The Daily for Thursday 02/17/2022

richwmn

1fd47591f693830476c37ec78317a051--cat-hotel-cats-humor.jpg

I have been trying to book a hotel with two rooms for the trip down to Sanibel.  I'm an IHG type of person, been a member for years.  I like to stop around Ocala or just south of Gainesville, and checking last week, all hotels were booked in this area.  And what is available is twice the price.  I of course googled to see why, and got no response at all.

Meanwhile, the BFF said he would fly down on the 27th, then changed the date to the 28th of April, but we have (for the first time in more than two years) symphony tickets for that night) so I asked him to change it back to the 27th, so that we could all go to the symphony.   

I have no idea why i am making plans like this when i have no idea what the medical reports will show.  If surgery has to be done soon, then what is re cooperation time, and if I can hold off until mid May for surgery, then that  might be the way to go.  All these questions to ask the doctor tomorrow, and DH isn't allowed in with me for these tests, or doctors appointment.  He has to stay in the car.  I think he may sneak in to see if our dermatologist is still around (we were warned he was moving to TX). 

Well, today I am going to deliver the two necklaces, I hope the mother likes them. I do enjoy doing the pattern and laying them out, but stringing them?  Ee gads, my vision is terrible!  Takes me much longer these days to actual get them on the wire.  

In the middle of the night I heard an animal scream out side.  Was truly hoping it was not my feral, who would not go on the porch last night.  I went out to feed her, and she was fine, so now I will be looking for an animal that is not mine.

The weather man keeps telling us to be weather ready today. Right now, it's cloudy, and cool, and I will be working when the storms hit here.  DH is at a meeting early this evening, and I will worry about him driving in pouring rain, in the dark. 

The crock pot ribs turned out very well, I thing the secret is that after 8 hours in the crock pot, you turn the oven up to  375. and cover the ribs with BBQ sauce, and bake for 15 minutes or until the sauce sticks to the ribs..  I decided to use a Krogers select sauce infused with coffee.  It was sooo good!

Have a great day! 

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 36
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We often do random acts of kindness, anything from paying for coffee for the person behind us to dropping off a gift basket on someone's door step.  Often when we are on trips, we'll see an individual having lunch or breakfast by themselves and will ask the waiter to add their bill to ours.  It makes us feel good, and we hope it does for the recipients as well.

We had a great PTA at our son's school; they accepted input from parents at large and raised a lot of money for things needed in and around the school.  I'm pretty sure I've learned a lot more about science in the past 2 years than at any other time of my life.

Well it's cold and dark here on the "frozen tundra" this morning; -29C and with the wind it brings the temp down to -36C (-20F and -32).   Brrr.   I know many places are starting to get in their seed starter kits, etc., but I just can't envision it right now.  Maybe once the glaciers in the yard start receding, I'll feel more like gardening.

Wow, today's drink sounds super sweet to me; I like sweet drinks, but this one might be over the top.  It's interesting that they add red velvet cake mix to it!   The wine sounds nice, but is way over my budget, so hope others can enjoy it for me.   Speaking of wine, several of you have asked if I can return the unopened Cardboardeaux - unfortunately due to Covid, that's not possible, so it's looking like we'll be having a lot of sangria this summer.  LOL

@rafinmd  BON VOYAGE!   I hope you have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the pampering it brings.  You deserve a break - I know we'll all look forward to your reviews.

Not a lot happening for us today, we have to bring back DH's sleep study kit (he had to have a do-over, as they couldn't get a good reading from the first one a couple of weeks ago), so that means we'll likely go out for breakfast after.  Groceries, then home where we'll stay and keep warm for the balance of the day.

I like today's menu suggestion, but don't have any steak on hand.  I guess it could be done with chicken, which we always have in the freezer, so if I pick up the right ingredients on our grocery list, it's now looking like it'll be fajitas and Spanish rice on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.   The glasses will be raised to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear your masks, wash your hands, be well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 34

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach

The PTA is an important organization. I was always involved with that when my kids were in school. The meal looks great.

We have not been to todays port, looking forward to pictures

@rafinmd Have a wonderful trip. Enjoy your time back on board.

I have been anxiously waiting to see if Australia is going to open. Cruise ban extended again. We are scheduled to go in October but...   I checked one of the port schedule sites  yesterday and it only shows the Noordam going as far as French Polynesia. All Australia and New Zealand ports removed. Showed other ships but not ours.  So I will continue to wait and hope it was a glitch.

