Emerald Azzurra Anyone?

FlossieC

12 hours ago, Salbags58 said:

I would love to know if drinks are expensive as only included with lunch a dinner?

thanks 

Daughter’s experience included wine and beer at mealtimes. I asked her about other drink pricing and she said “we didn’t buy any separately so I’m not sure … I think not outrageous.”

10 hours ago, cellfree said:

Daughter’s experience included wine and beer at mealtimes. I asked her about other drink pricing and she said “we didn’t buy any separately so I’m not sure … I think not outrageous.”

Thanks for replying. Hopefully more information will come as more will travel on this ship

7 hours ago, Salbags58 said:

Thanks for replying. Hopefully more information will come as more will travel on this ship

Yes it is a very new Yacht. One thing she did mention was that the last two days (they went from Dubrovnik to Athens) were fairly rocky, much more than their Scenic River Cruises in the past. She is not prone to seasickness but was somewhat “uncomfortable” and continued to feel the motion once disembarked. All that to say, perhaps make sure you have Dramamine should you need it. 

4 hours ago, cellfree said:

Yes it is a very new Yacht. One thing she did mention was that the last two days (they went from Dubrovnik to Athens) were fairly rocky, much more than their Scenic River Cruises in the past. She is not prone to seasickness but was somewhat “uncomfortable” and continued to feel the motion once disembarked. All that to say, perhaps make sure you have Dramamine should you need it. 

You can't compare an ocean cruise to a river cruise for smooth ride.  On a river cruise you never even know the ship is moving.

2 hours ago, Its me again said:

We will be sailing on the Emerald Azzurra 30th July so will provide some feedback after.  Staying in Rome two nights before and Nice two nights after.  Can't wait and the countdown is on.

That's great news -  beginning to think it's a Ghost ship as not much activity.  Really look forward to your reviews.  Have a fab trip

Wondering if anyone else has reached out to the cruisecritic help desk to ask them to create an Emerald site.  There are people sailing now on the Azzurra that might want to post something.

I’ve written to the cruisecritic help desk but haven’t heard back yet.

Don P.

Lakewood Ranch, FL

I had a few questions for folks that may have traveled on the Azzurra.  (I am traveling in late August.)  

1.  Is there a place to store emptied luggage under the bed (or elsewhere)?

2.  Is it ok to have any "extra fee" snacks and drinks removed from the refrigerator? (I'm assuming "yes".)

3.  Are COVID tests done daily? (I'm assuming "yes".)

4.  Is there any entertainment at all?

5.  Is the self-service laundry complimentary?

6.  What happens when you are tendered near a port and you don't have an excursion booked?  Are you able to be tendered to the port (even at night)?

7.  Are the e-bikes available for use when you are in port (and are they complimentary)?

8.  Is the pool and jacuzzi open at night?

Thanks so much....Ron

On 7/14/2022 at 7:08 AM, Breeze1234 said:

I had a few questions for folks that may have traveled on the Azzurra.  (I am traveling in late August.)  

1.  Is there a place to store emptied luggage under the bed (or elsewhere)?

2.  Is it ok to have any "extra fee" snacks and drinks removed from the refrigerator? (I'm assuming "yes".)

3.  Are COVID tests done daily? (I'm assuming "yes".)

4.  Is there any entertainment at all?

5.  Is the self-service laundry complimentary?

6.  What happens when you are tendered near a port and you don't have an excursion booked?  Are you able to be tendered to the port (even at night)?

7.  Are the e-bikes available for use when you are in port (and are they complimentary)?

8.  Is the pool and jacuzzi open at night?

Thanks so much....Ron

I can answer some of your questions, having just gotten off the boat last week.

1. Once you empty your luggages, the room steward/ess will store them under the bed for you during 1st night's turndown.

2. We didn't ask, but there's no reason why they would not.

3. For our cruise, the testing took place only prior to check-in.  I do not know what happens if you test positive.

4. There is a program director and a guitarist/singer (Very good, btw), but nothing along the lines of production level shows.  There are generally nightly gatherings either in the lounge (name that tune/ trivia night) or on the pool deck (dance party) depending on the event. 

5. Laundry Self serve is complimentary and dispense their own detergent. You just choose your setting and press start.

6. Guests signed up for excursion at tendered ports will be sent out at the appointed time. On one morning, participants set out in a special tender before everyone else, but we're talking about 8:30 AM. There's rarely competion to get on a boat, and I think there are 2 in operation so it goes pretty quick.

7. E-Bikes are complimentary. We signed up for them the day prior and had no problem securing 2. In a tendered port, they will already be waiting for you on the dock.

8. I didn't use the pool or spa at night, so can't answer this question. What I CAN tell you is that dinner is served "fine dining" style starting 7-9PM, so usually takes a long time to finish. Not sure anyone is thinking about taking a dip after being so well-fed.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:42 AM, cellfree said:

I can attest to that. we had 2 rough nights and it took everything I could muster on the 1st occasion (and a Bonine) to keep from losing anything. The 2nd time around I was fine.  It WAS fun watching everyone (including the crew) walking as if drunk.... 

