The Daily for Sunday 02/06/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, canals said:

I worked with a few  Deans/VP's  and finally graduated!   What a great department you worked in.  I love when I hear of all the wonderful things that are happening at the college.  Small world.   

Sorry, I didn’t mean to leave the impression that I was in the Music Theatre Department.  In administration you tend to think in familial terms.  A failure in one area is a failure for all.  Conversely, a success in one area is a success for all.  We (you and I) probably had a connection in some form or another.  I worked in IT.

• Like 16

We are happy with our new upstairs windows. Our house is a 1 1/2 story and the upstairs used to be attic. It now has a spare bedroom and an alcove where we have our computers (and spend all day reading CC 😉). It is noticeably warmer with the new windows and there is no condensation (or frost) on the panes now. 

I think we will be making a meatloaf with ground beef and ground pork for dinner tonight. Mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, and green beans on the side. I scored a box of Dare fudge sandwich creme cookies (or biscuits I should say since they are Canadian!) for desert along with some "coconut explosion" ice cream from Wisconsin.

• Like 30

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to leave the impression that I was in the Music Theatre Department.  In administration you tend to think in familial terms.  A failure in one area is a failure for all.  Conversely, a success in one area is a success for all.  We (you and I) probably had a connection in some form or another.  I worked in IT.

Yes it is easy to think in familial terms.  I perk up with interest when I hear Sheridan.   IT department was my friend many times.    Now I am curious  please email me  g_farrall at hotmail dot com  Thanks.

• Like 18

d81e7c80e3b4f82e32d706c866d381d5.jpg

I am currently watching yesterday Luge competition.  When I was young I always dreamt of doing this.  Now I'm old and I think these folks are crazy.

@Overhead Fred If I was still living in St. Paul I's show up for dinner!  What a nice warm feel good dinner.

@grapau27 The two of you look wonderful in these pics!  By the way, I can tell you have been dieting, those pictures of you in Dubai show a much "larger" Graham.  Doing good!  Regardless of how much we tease you.

@dfish  Thank you for your kind words yesterday.  And for the recipes each day.  Today's recipes  look particularly good.  I would be a pescatarian if I didn't like meat so much.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@dfish  Thank you for your kind words yesterday.  And for the recipes each day.  Today's recipes  look particularly good.  I would be a pescatarian if I didn't like meat so much.

That is what the Daily is about.   

• Like 21

Good morning all!

I'll pass on the chopsticks, drink and wine, have never been to Brazil.  The meal sounds good, and reminds me we need to get some fish for the freezer.  Pre-Covid we would stock up at Pike Place Market periodically, but haven't been there in ages now.  

Thank you to all who have posted photos of the Queen.  She's an amazing woman, I would love to see her in person.  

We had a nice visit yesterday with DD, DSIL and the grandsons.  DD is putting her summer calendar together for childcare.  She usually has 2 nannies, DH and me, and DSIL's parents to cover the days.  The boys also have some summer camps to fill the days plus they'll have some vacation camping trips.  So much easier during the school year!

@dfishwill be thinking of you tomorrow when you have that tooth pulled!

Prayers for all on the care list and cheers to all who are celebrating.

• Like 25

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline said thank you too.

The hat was black to match her outfit.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220206_154535_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG_20160510_175447.jpg

Glancing around at the other guests, I believe Pauline was the most stylish of the attendees. Did it rain? I noticed she was prepared. 

St Louis Sal 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!  I’ll celebrate chopsticks today and leave the others. I had to learn how to use chopsticks fast when my best friend took me to San Francisco in 1973 to a family wedding. It was a Chinese wedding and I was in the minority. At the sit down dinner afterward only chopsticks were offered. She had drilled me in the proper way to use them, I think I succeeded because I didn’t drop anything. 🙂

I don’t remember ever having grouper before. I’m sure you could use any fish in Debbie’s recipes today, thank you @dfish.  

Graham @grapau27 — those pictures of you and Pauline are wonderful. Does Pauline own many hats?  The one she was wearing is beautiful.  Also, thank you for today’s sermon. 

