04/15 Pearl Boston to Bermuda itinerary changed

styles27

On 4/7/2022 at 9:49 PM, mking8288 said:

Hmmm, interesting last minute change - most of the NY's sailing out to Bermuda this / next month are making a stop at Norfolk (Virginia Beach) VA on the way out to Dockyard instead of Day 2 being an easy going day at sea. 

Since the Pearl is en route back to Beantown & stopping at BH first, which is a #cough #cough - tender port, that's fun by itself, although with likely reduced occupancies, shouldn't be too bad.  That probably, translate into, waiting for US-CBP to come onboard & process everyone - before being permitted to join the queue for the tenders (immigration & customs).

Happy cruising !! 

What does tenders mean??

sorry new to cruising 😬😂

2 minutes ago, Flamingo26 said:

What does tenders mean??

sorry new to cruising 😬😂

you abandon the ship using the lifeboats that take you to shore

In reality, the ship drops anchor a few miles off shore and then you take a ferry boat to shore

25 minutes ago, Flamingo26 said:

I am also super nervous that I am doing the Covid testing requirements correctly. I have called NCL twice and got two different answers 😳 

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but my understanding is this NCL will accept a PCR test that's done 4 days in advance BUT  Bermuda will only accept a test 2 days before.  So if you do a proctored antigen test on Wednesday for a Fri departure it satisfies both NCL and Bermuda, no need for 2 tests.  For Bermuda you need to fill out the Bermuda Travel Authorization Form which you can do in advance of taking the test and they will send a reminder 4 days in advance that you need to test along with a link back to you TA form where you will upload the tests results for final approval.  

I filled out and summited our  TA forms last week to Bermuda. We will take a proctored antigen test on Wed and upload the results.  

I'm sure if I missed something someone will 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, shof515 said:

you abandon the ship using the lifeboats that take you to shore

In reality, the ship drops anchor a few miles off shore and then you take a ferry boat to shore

That does not sound pleasant.  Is that really what they do on the cruise ship?!  In freezing cold Maine???

Edited by Flamingo26
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, jimsig said:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but my understanding is this NCL will accept a PCR test that's done 4 days in advance BUT  Bermuda will only accept a test 2 days before.  So if you do a proctored antigen test on Wednesday for a Fri departure it satisfies both NCL and Bermuda, no need for 2 tests.  For Bermuda you need to fill out the Bermuda Travel Authorization Form which you can do in advance of taking the test and they will send a reminder 4 days in advance that you need to test along with a link back to you TA form where you will upload the tests results for final approval.  

I filled out and summited our  TA forms last week to Bermuda. We will take a proctored antigen test on Wed and upload the results.  

I'm sure if I missed something someone will 

I have a rapid antigen on Wednesday.  I called NCL twice and yesterday the person told me I should do a pcr to submit to the Bermuda site for the 4 day requirement but then also do the antigen 2 days before for the NCL.   They also said you get ANOTHER test before boarding???   I’m so confused because the email I got from NCL said two days and antigen test but when you go to the Bermuda site it says slightly different info.  I just want to make sure I do it all right

31 minutes ago, Flamingo26 said:

I have a rapid antigen on Wednesday.  I called NCL twice and yesterday the person told me I should do a pcr to submit to the Bermuda site for the 4 day requirement but then also do the antigen 2 days before for the NCL.   They also said you get ANOTHER test before boarding???   I’m so confused because the email I got from NCL said two days and antigen test but when you go to the Bermuda site it says slightly different info.  I just want to make sure I do it all right

I may be wrong on Bermuda only accepting an antigen test 2 days out (they may also accept a PCR 4 days out) but no need to take 2 tests.  If you are fully vaxed they will accept an antigen 2 day prior and NCL will accept that as well.

NCL reps are dealing with so many different countries they may be getting confused with who accepts what and when.  Even for Bermuda there are different requirements for different trips.  For example there is NYC- Bermuda trip that makes a stop in Norfolk before Bermuda.  Those passengers have to take a pre-cruise test and then will be tested on board before arrival in Bermuda.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flamingo26 said:

That does not sound pleasant.  Is that really what they do on the cruise ship?!  In freezing cold Maine???

there is no pier for the ships to dock at. tendering is the only option to get to land

• Thanks 1

Good Morning Cruisers...

@Flamingo26 or anyone else for that matter....

Below is from the Bermuda Government website

Make reservations | Bookings powered by resQwest.com (www.gov.bm)

We are on a May sailing for this itinerary, and are planning on doing the proctored antigen test on Wednesday for our Friday embark.  This will satisfy both the Bermuda and NCL requirements.  As someone said earlier in this thread, I'm also hopeful the kinks will be worked out after the first few ships and the Bermuda Travel Authorizations are being turned around in a more timely manner.

And as far as the tendering question goes, it's not the greatest, but it's not like hopping on a bobbing dinghy either as they keep it fairly stable.  Assuming you're not mobility impaired it's not that difficult, it's just time consuming.

Passenger Category

Cruise voyage where Bermuda is the first port of call

Fully Vaccinated Cruise Ship Passengers

Travel Authorisation required. Application fee $40.

COVID-19 NAAT test (PCR, LAMP or TMA) up to 4 days before embarkation

OR

Supervised antigen up to 2 days before embarkation

Edited by Broons77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a totally different question to thread readers but you all seem to up to date on the pre-sailing testing I thought I'd ask. We are booked on the very last trip from Boston to Bermuda in November.

We are doing a back to back: 11-4 to 11-11 and then 11-11-11-15. Somehow that little 4 day add-on seemed just right as a winter prep.

