Should I pay for a beach in Bimini or find a free one?

maxshuty

Hi all, we are sailing on Carnival Liberty to Bimini in June. I have a question around the beaches and as we have not sailed to that port before I'm wondering if the free beaches:

• Are nearby the port? (From what I can tell online and through pictures there appears to be beaches there, but not sure if they are free)
  • Have restrooms and places to get some quick food nearby (we have two young kids so something easy is best)

For the paid beach excursions I have the same questions, but obviously if the free ones tick those boxes is there anything extra the paid beaches offer?

Be careful with the free beaches.

I have been researching Bimini for our cruise in September.

The one you can catch for free from the tram from the ship, I think it is Paradise beach, (not positive)

It has no facilities available, which was made abundantly clear in multiple videos I found on You Tube.

Also, one video mentioned they spent $75 to rent 2 longers and an umbrella from a vendor there. So unless you are a throw a towel on the sand all day person this might be a deal breaker.

Apparently there are other frree beaches on the island further from the port, but I haven't seen any mentions of facilities and such.

Only videos of the gorgeous looking beaches and that you needed to rent a golf cart to get there.

Best of luck in your research. I'm hoping somebody that has been there has other options,

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There are five us, and our game plan is to take the tram to Resort World and grab a taxi to Radio Beach.  Taxi is $5 pp each way, so a total of $50, plus $10 total tips.  Once there, we will rent a couple of chairs and swim.  There appear to be small bars and restaurants there, so we will buy some drinks and use their facilities, and buy lunch as well. I am looking forward to conch fritters and conch salad.  The prices are much more reasonable than RW and we will be helping out the locals.  I plan to do a short review after visit next Sunday. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, taxi from Fisherman's Village, the last stop on the tram loop before it heads back to the ship.  I didn't go to the beach at Resort World, but talked to several on the tram who did.  Their general response was that "it's a beach" and some felt kind of ripped off to pay $40 pp to use the beach and pool.  However, for people who prefer a resort over a local beach, I am sure it is lovely. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 6:42 PM, lazydayz said:

We had a great time at Radio Beach.  I posted a review and am happy to answer (or try to answer, LOL) any questions. 

Glad you had a great time.  How much were the chairs and umbrellas to rent at Radio Beach?

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 2:24 PM, lazydayz said:

However, for people who prefer a resort over a local beach, I am sure it is lovely. 

More concerned that every vidro I have seen from last Septmber in Bimini had everybody talking about lots of Jellyfish in the ocean at every beach and one of the videos said they were told by locals that it happens every September.

So if the ocean will be unenjoyable due to jellyfish, I'd like a pool option if neccesary.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bguppies said:

More concerned that every vidro I have seen from last Septmber in Bimini had everybody talking about lots of Jellyfish in the ocean at every beach and one of the videos said they were told by locals that it happens every September.

So if the ocean will be unenjoyable due to jellyfish, I'd like a pool option if neccesary.

We were there in June and did not see any jellyfish.  With the water as clear as glass, you could see fish just walking down the pier.  When we were on the tram, they were trying to sell passes to the pool. Either way, hope you have a great day in Bimini. 

Yeah seemed like in the videos the jellyfish swarm in September. But that was just reports from the only September cruisers have been there, so not positive if it is a yearly jellyfish migration or last year was a fluke.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 2:24 PM, lazydayz said:

Well, taxi from Fisherman's Village, the last stop on the tram loop before it heads back to the ship.  I didn't go to the beach at Resort World, but talked to several on the tram who did.  Their general response was that "it's a beach" and some felt kind of ripped off to pay $40 pp to use the beach and pool.  However, for people who prefer a resort over a local beach, I am sure it is lovely. 

HI! I've been on the tram from taking the fastferry from Florida, but Fisherman's village is the first and last stop - did they not stop there first before heading into resort area? or did they skip it and you had to go through the tram route before getting off there?  I'm not sure if it's different when it's a real cruise ship... (not a huge deal, just curious 🙂

I tried to find your review, but can't... I hope you enjoyed Radio Beach!
Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibble said:

HI! I've been on the tram from taking the fastferry from Florida, but Fisherman's village is the first and last stop - did they not stop there first before heading into resort area? or did they skip it and you had to go through the tram route before getting off there?  I'm not sure if it's different when it's a real cruise ship... (not a huge deal, just curious 🙂

I tried to find your review, but can't... I hope you enjoyed Radio Beach!
Thank you!

They skipped it so we had to do the full route, so they could try to sell us a resort pass for $40 pp.  We loved Radio Beach.  I will try to find my review and move it back to the top.  

I've been to both Radio Beach and Resort World Beach.  We rented a golf cart.  It was very easy to do both as the island is very small.  Radio Beach was much prettier....like postcard perfect!  We did see lots of jellyfish but they don't sting.  I actually held them in my hands.  They are called moon jellyfish.  We went to Resort World parked our golf cart and walked down to the beach without paying.  The Resort World beach was packed.  Like hundreds more people than at Radio Beach.  You can see the ship from both beaches.  

Regarding the jelly fish…was there yesterday…8/9/22.  Tons of jellyfish and they DO sting….we have the welts and itching to prove it.  We had access to Resorts World and also rented a golf cart & stopped at other spots that were also loaded with jellies.  Glad we had the pool use at resorts world.

btw, if you do rent a golf cart, I strongly DO NOT recommend BMB Rental Carts.  Extremely rude staff and the carts were barely operable….kept breaking down in the middle of the road.  Otherwise it was a decent way to get around although not much to see really.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 1:22 PM, lazydayz said:

They skipped it so we had to do the full route, so they could try to sell us a resort pass for $40 pp.  We loved Radio Beach.  I will try to find my review and move it back to the top.  

