Don't be afraid to try things on your own!

If I may just jump in to assure you that without a doubt you will miss something. Even with a super guide you will only be able to brush the surface. By all means get a guidebook and decide what you must see, then start communicating with a guide now--explaining what is important to you.

Maybe the reason that I loved Naples so much (and I'm still sticking by that Hank!) was that after two days with a private guide checking things off the "must see list" we just needed time to stop and smell the expresso.

The best thing we did was research totally before we went, reading everything we could find (including revisting some of our old lit books), then for most ports letting instinct take over.

I'm glad we had guides for Livorno and Rome...I got to climb the Tower in Pisa, see David's naked butt and whirlwind through Rome. This time the only "must see" for us are Saqquara and Giza--so we have a guide, everything else will be in the moment.

Another thing to put your mind at ease (really this time) is we find it easier to do things on our own in Europe than in the Caribbean. Public transportation will take you just about anywhere you want to go, or in some places renting a car is an option (like Santorini). Just do your homework and ENJOY.

But for some reason, Rome, Florence, & Naples terrify me. Not because of physical security, but scare me in that I am going to miss seeing something and I won't get the chance to do it again.
A third voice to say the same thing: You will miss heaps. For each of those cities, you need to set aside between two and four weeks to have a reasonable assurance of seeing all the major sights. One day is simply not going to do it. You need to manage your expectations about what you can see during a day that's necessarily going to be short because of the arrival and departure times of the ship.

Oh, I realize I am going to miss so much! It's not possible to see everything in the 10 hours we're in port. I just want to hit a few of the "BIG" things in my mind. I already realize we won't get to see the original David - we're in Florence on a Monday when the Academy and the Uffizi are closed. I am disappointed about that.

Okay, all the experts out there, please help me with our day in Nice. My TA recommended we visit St.Paul de Vence, Old town of Nice, and Monte Carlo. Any thoughts on how exactly we get from the port to St. Paul de Vence. Will we be able to find a cab easily? Is there a bus? A train? Thanks in advance!

Do a search here for lots of advice and reviews about exactly what you can do in these ports. Where are you docked? We were in Villefranche and the train station was an easy and very pretty walk. Read about the area and decide where you want to go. As an off the beaten track traveler we really wanted to walk down the Nietzche path from Eze and then went back for a swim. Read and watch travel programs about the area. My other thought is when during your cruise is this port. If it is near the end you may be tired and want a somewhat down day, by planning to do things by yourself and having several options in mind you have the freedom to go with the flow.

Also look at the website portreviews, there are details with pictures for DIY in most ports.

Now I know this is a thread about the Med, but we are going to the Baltic and have a stop in Warnemunde for Berlin. We would like to do it on our own, but, as usual, we are concerned as it is over 3 hours away by train. We are in port from 6am to 11pm and would really like to go on our own. Can you give me directions or suggestions about how to go about it? I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has done this.

Hank:

I enjoy your expertise on the med. I have a day in Olbia and will probably be looking for a down day (between Naples and Rome). You mentioned a beach called Costa Smerala? Is it close? Walking? I have teenagers so what is the clothing (or lack thereof). We wil be there on Sunday June 10. Any help is appreciated.

John :)

Estebofarr - Suggest you go over to the Northern Europe & Baltics forum and use the "Search This Forum" tool - there's lots of info on DIY from Warnemunde there and lots of posters who are doing Baltic cruises this summer who may have done some research and be able to offer advice.

Hank (or anyone else with expertise)....

Do you have any tips, suggestions, etc. for either Berlin, Dresden or Prague? We may be doing a river cruise and are looking for anyone experienced in visiting any of these cities. Hotel suggestions, tours, guides, "do not miss", etc.

Looking forward to comments. :D

Hi,

my family has cruised a few times, usually beach destinations. This June we are traveling with friends on the Disney Magic for their 11 night Med cruise. We have always done stuff on our own, but europe is harder and more expensive! More specifically, do you have any comments about visiting Pompeii and Capri during the port day at Naples. We thought Pompeii by public transportation in the morning, then the hydrofoil to Capri and a boat tour in the afternoon. Is this too much for one day?