Playing golf this afternoon. Always a good time.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from Curacao.  A beautiful sunny day with wind to match.  Prayers to everyone on Roy's care list and have a lovely trip Roy!   

Today is also International Cat Day. In memory of my two. Lydia and Tiny. A Maine Coon and a Korat.  Here is Lydia, Tiny is trapped in my laptop.  

3649.jpeg

IMG_20220217_074410647.jpg

IMG_20220217_055823614.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Wow, today's drink sounds super sweet to me; I like sweet drinks, but this one might be over the top.  It's interesting that they add red velvet cake mix to it!   The wine sounds nice, but is way over my budget, so hope others can enjoy it for me.   Speaking of wine, several of you have asked if I can return the unopened Cardboardeaux - unfortunately due to Covid, that's not possible, so it's looking like we'll be having a lot of sangria this summer.  LOL

You could also make a hot spiced wine with it.  I stud and orange with cloves and use juniper berries, nutmeg, cinnamon and the orange.  They all give it a flavor that will hide the bomb aspects.  It is great for on the frozen tundra although you're coming to the end of the season for that.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  It is a warm morning (mid 50's) so we walked to the gym and did our machine workouts.  We're expecting rain tonight.  I hope the nasty storm coming up in the midwest and up north isn"t as bad as they predict.  Bon Voyage to you Roy as you depart on your cruise.  Enjoy!

Nice set of days today especially the random act of kindness day.  The fajitas look wonderful in all the photos Debbie.  Thanks to Rich for the Daily report, and Roy thank you for the lists.  Prayers said while walking today.  Really takes my mind off the hill I have to climb to get home!  I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anyone!  @cruzn singlesorry about the final positive test.  Take care of yourself!  @superomaEva sorry also you have to isolate at home.  Hopefully your DGD is back at it soon.  Too funny about her and boyfriend not playing cards!  😁 Cheers to all on the Celebration list and thankfully there are a lot of you there.  @kazuJacqui hope your storm isn't too, too bad.  Do you think you will be able to get to the hospital?  Good thoughts and prayers for Jose and yourself.

We were happy to visit Flam twice on the Prinsendam in 2016 and 2017.  The photos are from the 2016 Best Norway Cruise Ever as we call it.

There's only room for one ship at the dock so we tendered over to Flam.  DH and I had purchased our tickets online for the train ride up the mountain and back down.  It was much less expensive and we didn't want to wait and possibly have them sell out.  This little village gets very busy when the ships are in town and everyone wanting to take that train ride.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLcVpCwHxj5PsIqcP3nsnVb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080155

There is a small museum, a tourist train, a little "mall", and of course the visitor center.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKBmlTfpEK8_oJmBkizGp8O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080165

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVICHQw9kjcR43h0-8v2znUx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080166

Oh yes, don't forget this hotel, too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHKDKlR6BlMvbZCgj1cijM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080178

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrEl3J8lkufPA41A9TlMGl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080188

A train comes in and all onboard depart.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGO64UyJvuRIKikgDCoOCZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080202

That's when we in line boarded and the train begins our journey.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLoR0c9hpiFO-_pwWQY5gQt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080278

You see little towns, colorful buildings, and beautiful scenery with waterfalls and rushing river water.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLue59Sg74VUsqSJ4ddqyRP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080293

There is a screen in each car with commentary along the way.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKuF2LrIb2fwLt-hJixR9CT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080348

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIki74dq8ZkTFqMysiBK4cf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080379

I noticed a woman sitting on the rock looking at the train in this picture.  See her?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKWJYjq1wSdnWmfveekrz-T?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080369

We went by several small stations along our route.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLDqf2aFAMhHOSg-sKe4PvJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080405

Sometimes we pulled off the main track and let a train pass by going downhill to Flam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKycHmljvHIChLC-V1BjBYk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080449

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8PUgLajferSpBRdZ3p3IK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080536

The train stops and lets everyone see the Kjosfossen waterfall.  Pretty misty right here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2xQi0ofyFm6iCxDbKlOtc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080564

Keep your eye on that little stone ruin there.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKCx4geqAtaDMDLPsOcsAp9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080581

Suddenly you hear some eerie music coming from hidden speakers and we see a seductive forest creature emerge to dance for the tourists.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK3e4KNMgICrKKwCQ7z6bE-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080595

The train then continues up to Myrdal with more nice scenery.  This is supposedly the steepest train route in Europe.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL8DpJqjTCRWXIpjtSEB8on?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080635

The train stops in Myrdal and that's where we do our backtracking to Flam.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIB9BA_Cc1IT-gKRxFlFffX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080684

