Likelihood of Cunard updating vaccination requirements?

neeuqdrazil

1 minute ago, lissie said:

Yup but as it stands  -per Cunard's website the 17 April crossing is the last QM cruise which requires vaccination! 

All guests (of all ages) will need to be fully vaccinated in order to travel on any voyage departing up to and including 17 April 2022 for voyages on Queen Mary 2 and 14 May 2022 for voyages on Queen Elizabeth.

No, actually, I believe that, "as it stands", those on the crossing leaving Southampton on the QM2 on April 24 must be vaccinated per Cunard's most recent communication to passengers on that crossing and their travel agents.  One would be bound by the most recent communication.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I wish they'd do a better job sorting this out, too. Telling people about the vaccine requirement 17 days out could be too late for those not vaccinated. I'm glad they continued the requirement, but they need to tell people sooner. Final payment is 4 months out, but you don't know the vaccine situation until more than 3 months AFTER final payment? That's ridiculous. It sounds like they're deciding one cruise at a time.

As for testing, the message Sweetpea received said specifically "vaccination policy." So will there be another message about the "testing policy?" 

It's hard to believe such a disorganized company has managed to stay in business for more than a week.

There is still nothing on the website suggesting that they've extended the vaccination policy.  Its beyond stupid - I've just made payment for a cruise which originates in Canada - we embark in USA. Both countries require us to be vaccinated ... Cunard really needs to get the comms on this sorted  

1 minute ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

No, actually, I believe that, "as it stands", those on the crossing leaving Southampton on the QM2 on April 24 must be vaccinated per Cunard's most recent communication to passengers on that crossing and their travel agents.  One would be bound by the most recent communication.

So why not just put in the on the website! Lot of people will be cancelling because of this issue - I'm a risk taker and it still took us quite an in-depth discussion to make the final payment yesterday for our July cruise. 

3 hours ago, lissie said:

So why not just put in the on the website! Lot of people will be cancelling because of this issue - I'm a risk taker and it still took us quite an in-depth discussion to make the final payment yesterday for our July cruise. 

I'm not much of a risk taker, but I went ahead and paid for my June Alaska cruise. Canada requires vaccinations to cross the border, so passengers will have to be vaccinated. Sad that I'm relying on another country to have a concern for my health. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

The problem is that although you first received that communication on 8 March, I, who was also booked on the 24 April crossing, never did. I also spoke with Cunard directly multiple times after you received that first email, and they indicated that vaccinations were *not* required for the 24 April crossing, based on the policy on the website. 

So should I trust an email that an anonymous person on the internet says that they received, or should I trust the company telling me the opposite? (I don't doubt that you received the email, but not receiving it myself, I had to trust what the company was telling me directly.) 

13 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Thought I would mention that, earlier in this thread, on March 9, I reported that I had received that day from Cunard the following announcement regarding my April 24 crossing:

For your voyage, all guests of all ages need to be fully vaccinated with two doses of a recognised vaccine* a minimum of 14 days prior to travel. If more than 270 days have elapsed since the second vaccine then a booster vaccine will also be required. The 270 days will be calculated from the day of disembarkation from your cruise. Booster vaccinations need to have been administered a minimum of seven days prior to embarkation.

I want to also mention that today, April 7, I had forwarded to me by my travel agent a "Booking Notification" from Cunard about my crossing.  It says that all guests 12 and up must be vaccinated; those 4 and under are exempt; you must show proof of vaccination at the terminal prior to boarding; and depending on embarkation port, observed Covid-19 test with negative result will be required either before getting to the terminal or at the terminal (and that further details on testing will be further provided prior to the cruise).

I also looked back at the notice I received today directly from Cunard to see if I had overlooked anything about testing, and in fact I had.  The notice states the following:

All guests aged five and over will also be required to take a complimentary antigen test once they arrive at the terminal. 

I also received this notice about our May 1 eastbound transAtlantic, including the testing (naturally adjusted for a Brooklyn departure):

"All fully vaccinated guests are required to provide evidence of a negative Covid-19 test result at the cruise terminal, this must be an observed viral (antigen or PCR test), taken within two days prior to embarkation."

