Info about Canada's new covid rules for Cruise ships?

Harrylinden

3 hours ago, broberts said:

The cruise ship will make quarantine arrangements for any positive passenger. Presumably at a local hotel. Hopefully cruise lines will publish details, including who pays, before cruises start.

At San Diego this year (PRE-cruise, though), the understanding was that HAL would arrange for the hotel if you tested positive at the pre-boarding of the Hawaii cruise, but the passenger was responsible for the hotel bill, which you then submitted to your insurance, and then any balance left could be billed to HAL. We were not able to find out if this is how it actually worked; perhaps those who used HAL hotels would have more details.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, broberts said:

Do you have a link to the section that details this?

Its fragmentary...

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation#isolation

"Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, persons registered under the Indian Act, and protected persons (refugee status) may enter Canada with symptoms or a current positive test result...

You must go directly to the place where you will isolate and stay there for 10 days. This is mandatory and starts the day you arrive in Canada. If you test positive in Canada (for example, when you arrive or on your Day-8 test), you must isolate for 10 days starting on the date you took that test..

If you’re arriving by land and show symptoms or have a positive test result taken within the last 10 days. You must demonstrate that you have an adequate plan for isolation to avoid infecting others. You’re expected to make plans, within your own means, before travelling to Canada. If you don’t have a suitable place, you’ll be directed to a federal quarantine facility...

Getting to your place of isolation (final destination)
Go directly to your place of isolation without delay and stay there for 10 days from the date you arrived in Canada
Do not use public transportation (e.g. aircraft, bus, train, subway, taxi or ride-sharing service) to get to your place of isolation...

If you do not have an adequate place to isolate, or do not have private transportation to your place of isolation, you will be directed to a federal designated quarantine facility where you must remain for 10 days. Before travellers are directed to a federal designated quarantine facility government representatives will work to confirm that all other options for isolation accommodations within their own means have been exhausted.

These facilities are a last resort for travellers who have no options of meeting isolation requirements by other means."

What do you think? Of course, the final word will be from Public Health BC, once they have been notified.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Its fragmentary...

"Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents, persons registered under the Indian Act, and protected persons (refugee status) may enter Canada with symptoms or a current positive test result...

You must go directly to the place where you will isolate and stay there for 10 days. This is mandatory and starts the day you arrive in Canada. If you test positive in Canada (for example, when you arrive or on your Day-8 test), you must isolate for 10 days starting on the date you took that test..

If you’re arriving by land and show symptoms or have a positive test result taken within the last 10 days. You must demonstrate that you have an adequate plan for isolation to avoid infecting others. You’re expected to make plans, within your own means, before travelling to Canada. If you don’t have a suitable place, you’ll be directed to a federal quarantine facility...

Go directly to your place of isolation without delay and stay there for 10 days from the date you arrived in Canada
Do not use public transportation (e.g. aircraft, bus, train, subway, taxi or ride-sharing service) to get to your place of isolation...

If you do not have an adequate place to isolate, or do not have private transportation to your place of isolation, you will be directed to a federal designated quarantine facility where you must remain for 10 days. Before travellers are directed to a federal designated quarantine facility government representatives will work to confirm that all other options for isolation accommodations within their own means have been exhausted.

These facilities are a last resort for travellers who have no options of meeting isolation requirements by other means."

What do you think? Of course, the final word will be from Public Health BC, once they have been notified.

Thanks. I think we are going to have to wait and see what happens with some actual cases. The cruise regulations say the cruise line has to make quarantine arrangements. Making it the author of the quarantine plan. This could be interpreted to mean that positives will have to quarantine in the designated facilities.

Edited by broberts

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Everything else I've read said the quarantine time in Canada is 14 days, not 10 days. Is this a recent change?

46 minutes ago, PSR said:

Everything else I've read said the quarantine time in Canada is 14 days, not 10 days. Is this a recent change?

"If you do not meet the requirements of a fully vaccinated traveller, you will be either denied entry into Canada, required to quarantine for 14 days, or required to quarantine until you depart Canada..."

Assuming that all cruise pax are fully vax, then the 10-day requirement applies if you test posiitive. Unclear if that starts from the date of the test on the ship, or on arrival in Canada...

"You must go directly to the place where you will isolate and stay there for 10 days. This is mandatory and starts the day you arrive in Canada. If you test positive in Canada (for example, when you arrive or on your Day-8 test), you must isolate for 10 days starting on the date you took that test."

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Its fragmentary...