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0VEgjGDqRmLUU5aBYloNx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080688

I was able to see the weather forecast for Myrdal while waiting there.  My old IPhone - looks tiny!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIe24fYhj5EEB56FSB6KcFG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080697

Going back down you of course see the same scenery only on the opposite side for better viewing.  The train stopped again at the waterfall to see the nymph once more.  Different moves!  Hope that wig doesn't fall off!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIxqF6nRROPGsu5V-bxQ-TP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080825

Lots and lots of smaller waterfalls on the route.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLvvaiI0XFFY5HUuxaQkmIe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468083867

Nearly back to Flam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKiupuezhik56ZF030lOUOl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081123

I'd say the whole trip took around 2 hours.  We walked around the small town a bit and headed back to the Prinsendam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyWylQHw_swUEirB2c855v?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081216

Once sailing away from Flam Captain D.D. headed towards Undredal to pick up some of his favorite goat cheese.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbfQSI5D0XkrhmbUjRcT3g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081474

And here it comes!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_wmcoh2MvZ2TR3KmFvO8p?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081696

It was a very good day in Norway, as usual.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the getaway (for me) Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days, especially Random Acts of Kindness.  Been to Norway but not to Flam.  The quote sounds appropriate for embarkation day.  I may have steak but it will be regular steak.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Jose’s blood tests

Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri medical tests in Jacksonville
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
Grapau27 friend with possible Meningitis but responding to treatment
Tana to be discharged still with poor prognosis
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Cruzin single with symptomatic covid
From the rotation:
Vict0riann’s Cousin with ALS and DH with Alzheimers
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

6 BHB with passengers
Full price log home offer for USN59-79
Quartzite cruiser with pending cruise (not sure when)
3 Days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to 2/27)
2 days for DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to 2/19 to 3/8)
My getaway day (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27),  ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20), kb4683  (Regal Princess to 2/19),  and Lady Hudson(Enchantment OTS to 2/25)at sea
HorizonChaser1957 in Palm Springs
Clean bone scan for irishjim
Cunnorl DS in remission
CDC lowering of cruise warning level
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, we'll be on the Koningsdam from 3/6 through 3/27.  Have a great cruise.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

First and most importantly @rafinmd have a great time on your trip! Hope all goes well, and you are able to relax, enjoy AND get away from the cold. A much-deserved vacation.

It appears those already on cruises are having a good time, very happy about that.

Not much going on here; it is very cold...again!! The winds continue to be annoying; we seem to have a wind advisory every other day. 

My wine club shipment arrived yesterday so that is good news!

Otherwise just doing house stuff and chores that need to be done. Staying home for the most part because of the cold which I am OK with.

Thanks to @rafinmd and @richwmn for the lists; random acts of kindness should happen often IMHO.

Love all the pictures, port pictures and memes, they give me a smile every day.

@dfishLove the recipes today, I put a grocery order in for the ingredients so should be making them for dinner. I am sure one of the wines delivered will go well with them.

Prayers, hugs and cheers for all as we all need prayers, have things to celebrate and hugs just because they are a good thing.😊

Stay safe all and take care!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, dfish said:

You could also make a hot spiced wine with it.  I stud and orange with cloves and use juniper berries, nutmeg, cinnamon and the orange.  They all give it a flavor that will hide the bomb aspects.  It is great for on the frozen tundra although you're coming to the end of the season for that.  

Another thing you can do is to add a little vinegar to it, let it sit for a few days and then use it to make saurbraten.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 4966and556 said:

Hi everyone!  Pouring rain here on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

Hello!!  I am excited to see where you live.  We are planning a first-time trip to the Canadian side of the Falls in May.  If you don’t mind my asking some general questions over the next couple of months, would you send me an email?  I’m at nrlanderfield at gmail

Thank you!

• Like 14

So, what do you do when you are in isolation possible quarantine coming and under a winter storm warning? You bake! I just prepped the two hour bun recipe, rising for the second time and prepped my no knead bread which will rise overnight. 

stay safe everyone. Will celebrate later with the good news people assuming I am still feeling ok and prayers for those needing them. 

• Like 32

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite with a predicted high of 69F.  Unfortunately, our winds are back but the top wind speed is supposed to be only 17mph.

Random Acts of Kindness can brighten the day for the recipient and the giver.  Public science is another day to celebrate. 

For a long time I preferred a PTO over the PTA, but then a friend asked me to serve on the board of the DDs high school PTA and then on the board of the school district PTA.  Sometimes the PTA can seem like a clique, but once I got to know the others on the board, I realized it wasn't.  I also learned that there are advantages to a PTA in that the district and state organizations can help local PTAs when there is trouble but not the PTOs.

