Real-Time Review by SthrnGary of the NCL Joy, March 19, 2022, Cruise in “Haven Lite”

Sthrngary

13 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Please remember, when you go on a cruise, our tendency is to eat a lot initially and as the week goes on, the foods become less of a special thing.

Amen to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The NCL Joy does not have a Thermal Spa.  It was made for the Asian market and it was not installed.  Most of the other NCL ship have the Thermal Spa.  

Thanks. Just finished chatting with an agent online. A week long pass to the Thermal Suite is $249 USD per person, which is the pre-booking price.  

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I will attempt to do attach a Daily Agenda some time soon.  That information is on it.  The issue on the shows is the time sometime changes.  For example, if my memory hold well, the first night Beatles show has two time on my November Cruise.  This time it was only 08:00 PM.  

You can get the dailies quicker by searching the key word dailies in the NCL blog.  A very kind member of cruise critic just downloaded them two weeks ago.  I hope that helps you out.

I am cruising well.

Checking to see if we could locate a few. Just wondering if we can fit dinner in at the Haven Restaurant, go see a show and then spend some time in the Thermal Suite before it closes for the night.  

• Like 1

Gym was great. Crew was helpful. First time exercising on a cruise. The main pool is super crowded telling me that the capacity on the ship this week is much higher than it was in November. The lounge chair hogs are alive and well however you don’t see them you just see their towels. Everybody has a great attitude which makes cruising even in a more crowded ship a lot more fun. It’s shower time and off to the vibe beach club which of course is renamed the Gary beach club.

59568B3A-189A-4161-85AC-3ABD55866A4B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Gym was great. Crew was helpful. First time exercising on a cruise. The main pool is super crowded telling me that the capacity on the ship this week is much higher than it was in November. The lounge chair hogs are alive and well however you don’t see them you just see their towels. Everybody has a great attitude which makes cruising even in a more crowded ship a lot more fun. It’s shower time and off to the vibe beach club which of course is renamed the Gary beach club.

59568B3A-189A-4161-85AC-3ABD55866A4B.jpeg

Re: chair hogs -

Cruise lines should make a rule that just a towel will not “hold” a chair.

No, it won’t fix the problem, but it will make holding a chair a little more difficult for the hogs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Food Quality: The buffet is about what you would expect.  All I wanted was Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese and a toasted bagel.  I looked around and found it.  The omelet line was kind of long, but they were fresh omelets.  I am not an omelet guy. I got exactly what I wanted and could control my quantities because I served myself.  I noticed there was a Starbucks shop in the buffet which is something I never knew. Now in the Haven, the food is off a menu except for a very small fresh buffet.  No question the food quality in the Haven Restuarant is better. 

We've been able to order fresh over-easy eggs at the omelet station in the past. They may still do that, if you'd like one or two eggs and not all the extra stuff that comes in an omelet.

1 minute ago, SplashOfWater said:

We've been able to order fresh over-easy eggs at the omelet station in the past. They may still do that, if you'd like one or two eggs and not all the extra stuff that comes in an omelet.

Yes, they will do that as well as freshly scramble them, if that is what you prefer.

• Thanks 1

I have been asked what is different with cruising solo.  I have a answer. 

I spent lots of time in the hot tub in the “Gary Beach Club”.

Mr.Sexy legs contest at the pool was over the top funny. 

I eat far less and make good choices. That picture is a salad for lunch.

I drink better but not as often. The other picture is Tequila 1942.

I  Exercise which I don’t do at home.

I engage with more people with the goal of making someone’s day.

I just bought a girl who is having her 30th birthday today a tequila 1942. It made her day as well as it made mine. 

I am now siting in the observation lounge chilling with my drink.  The person to the right and left of me are asleep. Great day!!!

I am cruising well!!!!

6CA3A21A-A1CA-427B-AF06-2490595289C0.jpeg

E595FC47-FD3F-4B5E-98DC-321CC783298B.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

Yes, they will do that as well as freshly scramble them, if that is what you prefer.

I got into poached eggs while cruising- I just pick them up last so they’re not cold by the time you sit down 

• Thanks 1

I am taking a leaf out of your book and going with a club balcony rather than Haven for my sailing on Bliss next month (Haven pricing is extortionate right now). I've been reading the "amenities" list for club balcony and it mentions snacks delivered to the room. Any info on this? Is this similar to Haven where you can ask for M&Ms or gummy bears? And who would you ask? Thanks for any info you might have!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I am taking a leaf out of your book and going with a club balcony rather than Haven for my sailing on Bliss next month (Haven pricing is extortionate right now). I've been reading the "amenities" list for club balcony and it mentions snacks delivered to the room. Any info on this? Is this similar to Haven where you can ask for M&Ms or gummy bears? And who would you ask? Thanks for any info you might have!

See picture below.

