What Are Your Favorite Side Dishes you enjoy While Sailing on a Cruise........

BklynBoy8

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

LOL, Back in the 70s I did a three-week bus-camping trip around Australia.  We had baked beans on toast every morning at breakfast.  That was my introduction to the dish.

It's wonderful if made right.

Dad made it and I have it now the recipe for Baked Beans in a tomato BBQ sauce that was produced with Fat Back.

Biggest treat beside the White Beans he used in the recipe was the Juicy Tender Fat Back. We used to fight over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

But, why Baked Beans for breakfast?  There must be a cultural connection to the dish that I don't know.  

Just goggle it and says tradition that it

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

But, why Baked Beans for breakfast?  There must be a cultural connection to the dish that I don't know.  

Cheap protein, I imagine.  Nourishing, easy to acquire and store, especially historically when availability of fresh foods was limited.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Just goggle it and says tradition that it

I did and all I found were recipes.  If "tradition" is the reason, then, how did that "tradition" begin?  

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Cheap protein, I imagine.  Nourishing, easy to acquire and store, especially historically when availability of fresh foods was limited.

Could be.  I have a bit of English ancestry in me and my maternal Grandparents who were closest to that lineage never made Baked Beans for breakfast.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I did and all I found were recipes.  If "tradition" is the reason, then, how did that "tradition" begin?  

Unfortunately I found 10 references to tradition and commonly used...Sorry...

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately I found 10 references to tradition and commonly used...Sorry...

I appreciate your efforts.  Thank you.  I couldn't anything more than you did.  If I ever meet a citizen of England on a cruise again, I have a conversation starter with them.  

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I started a Baked Beans post in UK Cruising, The Pub,, to see if we could find some more answers.  We did!  Have a look.

Thanks for thinking of doing this!  What I have read has been interesting and want to research the "English Breakfast Society".  

Didn't ever realize that the Bacon we usually eat in the US was called "streaky bacon".  Makes sense, though.  

Heidi13 mentioned keeping some cans of British Beans on his shelf.  What are British Beans?  He mentioned the HP brand.  More searching needed. 

Henderson Relish?  That does sound like a bit of that added to Baked Beans might add a different flavor.  Maybe adding some Worcestershire Sauce to my next patch of Baked Beans might prove interesting.  

I will continue to follow this thread and see what else I can learn.  

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 3:54 PM, rkacruiser said:

My mother in law was British heritage from the islands.  Corned beef hash with a large helping of sweet baked beans was a staple.  She served it at dinner as a bow to my father in law but it is intended as breakfast.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1