If I already have a binax NOW test kit, can I use that with an emed appointment?

12 hours ago, Coralc said:

Really? You've been reading along here all this time and contributing to all of these testing posts about your reservations with pre-cruise testing. And you are actually asking a question like that? I guess it is helpful for others, but almost falsely naive on your part. :classic_smile:

I thought I was having a case of Deja Vu. I remember a couple of weeks ago going through all these questions with OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad I saw this thread. I "almost" bought test kits for our March cruise. I can get reimbursed by my insurance but they aren't the ones that are "proctored". My plan is to hit CVS 2 days prior to sailing but to have the home tests on hand just in case. It seems there have been instances where appointments have been cancelled at the last minute !!! What would happen if you get to FLL and cannot find a test ?? 

14 minutes ago, Ray4Fun said:

When I google emed, I see back in summer 21 the wait times for the proctor was an hour plus. Has anyone here taken the test with emed recently? What was the wait time?  

It can depend on the time of day you do the test.  I have used the eMed testing for a dozen cruises since September and always test early morning around 6 or 7 am and my longest wait time was 8 minutes on January 1.  Yes, they are open 24/7.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tuckster said:

Glad I saw this thread. I "almost" bought test kits for our March cruise. I can get reimbursed by my insurance but they aren't the ones that are "proctored". My plan is to hit CVS 2 days prior to sailing but to have the home tests on hand just in case. It seems there have been instances where appointments have been cancelled at the last minute !!! What would happen if you get to FLL and cannot find a test ?? 

Worst case scenario there are mobile test labs at the cruise terminals that you can make an appt. for but they charge a fee starting at $99 pp - fee varies per port.    I know the one at Cape liberty (Bayonne, NJ) charges $150 pp.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time

scroll to the bottom of the above link and click on the port and you can find out the fee.

Since cases continue to decline as expected testing at pharmacies should become more stable, hopefully 🙂 but having those at home test kits tests takes all the worry out of trying to find somewhere and waiting for results.   

• Like 1

My wife and I have used the eMed Testing and Binax now tests a number of times for travel in multiple (countries/time zones) and never had a long wait <5mins.  I recently used one for boarding on Oasis.  My understanding is the problems they had with long wait times was around the Summer Olympics and after that fiasco they greatly increased staffing.  A couple notes from my usage:

1. The test has to have the seal around it that says "Don't open until instructed to do so" to be compatible with the proctored service

2. The test does not need to be used by the purchaser

3. They do have expiration dates.  Some dates have been extended.  There is a spreadsheet online somewhere that lists the lot numbers with new expiration dates.  I have received expired tests.

4. The system is fairly robust.  I was disconnected from the service in the middle of a test once because my battery died.  I reconnected about 15mins later and was still able to finish.

5. For those wondering, it is a bit of an honor system.  They watch you take the test, but then you ask you to tell them what the result is (how many lines do you see?.)  Some proctors pay more attention then others.

Enjoy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks...planning on making an appt. either at a local CVS or else we have an urgent care center (even closer) that does them. My in-laws did the Walgreen ID now. I don't care as long as I have the proper documentation to get on the boat. 

perhaps you should.  It doesn't sound like you can navigate how to do the test even though there are hundreds of posts on cruisecritic.com, YouTube videos, let alone instructions on the website.  If you can't comprehend or understand the basic instructions, you are better off just having someone do it for you and hope you get your results back in time.  I found the emed tests very easy if you just follow the instructions to the T.  Watching a video helped as well.  I prefer them as opposed to going to be tested.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

Can someone explain what 2 days is?  For a Sunday departure is it anytime on Friday or does it have to be after 5:00 on Friday if that's the departure time?

Anytime Fri, Sat. or even departure day, but I would rather do earliest (Fri)

1 hour ago, ericosmith said:

Can someone explain what 2 days is?  For a Sunday departure is it anytime on Friday or does it have to be after 5:00 on Friday if that's the departure time?

They go by 'calendar days' rather than time of day, so any time on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  You could literally do it at one minute past midnight on Thursday night (Friday morning).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

When I google emed, I see back in summer 21 the wait times for the proctor was an hour plus. Has anyone here taken the test with emed recently? What was the wait time?

6 people in our group took it Friday. Never had to wait more than 20-30 seconds. 

Note that there are two waits - one when you first start the process and are waiting for a proctor who will walk you through taking the test, and another wait at the end of the 15-minute timer to get a proctor to view and record the test results. You'll have a different person for each of those.

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Worst case scenario there are mobile test labs at the cruise terminals that you can make an appt. for but they charge a fee starting at $99 pp - fee varies per port.    I know the one at Cape liberty (Bayonne, NJ) charges $150 pp.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-dont-find-a-pre-cruise-test-or-get-test-results-in-time

scroll to the bottom of the above link and click on the port and you can find out the fee.

Since cases continue to decline as expected testing at pharmacies should become more stable, hopefully 🙂 but having those at home test kits tests takes all the worry out of trying to find somewhere and waiting for results.   

