The Daily for Monday 05/09/2022

richwmn

Today is Lost Sock Memorial Day, Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day, and National Women's Check-Up Day

When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable.--Jess C. Scott, The Intern

Meal Suggestion for today - chicken arugula cacio e pepe
Drink of the Day - Double Razzmatazz Grape Martini
Wine of the Day - Jacques Bourguignon 2020 Pinot Noir (Vin de France
Destination of the Day - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 05/10
Nieuw Statendam   Destination Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Cruz eta 05/10
Oosterdam   Destination Katakolon, Olympia, Greece eta 05/10
Rotterdam   Oslo, NO eta 5/10

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico

Noordam   07:00 - 14:00

Juneau, Alaska

Eurodam   13:00 - 22:00
Koningsdam   13:00 - 22:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Zuiderdam   10:00 - 18:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Los Angeles, CA US eta 5/10

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Zaandam  

0509World.thumb.png.c51ccd1937dfac23ea9254b7200d2b8c.png

0509Alaska.thumb.png.cc2e648a82ef75c0e78ffc5134c1455c.png
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Happy Monday!  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another nice spring day here, sunny and a forecast high of 22C (72F).

Love the days.  Where do those socks go?  I think I tore the tags off my mattress years ago.😉  A good reminder to have a check-up.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.   Hope the drink and wine are good too.

Thanks in advance for all the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 32

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  A special salute to Women's checkups while the other 2 days sound pretty whimsical.  I love the quote.  I've been to UAE but not to AbuDhabi.  Ill wait for @dfish on the menu.  My alternative is Sweedish Pork Medallions with Apple Mushroom Compote and Lemon Tart with Blueberry Ice Cream, the Mariner Brunch on my 2019 Nieuw Statendam transatlantic.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.64c6fb81215b787890ff3543e4491737.JPG

Getting quite concerned that we haven't heard from @kazu recently.

Today’s care list:

Mr. Boston’s neighbor sudden death
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Horizon Chaser 1957 in covid quareantine
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Grapau27 awaiting knee xray May 10
From the rotation:
RIP Jose 5/1 and strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Ukraine
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
9 BHB with guests
Sea Viewer brother visiting until May 12
Cruzin Terri headed for Assisi
StPeteCruiser in Venice
jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy in Rome or homeward bound
baltic7 (Zuiderdam to 5/11), Ancientwanderer (Eurodam to 5/14),   leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15) and Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone.

Today is looking like a wonderful day here in northeast Ohio with sunny skies and temperatures in the 70s.  I have a few errands to run after the pool this morning including getting a new gas canister for the grill.  I had enough to do my salmon and brussels sprouts last night, but I have chicken marinating that I will want to grill up today or tomorrow.  

Today's meal means chicken with arugula, cheese, and pepper.   The key is to use some of the pasta water to help make the cheese and pepper sauce.   The first recipe doesn't call for the chicken, but you can easily shred some rotisserie chicken into the mixture after making the cheese and pepper sauce. Don't like arugula?   Use spinach instead.   https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/cacio-e-pepe-with-arugula-and-lemon/

1278107375_chickenarugulacacioepepe1.thumb.jpg.3ae502c91c7ed0c6e20efb7968fc257c.jpg

Here's a version with chicken in it.  https://www.copymethat.com/r/wRpyIFlxd/best-chicken-and-arugula-cacio-e-pepe/

1713715512_chickenarugulacacioepepe3.jpg.2cf8db82deb7d5ef4b94e3e3786e8167.jpg

In this recipe they use lemony blackened chicken.   https://www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/lemon-cacio-e-pepe-with-blackened-chicken

1358373958_chickenarugulacacioepepe5.jpg.4b50ff77da82b1e9f636a60c4088212b.jpg

This last one uses bacon instead of chicken but there is no reason you couldn't use them both.  https://morgandeboestjulson.com/blog/2018/11/4/bacon-arugula-cacio-e-pepe

1266877533_chickenarugulacacioepepe4.thumb.jpg.7088df13264ee4d077ea7eb1a6b4613c.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.  Welcome home Ann @cat shepard.   We've missed your wine reviews, but you take the time you need before you jump back in.  Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon.

59°F and cloudy here.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you for today's lists and my inclusion Roy.

Interesting days and quote.

