Single cruiser buffet issue..

csoud68

I look for an empty table, put my silverware and drink on it, and when I come back to the table its always occupied .

My stuff is pushed over and a group of people are always there looking all innocent. 

This obviously never happens if I'm with someone but it is infuriating when I just want to eat my breakfast..

Any ideas on how this can be prevented. 

Go to the dining room

I tried to avoid the buffet  for that reason

We have had that happen but we are 2  people 

Getting your food first  is an option but then your food gets cold if you have to go get your own beverage

If you put a book or other personal item on the table  it sometimes helps but rude people will move it no matter what

• Like 2

As a solo cruiser also I've read many suggestions...

• Leave your napkin draped on your chair seat
  • Tilt your chair so that the back rests on the table edge
  • Leave a few (inexpensive) personal belongings -- i.e., a pair of cheap sunglasses and your daily

Some say they have gone so far as to make a card before leaving home that basically says something like "I am still dining, please do not clear."

As someone with a lot of solo cruises, I have to say it's only happened to me once or twice. Maybe try a different cruise line?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

As a solo cruiser also I've read many suggestions...

• Leave your napkin draped on your chair seat
  • Tilt your chair so that the back rests on the table edge
  • Leave a few (inexpensive) personal belongings -- i.e., a pair of cheap sunglasses and your daily

Some say they have gone so far as to make a card before leaving home that basically says something like "I am still dining, please do not clear."

As someone with a lot of solo cruises, I have to say it's only happened to me once or twice. Maybe try a different cruise line?

Best thing: make a folded place card that says “OCCUPIED” (Actually, make a stock of them).

And, if you want to do the “tilting chair” thing, a less obtrusive thing is to just turn the chair around in its place and drape the napkin over it.

• Like 1

I've had it happen 5 or 6 times myself, normally I try and get some food on a plate and put that down first to show the table is being used. Although I've also had it happen where I've come back from getting a new drink to find the table as been cleared/cleaned. Oh well. Solo Travel is still better than no travel!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I do this, because if the buffet is busy, staff will try to clear places rapidly. Once a museum cafeteria, an employee removed not only the dishes, but the book I was reading, which was on its way to the dishwashing line.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We put napkins and our drinks (glass of ice and our canned cola and DH mixed drink). They also now have two sided cards on the table noting that their either clean and available other side says not !! We were just on 3 RCI cruises and had no problems.

Another option is Room Service. We do that for breakfast.  Do other meals at buffet and go at off hours makes it easier.   I like the place card idea, you might have  it say " reserved for the Captain".

• Like 4

8 hours ago, csoud68 said:

I look for an empty table, put my silverware and drink on it, and when I come back to the table its always occupied .

My stuff is pushed over and a group of people are always there looking all innocent. 

This obviously never happens if I'm with someone but it is infuriating when I just want to eat my breakfast..

You can invite a person to join you at the table.

I have used most of the strategies that have been mentioned.  And, with success in saving my spot.  Most used:  since I almost always carry with me my journal and/or a book, I will leave that item on the table.  Going for seconds, I will drape the napkin over the back of the chair and/or put an "Occupied" sign on the table.  Irritating (minor, to be sure) is when the staff clear my plates as well as my silverware and I have to obtain more silverware and a drink.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

You can invite a person to join you at the table.

The person who stole my table would be the last person I would want to share a table with.  I sure hope that you are not serious w your reply. 

Along with the prior suggestion of a "this table is occupied" sign, I would suggest a very large sign with very large letters that covers half the table that says the same thing.  Then take a picture of the table before you leave.   The person who "innocently" steals your table can hardly say that they did not know that that table was occupied.  Being  nice about a problem hardly ever works.  Being annoying about a problem sometimes does work.

You could and I am certainly not being serious here put a blow up doll in the empty chair of your tale.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

The person who stole my table would be the last person I would want to share a table with.  I sure hope that you are not serious w your reply. 

Along with the prior suggestion of a "this table is occupied" sign, I would suggest a very large sign with very large letters that covers half the table that says the same thing.  Then take a picture of the table before you leave.   The person who "innocently" steals your table can hardly say that they did not know that that table was occupied.  Being  nice about a problem hardly ever works.  Being annoying about a problem sometimes does work.

You could and I am certainly not being serious here put a blow up doll in the empty chair of your tale.

DON

Have you ever sat down at an empty table and a person asked if there was a seat not taken ? I have many times.You could ask the person to hold your place there could you not ?

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Have you ever sat down at an empty table and a person asked if there was a seat not taken ? I have many times.You could ask the person to hold your place there could you not ?

I misinterpreted your post.  I assumed that you were suggesting that I be polite to the person that stole my table.  I apologize.  Yes.  I have asked a person who has asked if they could share my table many times.

DON

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I misinterpreted your post.  I assumed that you were suggesting that I be polite to the person that stole my table.  I apologize.  Yes.  I have asked a person who has asked if they could share my table many times.

DON

Enjoy whichever upcoming holiday you celebrate,Don.

I'm almost done with my first solo cruise. First off, I avoid the buffet whenever possible. When it can't be avoided, is usually not crowded where getting a table was an issue. I also left items on the table while I was still occupying the table.

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

They also now have two sided cards on the table noting that their either clean and available other side says not !! We were just on 3 RCI cruises and had no problems.

On RCI maybe, but a blanket statement like that is inaccurate as not all cruise lines have this.  NCL doesn't, for example.

I haven't had any problem on HAL.  But then, as soon as I arrive with my food a steward/crew comes over to ask what I want for a beverage.  We don't have to get our own (although we can if we're just passing through).  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:31 AM, csoud68 said:

I understand how annoying this can be, but I've dined at dozens of cruise ship buffets over the past decade across several cruise lines, and I've never had this happen to me.  My relevant buffet protocols:

• I almost always get main courses and desserts first, then choose a table, put everything down, and only then do I get drinks.  Someone who wants to sit at a table like that... there are no words. At least not printable ones.  🤬
  • I try to sit close to the self-service drink station, or wherever the drinks are served from
  • I try to find a 2-top or 4-top.  Sitting in the middle of a big table is asking for company, IMHO.
  • I rarely need to get up again for seconds or a drink refresh
  • I try to dine at less busy times as much as my appetite allows

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your tips.

• Like 2

I also make a sign OCCUPIED before leaving for a cruise.  I bring a thin paperback book that I leave on the table as well.  (I don't read the book. It's just a decoy.) At dinner, I usually go at the same time and sit in the same area.  The staff gets to know you. I let them know I'm getting up for a beverage or dessert  and I'm coming back.  

• Like 1