Rio April 2023

Bruin Steve

We have a Transatlantic cruise on Celebrity Rio to Lisbon April 13, 2023.  Never been to Rio before.  Have no idea what to see, what to expect, how much time to spend, where to stay, etc.

Looking for a safe area with lots nearby--restaurants, sights, etc.  Also, would three nights pre-cruise be enough? (We have a 13-night cruise followed by 4 nights in Lisbon and Barcelona followed by another 7-night cruise)...

Hotel recommendations?

Should we book city tour?  A private tour guide?  Anything we MUST see?

Thanks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

We have a Transatlantic cruise on Celebrity Rio to Lisbon April 13, 2023.  Never been to Rio before.  Have no idea what to see, what to expect, how much time to spend, where to stay, etc.

Looking for a safe area with lots nearby--restaurants, sights, etc.  Also, would three nights pre-cruise be enough? (We have a 13-night cruise followed by 4 nights in Lisbon and Barcelona followed by another 7-night cruise)...

Hotel recommendations?

Should we book city tour?  A private tour guide?  Anything we MUST see?

Thanks...

Just before pandemic we were overnight  in Rio. We booked a private guide named Gus....August Guimaraes. I cannot believe how much we saw.. He was fantastic.....his email precovid was. Gusguide@ hotmail.com.      we had asked him to end the second day with his taking us to a lovely restaurant  and then the airport since our flight wasn't until 11pm.

Looking for a safe area with lots nearby--restaurants, sights, etc.

Sorry to disappoint but that might be difficult if not impossible to find.

Although it has been many years since we visited, I don't think the city is any more safe for tourists now than it was then.  Try internet searching "tourist safety in Rio" or something similar.  It is mostly petty theft I think.  At the time we visited we were advised not to walk anywhere at night, and, not to wear watches or jewellery or carry cameras or money or credit cards even in daytime.  We had the same safety issues in Lima, Peru so Rio is not alone in having high poverty levels.

We were there for 3 nights with 2 days sightseeing before boarding, and joined with another couple to book a private driver/guide to take us around both days.  He picked up and dropped off at the hotel (which was also used by the cruiseline and from where we were transferred to the port in coaches)

He even advised us to leave his daily cash payment in our hotel safes until he dropped us off at the end of both days as he didn't want to be carrying it either.

We had a super two days with him enjoying the main sights, and for safety, and to avoid venturing out, dined in the hotel restaurant each evening .

I would strongly recommend you book private tours for your stay there and dine in your hotel.

I am sorry I no longer have his name or contact info, but others should have more up to date info.

Edited by edinburgher

would three nights pre-cruise be enough?

I should have probably suggested that 3 nights/2 days would be enough as we had that and saw all the main sights in that time, plus a short visit up to Petropolis. As our day 1 was very cloudy at Christ the Redeemer and the views would have been minimal, our driver/guide swapped our day 1 and day 2 itineraries in the hope that our day 2 would be cloudless and afford the best views, which it did.  You get that flexibility with a private tour.  Needless to say, the cruiseline tours left from the hotel  as scheduled on day 1, so their  Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf Mountain views were of nothing at all and people were really disappointed.

2 full days should be enough, as Rio isn't like a normal city where you go out and walkabout solo, visiting museums, restaurants etc.

As for "what to see", with a private tour you can ask for anything you want. Spend some time reading up on the sights and decide which would be important to you and incorporate those into your itinerary.  The big "absolutely not to be missed" is of course Christ the Redeemer,(with Sugarloaf second) Standing up there was one of those "pinch me I can't believe I am here" moments.

And your driver/guide will also have suggestions.

Despite the drawbacks, Rio is an amazing city to visit.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...