The meal sounds nice but I will give the drink a miss.

We have been on 3 Emirates cruises from Dubai and visited Abu Dhabi each time.

We were in the large Abu Dhabi Mall when the news of the Costa Concordia disaster came through.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. Sunny and cool here today.  Thank-you for the daily dose.  Where do those socks run off to?  Can’t be bothered with mattress tags.  Women’s check ups are very important.  I like the quote.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but I’ll pass on the drink.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Happy _________ to everyone celebrating today!

• Like 30

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 

I hope the FBI doesn't catch up with me for years of tearing tags off mattresses and furniture. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good especially @dfish idea of adding bacon.  Yesterday I ordered four monitored tests from Optum.  Based on recent updates I want a set for turn around in Montreal just in case.  If we don’t need then we can use them for November.  Today is nice and sunny although a bit cool.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 27

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday. Still waiting for Sue's Hu-Mom's Day gift from Sam to be shipped. I spotted something online last weekend and ordered it only to find their cutoff for shipping was the week before!

I tried yesterday to include a link of the Trieste Harbor webcam showing the Oosterdam but was flagged by the moderators. It was finally approved late yesterday. I know that there are a few Dailyites  that enjoy that.

Have a great week!

- Jack

• Like 17

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Trouble posting yesterday as I included a link.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 26

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

When my children were little I would wash there socks in mesh laundry bags to make sure I didn't lose them. Speaking of mattress tags... DMIL's new bed is being delivered this afternoon. A good reminder for all women to make sure to get their checkups and that I need to change doctors again due to moving.

I like the quote. The meal sounds great.

Roy, @rafinmd, I was thinking the same thing regarding Jacqui last night. Did you do yesterday's Roll Call?

Welcome home Ann, @cat shepard. Take your time getting settled back in at home. We miss you, but you need to take care of yourself.

It is 73 here with a high of only 76 and fairly low humidity. Hoping to make our next break a walk on the beach, but we do need to finish painting DMIL's room before the bed arrives.

Wishing everyone a marvelous Monday. Remember to 😊.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Double Razzamatazz Grape Martini:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Grape Schnapps
1 part DeKuyper® Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part Pinnacle® Raspberry Vodka
1 part Lemon-Lime Soda

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 8.05.49 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good Monday morning.   I need to cut the tags off my Ruggable rugs, my mattress can wait.   Only 2 people in the house pretty easy to keep socks straight.   I had my check up last week.    The wonderful quote is so true.  @dfishThanks for coming up with a recipe with bacon.  I would enjoy that one.   Will pass on the drink and I prefer US Pinot Noir.   I am looking forward to everyone's photos of Abu Dhabi.   

Prayers for all on Roy's care list.   Prayers for Jacqui and all that she is going through. 🙏 When I lost my husband I didn't go on Facebook for a year but  the Daily is more affirming than everyone else's fun and happy photos.   

I enjoyed everyone's photos of their Moms.  I will share one.  Yesterday was full on gardening since we had good weather for once.   Thanksgiving 1988.   

Dad Mom Nancy Thanksgiving '88.jpg

• Like 31

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

I thought I would start the week off right and try to post after the prodding by @rafinmd 😉 but I’m not going to quite follow Rich’s theme today if that is ok.  Warning this is going to be a long post 😬  Since you have all been with me on this 5 month journey…..

I know some of you watched the service and I am appreciative that you chose to join us.  For those that did, you heard me speaking Spanish (or trying to) to Jose and his family.  Here is the translation:  
“hello & greetings to the Ledezma family in Mexico from Canada.  Thank you for being here.  Forgive me for this sad Cinco de Mayo & my Spanish as it is not very good.  I grieve & suffer with you.  Jose, my pekonio you will be in my heart today, tomorrow & always.  I love you very much.  Good bye my love - Go with God” (pekonio is an affectionate term in Spanish - I was pekonia - LOL)

Jose was cremated, and after separating some of his, the dogs’ ashes were mingled with his so they can all be together.  The cards on his flowers on each side from me:

90A2CF20-0449-4580-8F7F-F3648E8D8F29.thumb.jpeg.4750dd8d50093c5e2274ead5e9b410f9.jpeg

I have no words to thank you all who have been so kind and supportive over the last 5 months.  So much kindness from the Daily - ites.  You have helped support me and I will never forget it.  

