The Daily for Thursday 02/17/2022

richwmn

19 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well they best we can do is chat about golf Thur-Sun and especially the big tourney's

Still I like this thread for the nice photos and recipes

Wow, the great Oakland Hills Golf Course Clubhouse in Michigan is on fire, video on the Golf Channel looks like there is no hope of saving this historic building.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Wow, the great Oakland Hills Golf Course Clubhouse in Michigan is on fire, video on the Golf Channel looks like there is no hope of saving this historic building.

oh dear sorry to hear.  I will check it out.

I keep saying a prayer for that lone cypress tree to still be there each year.  Remember the Eisenhower tree at Augusta that died.  sad...

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

omg it is 100 years old and all wood too.   looks like complete devastation.  

• Like 5

Good afternoon everyone!  Today is looking much better weather wise and looking forward to 70 degree weather on the weekend.  I know, we are spoiled.

I was never much for the PTA since I worked full time when my children were in school, it was hard enough just to get dinner and laundry done, but they serve a good purpose in schools.  Random Acts of Kindness should be every day and good for Public Science Day too.

I've never been big on fajitas, probably because they use flour tortillas instead of corn and I really only like quesadillas using flour tortillas.  I much prefer tacos.  Thank you for the recipes Debbie @dfish, they look really good.

I'll pass on the drink and the wine and have never been to Norway.  Maybe someday.  We only have about a week to decide on our Med cruise and we are still undecided.

Thank you for the Daily Rich and enjoy your cruise Roy.  It's so good to see you back on a ship!  I can't wait for pictures, especially food pictures (hint,hint).

I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 20

55 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw nice to know.  I was also supposed to sail out of Venice last year and well that went away too.

List of "supposed to" is getting longer.

The only problem with the 14-day Alaska cruise this year is that it is September 11-25, which is late in the season.  It can get stormy in that area that time of year.  Since it still goes to Anchorage and Kodiak, there is a lot of open, unprotected water to cross.  BTW, it's on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

29 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

It's always sad when an old, historic building burns or is torn down.

Lenda

• Like 16

6 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning from Curacao.  A beautiful sunny day with wind to match.  Prayers to everyone on Roy's care list and have a lovely trip Roy!   

Today is also International Cat Day. In memory of my two. Lydia and Tiny. A Maine Coon and a Korat.  Here is Lydia, Tiny is trapped in my laptop.  

3649.jpeg

IMG_20220217_074410647.jpg

IMG_20220217_055823614.jpg

Lydia was gorgeous.

Lovely big eyes.

Graham.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We often do random acts of kindness, anything from paying for coffee for the person behind us to dropping off a gift basket on someone's door step.  Often when we are on trips, we'll see an individual having lunch or breakfast by themselves and will ask the waiter to add their bill to ours.  It makes us feel good, and we hope it does for the recipients as well.

We had a great PTA at our son's school; they accepted input from parents at large and raised a lot of money for things needed in and around the school.  I'm pretty sure I've learned a lot more about science in the past 2 years than at any other time of my life.

Well it's cold and dark here on the "frozen tundra" this morning; -29C and with the wind it brings the temp down to -36C (-20F and -32).   Brrr.   I know many places are starting to get in their seed starter kits, etc., but I just can't envision it right now.  Maybe once the glaciers in the yard start receding, I'll feel more like gardening.

Wow, today's drink sounds super sweet to me; I like sweet drinks, but this one might be over the top.  It's interesting that they add red velvet cake mix to it!   The wine sounds nice, but is way over my budget, so hope others can enjoy it for me.   Speaking of wine, several of you have asked if I can return the unopened Cardboardeaux - unfortunately due to Covid, that's not possible, so it's looking like we'll be having a lot of sangria this summer.  LOL

@rafinmd  BON VOYAGE!   I hope you have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the pampering it brings.  You deserve a break - I know we'll all look forward to your reviews.

Not a lot happening for us today, we have to bring back DH's sleep study kit (he had to have a do-over, as they couldn't get a good reading from the first one a couple of weeks ago), so that means we'll likely go out for breakfast after.  Groceries, then home where we'll stay and keep warm for the balance of the day.

I like today's menu suggestion, but don't have any steak on hand.  I guess it could be done with chicken, which we always have in the freezer, so if I pick up the right ingredients on our grocery list, it's now looking like it'll be fajitas and Spanish rice on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.   The glasses will be raised to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear your masks, wash your hands, be well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

What lovely things you do for others Gerry.

