Do you like HAL production shows compared to other lines?

zhuangcorp

On 4/9/2022 at 2:54 PM, zhuangcorp said:

Do you like the HAL production shows compared to other lines??

I don’t much like production shows on cruises.  For that, I go to proper live theatre venues.  If that is an important part of your cruising experience then other lines do a better job.

HAL excels at the quality of their crew, their ships, and their itineraries.

I’d prefer to be on HAL:

• When sailing through rough water.  Some lines have ships which cut well through the swells.  Others do not.
  • To enjoy a traditional dining experience.
  • For musical entertainment.
  • To enjoy fresh flowers.
  • For buffets which aren’t self-serve.
  • To have a fabulous walk-in shower (Pinnacle-class).
  • To not be over-run with unruly children and, accordingly, their unruly parents.
  • To have a view from the bow of the ship (Crow’s Nest) without having to pay extra for it.
  • To have an actual prom, with or without seating.  I like to walk the full circumference of the ship on a lower deck without having to go back inside to cross to the next section.
  • For excellent in-room interactive television.
  • For a good-size balcony.
  • For the art.

Those who have made HAL a top pick when choosing cruises understand the above.  Those who don’t understand are more likely to enjoy other lines.  As this is your first cruise, go in with an open mind and enjoy the full experience.  If you find you like cruising, do some research on your likes and dislikes and try other lines.  You’ll soon find your fit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

For us, the itinerary is the top priority, followed by times in port and price. The entertainment offered on the ship isn't a consideration.

Regarding itinerary & time available for sightseeing, you can do a lot more sightseeing & nightlife on a land tour.

And also combine it with a cruise.

Regarding price, HAL is not cheaper than the competition, especially considering the cost saving on production shows, entertainment & activities

Edited by drsel

7 minutes ago, drsel said:

Regarding itinerary & time available for sightseeing, you can do a lot more sightseeing & nightlife on a land tour.

And also combine it with a cruise.

Regarding price, I can't find any HAL Cruise below $100 per person per night (lowest category cabin)

I agree, which is why we don't cruise very often. When we do it's always in conjunction with a land trip.

Price wise HAL's balcony cabins, on the itineraries we've been interested in, have always been a better overall value than other lines that we looked at.

• Like 1

Our recent Azamara cruise had fantastic talented entertainers and one of the main reasons our future cruises except one will be with Azamara. 

We are tired of dancers and Planet Earth reruns!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, drsel said:

All reading all these very interesting and informative comments about how HAL is so much inferior to Celebrity, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean (regarding production shows, entertainment and activities), I wonder how they manage to fill their cabins.

Last minute price drops???

It all depends on what’s important to you.
For some people, especially on short, routine, mass market cruises to the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera, on board entertainment is the big draw. It’s like Vegas with beaches, and that’s what they’re  looking for. HAL would be a disappointment for sure.

For others, longer cruises with great itineraries, and staff that end up becoming family are why they cruise. Menus, lectures, and activities with regional ‘ambassadors’  connecting you to the regions you sail through are the main draw. When you walk onto a HAL ship, the banner saying ‘Welcome Home’ is there for a reason, and you look for familiar faces among the crew.

For us, choosing a cruise based on the production shows is like choosing a sandwich based on the parsley garnish. 

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, drsel said:

Gary Bembridge, an experienced expert HAL cruiser, has made an excellent YouTube video addressing all the concerns and criticisms of HAL.

Yes, I did watch his video on HAL. He says that HAL entertainment is traditional production shows. 

But just from browsing the information on the lines' websites, I disagree with his description. All other lines seem to favor broadway style stage shows, while HAL is pretty much akin to a dance troupe. 

22 minutes ago, zhuangcorp said:

Yes, I did watch his video on HAL. He says that HAL entertainment is traditional production shows. 

But just from browsing the information on the lines' websites, I disagree with his description. All other lines seem to favor broadway style stage shows, while HAL is pretty much akin to a dance troupe. 

Your description is accurate.  Years ago there was a cruise line entertainment package that was standardized, more or less.   Over the past 20 years with the expansion of cruising different lines have chosen different niches.  HAL has not chosen the broadway model,  the line that has embraced that role is all of the RCCL brands 

Edited by Mary229

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Your description is accurate.  Years ago there was a cruise line entertainment package that was standardized, more or less.   Over the past 20 years with the expansion of cruising different lines have chosen different niches.  HAL has not chosen the broadway model,  the line that has embraced that role is all of the RCCL brands 

Yes, RCCL and Norwegian for sure. 

