The Daily for Saturday 04/09/2022

richwmn

Today is Name Yourself Day, Winston Churchill Day, and National Unicorn Day

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.--Joan Powers, Pooh's Little Instruction Book

Meal Suggestion for today - Khao soi
Drink of the Day - Black Cherry Avalanche
Wine of the Day - Viña Casablanca 2020 Céfiro Cool Reserve Pinot N
Destination of the Day - Stanley/Falkland Is/Islas Malvinas,

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/10
Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 4/10

Half Moon Cay

Rotterdam   08:00 - 15:00

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Nieuw Statendam  

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera

Zuiderdam   08:00 -

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada

Koningsdam   14:00 - 22:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Los Angeles, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0409World.thumb.png.248ad3a893ec188d10110985b8183539.png
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Winston Churchill was one of the great leaders of the last century.  I'll call the other 2 days interesting.  Love the powers quote.  My current avitar photo is from the Falklands.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is: Chilled Rhubarb Soup and Farmers Choice Salad as served on MS Amsterdam April 9, 2014.  I assume the salad was quite substantial.  Nieuw Statendam should be leaving Everglades shortly (in fact I may have just heard a departure toot)

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Luvteaching DH recovering from stroke
Jam37 DH not feeling well and reluctant to follow directions
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Anniversaries for Erewhon, Overhead Fred, luvteaching and ger_77
Happy birthday luvteaching
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
Best photo yet of Baby Camila
Improvement in Jen’s hearing
Good eye report for JazzyV
2 days for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)
Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10), GTVCRUISER and Tioga Cruiser (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13), Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS  to 4/15) and Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17)  at sea
Welcome home Vict0riann
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.

It is currently 5°C and sunny here at 11.45am.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Interesting days.

It must be fantastic to live to 100 for today's quote.

I will give today's food and drink and wine a miss.

Never been to today's port so interesting to see photos.

Prayers for everyone who need them.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend and looking forward to Easter.

Screenshot_20220409_113726.jpg

Screenshot_20220409_113634.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Winston Churchill was one of the great leaders of the last century.  I'll call the other 2 days interesting.  Love the powers quote.  My current avitar photo is from the Falklands.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is: Chilled Rhubarb Soup and Farmers Choice Salad as served on MS Amsterdam April 9, 2014.  I assume the salad was quite substantial.  Nieuw Statendam should be leaving Everglades shortly (in fact I may have just heard a departure toot)

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Luvteaching DH recovering from stroke
Jam37 DH not feeling well and reluctant to follow directions
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Ukraine
Jen slow recovery from fall
Welfare of furloughed crews

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A new mission for Volendam
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Anniversaries for Erewhon, Overhead Fred, luvteaching and ger_77
Happy birthday luvteaching
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
Best photo yet of Baby Camila
Improvement in Jen’s hearing
Good eye report for JazzyV
2 days for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)
Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10), GTVCRUISER and Tioga Cruiser (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13), Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS  to 4/15) and Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17)  at sea
Welcome home Vict0riann
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  I don't want to name myself, the one my parents gave me is okay.  Winston Churchill was the right man at the right time.  Not a fan of unicorns, except that song by the Irish Rovers was amusing.

Love the quote.

Not sure what to make of the meal suggestion, I'll wait until I see the recipe and pictures.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

It's zero degrees here now, and we had a bit of snow overnight, flurries in the forecast.  Spring may arrive next week.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days again.  I named myself long ago when I shortened my name and refused to be called  by my given one 😉   Only 2 people were permitted to use it - my father and Jose.  I admire Winston Churchill and adore unicorns.

032852A0-BE71-4701-8D0F-E9D2D73B4F74.jpeg.8568eb0a45f6f8868983ff43ecf58781.jpeg

Love the quote by Powers !  Sadly Falkland Islands was not meant to be for us.  The seas were too rough and tendering was impossible that day.  We were so looking forward to our visit there and the penguins.