It was a cold 31F here this morning but it is supposed to start warming up midweek with lows in the 40’s, high’s in the 70’s. And this is what we think about Groundhog Day. 

6B4B61AD-5ED9-47F4-B6EE-FD886C0F40DE.thumb.jpeg.34b172d337797e3ecf77ff490d89600e.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

1 minute ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Glancing around at the other guests, I believe Pauline was the most stylish of the attendees. Did it rain? I noticed she was prepared. 

St Louis Sal 

Thank you Sal.

It was light rain for part of the time.

We had an excellent tour inside Buckingham palace first and it only rained briefly when we were in the garden.

Graham

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

I like frozen yogurt (when watching calories), no to lame ducks, and can barely use chopsticks (so I use a fork).

Good quote. A no to fish from me. I'll pass on the drink. The wine sounds good.

I haven't been to Brazil. Thanks for the pictures.

The sun is out, and although it was single digits earlier, we're going above freezing today. Yay! That should melt some of the snow. And the coming week looks ok, which is good since I have 3 appointments. Today I think I'll work on sorting papers to get ready for my tax accountant. It's my yearly file cabinet purge and shredding papers. My tax guy said I could choose in office, on the phone or uploading papers via their secure portal. I did the upload last year and it worked perfectly.

@grapau27 Thanks for the sermon. A big salute to the Queen on her Platinum Jubilee. 70 years is amazing. How fun to go to a Royal Garden Party! Nice picture of the both of you and as usual Pauline is looking very stylish.

@kazu I hope the roads are clear so that you can visit Jose today.

@ger_77 It sounds like a very nice visit with your friend. So sad about your friend's DW. Dementia is terrible; my mother didn't know who I was for the last couple of years of her life.

@dfish I hope the tooth extraction isn't painful. I keep hoping with this crown falling off that they don't suggest extraction; I always said I want to die with all my teeth (I still have my wisdom teeth)!

@smitty34877 I'm glad you were able to face time Tana yesterday and that she is upbeat.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Greetings. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

I like frozen yogurt, but would never choose it over ice cream. I am comfortable with chopsticks. There is a long list of people whom I woud perfer to be "lame ducks".

I have heard that qoute attributed to many people- neverthe less, it is very true.

Grouper is one of my favorite fishes. The recipies all sond great. The drink sounds interesting, I will give it a try.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 21

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We have just got home from church.

We sang the National Anthem at the end of the service for Her Majesty the Queen Platinum (70th) Jubilee.

Graham.

I think I have not expressed my appreciation for your sharing of these messages. They are so riveting, truths delivered simply that touch our hearts. I may have missed it, did you ever share your priest’s name? I would like to quote him in my upcoming meditation at our local retirement home where I preach semi-regularly. 

Thanks again for sharing,

St Louis Sal

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!  I’ll celebrate chopsticks today and leave the others. I had to learn how to use chopsticks fast when my best friend took me to San Francisco in 1973 to a family wedding. It was a Chinese wedding and I was in the minority. At the sit down dinner afterward only chopsticks were offered. She had drilled me in the proper way to use them, I think I succeeded because I didn’t drop anything. 🙂

I don’t remember ever having grouper before. I’m sure you could use any fish in Debbie’s recipes today, thank you @dfish.  

Graham @grapau27 — those pictures of you and Pauline are wonderful. Does Pauline own many hats?  The one she was wearing is beautiful.  Also, thank you for today’s sermon. 

It was a cold 31F here this morning but it is supposed to start warming up midweek with lows in the 40’s, high’s in the 70’s. And this is what we think about Groundhog Day. 

6B4B61AD-5ED9-47F4-B6EE-FD886C0F40DE.thumb.jpeg.34b172d337797e3ecf77ff490d89600e.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Thank you for your nice words Sharon.

Pauline has a few hats that she has bought for special occasions.

Pleased you liked today's sermon.

