Value of Spa Balcony on Encore Alaska Cruise

KristinLM

I am trying to decide if we want to bid on upgrading from a balcony to a spa balcony / spa balcony mini-suite. (Haven is too fancy for us--and too rich for our vacation, so not an option.)

We are not big "spa-goers" in regular life, but having a quieter area to relax and unwind (along with the heated loungers, etc.) would be really nice. The heated loungers (and the lounge area in general) look amazing.

We might use the saunas/pool area once or twice if we had it. Not sure we would die if we didn't.

I see a lot of information on the other thermal spa areas (Joy, Epic, etc.), but I am not sure about the Encore. I have watched the "walk throughs" on youtube, but still not sure.

How is the view out the spa area? How does it compare to e.g. the Observation lounge?

What drawbacks (aside of price, obviously) are there? Are the room locations all good? Any tips or recommendations.

And yes, I know, only we can decide what is best for us. I just want some different perspectives from people who have cruised this ship and/or itinerary.

Thank you!

I have been to Alaska many times.  I would NOT spend the money on a Spa balcony unless, you plan NOT to go off ship.  There are so many things to see and do (some very expensive excursions), I would spend the money in that direction.

You might be able to do your Christmas shopping in the Alaskan ports and have the shops sent it home for you.

The Observation Lounge would be a great space to relax and unwind.

Enjoy your time in the United States and your cruise.

We had a spa balcony on the Encore last fall during an Alaska cruise, and for us it was worth every penny. (That said, we got a great deal and our upgrade bid from regular balcony to spa balcony was less than the price of just buying two thermal spa passes.)

We loved the location of the spa cabins, and spent most of our time in Glacier Bay on the balcony versus up on the top deck. And we really loved being able to hop up to the spa even for an hour here and there when the weather outside turned nasty. LOVED being in the spa pool when the ship was rocking in the waves, but that might not be for everyone.

One pro/con of the spa balcony cabins, depending on how you look at it, is that you'll have the overhang of Deck 16 above you. So it blocks a bit of the sun/view, but also keeps the rain out.

We honestly didn't spend as much time in the Observation Lounge as we expected, since the prime seats got snapped up whenever there was a good view passing by.

DSC09815.thumb.JPG.219f8ffe8f00befb43cc331bde25f741.JPGIMG_1377.thumb.JPG.2ac8b67a33791135d7f454f87392bf12.JPGIMG_0264.thumb.JPG.7f054ad6246859166c472d6415fa93a8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a spa balcony last October.  You get special soaps in your room and it's close to the spa.

We picked it for something different and to enjoy the spa since the outdoor pools would be too cold to go outside.

We didn't use the observation lounge much. It was always packed and people chair hogs that area for the views.

Disappointed with the tiny buffet area in the observation lounge. It was mainly a few items, meats and cheeses. Just not worth the hype.

The spa is great, it's big. Not enough heated loungers. When we went they weren't selling extra spa access passes, so it was only spa rooms. Now they sell 100+ passes, so it will be more crowded.

Honestly,  I'm not much of a spa person either. But the thermal pool where you turn on these sprayers was heaven, then they have a hot tub, snow room, wet and dry sauna rooms, salt bath room. 

1 hour ago, OrcaGirl said:

We loved the location of the spa cabins, and spent most of our time in Glacier Bay on the balcony versus up on the top deck. And we really loved being able to hop up to the spa even for an hour here and there when the weather outside turned nasty. LOVED being in the spa pool when the ship was rocking in the waves, but that might not be for everyone.

So I'm not the only one who loves that! It's like being in a wave pool.

Spa balcony pro: Thermal suite pass included, close to the spa area

Spa balcony con: Pricing could be more than regular balcony + spa passes, location could be a little noisy if you wind up under the fitness center or pool deck

The Encore/Bliss thermal suite is deck 16 aft with a wall of windows. The view is fabulous. I spend a couple hours there almost daily during cruises, relaxing in the pool and then on a padded lounger (I don't like the tiled ones).

On these ships, the spa balcony cabins are deck 15 aft; a set of the B9 cabins on the port side (15242-15258) are under the fitness center. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Guys/Gals,

well that really helps me out! I guess I am disappointed that the rooms are under the pool area/fitness center! (WHAT!?!) That would be too risky for my blood to "bid". I will ask our PCC about possibly upgrading as the cost is the same as trying to bid.

We'll see what the Man thinks about all this.

I do like the idea of another place to relax and watch the world go buy that is "warmer". But then there is the arguement @www3traveler made about the cost of excursions.

1st world problems:    luxury or not? AND which luxury do we go for?

Thank you. I was aware of that. A day pass is not something we would purchase--we would feel we had to be in the spa the whole day--not just an hour or so in the evenings or mornings (that's one expensive hour). Day passes are almost as expensive as upgrading for my sailing right now.

I am just debating the room upgrade, not spa access in general; e.g. we will not be purchasing a $300/pp spa access for the week.

My question was more to the benefits of room upgrade + thermal spa access, not how to get into the spa. At this moment, the take is that bidding gives us a great chance of a loud room below the pool/fitness rooms with spa access. Upgrading may give us access to a quieter room with spa access.

My current feeling is to keep the room we have and skip the bidding. I would be disappointed to have a loud(er) room.

5 hours ago, KristinLM said:

Thank you. I was aware of that. A day pass is not something we would purchase--we would feel we had to be in the spa the whole day--not just an hour or so in the evenings or mornings (that's one expensive hour). Day passes are almost as expensive as upgrading for my sailing right now.

I am just debating the room upgrade, not spa access in general; e.g. we will not be purchasing a $300/pp spa access for the week.

