What Is The Name of Your Favorite Wine Maker Companies - Vineyards (Domestic or Foreign)

BklynBoy8

Enjoying all the Subjects we are Covering in Foodies.

Interesting all the talk about food, wine, cocktail and etc... I know when wandering thru our recent liquor store I enjoy selecting our favorite wines from our favorite companies.

Came upon me to see what Wine Makers and Vineyards are the Favorites of our Cruise Critics here.

• Brotherhood Winery, Washingtonville, New York
  • Christian Brothers located in California
  • Woodbridge
  • Robert Mondavi
  • Hess Collection
  • Beringer
  • Francis Ford Coppola

To name a few.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

I could go on for day's depending on the vintage. I am currently enjoying Penfolds bin 169 Coonawarra cab. Last evening it was a Margaret River chard. I'm on an Aussie kick. 🍷

I know different parts of this country and around world will have different taste and reactions.

Vintage also counts....

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Any Chianti reserve is good with Rufino Reserve being a favorite.  Any Coppola wine is always good.  Francis has become the Rothschild of America with his Napa Valley wines.  He has made more money with his wine than he ver made with his movies!

Ditto.......

All is good and tasty...

My favorite is Villa Maria Estate Ltd. in New Zealand.  

For Red wines, Woodbridge and Mondavi are labels that I would most often consider.  I have drunk some Malbecs that I thought were quite good, but, no favorite labels come to mind.

Christian Brothers?  They once made a Rose that I truly loved.  They broke my heart when either they stopped making the wine or whom ever distributed their wine in Ohio stopped doing so.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Christian Brothers?  They once made a Rose that I truly loved.  They broke my heart when either they stopped making the wine or whom ever distributed their wine in Ohio stopped doing so.  

I'm actively drinking their Sherry at this time. The Cream is the Best!

Also Tawny Port and Ruby Port are very good.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2022 at 6:07 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I'm actively drinking their Sherry at this time. The Cream is the Best!

Also Tawny Port and Ruby Port are very good.

Many years ago on luxury cruises and First Class transatlantic crossings it was the custom for the gentlemen to linger after dinner over a good bottle of Ruby Port with a cheese plate or a savory.  To this day I still enjoy a good bottle of Port or a Spanish sherry.  We used to be able to buy these at AH Rhiise in St. Thomas.  You could buy great bottles for short $$.  You could buy a case and take it off the ship in New York with the help of a porter and then put all your luggage in a cab and head for Penn Station.  This was in the days before luggage had wheels!  Then you took a train to Boston and have a Red Cap place everything in a cab to go home…no problem.  The Customs people at the pier were supposed to charge a tariff on more than 2 bottles but they couldn’t be bothered and would just wave you through…lol.  How I miss those old days sailing from the Manhattan piers and taking the train home.  Things were so easy.  

In 1973 we sailed home on the SS France with  beautiful drop leg tea table, early Queen Anne, circa 1700.  The antique dealer had carefully wrapped the table for us in London.  We had it loaded on the boat train in London and taken off in Southampton and placed in our tiny cabin on the France.  When we got to New York the Baggage Master on the France sent a man to hand carry the table and place it on the pier.  The Porter on the pier took it and all our luggage through customs.  And placed it on the sidewalk…then we headed home with the porters carrying all.  Of course I tipped all along the way as that was the way you moved all your luggage in those days…before they put wheels on luggage.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Many years ago

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Things were so easy.  

As the theme song for All in the Family said:  Those were the days!  

Missing night time chocolates are now being reported by current HAL cruisers.  

Is our society engaged in a limbo dance of "How Low Can We go"?  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

As the theme song for All in the Family said:  Those were the days!  

Missing night time chocolates are now being reported by current HAL cruisers.  

Is our society engaged in a limbo dance of "How Low Can We go"?  

The “Cost Cutting Experts” are always brought in to trim the budgets.  They are usually from Accounting or transplants from airline management.  They know nothing about cruise ships and what makes the pax happy.  They have no clue as to the glorious history of Crossing and Cruising.  They are there to satisfy the stockholders.  They do not realize that every time they cut costs future profits will go down as with the dissatisfaction of the loyal pax.  When will they ever learn that they are in the hospitality business?  The bottom line is not the costs vs the profit.  The bottom line is the satisfaction of the loyal repeat pax.  It is really sad that these executives are unaware of the fact that they already possess the necessary ingredients for continued success.  The have beautiful ships, willing and capable personnel who would be more than happy to go the extra mile.  Instead they cut costs which puts more pressure on the crew and makes the loyal repeat pax increasingly dissatisfied.  Great ships have happy crews and happy pax!  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

It is really sad that these executives are unaware of the fact that they already possess the necessary ingredients for continued success.

Your entire post is excellent and mirrors my thinking.  The hiring of some of these executives who never had cruised has caused many changes in the guests' experiences and have resulted in some major costly decisions that were never well accepted by guests (i.e. the butchering of the aft decks of Rotterdam VI and Veendam as one example).  

