If I already have a binax NOW test kit, can I use that with an emed appointment?

I'm suspecting the answer is no, and yet what I have here are essentially the same as what I'd order through RCL. Just curious since I don't see anything about it on the RCL info. Obviously a home test cannot be expired. I notice that when you initiate the online visit it asks for you to sign in to an NAVICA account - so does that info come with the test? Perhaps that's the hook that requires purchasing their tests rather than using your own (?)  

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

to show...what exactly? 

there are different binax tests.

Edit:  there are a lot of YouTube videos explaining the process.  Make sure you have navica app.  

Edited by jean87510

12 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm suspecting the answer is no, and yet what I have here are essentially the same as what I'd order through RCL. Just curious since I don't see anything about it on the RCL info. Assuming what I have is not expired (which they're not). I notice that when you initiate the online visit it asks for you to sign in to an NAVICA account - so does that info come with the test? Perhaps that's the hook that requires purchasing their tests rather than using your own (?)  

There are two types of Binax Now tests.  You need the one that says Binax Now AG card.  It's a prescription--which is filled by Optum ( or emed) when you order the test.  If it's not that type, then no, you can't use it.  The price for the AG card tests quite a bit higher because that covers the cost of the medical proctor who will watch you the entire time you open the box, take the stuff out, do the test.  

• Like 3

To be specific, there are two different tests.  One for home use that isn't proctored and one to be done with a proctor observing.  The first one is just a plain OTC one that costs less.  The proctored one is considered "prescription" and costs more.  The OTC you can buy in any store that sells pharmacy type items.  The proctored one has to be purchased online through either Optum or Emed.

• Like 2

Just now, rockmom said:

Did you see what I said?  That only the top one is the kind they can use, and NOT the bottom. I was showing the OP the  difference.  

Did you see I deleted and changed my post?  I know you didn't because I just did it.  I originally thought it was OP that posted.   I know which tests can be used and which ones can't.

• Like 1

Just now, rockmom said:

@OnTheJourney  Since apparently my post with the two photos is confusing to some even though I noted that only the top one will work for a cruise,  you can only use that top one, that says AG CARD.  You download the Navica app from the app store for your phone--apple or android.  

Seriously?  It's not confusing.  I just posted TOOOO quickly and deleted it.  My post only lives on in your quote.

Edited by BND

Thanks for clarification. So RCL has simply found a way to make as much money on it as possible! Granted that by using their tests they also exert control over the entire process, i.e. quality of the test, expiration, etc. Otherwise there'd be no reason (at least I don't see one) that any qualifying home test kit couldn't also be proctored. 

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Seriously?  It's not confusing.  I just posted TOOOO quickly and deleted it.  My post only lives on in your quote.

As well as being burned into our collective memories..............................😁

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rockmom said:

You need the top one.  The bottom won't doesn't qualify.  

So does the AG version include one or two tests?  I'm told that typically, for accuracy, two tests are done. So if I order 2 kits - that is only two tests total- one for me and one for DW, right? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Just now, OnTheJourney said:

So does the AG version include one or two tests?  I'm told that typically, for accuracy, two tests are done. 

Each of those boxes have one test in them.  Depending on if you order through Optum or Emed, they come in 2 or 3 packs (optum) or 6 packs (emed).  You only need to take one test, however it is wise to have a spare for each person in case of 'user error' if you somehow mess up and drop the test, or if there's a defect in the test itself.   Or if the test is 'inconclusive', which is supposed to be very rare.  If you go to YouTube and search for Pre Cruise Covid test or similar, there's a lot of cruisers who have put up some good videos of the entire process.  

4 minutes ago, rockmom said:

there's a lot of cruisers who have put up some good videos of the entire process.  

Oh....joy....just what I want to watch. People sticking a swab up their nose while someone else watches. The world has grown strange indeed. In all seriousness, thanks...I really appreciate it. Just have to put up with all this I suppose if I want to get on a boat. Still debating on doing a car trip instead. Probably won't decide till about 2 weeks before. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

So does the AG version include one or two tests?  I'm told that typically, for accuracy, two tests are done. So if I order 2 kits - that is only two tests total- one for me and one for DW, right? 

Here's the link to Optum  https://store.optum.com/royal-caribbean/

Or you can go to emed  https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en 

7 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks for clarification. So RCL has simply found a way to make as much money on it as possible! Granted that by using their tests they also exert control over the entire process, i.e. quality of the test, expiration, etc. Otherwise there'd be no reason (at least I don't see one) that any qualifying home test kit couldn't also be proctored. 

The difference is one is a prescription, and the other isn't. The one that's prescribed includes a provider's expertise in proctoring the exam and using their professional knowledge to certify that the result is as stated. Yes, you pay for their time and knowledge. 

• Like 1

Just now, OnTheJourney said:

Oh....joy....just what I want to watch. People sticking a swab up their nose while someone else watches. The world has grown strange indeed. In all seriousness, thanks...I really appreciate it. Just have to put up with all this I suppose if I want to get on a boat. 

hahahaha, yeah, but I watched anyway so I would at least have a clue as to what I was doing before dialing in to take the test myself for my sailing in 12 days.