I loved reading your post 

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It is a warm morning (mid 50's) so we walked to the gym and did our machine workouts.  We're expecting rain tonight.  I hope the nasty storm coming up in the midwest and up north isn"t as bad as they predict.  Bon Voyage to you Roy as you depart on your cruise.  Enjoy!

Nice set of days today especially the random act of kindness day.  The fajitas look wonderful in all the photos Debbie.  Thanks to Rich for the Daily report, and Roy thank you for the lists.  Prayers said while walking today.  Really takes my mind off the hill I have to climb to get home!  I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anyone!  @cruzn singlesorry about the final positive test.  Take care of yourself!  @superomaEva sorry also you have to isolate at home.  Hopefully your DGD is back at it soon.  Too funny about her and boyfriend not playing cards!  😁 Cheers to all on the Celebration list and thankfully there are a lot of you there.  @kazuJacqui hope your storm isn't too, too bad.  Do you think you will be able to get to the hospital?  Good thoughts and prayers for Jose and yourself.

We were happy to visit Flam twice on the Prinsendam in 2016 and 2017.  The photos are from the 2016 Best Norway Cruise Ever as we call it.

There's only room for one ship at the dock so we tendered over to Flam.  DH and I had purchased our tickets online for the train ride up the mountain and back down.  It was much less expensive and we didn't want to wait and possibly have them sell out.  This little village gets very busy when the ships are in town and everyone wanting to take that train ride.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLcVpCwHxj5PsIqcP3nsnVb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080155

There is a small museum, a tourist train, a little "mall", and of course the visitor center.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKBmlTfpEK8_oJmBkizGp8O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080165

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVICHQw9kjcR43h0-8v2znUx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080166

Oh yes, don't forget this hotel, too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHKDKlR6BlMvbZCgj1cijM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080178

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrEl3J8lkufPA41A9TlMGl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080188

A train comes in and all onboard depart.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGO64UyJvuRIKikgDCoOCZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080202

That's when we in line boarded and the train begins our journey.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLoR0c9hpiFO-_pwWQY5gQt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080278

You see little towns, colorful buildings, and beautiful scenery with waterfalls and rushing river water.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLue59Sg74VUsqSJ4ddqyRP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080293

There is a screen in each car with commentary along the way.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKuF2LrIb2fwLt-hJixR9CT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080348

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIki74dq8ZkTFqMysiBK4cf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080379

I noticed a woman sitting on the rock looking at the train in this picture.  See her?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKWJYjq1wSdnWmfveekrz-T?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080369

We went by several small stations along our route.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLDqf2aFAMhHOSg-sKe4PvJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080405

Sometimes we pulled off the main track and let a train pass by going downhill to Flam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKycHmljvHIChLC-V1BjBYk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080449

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8PUgLajferSpBRdZ3p3IK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080536

The train stops and lets everyone see the Kjosfossen waterfall.  Pretty misty right here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2xQi0ofyFm6iCxDbKlOtc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080564

Keep your eye on that little stone ruin there.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKCx4geqAtaDMDLPsOcsAp9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080581

Suddenly you hear some eerie music coming from hidden speakers and we see a seductive forest creature emerge to dance for the tourists.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK3e4KNMgICrKKwCQ7z6bE-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080595

The train then continues up to Myrdal with more nice scenery.  This is supposedly the steepest train route in Europe.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL8DpJqjTCRWXIpjtSEB8on?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080635

The train stops in Myrdal and that's where we do our backtracking to Flam.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIB9BA_Cc1IT-gKRxFlFffX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080684

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0VEgjGDqRmLUU5aBYloNx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080688

I was able to see the weather forecast for Myrdal while waiting there.  My old IPhone - looks tiny!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIe24fYhj5EEB56FSB6KcFG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080697

Going back down you of course see the same scenery only on the opposite side for better viewing.  The train stopped again at the waterfall to see the nymph once more.  Different moves!  Hope that wig doesn't fall off!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIxqF6nRROPGsu5V-bxQ-TP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468080825

Lots and lots of smaller waterfalls on the route.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLvvaiI0XFFY5HUuxaQkmIe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468083867

Nearly back to Flam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKiupuezhik56ZF030lOUOl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081123

I'd say the whole trip took around 2 hours.  We walked around the small town a bit and headed back to the Prinsendam.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyWylQHw_swUEirB2c855v?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081216

Once sailing away from Flam Captain D.D. headed towards Undredal to pick up some of his favorite goat cheese.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJbfQSI5D0XkrhmbUjRcT3g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081474

And here it comes!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_wmcoh2MvZ2TR3KmFvO8p?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468081696

It was a very good day in Norway, as usual.