There were some CC friends that did some very special things for me and I would like to thank  them (and I hope I didn’t forget anyone):

Dixie @summer slopeis a very skilled card maker & sent me beautiful cards on a regular basis to cheer & buoy me up.  Somehow her cards always arrived when I was a worst moment and they meant a lot to me. Thank you ♥️ 

Georgina @gigiannea dear friend who called me constantly checking up on me and was such a huge support.  She was a rock I could cling to when it felt like I was drowning in the new waters I found myself. Her cards & words meant so much to me.

Gerry @ger_77 was another rock for my on the phone & FB messenger and let me vent, cry, when I needed.  She sent me sympathy cards when I lost each dog and when she heard I lost Jose:

1C67C530-A7C7-494B-B787-C2A001C8EF89.thumb.jpeg.7ebeea995c3e4ba55e7dda013903d5be.jpeg

Gail @1of4 A skilled seamstress and purse/bag maker (she made me the bag you see me with on my cruises) decided I needed a new bag and something to cheer me.  She sent me a gorgeous bag made of cork:

769C72DC-9768-4D39-8434-F227075A5E07.thumb.jpeg.7618a1db7b34818ffd624638225e8271.jpeg

Upon hearing of Jose’s death:

7A38EF2E-7EEB-449F-B090-1775B19AE197.thumb.jpeg.45bd513604348de9b03e468dad093b2e.jpeg

Susie @SusieKIslandGirlA skilled quilter who makes comfort quilts for a hospital and trauma centre decided I needed comfort.  Her gorgeous quilt and touching note arrived the day after Jose’s funeral.  Her note brought tears to my eyes.

974E5E5E-30D2-443E-8A4A-804A48268592.thumb.jpeg.465b91025c0439ebe6abc21afcdd02f2.jpeg

02CC6159-B055-40E6-8A01-60065388B8A7.thumb.jpeg.8dcce75f1903becec9eea46f2afbe27c.jpeg

Roy @rafinmd thank you for your kind donation in memory of Jose and of course, for stepping in to do the Bon Voyage threads for me.  

Carole @mamaofami& Brenda @bennybear - thank you for all your caring & supportive emails over the last 5 months.

I have never cruised or met some of the people I have mentioned so the extent they reached out to help hold me up is amazing.  

My sincere thanks to you all.  God bless you for your caring, support and patience.  I am on a new journey now and while things will be difficult I will try to post on the Daily every day 🤞 

• Like 46
  • Thanks 25

It was a busy weekend. On Saturday morning there was a different co-officiant, a member who sings professionally. Her vocal range was more compatible with mine, but she paused at the end of every line and I began to wonder whether she was trained to church choirs, as it's typical to pause like that in hymns that are in common meter, which is most of them, but is contrary to the sense in many of our texts. I inquired later and it turns out that one of her regular gigs is at a church.

The concert Sunday night was wildly successful, in every respect except the total attendance -- even with the covid restrictions in effect at the venue, we could have seated more. Here's a sample of the band's work (with a larger ensemble than for the tour): https://youtu.be/xM5Nm1TUVG0. One couple came from Cleveland, a 4.5-hour drive, to hear them. A volunteer sound engineer came from State College, where he had graduated from Penn State the day before.

The end was bittersweet. Not only was it the last concert of their U.S. tour (which was their first since 2019; we had booked them for 2020), but one of the leaders announced at the end that she was retiring from touring, at least for the foreseeable future.

I had cooked dinner for the band after the concert; as a result, I didn't get home until 11:15 p.m. Here's the main course:

Chickpea and Tahini Casserole

This has a pleasant creamy consistency even though it contains no dairy products. Vegan and gluten-free.

2 medium white onions, chopped

2 Tb olive oil

1 Tb garlic powder (or equivalent in fresh garlic)

¾ cup tahini

½ cup water

1 Tb dried oregano

1 Tb dried basil

1 Tb ground cumin

2 Tb dried parsley (or equivalent fresh)

1 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like it)

1 tsp ground cardamom

6 cups cooked brown rice (2 cups raw rice cooked in 4 cups water)

2  cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 large can petite diced tomatoes, undrained

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°.