I like the Douglas Adams quote. 

The drink seems a little sweet, but the wine sounds good except for the price.  The meal sounds good and it's been years since we used beef in our fajitas.  For beef fajitas we've used thin cut skirt steak, and for the chicken we use thin cut chicken breasts.  Since we had fajitas last night, I think it will be chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, cream gravy and salad with our wine tonight.

@aliaschief  Sorry your DGD is still sick and can't visit.  Enjoy the visit from DD and older DGD.

@smitty34877  I hope the storm isn't too bad and the old trees stay where they are supposed to be.

We were in Flam in 2005 on the Marco Polo.  We took the train up to Myrdal where we had time to walk around and have lunch before boarding a bus to Gudvangen where the ship met us.

All  my pictures of Flam were taken from the ship.  I'd like to go back some day and explore the town.

IMG_5432.thumb.JPG.2839ff82e15b57733487d9ce56c4a949.JPG

IMG_5434.thumb.JPG.49e19a4971ff8538379ced4283f6a308.JPG

IMG_5437.thumb.JPG.96aaa54c2806448eff7d830c4c47022b.JPG

IMG_5440.thumb.JPG.9c661cc0ef585e1a2983464298b2c1c6.JPG

The train

IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.cfcf1a5bb66279afef32695465096871.JPG

IMG_5446.thumb.JPG.d8e297a02eaf83236b567941a66a8c94.JPG

IMG_5452.thumb.JPG.c2bc0f15d0245c81495df529520c2008.JPG

Here are some pictures of our walk around Myrdal, a pretty mountain town.

IMG_5456.thumb.JPG.84381d6a40786ce34d10a1a10cd485b0.JPG

IMG_5457.thumb.JPG.ee17d5cb6b561d1a922eacb32896b1c6.JPG

IMG_5458.thumb.JPG.6d7a5364079adc97ec17915a88e7eb1d.JPG

IMG_5463.thumb.JPG.623d8f91b7c0af70bb4c7a3417cb0413.JPG

IMG_5464.thumb.JPG.d56eaeb4e6c4630b337aa69cad8eea0e.JPG

IMG_5475.thumb.JPG.5b013745d3b3c02d18d0697c637bdb56.JPG

Everyone stay safe from the nasty looking storms, and I hope no one loses power.

Lenda

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

For a long time I preferred a PTO over the PTA, but then a friend asked me to serve on the board of the DDs high school PTA and then on the board of the school district PTA.  Sometimes the PTA can seem like a clique, but once I got to know the others on the board, I realized it wasn't.  I also learned that there are advantages to a PTA in that the district and state organizations can help local PTAs when there is trouble but not the PTOs.

Forgive the question, but having never been involved except as a student, what is the difference?

• Like 10

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

We should try to do a random acts of kindness daily. The PTA was important back in the day (my mother was a teacher). I am a fan of science.

Interesting quote.

I like the meal and the wine (although above my price point). I'll pass on the drink.

I haven't been to Norway. Thanks for the pictures @StLouisCruisers@Quartzsite Cruiser

It's dreary and rainy here today, and high winds. I had a restless night. I did get my 2nd Shingrix shot yesterday, and had diffuse muscle aches and was restless all night. I don't feel too bad today, but will take it easy. When I went to the grocery store pharmacy for my shot, I noticed that the store is still out of distilled water, which I use for my CPAP. Good thing I have about 9 gallons stocked up (my winter supply in case of bad weather).

@rafinmd Bon Voyage and enjoy the cruise!

@kazu I hope Jose's numbers are improving.

@cruzn single I hope your case is mild and that you don't feel too unwell.

@superoma Hopefully you stay negative.

@aliaschief I'm glad to hear DGD's Covid test was negative.

@dfish While visiting Christmas markets in Germany they served Glühwein, which is a mulled or spiced wine. It was wonderful to sip while out in the cold. I brought home mugs from the different markets we visited. I have some spice "tea bags" that can be steeped in hot wine as an easy way to make it.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Take care all.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 31

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

The meal sounds great but I will pass on the drink.

Random acts of kindness is the way a life should be lived. The world would be a much better place if we all lived by that philosophy.

It is a beautiful day here - already 80 degrees with temperatures going to the mid-80s today.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21

17 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Forgive the question, but having never been involved except as a student, what is the difference?

The PTA is organized on the school, school district and state level.  They can work with any PTA when there is a problem.  

