Holland America Launches Facial Recognition Embarkation Program

Fouremco

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

According to this article in Cruise News, this new check in technology will be used in Canada too.

https://cruiseradio.net/holland-america-facial-recognition-embarkation-program-verifly-app/

Facial recognition technology was used on our Norwegian Encore cruise Feb 27th and at disembarkation for customs. It’s fabulous. On NCL we all checked out of the ship and back in at the ports without using cards. And when it was time to leave the same applied as we left the ship and again as we entered customs area. The whole process was seamless. No line ups to talk to an official.  A week later on the Oasis Mar 6 cruise, cards were used for exit/entry and on board as usual. On disembarkation the customs hall was facial recognition. A photo was taken at the ramp on board, and eventually I was rushed through to the camera in the customs hall that was unmanned this time. As I approached I was removing my mask so the photo was rejected and I had to go chat to a US customs official. 

• Thanks 1

It was quick & easy when we got off the Millennium beginning of Marchat Pier 25 but not sure it’s at all Pier’s yet.  Also Nexus going worked well for David but not for me & hardly any Nexus machines worked period coming back to Toronto, but they are starting with pass through machines for Nexus but didn’t work yet, but there’s hope.

Edited by If only

We experienced this on a HAL cruise in early December.  It’s a lot like the facial recognition technology they installed in the UK (and elsewhere in Europe) a number of years ago, although a modified process.  Loved the new system and even better than Global Entry/NEXUS!  The lines were moving at lightning speed.

• Like 1