The regulations that you have posted above have been in place for quite some time, albeit with frequent modifications, and are applicable to entry by land. Now we have a new set of regulations for entry by sea from a cruise ship. Unfortunately, the two don't always jive. For example, for entry by land with a positive result, choosing to quarantine at home, as in your case, would be a viable option. But the cruise regulations state that "At the end of their cruise, it will be the cruise line’s responsibility to arrange for COVID-19-safe accommodations for passenger isolation that meet the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order requirements." Does that include arranging for you to go home? I'd hope so, but it isn't clear, one way or the other. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate all of the information you are all providing.

leaving Seattle and taking HAL transfer same day to Vancouver,

Clarification please;

We thought we read on Canada’s website an Antigen test was required 2 days prior, HAL also.

We are reading  posts saying 1 day prior, who trumps?
what Antigen test is accepted, is the Abbott or should we order from the Canada.ca website (?)

First time testing, appreciate all the help we can get.

thanks, Sandipalms

48 minutes ago, Sandipalms said:

Clarification please;

We thought we read on Canada’s website an Antigen test was required 2 days prior, HAL also.

what Antigen test is accepted, is the Abbott or should we order from the Canada.ca website (?)

thanks, Sandipalms

A negative antigen test taken within one day is required to enter Canada.

The test must be approved for sale in the country in which it is purchased.

See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing for details.

A negative antigen test taken within 1 day of boarding is required to board a cruise ship in Canada. Presumably in your case the same test result could be used at the border and cruise check-in.

9 hours ago, Sandipalms said:

Clarification please;

thanks, Sandipalms

EDIT:  sorry, just realized (read) you are same-day transfer, so your test to get into Canada should also work for embarkation.

Transport Canada will always trump the individual cruise line policies within Canadian Ports of Call.

As afar as Antigen tests go, we're having ours done at YVR (airport) at a Travel Clinic to ensure there are no hiccups as it has to be done within one day of embarkation.     We will take the Sky Train from our hotel back to the airport to get them done .   There are also drive-through and other clinics within the downtown core; but this was the least expensive, fast result with a certificate for travel.

Note the cost is not $129, we booked one one for $79 CDN (~ $50 USD).  It also says for ticketed pax, but we were able to book on line (I called to verify) - open to anyone.

CVM MEDICAL PRE-DEPARTURE TESTING INSIDE YVR                                                                          CVM Medical will provide Rapid Antigen Tests for ticketed passengers departing for the United States, the Netherlands, Germany and other countries accepting the test. Passengers should check-in before proceeding to the testing site. The testing clinic is located in the International Terminal Building, Level 3, US Departures, at the east end of the terminal. They operate from 5am -  7:30 pm daily.  Cost is $129 and appointments can be made, or you can walk in  https://covid-medical.ca/ 

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Thanks 1

I am confused by the above post as it says they are going back to YVR to get an antigen test “as it has to be done within one day of embarkation “.  Isn’t HALs requirement that it has to be done 2 days prior to embarkation?

12 minutes ago, Anne614 said:

I am confused by the above post as it says they are going back to YVR to get an antigen test “as it has to be done within one day of embarkation “.  Isn’t HALs requirement that it has to be done 2 days prior to embarkation?

6 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Transport Canada will always trump the individual cruise line policies within Canadian Ports of Call.

@hvbaskeyis correct - the host country (Canada) policies will trump any corporate (HAL) policies.

I fly into Canada on a Tuesday so planning on getting my test on Monday.  Cruise leaves on Wednesday so I would have to get another one?  I thought that my Monday test would be sufficient for the cruise on Wednesday.

18 minutes ago, Anne614 said:

I fly into Canada on a Tuesday so planning on getting my test on Monday.  Cruise leaves on Wednesday so I would have to get another one?  I thought that my Monday test would be sufficient for the cruise on Wednesday.

Sadly, no. Any chance you could get the test Tues before your flight? If not, another option would be a molecular (PCR) test. It is good up to 72 hours before embarkation. Of course it is significantly more expensive. ☹️

• Like 1

Using the link above; In the Canada app questionnaire,  a hotel stay to quarantine will not be an option.  I guess Concierge cannot be person to bring you food, water, meds., etc.

Even though fully vaccinated, we still need a plan as can be asked at border, if we don’t have one we are not allowed in to Canada.

Cancel cruise now?  🥲Sandipalms

1 hour ago, Sandipalms said:

Using the link above; In the Canada app questionnaire,  a hotel stay to quarantine will not be an option.  I guess Concierge cannot be person to bring you food, water, meds., etc.

Even though fully vaccinated, we still need a plan as can be asked at border, if we don’t have one we are not allowed in to Canada.

Cancel cruise now?  🥲Sandipalms

Hotel stays are perfectly acceptable. But if you are taking a cruise, just list the ship as the quarantine facility. It is after all where one would be quarantined in the event of contracting COVID.