1 hour ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

I also received this notice about our May 1 eastbound transAtlantic, including the testing (naturally adjusted for a Brooklyn departure):

"All fully vaccinated guests are required to provide evidence of a negative Covid-19 test result at the cruise terminal, this must be an observed viral (antigen or PCR test), taken within two days prior to embarkation."

Are they requiring you to be fully vaccinated for that cruise too? 

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

Are they requiring you to be fully vaccinated for that cruise too? 

Oh, yes:

"All guests aged 12 years and over will need to be fully vaccinated* in order to sail with us. Children aged between five to 11 years must be fully vaccinated* or provide a negative PCR result prior to sailing. Children aged four years and under are currently exempt from pre‑travel vaccination and testing policies.

All guests will be required to show proof of vaccination status at the terminal prior to boarding. For more information please visit our website."

*The definition of “fully vaccinated” is having completed an approved (by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) or the World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL)) two-dose Covid-19 vaccination course, or the approved single-dose Janssen Covid-19 vaccine, at least 14 days prior to travel. If more than 270 days (calculated from the day of disembarkation from the voyage) have passed since the full completion of a vaccination course, then a booster vaccine will also be required and must be administered a minimum of seven days prior to embarkation. Regardless of the date, if you have already had a booster vaccination then you are eligible to travel.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

What is so outrageous about Cunard requiring all passengers to be fully vaccinated?  Frankly, I would prefer that sort of pre-selection of shipmates: more likely to provide a healthier as well as a more socially responsible group. Win-win.

Nothing at all  -the outrageous bit is that they haven't updated the website to say the vaccine requirement is extended! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

Oh, yes:

"All guests aged 12 years and over will need to be fully vaccinated* in order to sail with us. Children aged between five to 11 years must be fully vaccinated* or provide a negative PCR result prior to sailing. Children aged four years and under are currently exempt from pre‑travel vaccination and testing policies.

All guests will be required to show proof of vaccination status at the terminal prior to boarding. For more information please visit our website."

*The definition of “fully vaccinated” is having completed an approved (by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) or the World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL)) two-dose Covid-19 vaccination course, or the approved single-dose Janssen Covid-19 vaccine, at least 14 days prior to travel. If more than 270 days (calculated from the day of disembarkation from the voyage) have passed since the full completion of a vaccination course, then a booster vaccine will also be required and must be administered a minimum of seven days prior to embarkation. Regardless of the date, if you have already had a booster vaccination then you are eligible to travel.

Excellent - so why don't they bloody well publish it! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

Nothing at all  -the outrageous bit is that they haven't updated the website to say the vaccine requirement is extended! 

Agreed - their lack of thoughtful posting of all sorts of information amazes me.  A major organization with a large customer base should put a little more talent into their information updates.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lissie said:

Excellent - so why don't they bloody well publish it! 

Precisely! I *want* everyone on board to be fully vaxxed - it's the only way I'm going to sail. (It would also be nice if they would inform their CSRs of the change in policy so that they could inform their customers as well.) 

• Like 3

I do think with the hugely increased transmissibility of the Omicron and later variants that vaccinations are only of (a necessary) benefit to the vaccinated as they no longer seem to reduce the chance of transmission of the virus.

I'm a bit peeved about Cunard pushing the testing responsibility and cost onto the traveller, it's one more thing to sort out in the already hectic run up to a cruise, especially if you work.

If vaccinated folk are unlucky enough to get the virus they will transmit as cheerfully as those who have not been vaccinated. Of that there is no argument.

However, being vaccinated does reduce [reduce, not eliminate]  the chance of catching it and to transmit, one has to be infectious and so if folk onboard are vaccinated, it reduces the number of those who  might transmit.

Myth or fact, it's what I believe and so if asked, I go for vaccination requirements and prefer the previous protocol to the revised one.  My fingers are crossed the requirement isn't eliminated entirely.

Didn't help me on the QE last month, triple vaxx'd and very careful following the mask mandates, Vaccinations have meant the effects, for me at least, were manageable, 1:10 to 1:15 having the virus currently in the UK indicates the new variants aren't slowed much by being vaxx'd

2 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Didn't help me on the QE last month, triple vaxx'd and very careful following the mask mandates, Vaccinations have meant the effects, for me at least, were manageable, 1:10 to 1:15 having the virus currently in the UK indicates the new variants aren't slowed much by being vaxx'd

Being vaccinated didn't stop you getting the virus but hopefully, has stopped any long term effects and as you said, the effects were manageable so on a personal basis, that was unlucky, but also, ''lucky''. However, how many vaccinated folk didn't get the virus?

