Theme nights? What to bring/wear!

countercast

I know there are often theme nights, such as 'tropical' or 'fifties', and some people dress accordingly for the fun. How does one know what is scheduled for one's cruise so that a god-awful Hawaiin shirt or poodle skirt isn't taking up precious room in your suitcase unecessarily?!

Working hard to cruise hard!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;12;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Woo-hoo! Christmas on the Legend!

I haven't seen them do "theme nights" in ages.

Back in the day, they regularly did "50's," "country/western," and "Caribbean" themes, but not recently.

As I recall, perhaps 5-10% of the passengers actually bought into it and dressed for the theme.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

almamater.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

I haven't seen theme nights either. They do have a mexican buffet after Cozumel but that's about all.

Kristi - Atom.gif

"No shoes, no shirt, no problem..."

Fantasy 3/95, Fascination 12/01, Conquest 1/03, Glory 9/03, Conquest 1/04, Mariner 9/04, Miracle 2/05

Yeah, those were the days! But I haven't seen or heard of a theme night since my cruises in the '80s.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

It was a recent posting on a review (Chris's?) that talked about a 'tropical' night and our cruise in January with RCCL did have 2 theme nights. It was quite surprising and fun seeing people really getting into it! (Not that I need an excuse to party!) icon_biggrin.gif

So maybe not on Carnival - I don't remember any during our '98 cruise on the Inspiration come to think about it.

But puh-leeze! No Love Boat jokes (puke!)

Working hard to cruise hard!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;12;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Woo-hoo! Christmas on the Legend!

The only theme we saw on our last cruise was for the dinner menus.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Yes, we did have theme nights where lots of passengers got into costume, but I can't comment on Carnival because we haven't sailed with them yet. Please let me know if there will be any though!!

"Nothing should be more highly prized than the value of each day".... celebrating cruise #30 soon

• 7 months later...

On a Carnival ship out of New Orleans for a Fat Tuesday day at sea...don't cha think there should be some masks and beads and general parading and revelry?

Does anyone know what goes on during these auspicious moments?

Thanks,

Cindy

Conquest 2/06

On our Conquest cruise of February 9, 2003, we left two weeks before Mardi Gras. On Friday, February 14th at Midnight on Promenade Deck 5, they had a Mardi Gras Parade. People dressed in costumes, lined up, then all "paraded" down the Promenade Deck. That was all there was to it. All during that cruise there were beads all over the place. People throwing them from their balconies to the balconies below, etc. That is the only themed night we ever saw on our three cruises.

"Midnight on Promenade Deck 5, they had a Mardi Gras Parade."

I looked that up in my copy of the Capers for that cruise just to make sure I had it right. It said "Mardi Gras Parade, Promenade Deck 5, 12:00 AM". We were not told about it ahead of time and I don't know how the passengers knew about it that did bring costumes. As I said in my original posting, that's the only one we've ever seen but they did have it.

Archived