The Daily for Monday 05/09/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

@kazuIt is wonderful to see you post again. I pray that posting might prove to be therapeutic for you. Many of us here have walked in those shoes and the journey is long and difficult. Any time you feel the need to cry there are many shoulders here to cry on.

I found that having a formal Grief Share or Grief Recovery Group was very helpful. If you have such a program in your area, whether sponsored by church or hospice please consider attending.

God be with you

Jane 

Thanks Jane. 

I will look into it.  I joined a group on FB on a friend’s suggestion where caregivers share their problems.  I never posted.  I found it depressing and got out.  

But hopefully this will be different.  I will look into it - if there is one here.  I don’t trust myself to drive very far so if it’s in the “big city” I won’t be going.

Thank you.  I appreciate the tip.

• Like 24

Buona Sera from Rome.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.  

I especially like Cacio e Pepe—a typical Roman dish.  I have been in Rome since Thursday and have had it twice already and I am sure I will have it again.  The problem is, i have tried to make this dish at home so many times without success.  All I get is lumps.  Lots of them.  It is not smooth and creamy like it should be.

@kazuI am so happy to see you here posting again.  I watched the service later than at the regular time because of the time difference.  it was a lovely tribute to Jose.  I pray for you daily that each day will get easier as time goes by.

Well today we went to Assisi.  We had a beautiful day with lots of sunshine (Thank you St. Francis) and warmth.  It was probably about 73 degrees.   We visited all the religious sites.  My favorite is the Church of Santa Maria dei Angeli, which houses the Portiuncula.  This is the little chapel that St. Francis built with his own hands when he heard a voice from God telling him to “build his church.”  I love this place and this is where I prayed for each of you who contribute to the daily.  

We also visited the Basilica of St. Francis, the Basilica of St. Clare and the Church of San Damiano.  We had a lovely lunch in a local restaurant

We had the same driver as we did on Saturday.  His name is Vincenzo.  He works for RomeCabs.com and is really a nice guy.  We enjoyed his company so much.  

We could not have asked for a nicer day.

I hope everyone here had a good day.

God bless and stay safe.

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Some photos from today:

1) Jim and I with the Basilica in the background

2) The Portiuncula

3) St. Francis Basilica

4) Courtyard of San Damiano

5) Statue of San Damiano

3340B9BD-4A68-4221-A0A1-65BD5394F2BA.jpeg

54F996CA-932F-4C81-BBF9-84D4C40D3E34.jpeg

306027D6-359A-4B32-B62F-508C9BDA029C.jpeg

2DED62A9-8BEE-4400-8078-53C7EE96DCEB.jpeg

08C72668-EF6D-492C-B343-CC2247BD4643.jpeg

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

31 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

The problem is, i have tried to make this dish at home so many times without success.  All I get is lumps.  Lots of them.  It is not smooth and creamy like it should be.

Cook the pasta in a minimal amount of water so the water gets really starchy.  Make sure to stir frequently because you are using less water.

Freshly grate the Pecorino using a fine grater.

Slowly whisk reserved water into butter off heat.  Let rest a few minutes; resting allows it to cool enough so that the cheese doesn’t seize when added.

Gradually whisk cheese into butter water.   Keep whisking. Don’t put all the cheese in at one time.   Keep whisking.  Turn heat very low.  Keep whisking until cheese is melted. This step usually takes me about 5 minutes.

Now it’s time to add the pasta to the sauce.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good especially @dfish idea of adding bacon.  Yesterday I ordered four monitored tests from Optum.  Based on recent updates I want a set for turn around in Montreal just in case.  If we don’t need then we can use them for November.  Today is nice and sunny although a bit cool.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

Hopefully we won't need tests for turnaround. Will we need the ArriveCan app for that trip?

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Cook the pasta in a minimal amount of water so the water gets really starchy.  Make sure to stir frequently because you are using less water.

Freshly grate the Pecorino using a fine grater.

Slowly whisk reserved water into butter off heat.  Let rest a few minutes; resting allows it to cool enough so that the cheese doesn’t seize when added.

Gradually whisk cheese into butter water.   Keep whisking. Don’t put all the cheese in at one time.   Keep whisking.  Turn heat very low.  Keep whisking until cheese is melted. This step usually takes me about 5 minutes.

Now it’s time to add the pasta to the sauce.

Thank you so very much.  I will try it when I get home.  I love this dish and have so much trouble with it.  I will print this as soon as I get home and save it with my recipes.

Terri

• Like 18

54 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Some photos from today:

2) The Portiuncula

3) St. Francis Basilica

5) Statue of San Damiano

Your photos are beautiful!  I'm so glad you had an enjoyable visit there today and hope the weather holds up for your remaining stay.🙏

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Your photos are beautiful!  I'm so glad you had an enjoyable visit there today and hope the weather holds up for your remaining stay.🙏

Thanks so very much.  I take that as a real compliment from someone who posts beautiful photos every day.

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Some photos from today:

2) The Portiuncula

3) St. Francis Basilica

5) Statue of San Damiano

Nice photos Terri.

