ON BOARD CREDIT, CRUISELINE vs TRAVEL AGENT

Spif Barwunkel

On board credit is a nice addition to the cruising experience. Whether given by the carrier or a TA, it is extra money to spend as you wish. Cruise line OBC, you use it or lose it. Travel Agent OBC, what is not used on the cruise is given to you in another form. We have large amounts of OBC from both sources on upcoming cruises. How does one assure that any expenditures are first taken from the cruise line source until that amount is exhausted? Obviously, it is much more beneficial to maintain monies that will not be given, then taketh away. We have never been in this situation before and are fortunate, I think, to have this dilemma.   

Also posted this on another board in case there are differences between cruise lines. The above-mentioned cruises are on Celebrity.

It is their standard procedure to use your nonrefundable onboard credit before they dip into the refundable.  You shouldn’t need to do anything.

By the way, you can see the onboard credit designations on your television set when you check your account or alternatively you can go to guest relations and they will tell you how much of each there is and what has been used

• Like 1

Agree with the other posters. We asked Guest Relations once when we were trying to reconcile some issues on our statement. Non-refundable OBC comes out first.

Another thing that we found confusing about the onboard accounts is that the charge reflects the location of the computer used to place your “order”, not the final location of the service requested.

If you make a reservation for a wine tasting with the Luminae sommelier, the charge usually shows as Luminae. The one that threw us was a specialty restaurant reservation made right after getting onboard for a first night discount- the crewman taking reservations had a laptop from his restaurant, but he made us a reservation for a different specialty, the reservation was fine, but the charge looked wrong.o

59 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

On board credit is a nice addition to the cruising experience. Whether given by the carrier or a TA, it is extra money to spend as you wish. Cruise line OBC, you use it or lose it. Travel Agent OBC, what is not used on the cruise is given to you in another form. We have large amounts of OBC from both sources on upcoming cruises. How does one assure that any expenditures are first taken from the cruise line source until that amount is exhausted? Obviously, it is much more beneficial to maintain monies that will not be given, then taketh away. We have never been in this situation before and are fortunate, I think, to have this dilemma.   

Also posted this on another board in case there are differences between cruise lines. The above-mentioned cruises are on Celebrity.

You can check your account daily either on you TV or Celebrity App.   I've always seen the charges taken against the NR OBC.    You can also ask Guest Relations to print a statement any time.

By the way if you do not spend your Refundable OBC you can either ask for it in cash at the Reception area or when they zero out the cruise at the end it is refunded to your Credit Card. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can check your account daily either on you TV or Celebrity App.   I've always seen the charges taken against the NR OBC.    You can also ask Guest Relations to print a statement any time.

By the way if you do not spend your Refundable OBC you can either ask for it in cash at the Reception area or when they zero out the cruise at the end it is refunded to your Credit Card. 

My TA informed me that they are making changes to OBC coming from their company.  The intent is TA OBC will not be refundable for bookings made after a date in the future.  They are moving to pay for specific services from shore excursions and upgraded drink packages to spa treatments. 

Be sure to check your OBC totals after the first or second day onboard. If its not all there inform guest services and they will trace it and get it deposited into your account. I was missing $950 last fall, seems like our online TA was slow in authorizing the transfer. Be sure to take a copy of the TA’s  invoice that shows the amount you are quoted at time you made the reservation.

11 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

My TA informed me that they are making changes to OBC coming from their company.  The intent is TA OBC will not be refundable for bookings made after a date in the future.  They are moving to pay for specific services from shore excursions and upgraded drink packages to spa treatments. 

Interesting. Personally, I like this idea. As with the cruise line OBC which automatically pays for any pre-booked ship's excursions - which we do - prior to sailing day, TA OBC would do the same. I would prefer to have most of my OBC exhausted prior to sailing with only an easily managed amount remaining to use on the ship.

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I would be looking for a new TA.  That doesn’t work for me at all.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

That would be disappointing to me.  I like having it available if I want to use it on something, but getting it refunded if I don’t.  Our last three cruises we got it refunded, and it basically paid for our pet sitter.

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Refundable OBC you can either ask for it in cash at the Reception area or when they zero out the cruise at the end it is refunded to your Credit Card. 

Thank you for this.

However, for a Canadian , I would suggest asking for any Refundable OBC ( $ US ) in cash rather than having it refunded to a Credit Card ( $ US funds ).  