But also Princess seems to be closer to RCCL than to HAL? No?

Just now, zhuangcorp said:

Yes, RCCL and Norwegian for sure. 

But also Princess seems to be closer to RCCL than to HAL? No?

Not the last time I sailed Princess but that was an Alaska cruise and those tend to be more muted anyway. 

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Not the last time I sailed Princess but that was an Alaska cruise and those tend to be more muted anyway. 

Didn't Princess bring on the Wicked producer or something? So I assumed their shows are in that style. 

1 minute ago, zhuangcorp said:

Didn't Princess bring on the Wicked producer or something? So I assumed their shows are in that style. 

Could be, I don’t follow the entertainment.   I can only comment on my experiences 

Our first of 22 HAL cruises was 2010

We looked forward then to a performance on the main stage. They had dancers singers, comedians and yes even jugglers then

Now a dance troupe and BBC shows which can be shown on tv are all there is. A  definite slide from a Premium cruise line towards a Mass cruise one

Just off  the beautiful Rotterdam and cornhole and cheesy game shows are offered during the day

11 minutes ago, bobpell said:

A  definite slide from a Premium cruise line towards a Mass cruise one

....cornhole and cheesy game shows are offered during the day

But HAL prices haven't fallen. Almost the same as Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity

Other than itinerary and entertainment we see little difference between HAL, Celebrity, and Princess.   We see much more difference between ships than we do those cruise lines.

We have had equally great service on all of them.  Just as we have on several other mass market lines.

We typically book inside the final payment window.   This makes price comparisons only valid for a short window...sometimes a day.  At least for verandah cabins.   HAL can be the most expensive on one day.  A week later HAL could be the least expensive per diem.   For a time Celebrity's late booking Tuesday specials were very hard to beat.  Especially for Med sailings.  Not so much now though.  Seems like a whole new ball game now.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

There’s been huge changes in HAL’s entertainment in the last few years.  Not sure how recent your experience is on them and the others?  

We have in the past enjoyed some very interesting entertainment,   Last very long cruise we skipped most evenings. We do appreciate local entertainment like HAL brought in in Japan,  some amazing drummers. 

Edited by bennybear

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We are tired of dancers and Planet Earth reruns!

I wonder if the same "entertainment genius" who has been employed by HAL for decades still sits in some executive office in Seattle.  If so, I have identified the problem.  

• Like 3

We choose HAL, not for the entertainment (or any cruise line for that matter). My last four cruises were Navigator of the Seas, Westerdam, Oosterdam, and Rotterdam. Two were transatlantic, one a Panama Canal, one was a Caribbean. None was less than 11 nights; we like longer cruises. We are not late nighters. We love the small venues for music, which remind us of when "nightclubs" were king on land. We did take in one show, Cantare, in the Main Stage. They were terrific. The food (except for NY Pizza and Deli) was wonderful, including the specialty places for which in the past I had negative thoughts. We love the HAL itineraries. I look for local guides in ports. I try to tie in land-based tours before or after a cruise. In Florida we visit family who do not travel westward. We love Trivia games although we never win! It is a great way to meet people. Everybody has their own reason for cruising and none of those reasons are wrong. Unless you are thinking of drug smuggling or human trafficking (ha, ha).

Jim

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iancal said:

We typically book inside the final payment window.   This makes price comparisons only valid for a short window...sometimes a day.  At least for verandah cabins.   HAL can be the most expensive on one day.  A week later HAL could be the least expensive per diem.   For a time Celebrity's late booking Tuesday specials were very hard to beat.  Especially for Med sailings.  Not so much now though.  Seems like a whole new ball game now.

After Covid, I can't find many last many deals within the final payment window on any cruise line

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drsel said:

After Covid, I can't find many last many deals within the final payment window on any cruise line

We found the same even before.  Better to book ahead and watch for price drops IMO.  Many cruises have sold out before hand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

We found the same even before.  Better to book ahead and watch for price drops IMO.  Many cruises have sold out before hand.

Before Covid, one of the best last minute deals I got 60 days prior to sailing was a 9 night Celebrity Constellation Abu Dhabi round trip.

It was USD 910 (including port fees and all taxes,  excluding gratuity) for 2 adults ($455 pp) in an Ocean view cabin, including

A) unlimited alcoholic drinks package & service charge on drinks

or

B) USD 300 OBC.

