Concepts from other lines you'd like to see on Royal?

On 5/2/2022 at 10:03 AM, Kellie in Texas said:

I'll probably get made fun of, but I wish Royal had self-service laundry rooms. I've got sweaty boys to deal with and it really makes things easier to be able to do a load of laundry midweek. And yes, I know Royal has the all-you-can-stuff laundry bags but I don't use hot water and high heat on our laundry. 

Agree!

Though I've never experienced this, I seem to recall reading about it on other cruise lines: a stargazing location on the ship that is devoid of light pollution.  I would love to lay out on a lounge chair gazing up at the cosmos while in the middle of the gulf of Mexico...just too many lights on the RCCL ships for my taste.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, time4u2go said:

A decent website.

As a solo cruiser I'd like to at least see a better way to find pricing for one person.  NCL's page at least allows me to select one person right on the filters on the front page, shows me the lowest fare for a solo and offers right away the Studio cabin rather than having to find it within the inside or balcony cabin types as Royal requires.  Oh, and RCI's website does NOT work in Chrome on my work (Windows) or home computers (Mac).

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

my issue with this is solos not only pay double cruisefare, but with all inclusive, they tip double. I personally avoid celebrity for this reason.  Ncl offer is 50% off 2nd air fare. Oh boy. Just what a solo wants. No wonder their fares are so high. 

When it was free or reduced airfare (rather than BOGO 50%) a solo had to pay the full solo supplement, but it still only cost me $60 more to sail in a balcony WITH the reduced airfare and full supplement compared to a Studio with my own airfare.  I'll take the balcony, thanks.

16 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Towel checkout.  Not sure why they continue with this.  I believe this policy all came about when towels were “branded” Royal Caribbean.  They ended up in suitcases going home.  But they dropped those towels and the towels as they are now can’t be seen as “trophies.”  Yes, some will still go MIA but are there that many lost that would justify the staff needed for towel stations.  Also, on Allure this past March, we went to hot tub one evening and there were towels for the taking available in the Solarium.   

On NCL they seem to have pseudo-dropped the checkout.  When I sailed in March I had to ask the person if they needed my room number (they had a clipboard for it), and getting off at ports seemed to have no log of who was taking one or dropping them when they come back.  Maybe it was due to reduced capacity?  Did they just not really care?  When I did my first NCL cruise there was a towel left in the room all week, but I imagine I'd have been charged for it if it "disappeared".

16 hours ago, kayjaypea42 said:

At least on NCL there's specific rooms and even lounges dedicated to solo travelers.  It would be nice if they had balcony rooms for solos though, even if the balcony was smaller than a normal balcony.

Yup, this is one of the reasons I've done my last 3 on NCL (though, ironically, 2 of those 3 were in balconies).  Royal has so few solo rooms and such a minimal (if ANY) solo 'program' it's just not worth my time/money to try booking one of those elusive rooms!  The NCL ships with Studio cabins have 80+ of them, not 12 like on Royal!  The lounge is a nice place to hang out, if it's a less-warm itinerary.  If Royal improved on the solo stuff (including some noted above) I'd consider them if I was going on my own.  During normal times NCL has a dedicated 'Solo host' from the CD staff that helps to organize group dinners and activities, and scheduled nightly gatherings before dinner.

7 hours ago, dcgrumpy said:

Johnny Rocket's, El Loco Fresh, Mini Bites, Dog House...are fine. But something like Guy's Burger's or Shaq's Chicken would be bad? I'm not really getting the difference. 

Johnny Rockets is not included.  It's $10 a pop.  Haven't been on a ship with mini bites.  El Loco Fresh is definitely a step in the right direction, but it's only on a few ships.

Every Carnival ship has Guy's Burgers included.  Mardi Gras has not only Guy's Burgers included, but also Shaq's Big Chicken, Blue Iguana, Street Eats, Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ (also upcharged on Oasis, for instance) the Deli, Pizza, Java Blue, etc. as well as the Lido.  In addition to that, two of the "specialty" restaurants, Cucina del Capitano and ChiBang are also included.  Just a lot more included options than RCCL.

We are going on Independence next week and our only included options are WJ, MDR, Sorrento's, and Cafe Promenade (which is very limited for what it is).

My main complaint is Johnny Rockets.  They should just drop that and include a deck based burger option.  Also, to me, I don't understand why they don't include the food options in Playmakers.  I was surprised to see that on Oasis, if I wanted fries there it was $3, but I could go up to the WJ and get them for free (but it was more of a hassle...).

Edited by bmc alabama
  • Like 4

Just now, bmc alabama said:

Johnny Rockets is not included.  It's $10 a pop.  Haven't been on a ship with mini bites.  El Loco Fresh is definitely a step in the right direction, but it's only on a few ships.