Sauté onions (and garlic, if fresh) slowly in olive oil until onion is translucent.

Mix tahini and water until well mixed. Set aside. Spray 9×13 pan with olive oil.

Place cooked rice in pan. Spread onion mixture over it; arrange rinsed, drained chickpeas over both. Sprinkle on all the spices. Pour tomatoes over everything (don’t drain tomatoes). Stir gently to mix.

Add tahini mixture, stir again.

Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until top begins to brown. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake 5 minutes more.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  I'm happy to see Jacqui @kazujoin us this morning.  The translation of your comments at the service brought me to tears again today.  It will be a slow process adjusting to your new routine and life.  I hope you do stop here every day because we missed you a lot.  ❤️

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily!  I agree women's check-up day is important, and mine was one month ago.  Luckily I've never been a sock loser.🧦  I believe my mattresses still have their tags on them.  Wouldn't want to break a law!  The chicken dish sounds good and the quote is nice.  I have been to UAE but not to Abu Dhabi.  We had that port listed here June 9, 2021.  Thanks for any photos posted.  Do you have any from your visits, Graham @grapau27?   Interesting about you being there when the Costa Concordia had its disaster.

Roy @rafinmdthank you for the Care and Celebration lists.  Bright and early I said my prayers for everyone on the list, my nieces and nephew, and the poor Ukrainian people.  Also cheers to our Celebration list because everyone needs something good to happen in their lives to help get us through the rough times.  🥂Welcome back Ann, @cat shepard.  You have missed too!

Have a great day my friends!  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Monday morning.   I need to cut the tags off my Ruggable rugs, my mattress can wait.   Only 2 people in the house pretty easy to keep socks straight.   I had my check up last week.    The wonderful quote is so true.  @dfishThanks for coming up with a recipe with bacon.  I would enjoy that one.   Will pass on the drink and I prefer US Pinot Noir.   I am looking forward to everyone's photos of Abu Dhabi.   

Prayers for all on Roy's care list.   Prayers for Jacqui and all that she is going through. 🙏 When I lost my husband I didn't go on Facebook for a year but  the Daily is more affirming than everyone else's fun and happy photos.   

I enjoyed everyone's photos of their Moms.  I will share one.  Yesterday was full on gardening since we had good weather for once.   Thanksgiving 1988.   

Dad Mom Nancy Thanksgiving '88.jpg

Nice photo with your mam and dad.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm pretty sure one day scientists will discover a black hole in space that is filled with single socks.  Where else could they go?  The last mattress we bought (a Simba) had a sewn-on tag, so it's staying.  Women need to be reminded that we should go for regular check-ups.  Often we're too busy taking care of others that we neglect our own health.

Welcome back @kazu and @cat shepard, you were missed.  Both of you know that this is a safe place to come to whether it's daily or only occasionally, as you check in to see what the rest of us are doing.  My prayers are for both of you as you find your way through the days ahead.

Yesterday was a nice Mother's Day with flowers, dinner,  telephone calls, and lovely sunshine.  We did have one glitch though, as we attempted a second try at assembling the chairs for the new patio conversation set.  It didn't matter how we tried, the screws and openings just wouldn't line up - after an hour of frustration with both of us trying to get things done, I called the garden centre and told them we were returning the whole set.  We disassembled the settee, put all the pieces, along with the cushions, into the back of the SUV and left them at the store.  I told DH maybe next time we'll pay an extra couple of hundred dollars and get the thing assembled and delivered.  He didn't disagree.  LOL   Now we have to shop for another set; we'll see what happens.

I like today's quote; you really do feel safe when you hear someone you love talking about you.  If the drink of the day isn't too sweet, I think I'd add it to the list of "must try" on a BHB.  I'm not sure about the price of today's wine, but it sounds like something I would like to sample.  

I think we would enjoy today's menu suggestion, but part of today's plan involves heading to Costco with DH's daughter, so we'll be picking up a rotisserie chicken and I'll have to figure out what else to serve with it.  Hopefully there will be some asparagus and baby potatoes that I can toss into the air fryer to serve as sides.  So, it's looking like a roast chicken dinner on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for @kazu and @cat shepard, as well as the rest of our Daily family who are dealing with health issues and family struggles.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine who remain strong in the face of great adversity.  We'll raise our glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2