Thank you for your amazing photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

As long as other members on a Cruise board and The Daily don't get "teed" off, no pun intended.

I could talk golf all day.

My arthritic knees and hips meant I lost my single handicap status and my heart attack 2 years ago put paid to my golf completely as my heart medication stopped me taking anti inflammatory arthritis medication.

Graham.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I could talk golf all day.

My arthritic knees and hips meant I lost my single handicap status and my heart attack 2 years ago put paid to my golf completely as my heart medication stopped me taking anti inflammatory arthritis medication.

Graham.

Sorry to hear that you had to give up the game. 

I have a hunch that you have played some of the great Open courses in the UK including St. Andrews.

Grew up in Chicago but moved near and played  Medinah Country Club which has hosted quite a few US Opens plus the Ryder Cup. Also Kemper Lakes where Payne Stewart won the PGA and Cog Hill which was a regular stop on tour. I've played some great courses in Florida also like Doral, Tiburon, Streamsong and World Woods but the best one IMHO and now ranked 6th in the state is Calusa Pines in Naples.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I have a hunch that you have played some of the grest Open courses in the UK including St. Andrews.

I have been to the Old Course at St Andrews but didn't get to play it.

I have played at Close House which hosted the British masters as well as Slayley hall where the European tour event The Great North Open was played and Fulford which hosted the Benson and hedges,Sun alliance,The Murphy's Cup and the British Ladies Open Championship.

Graham.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I have a hunch that you have played some of the great Open courses in the UK including St. Andrews.

Grew up in Chicago but moved near and played  Medinah Country Club which has hosted quite a few US Opens plus the Ryder Cup. Also Kemper Lakes where Payne Stewart won the PGA and Cog Hill which was a regular stop on tour. I've played some great courses in Florida also like Doral, Tiburon, Streamsong and World Woods but the best one IMHO and now ranked 6th in the state is Calusa Pines in Naples.

Some amazing golf courses.

Payne Stewart was a great character and a great loss to the game of golf.

Graham

• Like 8

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish While visiting Christmas markets in Germany they served Glühwein, which is a mulled or spiced wine. It was wonderful to sip while out in the cold. I brought home mugs from the different markets we visited. I have some spice "tea bags" that can be steeped in hot wine as an easy way to make it.

When my sister lived in Strasbourg I went over one Christmas and we had a great time at the Christmas market.  We mostly hung out at the wine booth, but it sure was nice to sip it and feel the warmth as we walked through the exhibits.  

6 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

1773906928_nighttimeskiing.thumb.jpg.5b6c9e0718b721a094452e016510179c.jpg

What a wonderful picture!

6 hours ago, kazu said:

LOL but poor @ger_77 (and even us) have some time to go before we reach the end of frozen tundra season.  I would jump for joy if I were in error 😉 

Well, then pour it in the slow cooker and spice it up!   

5 hours ago, bdrcole said:

It seems that many folks are in the middle of completing their tax returns.  How many of you are in this situation?

Taxes.jpeg

So that's how you get a refund!  The things you learn.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Well, i am late to the game today, but here I am.

As for the quote.  My younger days were things I did and went that were not always what I should have done (don’t ask), but I know now that there is no other place where I belong.  I have the best possible life I could possibly have with the best possible DH.

Random acts of kindness.  I have experienced incredible kindness on this board. More than anyone will ever know.  I will tell a story and this is not to toot my own horn.  Once when I was at the hotel at the Mayo Clinic there was a gentleman who was very upset because his wife was have gastrointestinal problems and they had to get a plane later in the day.  He needed to get to a drugstore to get Imodium or Pepto Bismol or the like.  There was no one to drive the van.  I was checking out to go home.  I offered to take him to the store before going home.  All the way to the store he told me about all his degrees and his business achievements and whatever.