Reason -- You might not be using your $US Credit Card for quite some time and it's better to have the cash in hand and deposit it into your account ( either a $US or convert to $Canadian ) back home. It's much easier than having the Credit Card company transfer the funds back to your cash account.

We already had so much X OBC on our last cruise that our TA offered to send us a check at the end of our B2B rather than adding it to our shipboard account and having to cash out aboard.  This 'new plan' would not allow for that.  

The earlier comment over simplifies OBC. The way OBC is distributed by TA's is not so cut and dry. It can be handled several ways behind the scenes, most of which is irrelevant to the customer. Some of it is on a sales incentive basis to the TA from Celebrity, some can come from a point system, some can come as a credit back on commission. Your TA should be able to tell you which of their portion offered is refundable or not.

40 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Interesting. Personally, I like this idea. As with the cruise line OBC which automatically pays for any pre-booked ship's excursions - which we do - prior to sailing day, TA OBC would do the same. I would prefer to have most of my OBC exhausted prior to sailing with only an easily managed amount remaining to use on the ship.

I agree. I don't know if people realize that much of the OBC that the TAs pay comes out of their commission - so taking the refunded money as cash is taking money away from them. I don't blame agencies at all for going in the "not refundable to you" direction.

11 hours ago, Poconolady said:

Be sure to check your OBC totals after the first or second day onboard. If its not all there inform guest services and they will trace it and get it deposited into your account. I was missing $950 last fall, seems like our online TA was slow in authorizing the transfer. Be sure to take a copy of the TA’s  invoice that shows the amount you are quoted at time you made the reservation.

Once on board, I have discovered OBC missing from my account on more than one occasion.   I always have every piece of documentation showing our OBC, not only from Celebrity, but from our TA.   After they see the documentation, the missing OBC has always been credited to my account.  

Edited by kokopelli-az

On 3/10/2022 at 4:19 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

That would certainly put your TA at a competitive disadvantage.  My TA either gives me refundable OBC, (usually Celebrity), a discount (usually Princess), or a rebate check.  Either one works for me.  
if it is an across the board change for Celebrity/RCL ( I doubt it), they will need to loosen their restriction on advertised discounts.  

I know of no other cruise line that only allows non refundable TA type OBC.  

On 3/10/2022 at 7:19 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

If this happens with the online travel agencies I use, I’ll move on. We have no use for nonrefundable obc. We stopped spending money on the ship years ago. They made cutbacks and changes and price increases to improve profitability, we did the same. We have noticed no change in the experience but a big difference in the wallet, not that we need it.

At least Celebrity lets us use our OBC before we board for booking specialty restaurants, shore excursions and spa services. I found out today our sizable OBC from HAL on our August Oosterdam cruise can only be spent once we board.  We cannot pre book or reserve anything pre cruise. I had a rather heated conversation with a CS rep at HAL today about this and was told it is called On Board Credit that can only be used on board. We got the OBC from a HAL booking promo back in 2020. They did say any OBC from a non-HAL source can be used pre cruise. Thankfully this is my last HAL cruise and we are 4 star in their loyalty program. 

Terrydtx, I agree that it was a nice Celebrity change when they starting allowing us to us Celebrity OBC in advance.  I do not recall exactly when Celebrity made the change.  Maybe 5 years ago?

HAL certainly very slow in making changes.  I guess their main customers do not like changes.  Do they evven have Select or Anytime dining yet? Attempt at humor)

Edited by jagoffee

On 3/11/2022 at 10:19 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I agree. I don't know if people realize that much of the OBC that the TAs pay comes out of their commission - so taking the refunded money as cash is taking money away from them. I don't blame agencies at all for going in the "not refundable to you" direction.

They would not offer it if they were still not making a profit 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 8:19 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If the TA gives you no refundable obc, where does that money come from? The same pocket that the refundable obc came from.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If the TA gives you no refundable obc, where does that money come from? The same pocket that the refundable obc came from.

Right, but I think the point was if you don't use it then it will go back to travel agent instead of cash in your pocket.  At least I think thats where they were going...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whitshel said:

Right, but I think the point was if you don't use it then it will go back to travel agent instead of cash in your pocket.  At least I think thats where they were going...

I have no desire to receive nonrefundable obc from anybody. There is nothing on board that I would spend money on, mine or somebody else’s, on things that are grossly overpriced.