Seabourn Expedition on Pursuit- Is this a good Alaska itinerary ?

Jimpeyton

I see one of the new expedition ships (Pursuit) is doing an Alaskan cruise.  I've never done an Alaskan cruise, and was wondering if this is a good/worthy itinerary ? I'm interested because I think it would be advantageous to see Alaska on a new small ship.  Possibly more access to areas that larger boats can't , plus less people on the ship make it appealing.  Also, wondering if the weather would be very cold considering the cruise starts in mid September.   I work, so a somewhat short itinerary works for me.

- Is this a worthy Alaskan itinerary ? 

- Will it be too cold to enjoy ?  

- here is the link to the cruise. https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/A3S12AR22/P348.html

Thank you 

This is a terrific itinerary. It's one of the few I've seen that includes Nome -- a fascinating destination. You also visit the crafting ports of "Dealiest" Catch fame. I didn't notice when the cruise went, but given you'll be about 30 miles from Siberia, you may have some "practice" flights of Russian bombers and may even encounter one of their Naval destroyers or cruisers. I've seen all of these when approaching Russian waters.

• Like 1

We love going to cold weather destinations and especially on a ship like Pursuit which seems designed for that type of rugged and chilly environment. To me, the interior design of the ship seems somewhat akin to a luxury ski lodge and I’d rather be onboard when the conditions were brisk rather than warm. It just adds to the ambience.

In December we traveled on Crystal Endeavor to Antarctica and are quite excited to try Venture this summer to the Arctic. Your Alaska itinerary is also on our list.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Late September is very much the end of the Alaska cruise season.  Weather is a gamble; it could be fine, it could rain the whole time.  Most of the ports won't have much tourist infrastructure (I wouldn't miss the "Diamonds International" stores, but there won't be much in the way of excursions either). 

I think this itinerary might be good for a second (or third) trip to Alaska, but I think a more traditional few days of Fairbanks-Denali-Seward and then board a 7 day cruise to Vancouver might be a better first trip.      

• Like 1