No independent exploring

silversurf

On 3/31/2022 at 3:03 PM, Windsurfboy said:

For the rest of us , then if we are fully  vaccinated  covid is a risk we have to live with even on a cruise. Not pleasant but neither is the flu . Saga will have to live with some covid on board, if they keep all these restrictions up who in their right mind would want to cruise

I do agree with you. Covid will be with us for ever it seems, and given its transmissibility it will be just about impossible to ensure that a cruise ship is, and remains, covid-free. The Government's view is that we just have to live with it, and the cruise industry will have to take the same view. The most important point is how many people become seriously ill. According to the ONS, 40% of those who test positive are asymptomatic, and so would be completely unaware that they had covid were they not tested. I'd love to know the percentages of those having mild symptoms (say, like having a bit of a cold) and those with more serious illnesses among those fully vaccinated - does anyone have those figures? 

So, yes, it is a risk we'll have to live with, and if one is at greater risk (such as my OH) then cruising (and flying, going into crowded areas, and so on) should perhaps be avoided. The cruise industry will have problems if it has to keep curtailing cruises, prevent independent visits in ports, and insist on mask wearing aboard. As you say, who would want to cruise?

On 3/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Denarius said:

I am currently on SofA. The decision to ban independent exploration was sprung on us after we had embarked on tuesday. It is a Saga decision not a requirement of the ports to be visited, P&O visiting the same ports still allow people to go ashore independently. We have all been given a letter from Sagas CE invoking rising infections in the UK (!) as the reason for the change; surely what matters is the rate of infection in the ports visited! Needless to say many people onboard are not impressed and think that Saga have over reacted.

For the benefit of anyone who has not already seen it, this is the letter from the CE of Saga announcing the change in policy

DEEAC72F-2D05-452A-B3B9-BCF9AE88FD39.jpeg

All the measures in letter except  no independent excursions will reduce covid on hoard.

Forcing people who want to see the port into crowded buses rather tan wandering on own will increase it.  Unless the buses are only 1/3rd full and windows open.

We are on S o D now. Set off from Southampton yesterday. Two lockdowns today,one mid morning for 2 hours and one this afternoon for 4hours while infected passengers and crew are relocated into quarantine. Evening meal served at 8pm.

Crew are carrying on with first class service with reduced numbers. Everyone on ship to have lft test tomorrow then again on 4th. 

Captain said numbers where surprising but they have not been quantified.

Someone has posted the following link to a Spanish Government document on the P and O cruises UK section of the boards.  Looks like information those on board Adventure and Discovery would find useful.

https://www.sanidad.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/sanidadExterior/docs/Health_Measures_for_the_restoration_of_Cruise_Ship_Activities_in_Spain.pdf

and here is an extract they also posted: QUOTE:

"If, upon arrival at a Spanish port, 3.5% or more of those on board (crew and passengers) are reported as Covid-19 cases, only those cases and passengers who end the cruise at that port will be allowed to disembark; under no circumstances shall passengers be allowed to disembark for tourism or other reasons. Crew members may only disembark for essential reasons. Authority may be given for patients' close family members to be allowed off the boat. Passengers joining a cruise may also be given authority to board." and...

"Allocated areas to isolate cases that do not require medical attention. As part of this, at least 5% of the maximum capacity must be reserved for possible isolation."

best to everyone on board, hope you're managing to enjoy the ships despite restrictions. 

Presumably  Saga and all cruise lines know the above rules for Spain and other countries. 

I would think they would share this information with passengers, and honestly say upfront we may just have to skip these ports and go to alternative countries with less demanding restrictions,  this is a risk we must BOTH take. A bit of communication and honesty upfront generates all the goodwill you need

• Like 1

We received a letter from Saga this morning re our cruise on the Spirit of Adventure starting on the 13th of April. Very disappointing re no independent shore excursions, What is the point of a cruise to interesting locations if you can't get off the ship unless you accept a shore excursion which is going to cost you money unless you can get on one of their no charge excursions. Neither might be what you want to do anyway. Am thinking to see if we cancel can we get refund - we have Saga insurance !! Don't want to do that, especially as we originally booked the cruise 2 years ago when it was cancelled due to Covid !! Not happy !!!

1 minute ago, teddyholt said:

We received a letter from Saga this morning re our cruise on the Spirit of Adventure starting on the 13th of April. Very disappointing re no independent shore excursions, What is the point of a cruise to interesting locations if you can't get off the ship unless you accept a shore excursion which is going to cost you money unless you can get on one of their no charge excursions. Neither might be what you want to do anyway. Am thinking to see if we cancel can we get refund - we have Saga insurance !! Don't want to do that, especially as we originally booked the cruise 2 years ago when it was cancelled due to Covid !! Not happy !!!

Thanks for keeping people updated , let everyone know if Saga say it's  cause for a refund , or move to a later  cruise in the hope things get better.

As I said  we are lucky we have "love it" option as first time Saga cruisers.  Something reluctant to use but better than a month of not being able to see ports as we like, which always includes time on foot.

I think such descisions by Saga or indeed any cruise company, should be taken and passengers notified, before final balances are due. This would mean as a result final balances due much later than is the current practice.

obviously that would have a cash flow issue for the company.

