How are the Swans doing 2022??

On 8/11/2022 at 7:24 AM, MicCanberra said:

The team sport that is most played in Australia is Soccer,  Basketball and then Aussie rules and cricket.

I'm pretty sure netball is right up there in terms of team sport participation in Australia. Don't think it's number one (football for sure) though.

(I spend most winter saturdays at Blacktown netball courts)

• Like 1

Swans v Pies was a ripper game.  Massive crowd too, around 44k.   I believe the second largest ever home & away crowd at the SCG (I was at the last one too, if I recall it was around 46k against Geelong in 1997/8).  Massive atmosphere, it felt like a final. I attended a 20-year member function before the game, and by the time I got in, the members reserve was already packed. I ended up sitting right in the front of the Noble stand. I got literally a front row seat to Buddy's great 4th quarter goal.

Very composed performance against a pretty good side - we're building nicely now and if we hold our nerve next week against St Kilda, we're looking good for 2nd, which means we would be able to just camp out at the SCG until the grand final - an ideal run for a contender.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, losfp said:

I'm pretty sure netball is right up there in terms of team sport participation in Australia. Don't think it's number one (football for sure) though.

Years ago it was, but in 2020 it doesn't make the top 5 team sports, I suppose it may be due to other sports making it easier for girls to play ( actually having a competition) which spreads girls across the codes.

16 hours ago, losfp said:

It depends on what list you look at. All the ones I found, netball is in the top five of team participants. A couple had AFL as the top, another couple had soccer and one had cricket.

When I posted that question, I was considering suggesting that Netball was the most popular sport. Then Mic noted the important point about playing vs watching. If I had made a guess, I would have said Netball was up there in both categories. Hard for us to know over here, I don't think we even play netball here. Although I think it would be a hit if we did.

On a separate but somewhat related note, do lots of people play pickleball down under? It's very popular here, especially with older folks (and on cruise ships).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

On a separate but somewhat related note, do lots of people play pickleball down under? It's very popular here, especially with older folks (and on cruise ships).

Not that I know of, I hadn't until I cruised with some people from the US back in 2016, I had a few games. It was fun but more because  of the people than the game which is like a cross between tennis, and badminton using paddles.

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not that I know of, I hadn't until I cruised with some people from the US back in 2016, I had a few games. It was fun but more because  of the people than the game which is like a cross between tennis, and badminton using paddles.

That's interesting. I wondered if it's just a US thing; I have friends who are crazy about it. Good description of it too.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Melbourne 3rd vs Brisbane 4th playing in Brisbane, winner goes to 2nd at least temporarily. Half time score Demons 81 to Lions 15, total domination.

Final score puts Melbourne 2nd, Sydney need a big win now if they want 2nd place and a home final next week.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Final score puts Melbourne 2nd, Sydney need a big win now if they want 2nd place and a home final next week.

Oh nooo, the pressure, the expectations, the suspense, what will happen 😲😁 I'll go check but I hope that the Swans are favored.

Edited by NoWhiners
fix

This was posted on a Swans forum after the Demons won ...

These scores would get us ahead of Melbourne:
0-35 (35 points)
10-48 (38 points)
20-61 (41 points)
30-74 (44 points)
40-87 (47 points)
50-100 (50 points)
60-113 (53 points)
70-126 (56 points)
80-139 (59 points)
90-152 (62 points)
100-165 (65 points)

So we start out 35 points behind, and then we need to score 13 points for every 10 points the Saints score.

Cheer, Cheer  🦢

PG 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Poundgirl said:

This was posted on a Swans forum after the Demons won ...

These scores would get us ahead of Melbourne:
0-35 (35 points)
10-48 (38 points)
20-61 (41 points)
30-74 (44 points)
40-87 (47 points)
50-100 (50 points)
60-113 (53 points)
70-126 (56 points)
80-139 (59 points)
90-152 (62 points)
100-165 (65 points)

So we start out 35 points behind, and then we need to score 13 points for every 10 points the Saints score.

Cheer, Cheer  🦢

PG 

This is awesome info to have, thanks Poundgirl. Game won't be on here but I will depend on all of you to keep me posted. Thanks, as always.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Swans 4.2 (26) to Saints 3.3 (21), lead by 5 points at 1/4 time

Carlton up by 24 points at 3/4 time.

Oops, see Mic beat me to it.

Edited by possum52