There were also two other options which were not as good.

We chose 300 OBC.

The Cruise was fabulous with 4 Broadway style production shows and excellent solo performers ( violinist, pianist, tribute bands) on the other five nights.

The service was too good and they treated us like royalty.

We had gourmet food in the main dining room, including lobster and tiger prawns on the formal nights, without any extra charge.

An absolutely amazing Cruise at a ridiculously low price!!

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

In many instances we do not care if we buy a last minute cruise.  The cruise is often a plan B in the event that  an attractive offer hits the screen.  Last minute Med cruises have been so attractive because of the low cost of regional airlines in Europe.  On the last one our Vueling air from Palermo, where we happened to be on our last stop, to Rome  was $37. each.  We also found that last minute Med cruises from Istanbul were often more attractively priced than last minute cruises from Rome.

Most of our better offers have been purchased between 3 days out and 30 days out.  Even more challenging for us is that we only want balcony or better cabins.  We always have a strike price.  If our price hits we buy, if not we carry on.  If air is required we price that at the same time.  

Our very best last minutes were an 21 day OZ/NZ purchased a two weeks or so out while on a land trip. Plus a last minute Alaska from our then home in Vancouver on Wednesday for a Saturday sailing.  This close to sailing meant that we were able to get a good idea of what the weather would be.

The Australian thread has  sub  'el cheapo'  thread on last minute cruise/prices which we happened on purely by chance.  We were very thankful for those Australian posters who gave us the heads up.

Last minute offers/prices were listed on the blog.  It was 30 percent less than the price if we were buying through our NA on line TA..   Booked by phone with the Sydney RCI office with no issues whatsoever. 

We have have not been doing any real cruise shopping since covid hit.   We are doing a land trip to Europe in late May/June.  Not even looking at cruises-last minute or otherwise.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, iancal said:

In many instances we do not care if we buy a last minute cruise.  The cruise is often a plan B in the event that  an attractive offer hits the screen.  Last minute Med cruises have been so attractive because of the low cost of regional airlines in Europe.  On the last one our Vueling air from Palermo, where we happened to be on our last stop, to Rome  was $37. each.  We also found that last minute Med cruises from Istanbul were often more attractively priced than last minute cruises from Rome.

Most of our better offers have been purchased between 3 days out and 30 days out.  Even more challenging for us is that we only want balcony or better cabins.  We always have a strike price.  If our price hits we buy, if not we carry on.  If air is required we price that at the same time.  

Our very best last minutes were an 21 day OZ/NZ purchased a two weeks or so out while on a land trip. Plus a last minute Alaska from our then home in Vancouver on Wednesday for a Saturday sailing.  This close to sailing meant that we were able to get a good idea of what the weather would be.

The Australian thread has  sub  'el cheapo'  thread on last minute cruise/prices which we happened on purely by chance.  We were very thankful for those Australian posters who gave us the heads up.

Last minute offers/prices were listed on the blog.  It was 30 percent less than the price if we were buying through our NA on line TA..   Booked by phone with the Sydney RCI office with no issues whatsoever. 

We have have not been doing any real cruise shopping since covid hit.   We are doing a land trip to Europe in late May/June.  Not even looking at cruises-last minute or otherwise.

When was this,  we found this to be the case ten years ago but not for the more recent past. We found often prices rose and were glad to have booked early. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, bennybear said:

When was this,  we found this to be the case ten years ago but not for the more recent past. We found often prices rose and were glad to have booked early. 

Australia was 2016.  Last Med cruise was 2019...they are usually mid October sailings towards the back end of a land trip.    Alaska last minutes have been every year pre covid.  We watch these because we live nearby.  Pre covid we were seeing 7 day insides as low as $299 and $349 on Zandaam.  Even a few obstructed balcony cabins on some Princess ships for $349-$399.  Balcony cabins were often available last minute for $499. on various cruise lines.

I believe one thing that helps us is we never set our hearts on a cruise.  If it happens fine.  If not we have no issue carrying on with our land plans. More often than not this is the case.  This is what made last minute Med cruises so attractive to us.

The other factor that makes it easier for us is that we are not married to one cruise line. Could not care about the logo on the funnel.  We do care about the ship. Typically we start by shopping with HAL, Princess, Celebrity, and RCI.  When selecting we do not even think about production shows or entertainment.  The reality is that we have found those attributes are very inconsistent between brands, ships, and itineraries.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1