We are on SoA on the 24th April. If I could without penalty, I would cancel.

Looks like this will be my first and last Saga cruise.

2 hours ago, Alsagman said:

I think such descisions by Saga or indeed any cruise company, should be taken and passengers notified, before final balances are due. This would mean as a result final balances due much later than is the current practice.

I do agree…and am very thankful at the moment  that we have not booked with SAGA, despite seriously thinking about it. Whilst I can appreciate things can change in the Pandemic world, frequent 2-4 hour lockdowns on board, and no freedom to explore ashore would not be a holiday at all for us. 

• Like 1

There have been some changes to catering to match the much reduced crew numbers. The club steak house speciality is closed until further notice. 

The main dining room has changed to a get it yourself from a central island rather like the lido for breakfast and lunch. 

Formal night tonight has been changed to casual formal whatever that means.

All ports now have a free short excursion included so that's a nice touch.

Everyone had an lft test today with results phoned through to cabin.

No lockdowns today!!

Spoke too soon code Quebec  so all crew and passengers back on lockdown. As it affects crew all preparations in galley stops so knock on effects are long lasting. 

Jóols Holland show was delayed until 10.30 pm yesterday but was well worth waiting for, Jóols and his singers were excellent

3 hours ago, Alsagman said:

If this is your first Saga  cruise if worst comes to worst you can use the "love it" clause and get them to return you from first port , full refund and they pay to get you home, you just need to tell them in first 72hrs that you don't love it

1 hour ago, stephenSJ said:

There have been some changes to catering to match the much reduced crew numbers. The club steak house speciality is closed until further notice. 

The main dining room has changed to a get it yourself from a central island rather like the lido for breakfast and lunch. 

No lockdowns today!!

46 minutes ago, stephenSJ said:

Spoke too soon code Quebec  so all crew and passengers back on lockdown. As it affects crew all preparations in galley stops so knock on effects are long lasting. 

Jóols Holland show was delayed until 10.30 pm yesterday but was well worth waiting for, Jóols and his singers were excellent

If this is still going on when I board, if they won't let me cancel beforehand, I will use this clause. £30,000 is way to much to spend half time in cabin, and a buffet instead of proper service. Although have sympathy for Saga, its not what i paid for.

• Like 2

We have too many COVID cases to make our scheduled stop in Lisbon tomorrow so we have a seaday then a call at Malaga.

The level of sickness in housekeeping means that evening cabin service has been halted. 

Those crew left are working twice as hard to keep the show on the road and are still as cheerful as ever.

The crew must be working hard.

However its hard to believe  covid will be under 3.5% by the time the ship gets to Malaga unless there's 100% quarantine,  and that's no fun. 

Are there any countries with more relaxed  covid cruise ship rules

13 hours ago, stephenSJ said:

We have too many COVID cases to make our scheduled stop in Lisbon tomorrow so we have a seaday then a call at Malaga.

The level of sickness in housekeeping means that evening cabin service has been halted. 

Those crew left are working twice as hard to keep the show on the road and are still as cheerful as ever.

Thanks for your reports. Those poor staff - they’re amazing.

Sorry it’s not going as well as it should be, but hopefully things will improve. The rates are so high in the UK now it’s no surprise that it’s transferring onto cruise ships. The messaging was that it was all over, it isn’t of course, but it’s spreading like wildfire as a result.

Unless it’s the new XE variant that’s already in the UK.

19 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

If this is your first Saga  cruise if worst comes to worst you can use the "love it" clause and get them to return you from first port , full refund and they pay to get you home, you just need to tell them in first 72hrs that you don't love it

If this is still going on when I board, if they won't let me cancel beforehand, I will use this clause. £30,000 is way to much to spend half time in cabin, and a buffet instead of proper service. Although have sympathy for Saga, its not what i paid for.

Has anyone managed to use the "love it" clause onboard  a Saga cruise, it says subject to terms and conditions but doesn't elaborate what those T&C's are.

20 hours ago, stephenSJ said:

No lockdowns today!!

Which ship?

44 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

Has anyone managed to use the "love it" clause onboard  a Saga cruise, it says subject to terms and conditions but doesn't elaborate what those T&C's are.

Just reading this in brochure. 

As you say , it says we guarantee you will love your first cruise or we will refund your fare, and cover cost of your return transportation. 

Conditions,  it must be your first ever Saga cruise, secondly must tell hotel director in first 72hrs. 

There will be endeavour to resolve issues. However only you can say you "love it". 

The last line says "further terms and conditions may apply". On the web it also says this doesn't apply  if you want to return due to "force majeure " conditions as stated in Saga standard conditions.  However when I search Saga standard ocean cruise conditions  (pdf on web) force majeure can't be found in it. Force majeure means things outside Saga control,  so not being able to enter port because of say Spanish rules is Force Majeure.  Only going on Saga excursions is a Saga self imposed rule , not force majeure. 

From my experience ( but I'm not a lawyer) other un-written , undefined,  further conditions, not in the brochure or on website have no standing. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alsagman said:

Which ship?

Spirit of Discovery.

Currently all passengers and crew are back on lockdown in our cabins. Some good news in that our cabin steward has been released from isolation and is back with us. Yesterday lockdown was under an hour.