4B76A155-3078-4396-997D-47C58329A7C6.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Oh......

Now to ask myself if those daily gummy bears are worth the $2k upgrade bid. Lol

I want to add I had a 5 day in  a Club or whatever they are called this week mini suite on Escape Dec. of last year and I also got random plates and not every day, and you could not ask for things, just tell them what you could not eat (like allergy issues).  

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I've been reading the "amenities" list for club balcony and it mentions snacks delivered to the room. Any info on this? Is this similar to Haven where you can ask for M&Ms or gummy bears? And who would you ask? Thanks for any info you might have!

I was on the Bliss Club Balcony back in December.  AFAIK, you get what they give you, though I didn't ask for anything specifically with regard to snacks so I suppose you could make the request and see what happens.  There were fresh cookies one day, chocolate covered strawberries on embarkation day (though that may have been from CAS.)  Remember, the non-Haven stewards cover more rooms so there will be less "special" service, though my sailing was at 40%.

If I recall, I made two special requests, and yes, I tip at the beginning and (for good service) at the end of a cruise:  1) Empty the fridge:  I had Premium Plus and figured I'd fill it with bottles of my "free" Pellegrino versus something I'd need to pay for; 2) Make me a towel animal every night.  Yeah, I'm juvenile but they got more likes on my social media than some of the destinations I posted 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

A light snack (such as the one Gary posted) will be delivered twice during a 7-day cruise. It's not worth the upgrade from a regular balcony. Neither is the free bottle of sparkling wine, which is the same horrible stuff you get as a Latitudes member anyway.

The shower, on the other hand... that's nice. Very nice.

I had my own Haven Lite experience on Bliss with Club Balcony + Thermal Suite. No steady supply of snacks but TBH, that's probably for the best...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, coastcat said:

free bottle of sparkling wine, which is the same horrible stuff you get as a Latitudes member anyway.

@coastcatLOL, it is awful sparkling wine for sure. So here is my story.  I was walking up the floor on deck nine where my stateroom is located.  A door was open, and I saw a stateroom about the same size as mine.  There was a bed and bunk beds.  A family of four were in there.  I walked back to my cabin, got my unopened bottle of sparkling wine and asked the mom if she wanted another bottle.  It was like she won the lottery.  That made me feel good and a great way to make someone's day.

Now tonight, I am going to put a hurting on NCL and the "Plus" package.  There is French champagne in my future. 

Cruise well.

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Installment #5: First full day

Sea Day (Sunday, March 20, 2022):

Breakfast: I love breakfast.  However, when I cruise, I usually only do a full breakfast the first morning.  I find that at this stage in my life, I can eat way too much.  Yet on day one, if I am in the Haven, I do my classic steak and eggs.  This cruise, I am first going to the observation deck for a Starbucks and a Danish.  Then I will venture out for a full breakfast either in the Local, Main Dining Room or Buffet. 

Everything has gone to plan.  The Starbucks on the observation deck was complementary with the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  The light snacks for breakfast were just ok.  They did not have the almond Danish which I love and found out is only in the Haven.  I met a friend from Cruise Critic (Gary) and he brought me a plate of four this morning.  They were every thing I remember and that gesture was so appreciated.

I ended up going to the Buffet for Breakfast and it was good.  What I wanted was smoked salmon and a toasted bagel.  This was better than the Haven because the bagels were bigger.  I also had some cold cuts which for me is a perfect breakfast. Tomorrow I will go to the MDR for Breakfast and have classic eggs benedict.

The Gym:  I used to exercise regularly with a personal trainer.  Then Covid-19 hit and I have not gotten back.  Today, I made a good choice to do the treadmill.  25 minutes and a little over a mile later I was done.  This was a huge step in getting myself back into shape and enjoying the process. This is out of character for me.  I have been a lazy person for a long time.

Reconnaissance Mission: Call me silly.  I always upgrade my drink package to the “Premium Plus Drink Package”.  My favorite drink is Tequila 1942.  When you are in the Haven, the Haven bar has it every time. However, this cruise, I will have to find the bar that has this fine bottle of Tequila.  This will be my mission. Somebody must do it, why not me. There it was in of all places, the deck 15 Observation Lounge. “Great Success”.

• NOTE: I have been told, many brands have been not available due to supply chain issues.

Vibe (Gary) Beach Club: OK, I have been very complementary of the Vibe Beach Club here on the Joy.  My first experience. I entered, found a lounge chair.  The next thing I know, the crew put extra towels on the chair, brought over ice water and fresh fruit.  Without asking, a Tequila was by my water.  Just so everyone that is reading this knows. I walked past the pool.  It was super crowded.  The Chair Hogs were fully engaged.  Now everyone had smiles on their face but that is not my scene.  I walk into the Vibe which is sold out.  Lots of chairs available, umbrellas if you want one and room in the Hot Tub if you want in. You make your own decision on if $209.00 for the week a good deal was. For those of you that are interested. I will tip these folks tomorrow $50.00.  My choice and my pleasure. They pool their tips and deserve every penny.  I could not be happier.