Graham.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

I like frozen yogurt (when watching calories), no to lame ducks, and can barely use chopsticks (so I use a fork).

Good quote. A no to fish from me. I'll pass on the drink. The wine sounds good.

I haven't been to Brazil. Thanks for the pictures.

The sun is out, and although it was single digits earlier, we're going above freezing today. Yay! That should melt some of the snow. And the coming week looks ok, which is good since I have 3 appointments. Today I think I'll work on sorting papers to get ready for my tax accountant. It's my yearly file cabinet purge and shredding papers. My tax guy said I could choose in office, on the phone or uploading papers via their secure portal. I did the upload last year and it worked perfectly.

@grapau27 Thanks for the sermon. A big salute to the Queen on her Platinum Jubilee. 70 years is amazing. How fun to go to a Royal Garden Party! Nice picture of the both of you and as usual Pauline is looking very stylish.

@kazu I hope the roads are clear so that you can visit Jose today.

@ger_77 It sounds like a very nice visit with your friend. So sad about your friend's DW. Dementia is terrible; my mother didn't know who I was for the last couple of years of her life.

@dfish I hope the tooth extraction isn't painful. I keep hoping with this crown falling off that they don't suggest extraction; I always said I want to die with all my teeth (I still have my wisdom teeth)!

@smitty34877 I'm glad you were able to face time Tana yesterday and that she is upbeat.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

You are welcome Vanessa and thank you for your lovely comments about Pauline.

Graham.

• Like 12

Thank you Rich and all who make this the place to be. I’m sharing my second cup of coffee with the reading of this. I learned to use chopsticks back when I was in college about a million years ago and enjoy them whenever I can. I have a good selection in my silverware drawer and have always encouraged my kids and grandkids to use them. I love sushi and I care a set in my bag even on a HAL ship. I hate the bamboo ones they have in the lido. I am wishing everyone a warm and safe Sunday. 

• Like 24

6 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

I think I have not expressed my appreciation for your sharing of these messages. They are so riveting, truths delivered simply that touch our hearts. I may have missed it, did you ever share your priest’s name? I would like to quote him in my upcoming meditation at our local retirement home where I preach semi-regularly. 

Thanks again for sharing,

St Louis Sal

Reverend David Chadwick.

He is delighted that I am sharing his sermons with lovely friends and church people on the daily. 

• Like 16

Learned chopsticks on our first trip to Japan in the seventies.  At the restaurants we frequented it was chopsticks or starve.

Most meals included a miso soup.  There were no spoons, bowls were lifted to the mouth to consume the broth. At the bottom of the bowl there was always a surprise - unlike the tofu and seaweed commonly served in the U.S. we would find things like a small catfish head floating at the bottom of the cup. One day there were a few baby clams resting down there, each still firmly attached to their open shells. I watched in envy as the locals quickly and neatly disengaged the clam meat from the shell with their chopsticks.  I wanted those clams … After trying to get the meat in various ways including with one chopsticks in each hand I think I might have unceremoniously involved my fingers in the battle for clam meat, but finally won. 

Today I will still use chopsticks at times but since, even on the best of days with a knife and fork, I tend to wear a portion of every meal I prefer a fork if available. 

• Like 24

Good morning all, and thanks for the Daily news.  I am always amazed at how so many of the references  on the Daily bring back memories!  "Chopsticks"- when we lived in Nairobi, we regularly went to a favourite Chinese restaurant, and the rule was that whoever didn't use the chopsticks had to pay the bill.  The children learned really quickly how to use them. They were not about to give up their pocket money. "Grouper" - my very favourite fish when I lived in Nassau.  I was there for 5 years before we married, I was a "belonger" and voted for the first time there.

Graham, thanks for the sermon, and for the pictures of you and Pauline at Buckingham Palace.  Doesn't it usually rain for the Queen's tea party?

I haven't been to Macapa, but had a wonderful time on our "last-minute" Amazon cruise on the Prinsendam.

I need to check up on the Sailaway thread to see what is happening on Eurodam.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1