Elegantly Casual

Reina del Mar

2 minutes ago, rbtan said:

For Princes, basically, I'd take that as khaki type slacks with a sport coat. No tie. Also no jeans. Nice loafer type shoes/boat shoes(Sperry etc.).  On Cunard, it would generally mean...Again no jeans. More dressy slacks & more of a dressy shirt & dressier shoes. I guess dress like you're going to a decent restaurant, but not too high-end, but also not like Golden Corral. I'm sure the trolls will have their opinions.

what are 'dressier shoes' ?

On Oceania they call it "Country Club Casual". I/E no suits/tuxes the like. Basically what we wear on that line is: Nice khaki type pants(better than Dockers)Polo works fine. We wear nice quality Hawaiian shirts (Tommy Bahama etc.)also a few dressier Ralph Lauren type shirts. For shoes, either Sperry or Timberland dock(boat shoes) a sport coat for the specialty rest. No coat in the MDR. No formal nights on Oceania.

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what are 'dressier shoes' ?

More stylish Italian type. Not formal just more stylish. Doesn't have to be Italian, just using that as an example. We do Oceania most often. Just read some of my posts & you'll get he idea. Nice, but not over the top. You dress too over the top & you'll look like a pair of brown shoes in a room full of tuxedos. 10 points to who said that line. I remember it on the Johnny Carson show as a kid & laughed my butt off.

Edited by rbtan
additions

5 minutes ago, rbtan said:

More stylish Italian type. Not formal just more stylish. Doesn't have to be Italian, just using that as an example. We do Oceania most often. Just read some of my posts & you'll get he idea. Nice, but not over the top. You dress too over the top & you'll look like a pair of brown shoes in a room full of tuxedos. 10 points to said that line. I remember it on the Johnny Carson show as a kid & laughed my butt off.

does that include black on black lace up leather athletic shoes for 'formal night' ?  ... as recommended by my podiatrist ?

Just now, voljeep said:

does that include black on black lace up leather athletic shoes for 'formal night' ?  ... as recommended by my podiatrist ?

Not sure. I'm not your podiatrist. You(and a few other well known pax)are known for your distaste in dressing up for formal nights. I'm not going to debate the merits of it either way! We don't do tuxes unless on Cunard(not since 2012) We no longer wear suits, but do bring along a sport coat in the outside chance we make it to a chef's dinner. We do longer cruises where pax mostly choose to  dress up more. It's still pretty much khaki pressed pants, nice Tommy B shirts & Timberland/Sperry shoes for us. We do plan more Princess cruises as we like the "Circle the Caribbean" type cruises they offer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

Oddly enough... Today's "formal attire" often includes athletic shoes. The "new look" is for suits to be accompanied by (good looking) athletic shoes. I never would have expected this to be a fashion trend but that's how things are today.

Note: I have never (yet) been on a cruise where I didn't seem men in tuxedos. I have never (yet) been on a cruise where those men were not admired.

If I thought my fat ass would stay one size for an extended period of time I'd just by a tux. As it is, I can't count on how fat I will be at any given time. All I can count on is that I will be fat - just now how fat. Sigh... When I was young I had decent biceps and a "reasonably" small waist. Now I can count on having puny biceps and an "unreasonably" large waist. (People used to call me when they needed a "strong" person to help out. That is sooooooooooooooooooo not the case these days.)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Shorts?  Once someone is sitting down and I don't have to look at them, don't care.

For most "formal" evenings, what one would wear to an inside wedding should be appropriate.