. It's actually big enough to take a bath and it sounds like your bride has tested it for same.

Now, how about the UGG brand slippers that are provided with the SG suites? Is that just a rumor? Not to mention the Michael Johnson shampoo and conditioner? And the underarm brush? Is it still being changed out between cruises, I wonder?

I think Celebrity pulls out all the stops for us since we really are Signature Steerage and not able (or willing) to afford the Reflection Suite. This time. That outside shower seems to be something that should be experienced at least one time by all Signature guests. I am guessing the tenants of said Reflection Suite will not tender an invitation. Snoot will prevail, perhaps.

Gee, and I am only in a Celebrity Suite.  Next time, next time......

10 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

Gee, and I am only in a Celebrity Suite.  Next time, next time......

We were in a Celebrity Suite aboard Millennium last summer, Seattle out and back to Alaska. Great cruise. I'm sure you will love the CS and enjoy our cruise!

17 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Also, want to have lunch at the Lawn Club Grill one day (ditto).

We kept saying that, too, but other things sounded better on the only two days it was open for lunch. 

14 hours ago, garyl62 said:

How many people have been at these parties?  Did Gordon stay as well?  We're working toward doing something when we cruise, but have heard there still could be some restrictions and the events are not supported as much as in the past.  It sounds like your experience may be different so I'm hoping we can do something.

I didn't count, but there were quite a few at both. There was plenty of room both in the Reflection Suite and the hallway, so it didn't feel crowded. Yes, Gordon was there at all times and magnificently orchestrated both. He's a master. 

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Debarkation question .. is facial recognition in use at Terminal 29?

It was not there today, but the lines for checking passports still moved very quickly. 

• Like 1

Could you please comment on the situation with the coronavirus on the ship?

Have a mentioned anything about people with positive tests or quarantining?

Have you been able to get off the ship and wander around the city?

We will be sailing in March and wondering what to expect.

Thanks for your time!

So, we were off the ship a couple hours ago and have been sipping Bloody Marys at the FLL Margaritaville. Debarkation was smooth as could be (especially since we just hung around in Michael's until they shooed us out).

The only issue was the can driver who tried to swindle us by saying it was a $16 flat rate to the airport and then gave me a bunch of grief when I wanted to pay with a credit card. He was trying to run off-meter. Having just gotten off the ship and feeling a tad cruel, I happily humored his crooked little jackal self until we pulled up departures. Just part of the fun. 😁

I keep saying it over and over, but this was just a lovely cruise. Yes, there are some quirks about the ship that we'd change if we could, but only a few actually affected how much we enjoyed ourselves. Now that we're off, I don't mind mentioning them.

First are the afternoon movies at the Lawn Club. I'll never understand the idea behind movies in public areas that aren't movie theaters, but it really doesn't make sense in the area that you market as a place to kick back and relax, abs or makes even less sense at the prime time to kick back and relax. Not to mention that the speakers are directly over the hammocks. That's the sort of cruelty that would invoke the 8th Amendment were it done by the government. 

Something else that's more particular to our suite (I think) was the goofy window between the bedroom and bathroom. Sure, you can switch it to a frosted state, but it still lets a lot of light through. That's a problem at night. Even the nightlight side through somewhat brightly, but nothing like how switching on any other light. Turn on any light in there at night, and the bedroom was downright illuminated. My wife and I are a couple of those wackos that like to sleep in the dark. I guess that window sounded like a good idea one, but it's like a shot of Fireball. It might sound like a good idea to someone sometimes, but it never actually is a good idea. Not ever. 

Then, there is the volume of the music and activities at the pool. It's just louder than it needs to be. Turn it down a little bit, and no one will notice (much less care) except to the extent that one might notice that one no longer needs to shout. The easy fix on this one was just to go to the Sunset Bar, but it still was a bit of a drag to have to get up and move from the pool when the band or an activity would kick in. 

The last, very minor thing, was the TV at The Porch. Here you are at a specialty restaurant, and there's a screen that's constantly running an ad. For Pete's sake, did someone have a brainstorming meeting on how they could be tacky? If you want to run something like that in the shops or the future cruise area, go nuts. Putting that in a specialty restaurant (or in the Retreat Lounge, as I saw it done on Summit and Millennium) is poor judgment--absolutely inappropriate.

Let me emphasize that none of the above detracted much from our lovely cruise, but all could done much better. All take away a good deal more than they add. 

That's about all the complaining you'll hear from me about this cruise. If we could've stayed on board, we would've even if they made me watch a movie and keep the bathroom light on all night! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dan722 said:

Could you please comment on the situation with the coronavirus on the ship?

Have a mentioned anything about people with positive tests or quarantining?

Have you been able to get off the ship and wander around the city?

We will be sailing in March and wondering what to expect.

Thanks for your time!

You're welcome! 

The Captain came on the PA Thursday afternoon around 1:30 and announced that there was a confirmed case on board. He said that the passenger was "in good shape" and that contact tracing was underway, but that's the last I heard about it or much anything else covid. 

Yes, we were allowed to get off the ship on your own for a tour or just to wander around. Many did. All the ports had mask mandates in place. 

Who knows what next month will bring, though? I've learned that expectations aren't worth much, especially that far out. Better just to take things as they come. 

15 hours ago, garyl62 said:

I just realized that I didn't address part of your concern. 

I wasn't aware of any resistance to putting on the parties. In fact, they were supported. There were trays and trays of food from the ship, and they brought up beer, wine, and soft drinks.  They even put up something like twenty balloons in the hallway for the hall party. Both were real productions! 

Gordon seemed to truly enjoy putting these on. His boss also stopped by the hall party and seemed genuinely pleased. We all were just gushing about how great they were. 

So, unless there's another covid cruise crisis, I'd bet you can do something. No telling, though. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I just realized that I didn't address part of your concern. 

I wasn't aware of any resistance to putting on the parties. In fact, they were supported. There were trays and trays of food from the ship, and they brought up beer, wine, and soft drinks.  They even put up something like twenty balloons in the hallway for the hall party. Both were real productions! 

Gordon seemed to truly enjoy putting these on. His boss also stopped by the hall party and seemed genuinely pleased. We all were just gushing about how great they were. 

So, unless there's another covid cruise crisis, I'd bet you can do something. No telling, though. 

Where are these parties and how are they coordinated?  I'm so curious.  I love a good party!

7 hours ago, capsplace said:

If you still have it, can you share The Who’s on Board (or whatever it’s called) so we can see who’s what (CD, Captain, etc.)?

Shoot. I don't know if that came home with us. I'll check with DW later. She's pretty much conked out for the night. 

2 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

Where are these parties and how are they coordinated?  I'm so curious.  I love a good party!

The parties were done by the Gordon, the butler looking after us. In the case of the hallway party, DW and a couple other folks had the idea because we all got along so well. One of the others asked Gordon, and he just ran with it. 

I imagine the Reflection Suite party came about the same way. They asked Gordon, and whammo! 

16 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

The parties were done by the Gordon, the butler looking after us. In the case of the hallway party, DW and a couple other folks had the idea because we all got along so well. One of the others asked Gordon, and he just ran with it. 

I imagine the Reflection Suite party came about the same way. They asked Gordon, and whammo! 

Wow, I'm so glad things changed with Celebrity.  I remember on our last voyage a couple of years ago, couples were complaining about the butlers.  One couple was in one of the higher suites and they hardly ever saw their butler.  I'm so looking forward to our suite in April.  

• Like 2