Info about Canada's new covid rules for Cruise ships?

Harrylinden

Effective April 1, 2022:  Coles Notes Version:

Testing to embark:  no change
Testing to disembark:  revised - no longer required

~~~~~~~~~~~
SOURCE LINK (Transport Canada)

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • During a voyage
    • Passengers are required to self-monitor for symptoms and report them to cruise line officials, who will then take appropriate action (testing, isolation, and contact tracing).
  • Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • Effective April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers on cruise ships will no longer need to take a COVID-19 molecular test before disembarking in Canada. All on board, including crew and passengers, must continue to monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after arrival in Canada as per the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order.

Still not clear if Canada will require 1 day Antigen testing for cruises departing the US with stops in or ending up in Canada. Hopefully the government or cruise lines address this soon. 72 hour PCR test is an option, if the timing works out for you.

8 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

Still not clear if Canada will require 1 day Antigen testing for cruises departing the US with stops in or ending up in Canada. Hopefully the government or cruise lines address this soon. 72 hour PCR test is an option, if the timing works out for you.

see post #126 for disembarking in Canada.

Edited by hvbaskey

2 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. I'm still struggling.

I still 2-1/2 months from sailing, so maybe I'll figure it all out before then!

Coles Notes Version:

Testing to embark a cruise ship in Canada:  no change; testing required
Testing to disembark a cruise ship in Canada:  
not required

Edited by hvbaskey

10 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Coles Notes Version:

Testing to embark a cruise ship in Canada:  no change; testing required
Testing to disembark a cruise ship in Canada:  
not required

So you can get off in Canada with out a test but to get on and leave Canada you have to test. LOL makes no sense 

• Like 2

Just now, dave34 said:

So you can get off in Canada with out a test but to get on and leave Canada you have to test. LOL makes no sense 

All Cruise Lines require you to test prior to embarkation; so whether it makes sense or not - it is in line with the cruise line industry protocols.

• Thanks 1

Just now, hvbaskey said:

All Cruise Lines require you to test prior to embarkation; so whether it makes sense or not - it is in line with the cruise line industry protocols.

Most if not all have went to a 2, mostly 3 day antigen that make it a lot more simple for people traveling all day before.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

see post #126 for disembarking in Canada.

What I meant was the embarkation test for cruises that start in the US and end in Canada. Most cruise lines are 2 or 3 days for Antigen test - does Canada now require them all to be 1 day?

6 minutes ago, dave34 said:

Most if not all have went to a 2, mostly 3 day antigen that make it a lot more simple for people traveling all day before.   

There is always the PCR option which gives international travellers 72 hours.  Not ideal, but it's an option for those who are finding the one-day rule not feasible.   

I am flying in early and had to reschedule my test appointment by one day to accommodate the government guidance.  A little bit more time and effort on my part, but also considered a *very minor* inconvenience to enable me to enjoy an awesome vacation.

6 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

What I meant was the embarkation test for cruises that start in the US and end in Canada. Most cruise lines are 2 or 3 days for Antigen test - does Canada now require them all to be 1 day?

That you would have to check with your cruise line, but my best guess is that you abide for the government rules of the country that you are embarking in.  For example, embarking in US = 2 or 3 days; embarking in Canada = 1 day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, XLVIII said:

When allowed Canada has always required antigen within 1 day of scheduled departure for cruises originating in Canada. 

As of April 1, 2022 Canada has no entry test requirement. Preboarding test requirements are typically set by the jurisdiction governing the cruise departure, i.e. US.

1 hour ago, dave34 said:

Don't know about you but it makes perfect sense to me. I don't want to cruise with anyone who is tested COVID positive on boarding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dave34 said:

Wrong. The test has nothing to do with leaving the country. A round-trip cruise from Vancouver also needs a pre-boarding test.

So in my case,  I have a rapid antigen test booked for Friday, we "embark" on our flight to San Diego on Saturday, and board the ship on Sunday.  We return to Canada on April 9.   Think that's going to be alright?  Of course we will double check all the arrangements on board.  And  I suppose, pay for another test on board, if we have to.

17 minutes ago, broberts said:

Wrong. The test has nothing to do with leaving the country. A round-trip cruise from Vancouver also needs a pre-boarding test.

I’m on a north bound one way. The required test not a problem, why a day before when the cruise lines are doing 2 or 3 days. 

2 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Effective April 1, 2022:  Coles Notes Version:

Testing to embark:  no change
Testing to disembark:  revised - no longer required

~~~~~~~~~~~
SOURCE LINK (Transport Canada)

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • During a voyage
    • Passengers are required to self-monitor for symptoms and report them to cruise line officials, who will then take appropriate action (testing, isolation, and contact tracing).
  • Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • Effective April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers on cruise ships will no longer need to take a COVID-19 molecular test before disembarking in Canada. All on board, including crew and passengers, must continue to monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after arrival in Canada as per the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order.

So, I went back to the Government of Canada website, and read the whole page.  The heading is:

107631646_ScreenShot2022-03-18at1_34_05PM.thumb.jpeg.146b4cdf4e08db8c5a27ee7b694cca5f.jpeg

So, I don't think it applies exactly for boarding a cruise ship in the US.  Just for those boarding in Canada.    We will just have to sort it out when the time comes.

1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

I didn't realize that ArriveCan had to be filled out before embarkation...

Yup!  I’ve already started the process (you can start ahead of time, uploading files etc into your profile) in prep for our disembarkation in Vancouver.  There’s a checklist you can follow in link below.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada?utm_campaign=cbsa-asfc-covid19-21-22&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=smo&utm_content=bordermeasures_mar22_en47&fbclid=IwAR2tDVBdc8LQit8poFJHyt_RD1Yf7oChTsdzJxEGQWniYiSz5_IOppimoDQ

49 minutes ago, dave34 said:

I’m on a north bound one way. The required test not a problem, why a day before when the cruise lines are doing 2 or 3 days. 

If the cruise departs from Vancouver the government of Canada sets the rules.

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

If the cruise departs from Vancouver the government of Canada sets the rules.

I understand that, why do they need to make it harder, or different with the test? Don’t want to give up the control 

3 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

I didn't realize that ArriveCan had to be filled out before embarkation...

ArriveCan is for debarkation not embarkation if you are arriving into a Canadian port after a cruise.  If you are arriving via land border or via airplane into Canada you need to have ArriveCan for entry into Canada.  You can only fill out the arrival details up to 72 hours in advance.  Uploading your vaccination records and getting it all ready so when you disembark will make things go more smoothly.  You can also do it last minute.  .  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

No! They're exercising their judgement while fulfilling their fiduciary duties. You may disagree with their policies. You are free to exercise your choice. Adios.

Sure they are smarter than all other cruise ports that require a antigen test 2 or 3 days before boarding. Thanks for setting me straight.  ADIOS

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dave34 said:

Sure they are smarter than all other cruise ports that require a antigen test 2 or 3 days before boarding. Thanks for setting me straight.  ADIOS

There is always Seattle (vs. Vancouver) - so you do have freedom of choice, if the 1-day doesn't suit your plans.

Don't sweat the small stuff 💫🐋

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 1