New 2022 Coral Princess Releases

I realize all those things but it just sounded so funny given the current circumstances. Of course all those ports can only take one ship at a time but it does seem strange that the port bookings weren't confirmed before the itinerary was released. Ah well, just anothe snafu! It doesn't bother us which way round we go, in fact it's better for us as we have a starboard cabin on that cruise so will enjoy coastal views coming down from Cairns/PD.

2 minutes ago, sewgood said:

I had a port stop in Townsville about 11 years ago on the Pacific Sun and really enjoyed the day.

It was something different and so few cruise ships go there.

I took the ferry out to Magnetic Island and caught the local bus around the island and then came back over to town and took a stroll around the main street to buy some goodies.

Right in front of me now is a photo I took on the day of my then 10 year old niece in front of an old wooden jetty out on Magnetic island.

Is there some reason why not many ships call there?

We have been on a cruise that went to Townsville. The ship had to anchor quite a long way out - way past Magnetic Island. It was quite a long tender ride. Cruise companies prefer ports where they can tie up.

I can't remember tendering that day, maybe the Pacific Sun being such an old ship it was small enough to dock, but most likely I've just forgotten tendering.

I don't suppose any of the mass market cruise lines have ships these days small enough to dock.

3 minutes ago, sewgood said:

I can't remember tendering that day, maybe the Pacific Sun being such an old ship it was small enough to dock, but most likely I've just forgotten tendering.

I don't suppose any of the mass market cruise lines have ships these days small enough to dock.

I am pretty sure we would have been on the Pacific Sun. It was a long time ago.🙂

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Cruise companies prefer ports where they can tie up.

They prefer it, but they will go to Airlie Beach and Port Douglas.

"Townsville is a unique and thoroughly welcoming destination for cruise ships, their passengers and crew. The Townsville Port boasts a near-new cruise ship terminal (Quayside Terminal) and a berth that (at a minimum) can accommodate vessels with dimensions LOA - 238 metres.  Larger vessels are able to anchor safely off Magnetic Island - SeaLink Queensland provide exceptional tender services and can transfer up to 300 passengers per ferry."

https://www.townsville-port.com.au/operations/shipping/cruise/

Just now, SinbadThePorter said:

They prefer it, but they will go to Airlie Beach and Port Douglas.

"Townsville is a unique and thoroughly welcoming destination for cruise ships, their passengers and crew. The Townsville Port boasts a near-new cruise ship terminal (Quayside Terminal) and a berth that (at a minimum) can accommodate vessels with dimensions LOA - 238 metres.  Larger vessels are able to anchor safely off Magnetic Island - SeaLink Queensland provide exceptional tender services and can transfer up to 300 passengers per ferry."

https://www.townsville-port.com.au/operations/shipping/cruise/

Cruise ships go to Airlie Beach and Port Douglas because visits to the reef are a major drawcard.

I agree with you comment that Townsville would be a good port of call but it doesn't have as many attractions as Cairns (the Skyrail to Kuranda and also nearby reef islands).

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Cruise ships go to Airlie Beach and Port Douglas because visits to the reef are a major drawcard.

The best coral I ever saw was at Orpheus Island. It's not particularly difficult to get out to the reef from Townsville. It might be one of those "build it and they will come" kind of things. 🙂

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The best coral I ever saw was at Orpheus Island. It's not particularly difficult to get out to the reef from Townsville. It might be one of those "build it and they will come" kind of things. 🙂

The Outer Reef is further off-shore from Townsville than it is in the far north.

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

When they built the cruise terminal in Townsville, it looked like they were trying to join in the cruise loop, or squeeze one of the other ports out. Since it opened, P&O took Pacific Dawn to QLD and 245m was just a bit too long. Even Pacific Sun only called in rarely. I think the last time was for a V8 Supercar cruise.

There is a bit more to Townsville to add to the other ideas, even tendering to Maggie Island instead. Any sightseeing tour would have to include Castle Hill which is pretty spectacular.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, arxcards said:

When they built the cruise terminal in Townsville, it looked like they were trying to join in the cruise loop, or squeeze one of the other ports out. Since it opened, P&O took Pacific Dawn to QLD and 245m was just a bit too long. Even Pacific Sun only called in rarely. I think the last time was for a V8 Supercar cruise.

There is a bit more to Townsville to add to the other ideas, even tendering to Maggie Island instead. Any sightseeing tour would have to include Castle Hill which is pretty spectacular.

The Strand is great as well.  Been to Townsvegas several times over the years. My eldest Grand daughter - The Vet lives and works there now. She also did her 5 years Vet degree at James Cook Uni, there.  Too hot for moi, apart from June, July, August when it is nice.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The Strand is great as well.  Been to Townsvegas several times over the years. My eldest Grand daughter - The Vet lives and works there now. She also did her 5 years Vet degree at James Cook Uni, there.  Too hot for moi, apart from June, July, August when it is nice.

My SIL lived on the northern beaches for years, so we got to spend a bit of time there. I can handle it up to October, but not between then and Easter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

My SIL lived on the northern beaches for years, so we got to spend a bit of time there. I can handle it up to October, but not between then and Easter.

My grand daughter runs up and down Castle Hill with her dog, she is a nutter runner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am pretty sure we would have been on the Pacific Sun. It was a long time ago.🙂

We docked in Townsville on Pacific Eden on the way back from PNG and the Soloman Islands in 2019. There was a shuttle bus in to town and several excursions available.