You both look well after your recent illness on board your ship.

Graham 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 

I hope the FBI doesn't catch up with me for years of tearing tags off mattresses and furniture. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

well you would be in jail with millions of others.

ha ha

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, gdy0354 said:

Hopefully we won't need tests for turnaround. Will we need the ArriveCan app for that trip?

As things stand today I believe that we need to use ArriveCan app.  On the HAL site they state that they will provide testing for turn around day for those staying on board.  I’m getting tests just in case they change the policy.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Some photos from today:

2) The Portiuncula

3) St. Francis Basilica

5) Statue of San Damiano

Beautiful pictures, Terri.  It looks like you have got a lot of your energy back.  How are you feeling?

BTW, Pat's favourite is spaghetti carbonara, he always picks that in Rome, but I'm sure cacio e pepe would be a close second,  as he puts pepper on hie carbonara...   

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Beautiful pictures, Terri.  It looks like you have got a lot of your energy back.  How are you feeling?

BTW, Pat's favourite is spaghetti carbonara, he always picks that in Rome, but I'm sure cacio e pepe would be a close second,  as he puts pepper on hie carbonara...   

Thank you for the compliment on the pictures.

I am feeling somewhat better and the sunshine today helped a lot.  A nice change from all the rainy days.  

Cacio e Pepe is a real treat.  It is the ultimate Roman dish.  We are going to my favorite restaurant tomorrow and you can be sure that I will order it.  Pat should give it a try.  

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Cruzin Terri, are you starting to feel better with more energy?

Roy

I am doing a bit better. Today I felt pretty good. Not as tired.  Maybe the sunshine helped a bit.  However, I still have very little appetite.  There is a scale in our hotel room bathroom and I weighed myself.  I lost 7 pounds.  Notice how baggy the slacks are that I’m wearing.  Jim has lost weight too, although he has been eating well lately. 

I appreciate you asking.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Terri.

You both look well after your recent illness on board your ship.

Graham 

Thank you Graham.  We are starting to feel better.  Need to get my appetite back.  Not a good way to diet.

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gdy0354 said:

Unless the rules change, the way I read them is yes, you will need ArriveCan.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

As things stand today I believe that we need to use ArriveCan app.  On the HAL site they state that they will provide testing for turn around day for those staying on board.  I’m getting tests just in case they change the policy.

Agree completely, Jake.

• Like 13

I have no idea where any pictures are, (I admire all of you who are so organized)  and wouldn't know how to post them anyway. Just wanted to say we spent a week in Dubai and a week in Abu Dhabi. Dubai was amazing to see, but we enjoyed Abu Dhabi more.  It was easy to get around.  The Big Bus has a good tour. We went to the Emirates Palace and walked along the beautiful waterfront. The Grand Mosque is beautiful, and should be seen. The old fort was undergoing renovations so we didn't get to tour it.  We did a Dune Bashing tour in the desert, with dinner and entertainment after. The week went by much too fast. I was surprised to realize that the two emirates are so close together.  You really can't tell when you drive out of one, and in to the other.  And, for the Canadians. there were several Tim Hortons!  

• Like 14

What I thought would be an easy day was busier than expected.  I did a little weeding of clothes and straightened several drawers.  Now, I have two boxes to take to the thrift store tomorrow.

I have needed a haircut for the last week or so, but kept putting off getting an appointment.  The place where I've been going for about 15+ years closed last fall.   It survived the lockdown but not the prejudice.  The owner, who bought out the original owner in 2019,  is a legal immigrant, and over time the clients and then the stylists started leaving.  The owner and one stylist are now working at a place near me, but my stylist is working at a place I have avoided since we moved here in 1999.  Now, I'm torn about where to go.  I planned to get an appointment some place for Friday, but today, I realized I could not wait that long, so I gave my self a haircut.  At least, DH didn't say anything about it looking horrible. 🤣  Now, I have a few weeks to decided where to get a good haircut.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad you had such a nice Mother's Day with your

family.

@travelnap  Thanks for solving the mystery of the extra lids. 😉

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you enjoyed your day in Assissi.  Thank you for the great pictures.  I'm glad you both are feeling better, and I hope your appetite returns soon.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hello and Good Evening!

So good to see Jacqui @kazu and Ann @cat shepard back on the Daily.  I can't imagine the grief you both are going through.  Prayers, thoughts, and positive vibes coming your way.

I had a busy day with DM and double appointments, shopping, and lunch.  But it was fun and we had a good time.  Her dental appointments are requiring many visits.

@VMax1700 -- I, too, am following along on my Navigator App and saw tonight's Silver Gala Dinner.  So nice to see a version of shrimp cocktail on the menu!  I've been taking pictures of each day's menu in anticipation.  Can you repost the Trieste webcam link?  Somehow I missed it.

Have a good night everyone!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you enjoyed your day in Assissi.  Thank you for the great pictures.  I'm glad you both are feeling better, and I hope your appetite returns soon

Thanks, we really did have a great day.  Trying to eat better each day. 

Terri

• Like 6