The first cruise ship is docking in British Columbia today for the first time in over two years.  It is the Koningsdam 🙂 

@erewhon  A belated happy 44th anniversary to you both

923C90AA-8DED-4B39-8BA9-F4054F270593.jpeg.f8b5be700e91b92129fb18f5a11ce4d0.jpeg

@msmayor  So good to hear you can see changes in your DD already 👍 Bless you for coming to her aid and prayers for you both 🙏🏻 

4F7462D2-2C73-4B7F-90AC-7FE60F0A4E10.thumb.jpeg.d457d42df28e13cdd4cfb2194997fee6.jpeg

@luvteaching

I hope my memory hasn’t failed me 🤞 A very happy birthday to you!

C631894E-50C9-4B4C-9A6F-92248F111F28.jpeg.9cefa32e7ec7002c46585bc78e108666.jpeg

@Seaviewer  I hope and pray that the doctors have resolved your DH’s possible heart attack 🙏🏻 

A rainy day here but I’m turning into what used to the post office regarding the hospital …Neither rain, nor snow nor sleet will stop me (ok a bad ‘Nor Easter does 😉).  

Leaving early today as I really need a cheaper cell phone package & a new phone.  Costco has some deals on so if it is not too busy when I get there, I’m going to stop in before the hospital.

EDE64EFA-EE1B-4BA3-AD58-DBCCDB77197D.jpeg.12d36aa139959950d072715c25577f59.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!!

6BC91B06-C09E-479F-938B-00D8E06E5BD1.thumb.jpeg.6184af6dc7a53ec3808803309df37deb.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 40
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3

Thanks Rich for your Daily post. Hopefully, will soon see the entire fleet actively sailing with guest. As far as the Falklands go we are one of the statistical many cruisers that didn’t make it there. At the time it was more political then weather!

The Masters has pretty much taken up most of my time in the past couple of days and being idle is probably needed for my strained back to heal.

It’s a cool 44 degrees out there this morning and is forecasted not to get higher then 67. I’m ready for warmer weather and I’m sure some of you from up North will laugh at that.

Continued prayers for those on the Care list and may all of you have a great weekend.

• Like 31

Stanley in the Falklands is certainly one of the more unusual ports.  I was there on the Zaandam in 2015.  We had very strong winds after leaving Buenos Aires, and the Captain advised us it may not be possible to tender at Stanley. We were fortunate that it was indeed possible.ship_76_76_halvolendam_ipad_960x720.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A cool start to what looks to be a gorgeous, but windy day. Local museum’s annual fundraiser is this afternoon on the town fishing pier. It will be interesting to see how they handle 25 mph winds with gusts up to

40 mph. They might have to reschedule. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites! Lots to get done this morning before heading out to the fundraiser.  Need to get a good long walk in with Bindi. 

Saturday smiles….

E60F5364-2E34-42BA-B7B0-9ED25D83988D.jpeg.3fe55266a2ea5794b07c55dccad34f07.jpeg

341EAD88-798B-4F23-9417-DC5265491B3D.jpeg.cfb19648901c40c2683128871ab9cdcb.jpeg

F32BB5D4-B84E-4E32-A5D1-BD76041CC911.jpeg.f2d9856521df7926fc62fd11b5debe4a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Ever on the hunt to find a Pinot Noir that I enjoy as much as Meiomi, I would give this Chilean wine a taste. Though the 2018 vintage has a description that includes blackberries, so I might prefer that year. But the 2020 vintage will be easier to find. A few online distributors with prices starting at $12.99.

Product description

Cefiro is an invitation to break away from our daily routine and do something different. It is known as a Cool Reserve wine because of its superior quality, and refreshing, attractive personality. A best value Pinot Noir, with an expressive nose full of red fruits and an elegant touch of violets. Balanced, fresh, and lively mouthfeel. A wine to be enjoyed while doing what you like best. Alc. 14.0% by Vol.

Food Pairing: Sushi and sashimi, fish, tartare, vegetable quiche, caprese salad, and beef carpaccio.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 10

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I’ll keep my name today, Mr. Churchill was a great man.  Unicorns don’t really mean anything to me but they do to some so for them I’m glad that they have their own day.  I like the quote today, very touching. Not sure what the meal suggestion is today, Thai perhaps?  The drink sounds interesting.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a ________ or _________ or even a ___________! 🎈

• Like 27

57 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days again.  I named myself long ago when I shortened my name and refused to be called  by my given one 😉   Only 2 people were permitted to use it - my father and Jose.  I admire Winston Churchill and adore unicorns.

