Dress Code

Alex71

Does Costa have formal / gala nights? If yes, what do people typically wear? I was thinking of bringing a light blue summer suit and wearing that with a white shirt and without tie. Would this be too informal?

Where are you sailing?  

In Europe the dress is different than in the Caribbean.    But generally Costa does get more Europeans that are better dressed than North Americans.   Rarely will you ever see a European man wearing shorts for instance, unless it is in the pool (then watch out for the speedo).

3 hours ago, Woody14 said:

Where are you sailing?  

In Europe the dress is different than in the Caribbean.    But generally Costa does get more Europeans that are better dressed than North Americans.   Rarely will you ever see a European man wearing shorts for instance, unless it is in the pool (then watch out for the speedo).

Thanks, yes, this is a Western Med cruise out of Savona. I've used MSC, where one could pretty much wear what one wanted, including jeans on gala nights and I've cruised Aida, which is a sister brand of Costa and which is very informal. I think on the regular nights, I should be ok with chinos and a shirt. I'm just unsure about the gala night. Don't mind wearing a dark suit and tie, but don't want to be overdressed either.

I don't own a speedo, BTW. 😉

11 hours ago, Alex71 said:

Thanks, yes, this is a Western Med cruise out of Savona. I've used MSC, where one could pretty much wear what one wanted, including jeans on gala nights and I've cruised Aida, which is a sister brand of Costa and which is very informal. I think on the regular nights, I should be ok with chinos and a shirt. I'm just unsure about the gala night. Don't mind wearing a dark suit and tie, but don't want to be overdressed either.

I don't own a speedo, BTW. 😉

After three costa cruises I can say that the formal/gala night has become more casual each year.  The Italians are a bit glitzy so you will see more formal stuff on cruises that leave from Italy.  I cruised 2019 with more than 1000 Aussies onboard and they wore what they liked all the time.  I even saw shorts and tshirts on gala night - as well as a very drunk scotsman in a very untidy kilt with his belly hanging out.  Be yourself and be comfortable.  You will fit in at any end of the spectrum lol.   P>S> you will get more free cocktails on Gala night if you are dressed up.  The waiters tend to make a bee line for you.

6 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

After three costa cruises I can say that the formal/gala night has become more casual each year.  The Italians are a bit glitzy so you will see more formal stuff on cruises that leave from Italy.  I cruised 2019 with more than 1000 Aussies onboard and they wore what they liked all the time.  I even saw shorts and tshirts on gala night - as well as a very drunk scotsman in a very untidy kilt with his belly hanging out.  Be yourself and be comfortable.  You will fit in at any end of the spectrum lol.   P>S> you will get more free cocktails on Gala night if you are dressed up.  The waiters tend to make a bee line for you.

Great, thank you very much! We go have a drink package included in our fare so don't necessarily have to rely on the free cocktails, but it will be nice to dress up a bit after working from home for two years. 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

You might have a read of this - formal/gala has turned into Elegant night much like MSC do. It says long pants and shirt. This info is directly from the Costa website https://www.costacruises.com/activity-types/service/dressing.html

Thank you, according to this, a suit would not be needed at all. I might just bring one, just in case. They also mention a white night. I guess a white shirt will be sufficient?

Edited by Alex71

1 hour ago, Alex71 said:

Thank you, according to this, a suit would not be needed at all. I might just bring one, just in case. They also mention a white night. I guess a white shirt will be sufficient?

White night party starts at about 10pm (or did last couple of cruises) I'm ready for bed by then.  I'm up with the larks and like to watch us sail into port - I'm usually scrounging for early bird breakfast at 5.30 / 6am.  So I cant say that I have attended a white party yet.  Last cruise I dressed in white for early dinner 6pm and was the only one making a mess of my white clothes.  I had every intention of going but still headed for bed before it started.

1 hour ago, Janet&Carl said:

White night party starts at about 10pm (or did last couple of cruises) I'm ready for bed by then.  I'm up with the larks and like to watch us sail into port - I'm usually scrounging for early bird breakfast at 5.30 / 6am.  So I cant say that I have attended a white party yet.  Last cruise I dressed in white for early dinner 6pm and was the only one making a mess of my white clothes.  I had every intention of going but still headed for bed before it started.

Thank you for the clarification. I was under the impression that the white party was the theme for one of the dinners. Good to know it is just a party later in the night. Should not be a problem to stay away from it then.

• 3 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 5:48 PM, Alex71 said:

Does Costa have formal / gala nights? If yes, what do people typically wear? I was thinking of bringing a light blue summer suit and wearing that with a white shirt and without tie. Would this be too informal?

I've cruised Costa a few times and honestly, anything goes as long as you wear long pants for men.  You will see people in jeans to evening gowns.  It's eclectic.  

Depends which ship to a certain extent. Firenze last October people generally wore whatever they wanted. Diademq very few dress up. Delisioza most dressed up. But generally for men suits with or without ties seemed to be ok. Facinosa and favulosa were on the smarter side as was Luminosa and Serna