PTO stands for Parent Teacher Organization and it is local to the school without a district or state organization behind them.  Our DDs elementary school in Pennsylvania had a Home and School organization that functioned like a PTO.

Both groups work to support the school, students and teachers.  They can have fundraisers provide things for the school, students and teachers that are not in the school budget.

I always volunteered at the DDs schools helping the teachers so they could spend more time with the students.  Between that and the PTA or PTO, I got to know the teachers and administration, which helped on the rare occasion there was a problem that needed attention.

Rich, I hope this helps you understand the differences and the similarities.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, richwmn said:

PTA (Parent Teacher Association) is a formal membership organization with a dues structure that requires a portion of the dues to go to the national headquarters. In return, the local PTAs receive support to assist PTAs in securing nonprofit status, filing government paperwork, creating bylaws, purchasing low-cost insurance and training leaders. These support services are included in PTA membership at no additional cost.

PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) is a local alternative that many schools have opted for to keep all of the donations local. Some schools opt for a PTO or PTSO (Parent, Teacher, Student Organization) because they are not in agreement with the political work the National PTA does with the dues they collect. 

A well-run PTO or PTSO is preferable to a poorly run PTA, in my opinion, but the effort to create and maintain an organization without the support of the national PTA takes time and experience.

Each school is different in the level of commitment from schoolteachers and staff. Every community also brings a different level of commitment and experience in their parent population. Factors, like how many of the students are from single parent homes or both parents working, will also determine what structure works best with the support organization chosen.

I have been involved with both types of organizations over the years, as a parent, a teacher, and a community member.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all!

A cloudy, calm day here.  I'm looking forward to warmer days but can't complain.  It's in the mid 40's F here, much warmer than some of you are having!

I didn't make it here yesterday, I was busy helping my neighbor get her military ID.  She's been widowed for about 25 years and she never had one even though her husband retired from the Navy 9 months before he passed. I'm so happy to have helped her with that.  The savings at the Commissary alone will be well worth it.  Not to mention future medical prescriptions.

Another good collection of days.  I'll pass on the drink and wine.  We love steak fajitas, but it will be rotisserie chicken tonight.  We've been to Norway but not Flam -- it's on the itinerary we would have had this summer and I had the train booked.  But we canceled our 6 weeks of cruising this summer in order to put that $$ aside for our first Grand Voyage (Australia) '24.  Instead we have a few shorter cruises booked.  Thank you Lenda and Sandi for the great photos!

@rafinmdBon Voyage and have a wonderful, restful cruise!!

@cruzn singleI'm sorry about your positive test and hope you have a mild case.

I want to share this photo DD took last night when she, DSIL and the grandsons went night-time skiing.  I thought it was beautiful.

1773906928_nighttimeskiing.thumb.jpg.5b6c9e0718b721a094452e016510179c.jpg

• Like 31

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

For those wondering about reports on my cruise, here are the links:

And

https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/

Roy

@rafinmd Roy, I hope you have a wonderful time - looking forward to hearing your impressions of the ship and itinerary.  Baltimore is a good embarkation port for us (sailed Carnival Pride from there years ago) and I've been looking at that exact itinerary, just for the stop in Charleston.  

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

My wine club shipment arrived yesterday so that is good news!

@Cruisercl so exciting when those shipments arrive!  I belong to three clubs, my favorite being one out of Arizona.  There are a half-dozen bottles already in the shipping pipeline that should arrive Monday for me!  

• Like 20

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

For those wondering about reports on my cruise, here are the links:

And

https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/

Roy

Thanks Roy!  Always enjoy your reports like

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I have no idea why i am making plans like this when i have no idea what the medical reports will show.  If surgery has to be done soon, then what is re cooperation time, and if I can hold off until mid May for surgery, then that  might be the way to go.  All these questions to ask the doctor tomorrow, and DH isn't allowed in with me for these tests, or doctors appointment. 

Go ahead and make your plans - you can always change them and planning is a way to bring joy to your life 🙂. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.  Hoping you get the answers you want 🤞 

3 hours ago, dfish said:

It is great for on the frozen tundra although you're coming to the end of the season for that.  

LOL but poor @ger_77 (and even us) have some time to go before we reach the end of frozen tundra season.  I would jump for joy if I were in error 😉 

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I was busy helping my neighbor get her military ID.  She's been widowed for about 25 years and she never had one even though her husband retired from the Navy 9 months before he passed. I'm so happy to have helped her with that. 

How kind of you to have helped your neighbour with this.  Bless you 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2