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Sadly, no. Any chance you could get the test Tues before your flight? If not, another option would be a molecular (PCR) test. It is good up to 72 hours before embarkation. Of course it is significantly more expensive. ☹️

So...if I am reading all of the above correctly, currently a PCR test in the US within 72hrs of boarding a flight (or is it when it arrives in Canada?) will allow us to enter Canada, but an antigen test must be 24 hrs before the boarding? So an antigen test must be on, say a Monday for a flight on Tuesday? That (antigen) would only work for both flight and cruise if the cruise is Tuesday or Wednesday. Any longer pre-cruise stay over one night would require another test for the cruise.  Have I made the correct calculations? The 72hr PCR with a 2-night stay would definitely require another test in Canada... unless the cruise line changes the 48-hr pre-test to 72 hrs, as was true originally. I am getting woozy! 🙃. I need a chart....

PS- Above, you mentioned to the poster about taking the antigen test on the Tuesday of their flight. How would that be valid because here in the US, unless you do one of those do-it-yourself online tests, the fastest I've seen available to me take 12 hrs for results. 🤔

Edited by PSR

1 minute ago, PSR said:

So...if I am reading all of the above correctly, currently a PCR test in the US within 72hrs of boarding a flight (or is it when it arrives in Canada?) will allow us to enter Canada, but an antigen test must be 24 hrs before the boarding? So an antigen test must be on, say a Monday for a flight on Tuesday? That (antigen) would only work for both flight and cruise if the cruise is Tuesday or Wednesday. Any longer pre-cruise stay over one night would require another test for the cruise.  Have I made the correct calculations? The 72hr PCR with a 2-night stay would definitely require another test in Canada... unless the cruise line changes the 48-hr pre-test to 72 hrs, as was true originally. I am getting woozy! 🙃. I need a chart....

Negative antigen test must be done within 1 day of scheduled flight departure to Canada.

Negative antigen test must be done within 1 day of scheduled departure of cruise.

Negative molecular (aka PCR) test must be done within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time to Canada.

Negative molecular (aka PCR) test must be done within 72 hours of passenger's scheduled boarding time.

Antigen: test Monday, fly & cruise Monday or Tuesday.

Molecular: test Monday noon, fly & cruise Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday before noon.

There is a lot of other information at https://voyage.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel#board. But the cruise ship section is labelled.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Pass the Murkowski bill for permanent exemption to the foreign port and no one will have to worry about this ever again.

That would stop the ship from stopping in Victoria as a foreign port, but do you mean to stop all cruises out of Vancouver?

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

Antigen: test Monday, fly & cruise Monday or Tuesday.

Molecular: test Monday noon, fly & cruise Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday before noon.

My quotes got out of order, but I assume the test has to be negative before you can board the flight. Our tests aren't that fast, to take and fly the same day.

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

There is a lot of other information at https://voyage.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/domestic-travel#board. But the cruise ship section is labelled.

Thank you, will check it out.

6 minutes ago, broberts said:

Negative molecular (aka PCR) test must be done within 72 hours of passenger's scheduled boarding time.

This is the main problem. HAL requires a 48-hr pretest currently, as far as I know.

PSR my point is pass the bill so that cruises from Seattle can bypass the brief obligatory stop in Victoria and be a more simple and convenient option without the testing.

Cruises from Vancouver can also be an option for both Canadian citizens or Americans who are not put off by the testing.

And of course in subsequent years hopefully the tests will become a moot point.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PSR said:

My quotes got out of order, but I assume the test has to be negative before you can board the flight. Our tests aren't that fast, to take and fly the same day.

Thank you, will check it out.

This is the main problem. HAL requires a 48-hr pretest currently, as far as I know.

You will need to check with HAL. The government of Canada requires that antigen tests be within one day. I suspect HAL will adjust its policy to comply with Canadian regulations for sailings departing from Canada. In doing so it may lengthen the molecular test period to align with Canadian regulations.

Edited by broberts
  • Thanks 1

Broberts & PSR,  I appreciate your taking your time to answer this.

so if I’m understanding;

a negative Antigen test from Abbott BinaxNOW taken 1 day prior to cruise for border & cruise entry or a PCR test taken/results within 72 hours for border/ cruise entry, yes?
Reason for Antigen is that PCR results could take longer as Antigen is done via telemedicine with results usually within 15 minutes.

what if got both an Antigen and PCR to be sure to get into Canada, rather pay than be denied entry.

Thank you for providing HAL cruise ship as my quarantine Point.

Hopefully no break thru cases onboard.

Your assistance and time is greatly appreciated.

Maybe this topic should be moved to the top as the cruise season gets underway, there may be more questions.  
If I make it thru this I will also help post and answer questions for other cruisers going.  Appreciate your patience.

thanks again, Sandipalms