032852A0-BE71-4701-8D0F-E9D2D73B4F74.jpeg.8568eb0a45f6f8868983ff43ecf58781.jpeg

Love the quote by Powers !  Sadly Falkland Islands was not meant to be for us.  The seas were too rough and tendering was impossible that day.  We were so looking forward to our visit there and the penguins.

The first cruise ship is docking in British Columbia today for the first time in over two years.  It is the Koningsdam 🙂 

@erewhon  A belated happy 44th anniversary to you both

923C90AA-8DED-4B39-8BA9-F4054F270593.jpeg.f8b5be700e91b92129fb18f5a11ce4d0.jpeg

@msmayor  So good to hear you can see changes in your DD already 👍 Bless you for coming to her aid and prayers for you both 🙏🏻 

4F7462D2-2C73-4B7F-90AC-7FE60F0A4E10.thumb.jpeg.d457d42df28e13cdd4cfb2194997fee6.jpeg

@luvteaching

I hope my memory hasn’t failed me 🤞 A very happy birthday to you!

C631894E-50C9-4B4C-9A6F-92248F111F28.jpeg.9cefa32e7ec7002c46585bc78e108666.jpeg

@Seaviewer  I hope and pray that the doctors have resolved your DH’s possible heart attack 🙏🏻 

A rainy day here but I’m turning into what used to the post office regarding the hospital …Neither rain, nor snow nor sleet will stop me (ok a bad ‘Nor Easter does 😉).  

Leaving early today as I really need a cheaper cell phone package & a new phone.  Costco has some deals on so if it is not too busy when I get there, I’m going to stop in before the hospital.

EDE64EFA-EE1B-4BA3-AD58-DBCCDB77197D.jpeg.12d36aa139959950d072715c25577f59.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!!

6BC91B06-C09E-479F-938B-00D8E06E5BD1.thumb.jpeg.6184af6dc7a53ec3808803309df37deb.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

Love your post and your meme's.

Graham.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from Barcelona.

Count us among those that did not make it to the Falklands.  We were on the Veendam repositioning cruise in April 2012 from Buenos Aires to New York.  When we arrived in Ushuaia after a day at sea rather than the Falklands, the Argentinians insisted we were in the Falklands and blocked us from leaving.  They kept us for an extra three hours insisting that the Captain sign a paper that HAL would never call at the Falklands again.  It was a Sunday and the Captain could not reach anyone in Seattle.  He finally modified the form to read that HAL would not call at the Falklands for the rest of the cruise season.  It was the last HAL ship to be sailing in South America in the 2012 season so he was safe.  So instead of leaving at 3pm as scheduled, the Argentinians finally released the ship at 6 pm.  We missed all the scenic cruising in the Beagle Channel due to darkness.

Hope everyone is well.  We are feeling a bit tired today.  Taking it easy.  Will go out later.

Prayers for all who need them and Cheers for those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

The Falklands are on my bucket list.  Seems like it is a port that is often missed because of weather.  Hope to see some of your pictures.

3A5E1FC6-F268-4853-9765-E9E99A387032.png.3ee0f00b5fa822a299e5c5c62ccf09da.png

Unicorns make me smile.

81DE4068-2022-4F87-B833-DEF48FB9A377.jpeg.53cc48199d1a14a0d1b4604d7e1bca0c.jpeg

Even the Easter bunny likes unicorns.3B050578-5782-4BE9-8110-27511D4BBF3F.jpeg.26a77d47cbe992ecf2fabd76cc5659e1.jpeg

Best wishes are all you are celebrating this weekend.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

Good Saturday morning.  I've named myself with a nickname when I was in college.  I still use it.  Only use "real" name for legal items.  Like the other two days too.  Great quote.  Have not been to today's destination.  Not sure what the meal is.

It's cold but bright sunshine here this morning.

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to those celebrating.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to use caution and wear your mask.

Black Cherry Avalanche:

Ingredients:
1 Part Cruzan Black Cherry Rum
1 Part Cherry Liqueur
Lime Wedges
Mint Sprig
Black Cherries
Directions:
Pack rocks glass with shaved ice. Slowly pour chilled spirits over the ice. Squeeze juice of lime on top. Garnish with sprig of mint and a black cherry.

