No Lobster on our next cruse

Vlgg731

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Ok so what did she say when you talked to her?????

(You DID talk to her, right????)

Lol no I was on the sidewalk on the other side of the very tall fence it a large compound but fully visible from the street 

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can bet that almost 100% lobster you get on a cruise ship are warm water lobster.   The cost and availability of Cold Water Lobsters would be prohibitive.   The only time I've seen "Real" Lobster is a special dinner at about $75 a person on  a New England cruise.  For that they had whole lobster with both body and claws.    Even what they serve in Murano is warm water lobster.

Sorry but  the lobster that was served on our  Alaskan cruise was from Maine.  We were told that the lobsters came from Maine and I know my lobster.  We also had fresh Maine lobster served to us after a stop at Portland, Maine. They were brought on board.    But your statement may be correct for "lobster" served in cruises leaving from Florida.  

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can bet that almost 100% lobster you get on a cruise ship are warm water lobster.   The cost and availability of Cold Water Lobsters would be prohibitive.   The only time I've seen "Real" Lobster is a special dinner at about $75 a person on  a New England cruise.  For that they had whole lobster with both body and claws.    Even what they serve in Murano is warm water lobster.

Back in 2019 before the world (and prices) went crazy, I ordered a Surf & Turf on EDGE which had real Maine lobster (tail and claws).  It was in the Fine Cut.  I think I paid an extra fee for it.  I'm sure the lobster was frozen, not fresh, since this was a Caribbean cruise out of FLL.  Still pretty good though.  

When we did a Canada/NE cruise on Summit, they served the warm water no-claw type on board, but we had fresh lobster and lobster rolls in the ports in Maine and Canada.  It was inexpensive then.

In 2021 in Maine last summer, lobster rolls were around $30 and lobster meat was $65/lb.  A live lobster (1.5 lbs) was around $11/lb.  

Edited by TeeRick

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

OK, thank you.  I guess I should try that.  Since we will certainly try Murano at least once on our September cruise, maybe more.  Is there any way to know if that is "real" lobster, i.e., cold water and not some spiny Caribbean crawfish?

The easiest way to tell the difference is that Cold Water lobsters have 2 large claws.  The warm water lobsters do not.  But if you just get a lobster tail it will not be easy to tell visually at least.  But by taste, the cold water is sweeter.   In a lobster roll, look for pieces of claw meat.

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

Did you enjoy the George H. W. Bush museum?

It was incredible.   On the same cruise we visited JFK Museum in Boston also.

We also saw the Bush's on the beach near their home on the the water tour.   Not close enough to see them in detail but could identity them and SS.

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It was incredible.   On the same cruise we visited JFK Museum in Boston also.

We also saw the Bush's on the beach near their home on the the water tour.   Not close enough to see them in detail but could identity them and SS.

I loved the JFK museum. My cruise buddy lives outside of Boston and that is one of the places we visited when I went to visit her. We did the tour first and then went back through and took our time and looked at and read everything.

Laura

Just now, Laurab23 said:

I loved the JFK museum. My cruise buddy lives outside of Boston and that is one of the places we visited when I went to visit her. We did the tour first and then went back through and took our time and looked at and read everything.

Laura

Everyone from out of state that visits us, we take them to the JFK museum.  Before it was built on the point, his wish was to have it built near Harvard.  The months and months and months of dragging on from the Cambridge elites, Mrs. Kennedy finally said enough is enough, we found an even better place that Jack would have enjoyed even more as it is right on the water.  Class act that lady was!