Also, would you recommend the ship tour or private driver/guide for Rome, or public transportation and tour guide only while in the city? Marseille,olbia and Palermo seem to be pretty simple, and I thik we will explore on our own in Villefranche. Any suggestions for Florence and Pisa?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer

Hi all,

and a special hi to Hank (Suzie here from the Galapagos trip board on Celebrity!)

We will be going on Oceania in August of 2008, and would love to get recommendations for private guides in a few ports. Who do you recommend for the following:

1.) Amalfi/Positano: we have been to Pompeii, so just for the coast and small towns

2.) Haifa,Israel

3.) Rhodes,Greece

4.) Rome (should we take the cruise ship bus into Rome and get a guide to meet us there?

We have plenty of time for making arrangements. I already have a guide for Egypt booked.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I travel with my daughter, and she will be almost 21 at the time of this trip.

Suzie

sprovo@gmail.com

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Europe in October and are planning on doing all of the ports on our own except Rome where we have a private guide. Someone could make a mint by taking pictures of all the ports and landmarks along with step by step directions of what to look for to find the bus and train stations. It would be nice to know if its a five minute walk or a 30 minute walk etc. And to make sure that you don't pass it by! I'm doing the research on the different ports and usually you find take the train and it might even say which train....but how far is the station and how do you find it?

This guy has done a pretty good job, in my opinion. He has photos and very indepth directions.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome.htm

Amazing! This thread seems to have no end (what idiot posted the original topic)...(smile). Regarding the question on Berlin, Dresden and Prague I cannot help since we have never been to any of these cities (Prague is in our future plans). As to Olbia its been a few years, but I guess that island hasn't changed much in many centuries. When we docked in Olbia, it was in an ugly commerical port that was pretty isolated. We used it as a beach port and simply took a cruise line shuttle bus to a nearby beach (I do not recall the name of the beach). I recall many liked doing the ship's tour that was a cataraman tour to the Emerald Coast (Costa Smeralda). These catamaran tours used to include a beach stop. The Costa Smeralda is not one particular beach, but an entire region that has many beaches along its coast line. It is not within walking distance of the port. As to Suzie, I cannot help with Haifa (would love to go there some day) but can sure help with the other ports. The Amalfi Coast is wonderful (we spent a week last year at a hotel in the small town of Praiano), but its a challenge for a cruise port (particularly from Naples). If you are on a cruise that tenders in Sorrento, its much easier as a day trip. Here's the problem. It takes nearly an hour to get from Naples to Sorrento. From Sorrento to Amalfi can take more than 1 1/2 hours...which is very dependent on traffic. The Amalfi Drive is a 2 lane road, and it can get very very congested around Positano...which makes it difficult to estimate the time needed for a trip. If you want to do the Amalfi Coast (this included Positano) than there are not a lot of options. You could rent a car (this is what we like to do) but I do not recommend this option unless you have a lot of experience driving in Italy. You could hire a car/driver/guide for the day, which is probably the best option assuming you can find a decent driver/guide (I cannot help with this). The other possiblity is to go to either Sorrento or Amalfi and than use the local SITA bus that runs between the two cities. This is cost effective and can be quite an experience, but in high season it also has its problems. The bus only runs about once every 45-60 minutes, and it can be very crowded (standing room only). We actually got so frustated trying to see the Amalfi Coast on cruises that last year we spent a full week in the hotel at Praiano (5 miles East of Positano). The third option is to simply take the tour offered by your cruise line. My problem with this last option is that many of these tours do not give you much time in places like Amalfi or Ravello. So, if you really want to do the Amalfi Coast in a day, than try to pre-arrange for a private guide..and start saving you Euros to pay the fare. There are others on this board that can steer you to the better drivers.