When we arrived at the store he bought what he needed and then offered to buy a box of candy.  i refused and told him that instead he should do something nice for someone else.  He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language and said to me, “I never thought of that.”  So there you go.  

On another note i have never been to the port.

As for the meal, DH took me to Seasons 52 for dinner to celebrate hopefully my freedom from hand pain.

Now for my report.

The GYN report was fine.  No problems.  My one concern was quickly put to rest.

As for the hands.  I have carpal tunnel syndrome.  This is a surprise to me since I have had carpal tunnel release in both hands already.  The doc and I decided to try steroid injections in both wrists to see if relieves the pain even if only temporarily.  If not I will have to have surgery again.  At least he thinks i will be able to go on my cruise in April.  Thank you all for all your prayers.  I am eternally grateful for all your concern.

@rafinmdI hope you have a wonderful cruise.  You need it and I hope it is a restful time for you.

I will know in about a week if the injections worked.

Take care every one.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25

5 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Now for my report.

The GYN report was fine.  No problems.  My one concern was quickly put to rest.

As for the hands.  I have carpal tunnel syndrome.  This is a surprise to me since I have had carpal tunnel release in both hands already.  The doc and I decided to try steroid injections in both wrists to see if relieves the pain even if only temporarily.  If not I will have to have surgery again.  At least he thinks i will be able to go on my cruise in April.  Thank you all for all your prayers.  I am eternally grateful for all your concern.

@rafinmdI hope you have a wonderful cruise.  You need it and I hope it is a restful time for you.

I will know in about a week if the injections worked.

Take care every one.

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm glad you got a good report from GYN. Also the carpal tunnel is treatable, so that's a good thing too. Did the doctor suggest wearing wrist splints to bed? I know some (me included) flex their wrists while sleeping and that can aggravate carpal tunnel. I hope the injections work!

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Terri, I'm glad you got a good report from GYN. Also the carpal tunnel is treatable, so that's a good thing too. Did the doctor suggest wearing wrist splints to bed? I know some (me included) flex their wrists while sleeping and that can aggravate carpal tunnel. I hope the injections work!

No, He thinks the injections should give me the relief I need.  if in a week there is no relief, i will need to see the hand surgeon.  I hope I do not need to see him. 

Terri

• Like 16

12 hours ago, marshhawk said:

1fd47591f693830476c37ec78317a051--cat-hotel-cats-humor.jpg

I have been trying to book a hotel with two rooms for the trip down to Sanibel.  I'm an IHG type of person, been a member for years.  I like to stop around Ocala or just south of Gainesville, and checking last week, all hotels were booked in this area.  And what is available is twice the price.  I of course googled to see why, and got no response at all.

Meanwhile, the BFF said he would fly down on the 27th, then changed the date to the 28th of April, but we have (for the first time in more than two years) symphony tickets for that night) so I asked him to change it back to the 27th, so that we could all go to the symphony.   

I have no idea why i am making plans like this when i have no idea what the medical reports will show.  If surgery has to be done soon, then what is re cooperation time, and if I can hold off until mid May for surgery, then that  might be the way to go.  All these questions to ask the doctor tomorrow, and DH isn't allowed in with me for these tests, or doctors appointment.  He has to stay in the car.  I think he may sneak in to see if our dermatologist is still around (we were warned he was moving to TX). 

Well, today I am going to deliver the two necklaces, I hope the mother likes them. I do enjoy doing the pattern and laying them out, but stringing them?  Ee gads, my vision is terrible!  Takes me much longer these days to actual get them on the wire.  

In the middle of the night I heard an animal scream out side.  Was truly hoping it was not my feral, who would not go on the porch last night.  I went out to feed her, and she was fine, so now I will be looking for an animal that is not mine.

The weather man keeps telling us to be weather ready today. Right now, it's cloudy, and cool, and I will be working when the storms hit here.  DH is at a meeting early this evening, and I will worry about him driving in pouring rain, in the dark. 

The crock pot ribs turned out very well, I thing the secret is that after 8 hours in the crock pot, you turn the oven up to  375. and cover the ribs with BBQ sauce, and bake for 15 minutes or until the sauce sticks to the ribs..  I decided to use a Krogers select sauce infused with coffee.  It was sooo good!

Have a great day! 

If yu are trying to book for Apr 27 o r 28  time frame - that is usually the around the dates of Univ Of Fla graduation.

• Like 2