10 hours ago, AnnYM said:

I can attest to that. we had 2 rough nights and it took everything I could muster on the 1st occasion (and a Bonine) to keep from losing anything. The 2nd time around I was fine.  It WAS fun watching everyone (including the crew) walking as if drunk.... 

At last a review...  Thank you Ann YM

What are your overall feelings about your trip on Azurra would you do another?

Any comments on the Food, Age groups and general ambience of your trip.  

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with specific information!  Curious about your travel to the ship; specifically flights, being picked up at your port of origin and taken to hotel or ship.  We’re sailing on 9/3/22 and are staying at the hotel in Dubrovnik recommended by Emerald.   

Don P.

Lakewood Ranch, FL

Given the present issue with lost and/or delayed luggage we were quite pleased to learn that self-service laundry is available.  We are packing much differently as a result.  Our total stay will be 11 days with pre and post days before the sailing.

Thanks to learning that self-service laundry is available onboard we will pack our carry-on luggage with enough clothing to last for three or more days.  Given our total number of days our check-in luggage will have more clothing but no essentials.

We are wondering if the boat also has an iron and ironing board?  We know that’s not common on most cruise lines but I do remember an 11 day sailing we did on Oceania which provided self-service wash and iron options.

To answer the question - Would I recommend? The short answer is Yes! (though you must keep in mind the perspective of someone who has only cruised 2xs in my life, once in '79 (as a teen on the Oceanic) and 2011 (Carnival Legend).

There were a few kinks that will work themselves out over time. You must be willing to abide by the strict dining hours.  Room service is complimentary only for the large suite passengers. The price tag is steep for a frugal traveler by nature who has always researched carefully before committing to anything.  This was a "blind buy" perhaps because of my "temporary state of insanity" brought on by the pandemic 😁😇.  My mind is still reeling over the price tag, but I will say that it was the most satisfying trip I've ever taken and a great value if you factor in all the inclusive. It definitely felt like luxury travel - they certainly made us feel like it. As one reviewer said - when there are only 100 passengers and 68 crew, what do you need a private butler for?

The crew is thoroughly professional, English speaking, and international. We saw our stewardess daily and she came in to introduce herself and share information with us. The dining room staff learned early on if we have any preferences or dietary needs, with a few exceptions. When we encountered an issue in the room, it was addressed (not immediately but it WAS addressed). With a maximum capacity of 100 passengers (50 rooms at double occupancy), it really feels like a small community.

Food - Dining hours are posted each day. We rarely had to wait in line for anything, except personalized egg in the morning because there was only 1 person manning the eggs station, but you can have the self-serve scrambled eggs without the wait. The abundance of variety is so great that I stopped eating eggs after the 2nd day. I love how the chef offered local foods, especially fruits and cheeses, and everything is fresh and artfully arranged. You can customize and they will do their best to accommodate - if they can't do it alternatives would be offered. The chef is out greeting guests at lunch daily, supervising and collecting feedbacks.

Servers will come around to inform you of final calls when the stations are closing, and as I've noted in my previous response - evening dining is taken at a leisure pace, so don't plan to eat and run.

Excursions - I thoroughly enjoyed participating in all the included excursions, from climbing Kotor's city walls and attending the afternoon guitar concert to visiting Butrint and guided tour of Delphi. The quality of all the tour guides were first rate and highly insightful. The only excursion I had to pay for was the afternoon jeep tour in Corfu and for $160 PP, it was a worthwhile investment.

Age Group and Entertainment - I just turned 60 this year and there were definitely more passengers that were older than younger, though there were a few that appeared to be in their late 20s and early 30s.  Given the price tag ($4862 Balcony Deck 5 on Super Early Bird fare), this is understandable.  Since this was the inaugural season sailing, several among us (I later found out) were travel agents that came to get some first hand experience. I don't think I heard any negative feedback, even among the veteran travelers.  As previously stated - don't expect productions. There is a program director that acts as emcee on game shows in the lounge that I only attended in passing. There is also a very good guitarist/singer, who also serves other duties among the crew when not providing music. Everyone that was there seemed to really enjoyed it. I am usually too tired by the time I'm finished with dinner to want to participate (also not the party going type) and DH doesn't dance. When I was on the Carnival cruise, I never attend any of the shows onboard.

Transfers - If you are not staying pre/post nights independently, Emerald will transfer you directly between the ship and the airport. Otherwise, you are on your own. We were taken to the ship from Dubrovnik airport but had to take a taxi to our hotel in Athens because I booked independetly.

Lastly - Laundry room - Yes, there are ironing boards.  There is also a clothesline in the very generous-sized shower stall.

I hope this helps.