......Rhodes - Very easy port to do on your own. You will dock on the edge of Rhodes Town and you can walk to anyplace in both Old or New Town. This island is very large (would take at least a week to see the place) but its a great beach island. There are many beaches from commerical (hotels, restaurants, bungee jumping etc) to totally private and they can be close to the Rhodes Town to a good hour drive depending on what you want. As to Rome, here is the thing. The cruise line bus will probably cost you about $75 per person and take about 1:15 each way. Or, you can take the free shuttle bus (its free because its offered by the port authority) from the ship to the port entrance...than walk about 10-15 min to the station, and than you can take the train into Rome (depending on the train its about an hour) for about $20 round trip(not sure about the current fare). If you take the train, you might want to e-mail your guide and get advice on which train station you should use in Rome. Most go to the main Termini Station, but there are many advantages to using the other stations such as S. Pietro or Trastevere. If you are meeting a private guide/driver you need to firm-up the best station and the exact meeting area...keeping in mind that the main Termini Station is huge (several blocks long). One final piece of advice to all my fellow travelers. Having just returned from Euope (2 weeks ago) I was reminded about the very weak dollar coupled with the inflation caused by conversion to the Euro. Whatever your budget, I suggest you "bite the bullet" and increase your estimate. You don't go to Europe every week, so just prepare yourself to spend the extra money and try to ignore that you might need to mortgage your home on your return.

Hank

So, it looks like I need to start the tour guide Euro fund!! I got a lead on a guide for Amalfi/Positano after I posted, and have booked him. Not cheap, though. We will be in port from 8am to 3pm, and am happy to have connected with him this far in advance, as he comes well recommended!

I'll see what we can do in Rome. A few years back I found a company for Berlin called Nick Gay's Walking Tours, and the guide was fabulous; we took the train in from Warnemude, he met us at the train station & we spent hours walking around Berlin. Saw the big tour bus go by several times. We felt so happy to have been able to actually go up and see everything, and not just do a drive by!! I am wondering if Rome is as walkable? Anyone have an opinion? If it is, I'll look for a similar guide service in Rome.

Suzie

thanks Hank for this thread.

We are sailing from Venice on Rotterdam in October - 25 days to Rio. We consider ourselves independent travellers as well but there are a couple of places we've decided to do the HAL thing, mainly three hour trips so we can get a taste and then do our oen thing for the rest of the day.

I've copied Heinbloed's instruction for train from Civ-Rom return and we intend to go down to Ostia Antica form Rome. Have you been here and thoughts if you have?

Monaco, Barcelona and Valencia are all do our own thing days. We are going up to Seville from Cadiz with HAL shorex. I investigated doing this by train as for Rome but time and timetables got the better of us.

We are visiting Valetta full day and Messina half day. We've booked HAL shorex that we can easily cancel if you think these are doable on our own in the available time - tours booked are 'mysterious' megaliths (sounds so corny) and Taormina and greco-roman theatre

thanks heaps

pete and al

http://www.touringmalta.com/malta_guide.htm

In 2004 we were in Malta for the day on a cruise on Holland America's Westerdam. We used Joan Sheridan as our private guide. I just googled her, and came up with the above link. She was absolutely fantastic!!! We had the chance to go to the Hypogeum, a world heritage site that only allows 10 people in per hour;so the big tours can't go there. What an incredible experience!!! We saw Mdina, Valletta, the St.John's Co-cathedral, we had a lovely quick lumch, and also had a chance to see the fishing village. All this and still a bit of shopping time!! I highly recommend her.

Suzie Provo

http://www.touringmalta.com/malta_guide.htm

In 2004 we were in Malta for the day on a cruise on Holland America's Westerdam. We used Joan Sheridan as our private guide. I just googled her, and came up with the above link. She was absolutely fantastic!!! We had the chance to go to the Hypogeum, a world heritage site that only allows 10 people in per hour;so the big tours can't go there. What an incredible experience!!! We saw Mdina, Valletta, the St.John's Co-cathedral, we had a lovely quick lumch, and also had a chance to see the fishing village. All this and still a bit of shopping time!! I highly recommend her.

