Mobility Scooter Rental Miami

LadyBeBop

This is going to be lengthy. I don’t know what to do. 
I have knee problems, and I take steroid shots in my right knee. I’m a candidate for knee replacement surgery, but I’m hoping to put it off for another couple of years. 
Last Saturday, the 21st, I fell in concrete and hurt my knee. I took a steroid shot that Monday. But it’s still painful to walk, a week later. We leave for a 4-night cruise next Monday, the 6th. Freedom of the Seas out of Miami. And I’m thinking about renting a scooter. 
But I cringe at the logistics. 
We fly into FLL on Sunday, and we will Uber to the Intercontinental Hotels. The following day, we will Uber from the Intercontinental to the ship. I’m not worried about our ports of call, CocoCay (which is pretty assessable) and Nassau (if I venture out, I’ll stay near the ship). I’m just worried about disembarking. We have a (to me) too-close-for-comfort flight out of FLL on Friday morning. (My adult daughter made the reservations, and she said it’s makeable.) We will take a taxi from the pier to FLL. 

I know I can reserve a scooter and they’ll deliver it to me on the ship. But they give a delivery time of 2 PM. We have an early check-in time of 10:30. I’m hoping to be on my third Pina Colada by 2. 
And where do we drop off the scooter. We are doing early disembarkation, and we want to be on our way to the airport as early as possible. 
I think I can manage without the scooter. But it would be easier with it. As always, many thanks. 

Depending on whom you rent from (Scootaroud or Special Needs at Sea, both have large South Florida presence), they may offer you dockside pickup and drop off. If so, it takes about 45 seconds to do either. “Hi! I have a reservation. Name is. Smith. Here’s the reservation number and my ID. Great! Here’s your device. Charger is in the bag (always check to be sure). Please drop your scooter back here when you’re done. Happy sailing!”

And on return, you roll up, they acknowledge the return, and you’re done.

You can’t split- It has to be either cabin pickup and leave, or dockside.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, LadyBeBop said:

I know I can reserve a scooter and they’ll deliver it to me on the ship. But they give a delivery time of 2 PM. We have an early check-in time of 10:30. I’m hoping to be on my third Pina Colada by 2. 
And where do we drop off the scooter. We are doing early disembarkation, and we want to be on our way to the airport as early as possible. 
I think I can manage without the scooter. But it would be easier with it. As always, many thanks. 

We have rented scooters from both Scootaround and SpecialNeedsatSea.   The scooter was always in our stateroom when we boarded pre-covid (we always boarded as early as we could).   Except a couple of times when the scooter was waiting for us outside the terminal, which is where we had to return it.  However, since cruising has restarted we have had several times that the scooter was not in our stateroom until 2ish.   We actually called the rental company on these occasions and we were always told that it was on its way, and we did get the scooter later.  

Your instructions from your rental company will tell you where to pick up your scooter and where to leave it after the cruise.   Typically, you pick up in your stateroom and that's where you leave it when you disembark on the final day.   And on the last day, don't leave the scooter anywhere except where your documents say to leave it or you will be assesed a fee.

If you rent from Scootaround, I've attached page 1 of Scootaround's confirmation for a cruise we will be on in June so you can see the wording about where to pick up the scooter.   

And we're usually on our third drink by 2pm, too  😁

001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 1:56 PM, kokopelli-az said:

We have rented scooters from both Scootaround and SpecialNeedsatSea.   The scooter was always in our stateroom when we boarded pre-covid (we always boarded as early as we could).   Except a couple of times when the scooter was waiting for us outside the terminal, which is where we had to return it.  However, since cruising has restarted we have had several times that the scooter was not in our stateroom until 2ish.   We actually called the rental company on these occasions and we were always told that it was on its way, and we did get the scooter later.  

Your instructions from your rental company will tell you where to pick up your scooter and where to leave it after the cruise.   Typically, you pick up in your stateroom and that's where you leave it when you disembark on the final day.   And on the last day, don't leave the scooter anywhere except where your documents say to leave it or you will be assesed a fee.

If you rent from Scootaround, I've attached page 1 of Scootaround's confirmation for a cruise we will be on in June so you can see the wording about where to pick up the scooter.   

001.jpg

You posted somewhere in this forum an amazon link to a doorstop which I cannot find now.  I travel solo and will be renting a scooter in a non-handicapped cabin so will need it to hold the door open.  Hope you know what I'm talking about.  Thanks in advance.

Edit:  Never mind, I found it!  Thanks.

Edited by goofysmom99

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 10:52 AM, goofysmom99 said:

I travel solo and will be renting a scooter in a non-handicapped cabin so will need it to hold the door open. 

Please make sure the scooter you're renting will fit through the cabin door of your non HC cabin.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 12:56 PM, kokopelli-az said:

001.jpg

Did you go on the cruise in June?  I was wondering where/when you were able to get your scooter from Scooteround.  We are sailing on Carnival Horizon out of Miami next month and were wondering where we can pick up the scooter. We have a handicap suite booked so we know the scooter will fit .  Thanks for any additional information you can provide.

31 minutes ago, CrusinCyndi said:

Did you go on the cruise in June?  I was wondering where/when you were able to get your scooter from Scooteround.  We are sailing on Carnival Horizon out of Miami next month and were wondering where we can pick up the scooter. We have a handicap suite booked so we know the scooter will fit .  Thanks for any additional information you can provide.

We did go in June but this cruise was out of Fort Lauderdale. 

But the end of March we were on Royal Caribbean out of Miami and our scooter was delivered to the room.    It was not in our room when we boarded but arrived later.    Scootaround can let you know where your scooter will be delivered if they know your date of sailing and what ship you'll be on.       

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 9:52 PM, CrusinCyndi said:

There is a kiosk just before you enter the port at Miami where you will pick up your scooter.  That (IMHO) is so much better than having it waiting in your room, because you get to ride it all throughout the embarkation process rather than relying on wheelchair assistance.

Awsome!  Thanks !!

One more question please.  How easy is it to get a taxi to go from the port to a hotel near the airport?  We don't want to do Uber and after the cruise we are staying a day extra to relax. Someone mentioned private car service.  

Any information would be great ! 

11 minutes ago, CrusinCyndi said:

Awsome!  Thanks !!

One more question please.  How easy is it to get a taxi to go from the port to a hotel near the airport?  We don't want to do Uber and after the cruise we are staying a day extra to relax. Someone mentioned private car service.  

Any information would be great ! 

They are lined up waiting for you.  Very easy to get to MIA.  Private car service is too much.  If you need more room, get a taxi van if you don't want to use Uber XL.

13 hours ago, CrusinCyndi said:

All you will see when you exit the terminal is a sea of yellow (and other colors) taxis.   There is someone who coordinates the passengers wanting a taxi and the taxis.  You will see a line of people waiting for taxis and the line goes fairly quickly.   

Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Thank you everybody so very very much. It has been years since we sailed out of Miami. In past cruises we have taken the shuttle offered by the cruise line. Now hubby can't do the steps into the bus. A van or car is good for him now, and therefore the need for the scooter.  You all have been very helpful. One less thing for me to worry about !

• 1 year later...

Has anyone rented a scooter in Miami recently (late 2023-2024). We are sailing from Miami on symphony of Seas and wonder where they deliver it now (cabin or terminal) and where you return it to.  Any info would be helpful and I know things are always changing.