Of course it's all speculation as we'll never know how many were in any infectious spheres and didn't get it, but for me, maybe selfishly,  belt and braces makes me feel more comfortable and if that's just a placebo effect, so be it but I will enjoy my holiday more whilst still masking up and being careful. 🙂

28 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Testing has always been passengers' responsibility for boarding in Brooklyn.

Ah! my mistake I assumed that it was now in force in Southampton as well.

15 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Of the 6 on the quiz team, 50% succumbed on that cruise, and as @Camgirl said, there were a lot of coughers and sniffers in the Commodore club on the last sea day

Actually it was 2/3rds that succumbed in the end and we believe the other third - having had Covid before as well as being vaxxed - was a major factor in them not catching it and escaping quarantine but we will never know. Just like we will never how many ended up in quarantine on that cruise or how many actually also later caught Covid and never tested and avoided quarantine.

I am also for vaccinations on ships (and in general) as I believe it helps lower the severity of Covid effects but my confidence in it (or masks) actually being of any real benefit in stopping you catching the damn thing is now so low based on the QE Northern lights cruise and the high figures in the UK.

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

Of the 6 on the quiz team, 50% succumbed on that cruise, and as @Camgirl said, there were a lot of coughers and sniffers in the Commodore club on the last sea day

Sniffs and coughs can actually be, sniffs and coughs. The general level of immunity to any common virus has plummeted over the last couple of years and although I would not be happy sitting next to anyone sniffing and coughing, I have to accept many of us will succumb to coughs and colds sooner or later and not all, will be from Covid.

(Yes, HostHattie is correct, testing is the responsibility of the passenger for most cruises out of the US. It is part of what we have to do in time and cost to cruise from here. Each passenger must always arrange for their own testing within the time parameters required.)

Regarding Vaccination Requirements

I think that where the issue has come from all of this is that Cunard has not updated their website with the policies… and those of us who love Cunard know that the website is unfortunately something that Cunard is notorious for.

Fabulous and unique experience while on board- but “less than stellar” website.

Yes. They need to fix it. Pronto.

They are causing confusion for passengers.

But

Again, I don’t see Cunard choosing to throw away the vaccination policy… All of the major Cruiselines opted into the voluntary CDC program. They will want to maintain that “Highly Vaccinated” category.

From a business perspective, it would not be smart of them to make any other choice than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

Actually it was 2/3rds that succumbed in the end and we believe the other third - having had Covid before as well as being vaxxed - was a major factor in them not catching it and escaping quarantine but we will never know. Just like we will never how many ended up in quarantine on that cruise or how many actually also later caught Covid and never tested and avoided quarantine.

I am also for vaccinations on ships (and in general) as I believe it helps lower the severity of Covid effects but my confidence in it (or masks) actually being of any real benefit in stopping you catching the damn thing is now so low based on the QE Northern lights cruise and the high figures in the UK.

Bouncingwheel is correct, both Mr Camgirl and I had both had covid within the last six months - me pretty badly, despite being fully vaxxed. Although we had the delta varient, I do believe it gave us that little bit of extra protection so that we didn't succumb on the Northern lights cruise.

I am also very much pro everyone being fully vaccinated on board. But I accept that there is still going to be covid breaking through. I'm not sure there is any way of preventing that. However, if everyone is vaccinated, hopefully no one would become seriously ill. And, hopefully, the infection rate is a little lower due to the extra protection from the vaccinations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

Mask wearing is almost non existent in many areas of life now in the UK which could be why masks aren't terribly effective all the time.

I have spent the morning in a very busy voluntary kitchen/coffee shop and not one patron wore a mask. We, the volunteers, were all masked up.

Unless the numbers of any individual ship's passenger Covid infection is published, we will never know how many infected passengers there are and what percentage of the whole, that is. One has to hope in the main, the protocols in place are working as best they can and most passengers avoid the virus. It's just a shame, for those who don't manage to avoid it.