My question was more to the benefits of room upgrade + thermal spa access, not how to get into the spa. At this moment, the take is that bidding gives us a great chance of a loud room below the pool/fitness rooms with spa access. Upgrading may give us access to a quieter room with spa access.

My current feeling is to keep the room we have and skip the bidding. I would be disappointed to have a loud(er) room.

Chances are good that you’d get a quieter room. But that’s the deal with bidding - you get what you get. I just monitor prices obsessively and then buy into the fancier cabin if the price drops enough. I do like that big shower!

I once had a room that was right under the hot tub in the spa.  It was awful, as we had slightly rough seas and the sloshing of the hot tub water kept me awake all night (the room was a 2 bedroom non Haven penthouse.)

If I were in your position I would keep the balcony and buy a weeklong spa pass.

Great to see this OP and the follow-up responses, as we are debating on the Bliss Deck 14 Club Balcony Suite or Deck 15 Spa Club Balcony Suite next May in Alaska.  We always book the Thermal Suite for the week, and I understand on the Bliss its $249pp before boarding.  But right now the SCBS is only $150 more pp than the CBS.  Of course.... Deck 15 is right below the Pool/Gym/Garden Cafe (read: chaos) Deck.

I never considered the additional overhang, so that alone might deter us from Deck 15.  I'm most interested in hearing experiences from those who HAVE stayed in Spa Balcony/Spa Club Balcony Suite on Deck 15 on either the Bliss or Encore (similarly-designed ships).  Better to save a couple hundred bucks to book the SCBS now... or save our sanity for the week by dropping a deck and shelling out a little more.  The extra of flight steps does not bother us in the least; we just appreciate testimonials from those who have stayed in the Spa cabins.  TIA!

On 4/16/2022 at 8:45 AM, KristinLM said:

I see a lot of information on the other thermal spa areas (Joy, Epic, etc.), but I am not sure about the Encore. I have watched the "walk throughs" on youtube, but still not sure.

How is the view out the spa area? How does it compare to e.g. the Observation lounge?

We just sailed the Encore last week and had the weekly Thermal Suite pass.  We LOVED it.  The Spa is aft, so the scenery in the Caribbean was pretty much all... water behind us.  But my expectation is that the views will be wonderful from this TS when land is on port side.

Just know that the views from the TS will understandably be limited as compared to the two-story windows of the forward-facing Observation Lounge plus its long range of side windows.

I recall the entry to the TS being on the starboard side with immediate Women's and Men's Locker Rooms.  Once inside the TS itself the pool is to your immediate right (which would be nearly center in the TS).  LOTS of rows of padded chairs and heated loungers along the many aft and port side windows.  On a near-capacity Caribbean cruise there was never an issue where we didn't have an available lounger or padded chair.  

As this TS wraps around the port side of the ship, it is the largest we've experienced.  I'm sure it will be in high demand in Alaska for a very nice escape from the cold.  Now to just hope that fellow passengers observe the posted 30-min timeframes for lounger utilization 🤪

Edited by sberg23

Some of the responses have really surprised me. Some of those rooms just don't sound "restful". 😲 I know I asked about the spa itself, but the rooms just seem to be "questionably" placed. That was something I had not considered. I thought about it when booking our room now, but just assumed the spa rooms would be quieter.

We are currently Deck 14 mid/mid-aft (actually just under the spa balcony rooms). Our situation is the one described by @OrcaGirl; the cost to upgrade is lower than the price of 2 spa week passes and we would be "popping up for an hour or so to unwind throughout the cruise", not using the spa for a whole day.

We are now weighing between two room types: quiet inner area to relax + nicer amenities + larger shower in the room AND fitness/pool area/whirlpool noise possibilities during the night/early mornings (6am is early for me on vacation--or any day, if I am honest).

A quiet(er) heated room for relaxating and watching the Alaskan scenery from loungers sounds heavenly. We would use the pool and saunas maybe twice. I am not sure I would be able to observe the 30 min. time limit. I would, of course. I am a considerate cruiser. But the struggle would be real.

Edited by KristinLM

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just to update on our decision. We were offered an amazing deal to upgrade. We paid directly to upgrade for less than the cost of a single dining plan meal in a specialty restaurant.

We got to pick out our room and thankfully had the advice here so went with a (hopefully) quiet one starboard just off the elevators (under the beauty area).

For that price, even if we only go for an hour, it has more than paid for itself and is something we would not have "splurged" for.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:45 AM, KristinLM said:

I am trying to decide if we want to bid on upgrading from a balcony to a spa balcony / spa balcony mini-suite. (Haven is too fancy for us--and too rich for our vacation, so not an option.)

We are not big "spa-goers" in regular life, but having a quieter area to relax and unwind (along with the heated loungers, etc.) would be really nice. The heated loungers (and the lounge area in general) look amazing.

We might use the saunas/pool area once or twice if we had it. Not sure we would die if we didn't.

What drawbacks (aside of price, obviously) are there? Are the room locations all good? Any tips or recommendations.

And yes, I know, only we can decide what is best for us. I just want some different perspectives from people who have cruised this ship and/or itinerary.

Thank you!

There are a few pictures from our Encore cruise a couple of weeks ago starting on Post #66. The spa is located at the back of the ship, so you have an aft view. The entire thread below is a live post from our cruise if you are curious on daily programs, menus, etc. 

We went to the Thermal Suite every day. If you are not a spa person, don't waste your money. 

Thank you, @BirdTravels, for your response.

I already upgraded us. The price was next to nothing and we both know that we will go at least once and perhaps more, just for the peace.
We would not have been willing to pay the price of a week pass or equivalent.

I will check out your thread for more information (I think I already read through it and looked at all your wonderful pictures and information.