Anyhow, now I'm wondering what happens on a back to back? Do we pay the $40 pp to Bermuda twice? How do we handle the testing requirement?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Have done pre-pandemic back to backs and some lines had to actually leave the ship and reboard while some let you stay onboard.

Happy to hear anything if anyone does a Bermuda back to back between now and November.

margretha

16 hours ago, Flamingo26 said:

I have been on a Canada New England cruise that tendered in Bar Harbor.

First off the ship does NOT anchor a “few miles from port” like someone suggested. 
The ship drops anchor within view of the pier and they use the life boats to take us into port.

It’s less than a 3 min ride and very safe and calm in the harbor. 
We’ll be fine. It’s about 40-50 deg at the moment in Bar Harbor we won’t freeze. Bring a jacket like you’ll need in Boston anyway. Bar Harbor is a beautiful port I’m very happy that they’ve added this instead of two full days at sea back to back. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, margretha said:

This is a totally different question to thread readers but you all seem to up to date on the pre-sailing testing I thought I'd ask. We are booked on the very last trip from Boston to Bermuda in November.

We are doing a back to back: 11-4 to 11-11 and then 11-11-11-15. Somehow that little 4 day add-on seemed just right as a winter prep.

Anyhow, now I'm wondering what happens on a back to back? Do we pay the $40 pp to Bermuda twice? How do we handle the testing requirement?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Have done pre-pandemic back to backs and some lines had to actually leave the ship and reboard while some let you stay onboard.

Happy to hear anything if anyone does a Bermuda back to back between now and November.

margretha

Based on how Bermuda handled B2Bs last year you will need a new travel authorization, pay the $40 fee, again and a get new test for the second cruise. Last year the cruise lines did the extra testing on board. This question isn't addressed on Bermuda's website and we'll have to hear back from someone who has actually done a B2B this year to confirm if that requirement remains in place.

As far as B2Bs in general, yes, in US ports for a number of years CBP rules require that everyone disembark the ship at the turnaround port, and you are only permitted to re board  after the ship has a zero count of passengers and DHS gives clearance for boarding of the new cruise to commence. Rare exceptions have occurred in ports that may not have sufficient facilities to process the B2Bpassengers in the cruise terminal and in those rare cases CBP agents have come aboard and processed the B2B passengers on the ship in a lounge set aside for that purpose .

Currently on the pearl in Bermuda. For covid testing, for fully vaccinated, an antigen is fine 2 days before sailing. I did a video proctored test, weird to have someone watch you stick a qtip up your nose, and sent the info to Bermuda around 10. Got my approval that evening. Used the same test to get onboard. Before being allowed into the building, there was someone checking for your paperwork and giving you a green sticker if you had everything, or a yellow if not. Yellows we're pulled from the security line to go to a separate area. 

We found it on ship that we are doing at bar harbor, with a lot of us asking why.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Currently on the pearl in Bermuda. For covid testing, for fully vaccinated, an antigen is fine 2 days before sailing. I did a video proctored test, weird to have someone watch you stick a qtip up your nose, and sent the info to Bermuda around 10. Got my approval that evening. Used the same test to get onboard. Before being allowed into the building, there was someone checking for your paperwork and giving you a green sticker if you had everything, or a yellow if not. Yellows we're pulled from the security line to go to a separate area. 

We found it on ship that we are doing at bar harbor, with a lot of us asking why.

Thanks for checking in. How many passengers are on your cruise? How’s the weather in Bermuda?

18 hours ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

My question is probably unanswerable (is that a word?🤣🤣) . Why? Why are we going to Bar Harbor? What happened that made the change? NCL? CDC? It certainly isn’t a good swap☹️

I was surprised to see this change, but I am not opposed to it. Swapping a sea day with a port day. You can stay on the ship if you want to, or if you are personally unable to get on the tender. Not really losing time in Bermuda. That was the first thing I checked. 

We tendered at Bar Harbor before when we stopped there on a Royal Caribbean ship.DSCF0664.thumb.JPG.bbb295ede544f43bd43d7d67be14daa8.JPG They used some different boats for tendering. On the ride back to the ship, our tender was a boat that took people on tours to learn about and fish for lobsters. They gave a quick lesson on lobsters, including showing a live lobster. We never experienced that kind of thing on a tender before. Being from New England, all that did was make me hungry! It was funny to see the reactions of the people that had never seen a Maine lobster before. It was still a pretty quick tender ride. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

The ship is about half full. Though I seem to be enjoying the more crowded areas. Weather up warm, but windy. During the sea day, the outside decks were closed.

Do you have to wear masks in Boston at the cruise terminal? How about in Bermuda?

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

In terms of why bar harbor, no one here knows, at least from a guest standpoint. It definitely sounds like most people planning to stay aboard.

That’s a shame as Bar Harbor is a beautiful port. The town is right there when you get off the ship and very walkable. Shops and restaurants will be open according to the research I’ve been doing.
The ride up Cadillac Mountain is a nice excursion with great views at the top. Today it’s 57 degrees in Bar Harbor, same as where I live in RI…definitely not freezing. 
I also noticed on our updated paperwork that came through today that it says “docked” in Bar Harbor not tendered. 
Maybe Pearl is small enough to dock? Not sure. 
The Princess ship we were on at that port was about 1 1/2 times the size of Pearl and had to tender so it’s possible Pearl won’t have to. 

09FA4792-B2FA-409E-AB03-6F512373D927.jpeg

Edited by styles27
  • Like 1