Thanks for the link. I keep checking for my March cruise out of San Juan (back up plan) and it keeps saying no times available. Any idea how far in advance testing sites open to schedule?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mooreland1999 said:

My wife and I have used the eMed Testing and Binax now tests a number of times for travel in multiple (countries/time zones) and never had a long wait <5mins.  I recently used one for boarding on Oasis.  My understanding is the problems they had with long wait times was around the Summer Olympics and after that fiasco they greatly increased staffing.  A couple notes from my usage:

1. The test has to have the seal around it that says "Don't open until instructed to do so" to be compatible with the proctored service

2. The test does not need to be used by the purchaser

3. They do have expiration dates.  Some dates have been extended.  There is a spreadsheet online somewhere that lists the lot numbers with new expiration dates.  I have received expired tests.

4. The system is fairly robust.  I was disconnected from the service in the middle of a test once because my battery died.  I reconnected about 15mins later and was still able to finish.

5. For those wondering, it is a bit of an honor system.  They watch you take the test, but then you ask you to tell them what the result is (how many lines do you see?.)  Some proctors pay more attention then others.

Enjoy

What exactly happened when you were disconnected mid test...how easy was it to then sign in again and resume the process if you were during the 15 min wait time for results?

17 hours ago, BazingAu said:

No, it's a business partnership. It's not a handy dandy link they're sending you out of the goodness of their hearts. I'm glad they're able to make some money on it, but I would have preferred NCL's method of partnering with CVS because then it would be free.

It's clearer on the Celebrity side, but again, they literally are saying this is a business partnership. "For your convenience we have partnered with Optum, an authorized medical provider, to offer home-test kits for fully vaccinated guests."

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/ITK/AX_CS_EG_EQ_ML_RF_SI_SM_Precruise_Testing_Required_Extended_Thru_Nov_30_Guest_Ltr_10-19-21.pdf

And they literally call it their own storefront. "Visit Royal Caribbean’s online storefront, powered by Optum, to order your kit."

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2021_2022/RTS_FAQs.pdf

Sorry, but you are wrong

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thanks for the link. I keep checking for my March cruise out of San Juan (back up plan) and it keeps saying no times available. Any idea how far in advance testing sites open to schedule?

I guess it varies per location.  Right now I could book for testing at Cape Liberty. NJ for my march 20th and 27th cruise.

What exactly happened when you were disconnected mid test...how easy was it to then sign in again and resume the process if you were during the 15 min wait time for results?

It was during the 15 minute wait and the delay extended past the wait time.  I thought I was going to have problems, so I called them and they told me just to sign in again. I did and it resumed with the "finding someone to review results" step.

As an FYI, this was the only time I had issues.  It was for a last minute trip and I was trying to do it on a desktop computer. I could not get any browser to work with my external web cam.  I have never had problems with a laptop and built in camera.  I had to switch to my phone (hence the battery problem.)  Note that there is no app if you use phone, you still need to use website.  Phone app is only for retrieving results.  I strongly suggest not using phone, unless you have a good way to mount it hands-free for the observation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mooreland1999 said:

It was during the 15 minute wait and the delay extended past the wait time.  I thought I was going to have problems, so I called them and they told me just to sign in again. I did and it resumed with the "finding someone to review results" step.

As an FYI, this was the only time I had issues.  It was for a last minute trip and I was trying to do it on a desktop computer. I could not get any browser to work with my external web cam.  I have never had problems with a laptop and built in camera.  I had to switch to my phone (hence the battery problem.)  Note that there is no app if you use phone, you still need to use website.  Phone app is only for retrieving results.  I strongly suggest not using phone, unless you have a good way to mount it hands-free for the observation.

So a lap top is a better choice? Thanks so much.

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Worked much easier for me, I could angle the webcam easily for them to see, and observe what I was doing. Some people can use the phone, or setup against a book, or shoe, etc to hold it in place. Trying to adjust was easier for me with laptop screen.  YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ashland said:

There is a crude idiom about monkeys and footballs.  That is how I felt using the phone.  You need to be able to see the proctor on the screen to talk to them and follow along, but you also need to have the phone pointed at the test to show what you are doing.  Those seem to be conflicting goals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mooreland1999 said:

There is a crude idiom about monkeys and footballs.  That is how I felt using the phone.  You need to be able to see the proctor on the screen to talk to them and follow along, but you also need to have the phone pointed at the test to show what you are doing.  Those seem to be conflicting goals.

And so many say how easy it is to do on an iPhone....doesn't seem like it to me and thanks for confirming what I've been thinking and stressing over.

And so many say how easy it is to do on an iPhone....doesn't seem like it to me and thanks for confirming what I've been thinking and stressing over.

I've done it a couple different times on a laptop (Chromebook).  I don't even want to think about the logistics of doing it with a handheld phone (and I don't have a fancy adjustable stand for my phone).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mooreland1999 said:

You need to be able to see the proctor on the screen to talk to them and follow along, but you also need to have the phone pointed at the test to show what you are doing.  Those seem to be conflicting goals.

Exactly the way I look at it... trying to make sure everything's lined up on that little screen just seems like a fustercluck to me.

• Haha 1