Suzie Provo

thanks for the link Suzie, we'll have a read and look Joan up

pete and al

Newfarmers, I cannot help you with Ostia Antica, but I would sure like you to post your experience when you visit this town. If you have good things to say we would include it on a future visit to Rome. Valleta is pretty easy to do on your own, since the town is actually a short (but lots of steps or a steep hill) walk from the pier. I am not familar with the Megaliths, and when we got an island tour with some locals they never even mentioned the place. Once side trip from Valleta is the Mdna, which is the old quarter of town. If you go on your own, you might want to grab a taxi to the Mdna (there is a nice cafe located on the top of the walls overlooking the valley below) or even use a local bus. Malta is a very friendly island and English is understood by many on the island. As to Messina, I always give a strong recommendation to going to the hilltop resort town of Taormina. Since its about an hour from Messina, you need to either use an excursion, rent a car in Messina, or take the train (this is a bit complicated since the train station lies on the coast below the city). I understand you already have plans, but wanted to mention the options for other readers.

Hank

I'll see what we can do in Rome. A few years back I found a company for Berlin called Nick Gay's Walking Tours, and the guide was fabulous; we took the train in from Warnemude, he met us at the train station & we spent hours walking around Berlin. Saw the big tour bus go by several times. We felt so happy to have been able to actually go up and see everything, and not just do a drive by!! I am wondering if Rome is as walkable? Anyone have an opinion? If it is, I'll look for a similar guide service in Rome.

Suzie

Suzie,

We have booked a day's walking tour with Vatican Art Walks in late July. I was quite taken with the website and email communication... very positive and upbeat. It's google-able. I'll be sure to post information on our return about Scot and his company since I've not seen lots of walking tour guides recommended here. He's going to meet us at the train station and spend about 7 hours with our family of four (including 2 teens) before we return by train to port.

I, too, wanted to walk up and see the sights instead of snapping a photo from a moving window. I also wanted to be able to look around me instead of constantly checking a map!

Hi all,

(Suzie here from the Galapagos trip board on Celebrity!)

Did you go on Celebrity to the Galapagos? We're thinking about that trip but worried about size of their ship (small but still too big?) Thanks.

Galapagos was absolutely fantastic! The crew, the naturalists, the wildlife & places we saw were all remarkable. I highly highly recommend it. Hank was on this ship, too (although not at the same time as I was!)

The ship is perfect sized. Luxury and adventure all packed into one cruise.

Suzie

Newfarmers, I cannot help you with Ostia Antica, but I would sure like you to post your experience when you visit this town. If you have good things to say we would include it on a future visit to Rome. Valleta is pretty easy to do on your own, since the town is actually a short (but lots of steps or a steep hill) walk from the pier. I am not familar with the Megaliths, and when we got an island tour with some locals they never even mentioned the place. Once side trip from Valleta is the Mdna, which is the old quarter of town. If you go on your own, you might want to grab a taxi to the Mdna (there is a nice cafe located on the top of the walls overlooking the valley below) or even use a local bus. Malta is a very friendly island and English is understood by many on the island. As to Messina, I always give a strong recommendation to going to the hilltop resort town of Taormina. Since its about an hour from Messina, you need to either use an excursion, rent a car in Messina, or take the train (this is a bit complicated since the train station lies on the coast below the city). I understand you already have plans, but wanted to mention the options for other readers.

Hank

Hi Hank

Thanks for the reply. We'll make sure we post a review of cruise/ports/tours when we get back so if the Ostio Antica plan happens we'll be sure to include. Suzie has recommended a guide in Malta who we'll contact as well. We've got no problems cancelling for better alternatives. We'll be sticking with our HAL shorex for Sicily then.

What are your thoughts for Barcelona (there till 11pm) and Valencia?

thanks from Oz

pete

I posted this request on the Oceania board, but want to pick your brains here,too!

When going to Rome for the day, what is the best, reasonably priced and most reliable (time-wise) transportation in from the port? We want to do walking tours of the city, but need to know how long it takes to get in and out of Rome, and if anyone knows what the required back on board time is for an 8pm departure.

I called Oceania and the person I spoke with said 2 hours before departure, then kept changing her story. I was so confused I gave up asking her to explain herself. First she said the Oceania bus would leave Rome at 5pm, then maybe 6pm??? So, if anyone has done this and really knows, I'd appreciate the info.

If train is best and quickest to get in, are the Italian trains reliable? We did this in Germany, but those trains run like clockwork, so we had no fear of missing the ship!!

Suzie