Arcadia cancellations!

jeanlyon

3 hours ago, Monorail Orange said:

Here's an idea that struck me today for P&O (that is 100% wishful thinking and with some levity).

As they are moving toward 'family-friendly' mega-ships, why not spin off the older smaller ships into an adult only brand. "P&O Classic" if you like.

OK, admittedly you've only got Arcadia and Aurora at the moment - but imagine this back in the days when Oriana and Oceana (even Artemis) were in service. You get the gist.

That way, in theory, everyones happy. Those of us who want a medium sized ship with an older style of cruise will have their own niche, and the ones that want the big informal style cruise will also be catered for.

I will reiterate, its not going to happen, but I can wish can't I? 😂

A number of us on this board have suggested the same thing - P&O Classic and P&O Contemporary. I suspect it is now too late to think about such a move, especially with only two Classic ships left which maybe have a relatively short shelf-life...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Pity she is so huge 😞

And the other drawback for me (and maybe you too Jean) is that apart from Coral & Island Princess, almost all the Princess ships lack a Promenade - like Britannia.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Britboys said:

And the other drawback for me (and maybe you too Jean) is that apart from Coral & Island Princess, almost all the Princess ships lack a Promenade - like Britannia.

No that’s wrong Grand class ships have a promenade that you can walk round and sit out on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

I thought they were Britannia size and not Iona size so not really huge. However, if you consider Britannia huge then fair point.

They have 4 Britannia size ships with one normally UK based (2 this year) then they tend to have a Grand Class (Ventura Azura, with prom,etc... Nice mix of new and classic in my opinion) plus either Island or Coral. 

24 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

No that’s wrong Grand class ships have a promenade that you can walk round and sit out on. 

Yes, very true thanks - but of late they mainly deploy Royal Class ships ex UK and I was thinking specifically of Jean Lyon, who cruises ex-uk. Although I do see that Emerald is also ex-Southampton this year.

Edited by Britboys

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Yes, very true thanks - but of late they mainly deploy Royal Class ships ex UK and I was thinking specifically of Jean Lyon, who cruises ex-uk. Although I do see that Emerald is also ex-Southampton this year.

Don't think those are for us Andrew.  Ambassador might be a possibility, but we had such a lovely driving holiday (or two) that I don't think I much care at the moment and I'm sure one of the smaller ships will go.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Royal and Regal Princess are same as Britannia, but have more cabins so feel more crowded.

Royal and Regal (and Majestic) have 1780 cabins and carry 3,560 pax.

Britannia has 1837 cabins and carries 3,647 pax.

Sky, Enchanted and Discovery have 1830 cabins and carry 3,660 pax.

• Thanks 1

We travelled recently on Sky Princess and we both said that in some ways it made us think of a more glitzy Britannia.  We were on the Britannia maiden voyage and have never been tempted to go on her again but would be happy to go back on Sky Princess because of the "can do" attitude of the staff which seems to be missing on P&O ships.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Must have put more cabins on Britannia then since I was on her a few years ago. Do not remember Royal having a Crows Nest either. Love the one on Britannia.

Don't recall any extra cabins being fitted but....

Totally agree about having a Crows Nest. I have always loved them - especially on Oriana and Aurora. Sadly, Princess don't seem to have built ships with a top/forward observation bar since the original Crown and Regal in the early 90's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Don't recall any extra cabins being fitted but....

Totally agree about having a Crows Nest. I have always loved them - especially on Oriana and Aurora. Sadly, Princess don't seem to have built ships with a top/forward observation bar since the original Crown and Regal in the early 90's.

Just as the absence of a promenade deck on Britannia is a design flaw IMHO, so is the lack of a Crows Nest on Ventura and Azura. Whoever decided that it was better to give the prime outlook from the ship to the gym & spa needs their head examining! 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just as the absence of a promenade deck on Britannia is a design flaw IMHO, so is the lack of a Crows Nest on Ventura and Azura. Whoever decided that it was better to give the prime outlook from the ship to the gym & spa needs their head examining! 

Couldn't agree more. Very odd idea. Who likes people walking pass them when doing a workout (why you would do a work out on holiday is another question 😂) atleast they have a Prom deck and a good one at that. Personally Ventura's prom is my favorite. 

22 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Couldn;t agree more.  We love the Crows Nest in the evening and also in the day if the weather is inclement.   Another reason we didn't like Azura.

Couldn't agree more, Ventura's is even more uninspiring, atleast Azura has a nice theme to it(which we liked) 

5 hours ago, AuroraCruiser08 said:

Couldn't agree more, Ventura's is even more uninspiring, atleast Azura has a nice theme to it(which we liked) 

We have been on Azura twice, enjoyed our experience both times, unlike the Britannia which we disliked fortunately only on it for a 3 day cruise, we found it too big, no prom deck to walk around and the poor lift arrangements. 

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I guess it is often down to the fact that to a large degree the ships are 'off the peg' and there is little chance to make significant changes to customise them. Prior to Iona, the last three ships allocated to P&O by Carnival have been on Princess Platforms that don't have that forward observation bar/lounge.

7 hours ago, Britboys said:

I guess it is often down to the fact that to a large degree the ships are 'off the peg' and there is little chance to make significant changes to customise them. Prior to Iona, the last three ships allocated to P&O by Carnival have been on Princess Platforms that don't have that forward observation bar/lounge.

Yes but they adapted Britannia to have a Crowd Nest. Unfortunately they didn’t have the larger balconies mid deck so all balconies on Britannia are small along the side. 

• Like 1

We are booked on J214 originally a Baltic cruise departing 2nd August for 16 nights with overnight in St Petersburg. Obviously this has now changed itinerary wise. Received an email from P & O today giving us a thank you £200 obc valid for this cruise only. Its a very nice gesture and much appreciated but I'm not sure what to make of it all? Any thoughts??

A few hours later we received the gentle reminder about the balance being due in a few weeks!!!!!! 

36 minutes ago, Peppers mum said:

We are booked on J214 originally a Baltic cruise departing 2nd August for 16 nights with overnight in St Petersburg. Obviously this has now changed itinerary wise. Received an email from P & O today giving us a thank you £200 obc valid for this cruise only. Its a very nice gesture and much appreciated but I'm not sure what to make of it all? Any thoughts??

A few hours later we received the gentle reminder about the balance being due in a few weeks!!!!!! 

Sounds  very generous to me.

44 minutes ago, Peppers mum said:

Probably anticipating compensation claims as the itinerary has changed significantly.  T&Cs say 5% cruise credit should be applied  so may as well make it look like a generous gesture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peppers mum said:

That's interesting. I wonder whether there is something special about your Baltic cruise because we also have lost 2 days at St Petersburg on a July 16 nights Baltic cruise sailing on Aurora but received no compensation, just another port instead.

Any thoughts anyone?

Edited by bbtablet