Edited by AnnYM
  • Thanks 2

Wow!   Thank you so, so much for your super comments! They help tremendously!  A few last items:  Were the drinks at the bar expensive?   Is ice available if we want to have a drink in our room?

Thanks so much!

Ron

We hav been on 100+ cruises ranging from river cruises to the mega liners.  It has taken us over 40 years to achieve that number!  I think your comments are excellent.  You have given us insight as to what we can expect onboard.  It sounds very much like our experiences on the river cruises we have done in both France and Germany.  Quiet, intimate lounge with soft background music until the dinner hour(s) ended and then a performer or two.  We once had our room steward and ship staff perform some music comedy…..amateurish but definitely entertaining.

We’re looking forward to it.

Don P.

Lakewood Ranch, FL

P.S.  Thanks for letting us know there is an iron!

Edited by Don P

2 hours ago, Breeze1234 said:

Wow!   Thank you so, so much for your super comments! They help tremendously!  A few last items:  Were the drinks at the bar expensive?   Is ice available if we want to have a drink in our room?

Thanks so much!

Ron

So glad to be helpful! I've seen a bar list pre-cruise, but not sure how accurate it is. I'm personally happy to have the 2 wine/beer/soda quota at lunch & dinner. It's more than I need. They offer still and sparkling water with your complimentary beverages. We were erroneously charged 2 ginger beers at a meal, so I can tell you that they were $3.50 each. Currency on board is based on USD.  Alcohol pricing varies but maybe comparable or just slightly higher than what you might expect to pay at fine restaurants.  Hand-brewed espressos & cappuccino at the pool bar are complimentary, and you have access to coffee  machines in the 2 lounges that also brew espresso and caps (using real milk). We have gotten flatbreads as snacks and dined separately in the dining room for lunch.

We never requested ice for our room but you can go to the bar and ask for some. And if the bar tender isn't on duty, any staff will do it for you (as I have done a few times). It was great.

Also, your room steward/ess will refill 2 tall glass bottles with filtered water each time they come in to make up or turn down your room. (Enjoy!)

Edited by AnnYM

8 hours ago, skyhoosier said:

Yes, thank you!  We are leaving this week for the Rome to Nice leg and good to know the extra things you answered.  How dressy were the ladies at dinner?  I am just at that part of packing....

Dressing levels vary but most try to appear nice (but not too formal). I brought a washable dress and a skirt to be able to allow for variations. I also wore a pair of “proper” stretch jeans (I.e., no holes or fraying) and nice top once with a pair of sandals. Although there were a couple of women in flashy clothes, comfort appears to be the primary guiding factor for most. 

Edited by AnnYM

On 7/22/2022 at 1:13 PM, Don P said:

We hav been on 100+ cruises ranging from river cruises to the mega liners.  It has taken us over 40 years to achieve that number!  I think your comments are excellent.  You have given us insight as to what we can expect onboard.  It sounds very much like our experiences on the river cruises we have done in both France and Germany.  Quiet, intimate lounge with soft background music until the dinner hour(s) ended and then a performer or two.  We once had our room steward and ship staff perform some music comedy…..amateurish but definitely entertaining.

We’re looking forward to it.

Don P.

Lakewood Ranch, FL

P.S.  Thanks for letting us know there is an iron!

Thanks for the reassurance , Don P! CC has been a great resource of info for me so I’m glad to be able to contribute and help. 😊

Thanks so much for the "dress code" info!  My bet is that the guys wear long pants and a nice shirt (no tie, no jacket, no shorts).  Let us know if this is the case.   (I'm guessing I can wear my shorts for lunch.)  Thanks so, so much!  Ron

AnnYM,  we are originally from Central Jersey.  Wondering what you thought of each port of call?  We’ve been to Dubrovnik and Kotor, but not Albania.  Also have been to Corfu, Kefalonia and Athens. We absolutely loved Kefalonia!  Have never been to Parma and Itea (Delphi).  Our choosing this cruise was based on seeing these new places.  Did you enjoy your ports of call?

Don P.

Lakewood Ranch, FL

Hi, yes, we just completed a cruise on the Emerald Azzurra from Athens to the Greek islands, a couple of ports in Turkey, and back to Athens. I just wrote a very comprehensive review of it, but it may be about 24 hours before it is published. So check again tomorrow. If you have any questions, let me know. I had a hard time finding any information prior to my cruise so I tried to be very detailed in my review. Look for my review to show up in the next 24 hrs. 

22 hours ago, AnnYM said:

Dressing levels vary but most try to appear nice (but not too formal). I brought a washable dress and a skirt to be able to allow for variations. I also wore a pair of “proper” stretch jeans (I.e., no holes or fraying) and nice top once with a pair of sandals. Although there were a couple of women in flashy clothes, comfort appears to be the primary guiding factor for most. 

I think you can be very casual on this cruise. We mostly wore shorts and even for dinner we did not get dressed up, just smart casual. But still if you wanted to wear shorts and a tank, no one would have said anything.