NZ re-opening sooner than advertised and dropping self-isolation on arrival.

lissie

I visited Christchurch a number of times on business trips before and post quakes. I found it a beautiful city to visit and it was so sad the see the destruction. I cried watching it on TV.

I have never been to England but imagine that many cities there would look very much like Christchurch.

We visited on a cruise in 2013, which was a sad time for me & my fellow travelers who had never got to see the city in all it's glory.

We visited again in 2019 on a land-tour and was glad to see it some what renewed.

Almost every Kiwi I have ever met had some family connection to Christchurch - certainly worth a visit.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:57 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

It would be on the Waimakariri River outside of Christchurch.

Before the quake Christchurch was beautiful with many lovely old stone buildings, glorious gardens and enough places of interest to kerp you busy for several days. I visited Christchurn many times when I lived in NZ and we last visited Christchurch in 2007. I haven't the heart to go back there at the moment, I prefer to remember it as it was.

I visit Christchurch often because it is my home town and my mother is still there.  

It is not the city I grew up in but some of the new activities are very cool.  I still love the gardens, art centre, museum and art gallery.  The new walkway/cycleway on the banks on the Avon is lovely.  I like the way they have replanted with natives.  New Brighton has become a bit funky and cool.  Lyttelton itself has some neat cafes and shops.

That said, a lot of the CBD is still a car park.  There is a long way to go.

• Like 1