Yeah, I could see them doing that... Thank you for the info, I'd be really confused otherwise 🙂

Went to RW in Sept 2021 and had a lovely time with DH in our chairs with an umbrella.  Held a jellyfish in my hands (maybe the moon one) and had tasty drinks from the bar.

April 2022 went to RW, sat in a clamshell on the deck near the restaurant with my mom.  I swam in the water.  Split a sizable chicken quesadilla and had a great afternoon.

Maybe someday we will make it to Radio Beach👍

ninjacat, did you get the RW pass w/lunch through the ship or buy lunch on your own once there?

Saw a you tube video that mentioned the ship charged a $25 upcharge for lunch, but then when they got handed the menu at RW it stated on the menu, anything on there was $15...(so basically Carnival pocketed $10 per person)

2 hours ago, bguppies said:

ninjacat, did you get the RW pass w/lunch through the ship or buy lunch on your own once there?

Saw a you tube video that mentioned the ship charged a $25 upcharge for lunch, but then when they got handed the menu at RW it stated on the menu, anything on there was $15...(so basically Carnival pocketed $10 per person)

Both times I booked through Carnival.  It included two chairs, and umbrella and a Welcome drink (a somewhat small plastic cup of rum punch) and the tram from the ship to Resort World. I haven't tried the lunch included with pool access.  Our chicken and cheese quesadilla was $16 but big enough for Mom and me to share.  I brought waters and purchased a bahama mama (I think) which was in a bigger cup for $12.  I felt we got good value for what Carnival charged ($50 for two, I think) and having a bathroom accessible is a big plus to me.

Yeah no bathroom access at the free beach kind of killed that for us too.

Plus now that we are both having minor mobolity issues, pool area might be better than a solid day on the sand.

The pool there looked very nice.

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 7:02 AM, lazydayz said:

We were there in June and did not see any jellyfish.  With the water as clear as glass, you could see fish just walking down the pier.  When we were on the tram, they were trying to sell passes to the pool. Either way, hope you have a great day in Bimini. 

Did you find seashells on Radio Beach?

7 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Did you find seashells on Radio Beach?

Be careful about the shells, I know in Nassau you aren't allowed to bring them aboard.

(mostly because people don't realize the conch shells in the Bahamas still have them inside, and you bring them aboard and the next  morning the cabin stinks to high heaven from the dried up dead conch inside)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CM1984 said:

…so for couples in their 70’s it sounds like Resort World would be a better fit?  Your thoughts, considering there is so much conversation here?

I would think so.  Both my DH and I (late 50's) and my mom (mid 80's) enjoyed the access to water and the facilities.  Service was friendly, though I was taking care of me and mom.  When it was DH and me, DH was my pool boy😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CM1984 said:

…so for couples in their 70’s it sounds like Resort World would be a better fit?  Your thoughts, considering there is so much conversation here?

We were a couple in our 50's and for mobility issues it was fantastic.

Ramps in most places (only 4-5 steps at most places.) wooden boardwalks running through the sand around the pools and close to the pools on the beach for ease of walking and being able to roll walkers and scooters if you needed.

They even had a mat that rolled right down to the water if the sand was too soft for some to walk on.

Plus 4 railings in each pool with large slightly sloped stairs to enter the pool.

Plenty of Loungers and umbrellas and other shaded areas. (sofas, clamshells, etc.)

The only thing that ruined an otherwise wonderfully relaxing day, was the DJ showing up and started playing 2000's thumping dance music after 10AM. (we even knew in advance he would be at the end of the right hand pool when we entered and we went as far away as we could. To no avail)

The only song we knew the entire day was Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It" from the 1990's.

Just "THUMP< THUMP< THUMP" all day. (one song finally started slow and I joked where was the Thump and 5 seconds later, there it was)

If you enjoy current, autotuned, thumping dance songs, you will probably LOVE IT.

If not, it might lessen your enjoyment on the day, but the place is so nice it won't kill it.

If you have any specific questions I will try and answer them for you to see if this excursion would be a good fit.

Edited by bguppies

1 hour ago, bguppies said:

We were a couple in our 50's and for mobility issues it was fantastic.

Ramps in most places (only 4-5 steps at most places.) wooden boardwalks running through the sand around the pools and close to the pools on the beach for ease of walking and being able to roll walkers and scooters if you needed.

They even had a mat that rolled right down to the water if the sand was too soft for some to walk on.

Plus 4 railings in each pool with large slightly sloped stairs to enter the pool.

Plenty of Loungers and umbrellas and other shaded areas. (sofas, clamshells, etc.)

The only thing that ruined an otherwise wonderfully relaxing day, was the DJ showing up and started playing 2000's thumping dance music after 10AM. (we even knew in advance he would be at the end of the right hand pool when we entered and we went as far away as we could. To no avail)

The only song we knew the entire day was Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It" from the 1990's.

Just "THUMP< THUMP< THUMP" all day. (one song finally started slow and I joked where was the Thump and 5 seconds later, there it was)

If you enjoy current, autotuned, thumping dance songs, you will probably LOVE IT.

If not, it might lessen your enjoyment on the day, but the place is so nice it won't kill it.

If you have any specific questions I will try and answer them for you to see if this excursion would be a good fit.

Both times in Bimini, we did the "chairs and Umbrella with welcome drink"  and didn't have access to the pools.  I didn't notice the music very much from the pool area.  Maybe we were far enough away.

• Like 1