Lunch in the Buffet:  The more I cruise the more I know to go easy on the food.  Splurge a little for sure.  For a fat guy, I love salad bars.  That was my focus today and it did not disappoint. They were out of Blue Cheese dressing, but I love 1000 island also.  I skipped the bread but did have a small soft served ice cream on the way out. 

Observation Lounge Deck 15: My room was being cleaned so I went to the Observation deck.  There is a young lady having her 30th birthday on the ship.  I saw her and bought her a Tequila 1942.  I don’t think she liked it, but she was thrilled to try something new.  Everyone’s job on a cruise is to make someone’s day.  I can’t not emphasize enough how lovely this Observation deck really is.  The views are fantastic.

Mr. Sexy Legs Contest by the Pool:  This is a must see.  Have a drink in hand.  Today was extra special because the pool was really crowded.  Enough said, make this a priority on your cruising strategy.

Gambling: I am skipping Gambling this trip.  My choice and a wise thing for me to do.  I will give NCL more money other ways. Maybe I will tip more which would be far less then my playing blackjack or slots.  I know me. 

Afternoon Snack:  I get to my stateroom and there is an afternoon snack.  Very nice.  It seems you get two during the week.  Nice touch for a relatively inexpensive Club Balcony Suite (MC). Many questions are on social media about these snacks.  They are standard and you really can’t ask for a custom snack.  You can tell you room steward of any food allergies though.

My Stateroom: As I have stated, I have a Club Balcony Suite (MC).  It is a nice stateroom.  I have no complaints with one exception.  The tub/shower has very high sides on the tub.  You really must lift your leg up or you will trip.  Just make a note of that.  A little about the room.  King sized bed that is very comfortable.  Couch that turns into a queen I believe. Adequate storage for two people including hanging clothes. There are enough US electrical plugs and by your bed, you have USB that is on your bedside light which is very convenient.  The Flat Screen is a bit small but a good size for a smaller room. The bathroom has a double sink, toilet, and bathtub/shower. The soaps are in a wall dispenser. The balcony is on the smaller size yet has two chairs and a small table. 

Dinner Tonight Will in the MDR:  The “Blue Plate Special” in the Local was Chicken Parm.  I just had Veal Parm on Friday night, so I elected to go to the main dining room.  I will take pictures and give descriptions in a later posting. 

I hope I have answered all the question everyone has asked.  

Cruise well.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

My Stateroom: As I have stated, I have a Club Balcony Suite (MC).  It is a nice stateroom.  I have no complaints with one exception.  The tub/shower has very high sides on the tub.  You really must lift your leg up or you will trip.  

I had a mini-suite on the Gem about 5 years ago...with that dreaded tub.  I'm short.  Now that I'm older and shorter....I avoid mini-suites (or any cabin with a tub) because of that experience!  It was really scary; if you read reviews "vertically challenged" people  or people  "with bad knees etc" will agree.  

Glad you're enjoying your time......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re: Tub, it is interesting, I have stayed in a Large Balcony version of this room on Escape several times and it is a walk in shower, which was key when I took my mom on a cruise in December.  I did not realize that it was different in the other versions of the same room.  The one I was in was cat M6.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FM said:

Just finished chatting with an agent online. A week long pass to the Thermal Suite is $249 USD per person, which is the pre-booking price.  

Are you cruising on the Joy? There is no Thermal Suite on the Joy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Re: Tub, it is interesting, I have stayed in a Large Balcony version of this room on Escape several times and it is a walk in shower, which was key when I took my mom on a cruise in December.  I did not realize that it was different in the other versions of the same room.  The one I was in was cat M6.  

Yes....different for different ships.

I was on the BA in the mini-club balcony....walk in shower.

I originally booked sailawy mini-club balcony on the Getaway (next week)...and someone pointed out that some of them have the tubs; youtube confirmed!  So I switched to a balcony.  The extended deck mini clubs have walk-in showers ( that's the M-6).  I think (after doing some research) the "family mini-clubs" have the tubs (on the Getaway anyway).  They are good tubs for a child.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yes....different for different ships.

I was on the BA in the mini-club balcony....walk in shower.

I originally booked sailawy mini-club balcony on the Getaway (next week)...and someone pointed out that some of them have the tubs; youtube confirmed!  So I switched to a balcony.  The extended deck mini clubs have walk-in showers ( that's the M-6).  I think (after doing some research) the "family mini-clubs" have the tubs (on the Getaway anyway).  They are good tubs for a child.

That makes sense, I have only every done M6 for my mini-suites.  

• Like 1