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

They are there to satisfy the stockholders.  

This is no doubt true, but, I really do believe that some of the changes that take place are done to justify the executives jobs and the reason why they should continue to be employed.  

It's the season of corporate Annual Meetings.  I have received my proxies for CCL.  Once again, there is no space on the proxy for me to write a message to Management as both a shareholder as well as a cruise guest of their brands.  That didn't used to be and makes it difficult for the shareholders of a company to express their views other than a negative vote on all of the items the Board of Directors recommends a positive vote and a positive vote on the items that the Board recommends a negative vote.  

oh that's right 😲  heaven help me, I forgot.  I'll  down two bottles and go to confession tomorrow to ask forgiveness for what happened

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

oh that's right 😲  heaven help me, I forgot.  I'll  down two bottles and go to confession tomorrow to ask forgiveness for what happened

😆  Your Priest might appreciate a few last sips from your second bottle.  😀

• Like 1

I tried a new wine last night and it is now my new favorite Pinot Noir.........it is from California, called J from J Vineyards.  You ever try something and found it simply fantastic?.........it is soooooooo good😃

It is actually from 3 different locations, Sonoma, Monterey AND Santa Barbara. If there is anyone out there who loves a Pinot Noir, I highly recommend it!

CGT, how are you feeling? Hope things are going well.  I am going to need surgery  later this month😲......should find out the date this coming week.  Dr's appt is Monday so will know more after that time.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I tried a new wine last night and it is now my new favorite Pinot Noir.........it is from California, called J from J Vineyards.

While I am more of a white wine drinker, I do like Pinot Noir as a change.  I'll see if my wine store carries it.  

CGT, how are you feeling? Hope things are going well

I have wondered as well and I also hope you are doing OK.

I am going to need surgery  later this month

Well, that's not good news.  Getting older is one health challenge after another.  Two new inhalers for me to see if they help my shortness of breath issue.  

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi RKA, the wine is really, REALLY good.......very smooth. 

It's on my shopping list for next week.  If my wine store doesn't have it, I won't find it in my area.  (I really wish Total Wine would establish a store in my area!)  

On 3/5/2022 at 1:07 PM, Lois R said:

I tried a new wine last night and it is now my new favorite Pinot Noir.........it is from California, called J from J Vineyards.  You ever try something and found it simply fantastic?.........it is soooooooo good😃

It is actually from 3 different locations, Sonoma, Monterey AND Santa Barbara. If there is anyone out there who loves a Pinot Noir, I highly recommend it!

CGT, how are you feeling? Hope things are going well.  I am going to need surgery  later this month😲......should find out the date this coming week.  Dr's appt is Monday so will know more after that time.

Thanks Lois,

Totally off topic but I’ll fit in a wine burb somehow…lol.  I had a very strange experience that started in November.  When I got the green light for a kidney transplant they sent me for a blood test. The test came back as level 4 cirrhosis!  Now you know I love my alcohol but this was just beyond all expectations.  My kidney doctor, who sees me weekly in dialysis, told me this was very unlikely since my Albumin counts had been very good for the past 4 years at dialysis.  So into the OR on Wednesday for the twelfth time since 2017.  They gave me a local “twilight” so I could watch the action.  They stuck a wire into my neck, main artery, and down to my liver they went…awesome!  Two hours later I was returned to Recovery for 4 more hours.  Long story short…they called on Friday afternoon to tell me that my liver is 100%.  They did it that way because I have elected to take a kidney that is infected with hepatitis.  These kidneys are much more available and they have a 100% success rate of cleaning up the hepatitis.  I’m now 100% ready for transplant and on the fast track.  Sorry this is so long but I know several of you have followed my journey these past 4 years.  They’ll probably remove this so read it fast!

Now about the wine…Frei Brothers California Cabernet…about $20.00 a bottle.  Tastes like a $120 bottle from France!  I’ve yet to find this variety onboard a ship!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CGT--wow.........I am glad everything is ok!🙂 12 visits to the hospital? YIKES!  I had 3 in 2020 and was in the hospital overnight a couple of weeks ago.......will be going back for #5 sometime in this month.

It is like, they see something and something else shows up😲..........I swear, getting older can be a BIG PITA👎 I had to go to the Imaging Facility twice.........one for the abdomen and just last week for my lungs (something showed up when they did the first one) and my Oncologist wants to make sure the lungs are ok......  I have a follow up Drs appt tomorrow and should have all the results.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Long story short…they called on Friday afternoon to tell me that my liver is 100%.

As one who enjoys a prolonged HH daily, my liver remains in excellent shape as compared to some of my other organs.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

I swear, getting older can be a BIG PITA👎

Lois, I am 99.999% sure that you are a decade or so younger than I am.  Unlike some wines, aging does not always improve the "product".

"  Now about the wine…Frei Brothers California Cabernet…about $20.00 a bottle.  Tastes like a $120 bottle from France!  I’ve yet to find this variety onboard a ship! "  

Kermit Oh My GIF - Kermit Oh My What - Discover & Share GIFs