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 8.36.58 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I named myself when I turned 18; I hated my first name, so had it legally changed from Geraldine to Gerry (with my parents blessing).  Winston Churchill was a  great leader and an interesting man.  

Well I'm happy to report that yesterday's recording session went well.  I did the narration for the historical documentary DH was producing, and although I was ensconced in this teeny tiny recording booth, my claustrophobia didn't kick in.  I only had to do two takes on a couple of sections, so we got through it quite quickly.  

First of all, let me wish @luvteaching a very Happy Birthday with many more returns of the day.  Then, I wish @luvteachingand her DH a Happy 45th Anniversary; I hope you and your DH are able to spend some quality time together as he recovers from his stroke.

@erewhonI'm not sure how I missed it, but please accept my belated wishes for a Happy Anniversary to the two of you!

Today is our special day; 45 years ago this morning I married the man of my dreams.  We're continuing our tradition of going to a restaurant in one of the large hotels for an anniversary brunch.  When we both worked, we always took the day off and sat at a table by the window, watching as others scurried off to get to their daily jobs, knowing we had the day to ourselves.   With the exception of the 2 anniversaries we were in Tokyo and the past 2 "C" years, we've gone to the same place every morning on April 9th.  After that, the day is ours to enjoy without any commitments.  Here's what we looked like on our wedding day.

Wedding.thumb.jpg.2a30e6873badfd995d977c520c8c543d.jpg

Because it's our anniversary, I'm not cooking, so I have no idea what will be served to me for dinner tonight, but I'm sure it will be good.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and for all who are providing aid.  Extra for our Daily family who are having health and family struggles.  We'll raise our glasses high tonight to celebrate our good fortune, and all who are on the happy list.    Stay safe, get your boosters, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 3

Thanks to Rich and Roy for keeping this wonderful thread going.  Though I certainly don’t post everyday, I am a daily reader.  Prayers for all in need.

Cold weather again in SE PA.  DH going out grocery shopping with caretaker.  It’s his weekly “get out of the house” that he enjoys.  Nothing else going on that I can think of.

Aliaschief - I keep watching the Masters leaderboard too.  Good for Tiger.  Also stayed up very late to watch the end of the Mets game.  Excitement as they won but not without “issues” as 4th player hit by opposing pitcher in two days.  Stay calm everyone.  Katherine 

• Like 26

Today's sunrise is from my 2017 outrageous combination (Koningsdam/Crystal Serenity/Zaandam/Carnival Inspiraton/Crystal Symphony).  On April 9 the Zaandam arrived in Lima:

dawn0409.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone.

I really slept in today and now I'm running behind!   I will have to look for my Falklands pictures as we did make it back in 2011.   They are on one of the many flash drives I have.  

@luvteaching  Happy Birthday!

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.f7f93cb80ba45a8095d92dc92e37683a.jpg

Today's meal sounds like something I'd like.  Khao Soi is a Thai noodle soup made with a coconut curry broth.  I can just imagine the explosion of flavor!

https://damndelicious.net/2019/03/28/chicken-khao-soi-thai-coconut-curry-noodle-soup/

415754415_khoasoi3.thumb.jpg.db167d582df141a6e9962716ab0cba93.jpg

This version claims to be the real deal, but also explains that even in northern Thailand there are numerous versions of the soup.   In this one you make your own curry paste with a mortar and pestle.  I bet it is worth it, though.   https://www.seriouseats.com/khao-soi-gai-northern-thai-coconut-curry-noodle-soup-recipe-laksa

879878548_Khoasoi1.thumb.jpg.8baf1e0a98522bfa1aa7b13a3fa2d836.jpg

The chef from the above recipe would recoil in horror as the one in the next recipe uses a food processor to make the curry paste.   https://thewoksoflife.com/chicken-khao-soi/

129921524_khoasoi2.thumb.jpg.b3f031fda3ca4c657dd20cd581b4b68b.jpg

Prayers for those in need, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing everyone a delightful day.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone,

Just received a phone call from the cardiologist taking care of DH. Blood tests have confirmed that he did have a MI and he will continue on the IV meds until Monday when he is scheduled for an angiogram to check what the precipitating factor was. I will be leaving shortly to visit him.

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. This is such a supportive community 

Mary

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12