Every Carnival ship has Guy's Burgers included.  Mardi Gras has not only Guy's Burgers included, but also Shaq's Big Chicken, Guy's Pig and Anchor BBQ (also upcharged on Oasis, for instance) the Deli, Pizza, Java Blue, etc.  In addition to that, two of the "specialty" restaurants, Cucina del Capitano and ChiBang are also included.  Just a lot more included options than RCCL.

We are going on Independence next week and our only included options are WJ, MDR, Sorrento's, and Cafe Promenade (which is very limited for what it is).

My main complaint is Johnny Rockets.  They should just drop that and include a deck based burger option.  Also, to me, I don't understand why they don't include the food options in Playmakers.  I was surprised to see that on Oasis, if I wanted fries there it was $3, but I could go up to the WJ and get them for free (but it was more of a hassle...).

Yes I know all that. That's why I was asking the other poster why he thinks the places on RCCL ships are fine,  but he  thinks that Guy's and Shaq's belong on "crappy Carnival cruises". 

8 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

Yes I know all that. That's why I was asking the other poster why he thinks the places on RCCL ships are fine,  but he  thinks that Guy's and Shaq's belong on "crappy Carnival cruises". 

Ahhh.  Gotcha.

• Like 1

Just now, dcgrumpy said:

I prefer RCCL, but one of the few areas that I think CCL excels is the quick service food area around the pool. Especially on Mardi Gras. 

We've only done 2 cruises on each (RCCL and CCL), but I have to say, our cruise on the Mardi Gras, I think changes the dynamic a bit.  It's not like the older CCL ships (like, they now have a glass shower door, the cabins are really nice, things like that).  I think that they are stepping up and competition is a good thing!

That said, we probably enjoy DCL and Princess (and now, Virgin...  that was a great cruise) as our "go-to" lines, but we find something we like on every line.  I am looking forward, for instance, to funnel cakes at Coco Cay next week!

• Like 1

As stated by others...luggage drop off in room upon arrival,  everything included...drinks, tips, etc., in price.  More outdoor dining spots; especially near to pool.  I would LOVE a coffee pot in my room!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Though I've never experienced this, I seem to recall reading about it on other cruise lines: a stargazing location on the ship that is devoid of light pollution.  I would love to lay out on a lounge chair gazing up at the cosmos while in the middle of the gulf of Mexico...just too many lights on the RCCL ships for my taste.

My first cruise was aboard Carnival Inspiration about 25 years ago. One thing I still remember is being out on a deck at the bow and it was literally so dark you could not see your hand in front of your face. That was the best stargazing of my life.

Another thing I like about Carnival is cove balconies. I find them to be the ideal balance between fresh air and privacy.

Lastly, the Carnival maître d's seem to have a magical talent for picking dinner guests for large tables. We have always been seated with small families like ours and made lasting friendships. I believe they put more effort into table assignments.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 6:49 PM, firefly333 said:

anytime dining to start earlier. Carnival opens at 530 pm and you just push a button and computer matched to a table. None of this waiting around like rcl. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:03 PM, dcgrumpy said:

I wish Royal had more quick service food options around the pool. 

On 5/1/2022 at 8:09 PM, time4u2go said:

Good poolside dining. 

On 5/2/2022 at 2:50 AM, Cherries Jubilee said:

They could stand to get newer movie releases for movies on deck and show them more often.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:52 PM, Tee & Chilli said:

Thalassotherapy pool 

On 5/2/2022 at 4:35 PM, Colorado Buffalo said:

Better 'quick service' food - something like Guy's Burgers and Shaq's Chicken for no additional charge.

Ya'll are seriously making me question our decision to jump from Carnival over to RCL Harmony for our October cruise! 🤣 

19 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

Carnival has upped their game with Mardi Gras.

Looking forward to experiencing Mardi Gras next month. Only 52 days (14 hours, 49 minutes...) to go. Not that I'm counting. 😁

2 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

This is actually one of the reasons we don’t cruise NCL. They take up way too much of the sun deck doing this concept and you feel the crowds more outside of Suite area.

All the more reason to avoid the crowds and remain in the peaceful Haven area. 😁

On 5/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, sailor05 said:

Drink package included!

No, no and more no. If they include this the cruise price will reflect it. It would mean my 5 free drinks for being D+ would be useless. 

• Like 3

I would like to see a bar on board that specializes on bourbon and whisky like the MS Koningsdam Cruise Ship with more than 120 bottles of whiskey from around the world – including more than 60 Scotch whiskies along with a ton of Bourbon whiskeys. Vintages is never that busy and whiskey and bourbon is the new craze.

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I would like to see a bar on board that specializes on bourbon and whisky

NCL has this on some of the newer ships (Bliss, Joy and I think Encore, and may be on others), called Maltings, I think it's primarily whiskey...

• Like 1