Booking flights separately what happens if luggage is delayed?

Markanddonna

I'm considering flying from Tel Aviv to Rome and then from Rome to the USA the next day, so we would stay in a hotel overnight around FCO. What happens if my checked luggage is delayed from the first flight?  Does the first airline get your luggage to your final destination or is that only a service they will do if you book your two flights through them?   I'm thinking this effort to save $ has the potential to blow up if there is a problem.

2 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

If it's a separate ticket from Rome to the US, your luggage will be turning on the carousel in Rome indefinitely.

I don't think this is right, if the bags failed to make it on to the flight that they were tagged for and that the passenger flew on. AIUI, major (ie IATA) airlines will try to get the bag to you wherever you are.

That, after all, is what happens if your bag does not make it on to your flight to your embarkation city, you stay overnight there, and embark on the ship the next day (note: that would be on a separate ticket). If the airline has enough details, your bag will chase you throughout your itinerary. I once even had my bag come out on the pilot cutter to my (already sailed) ship.

22 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I don't think this is right, if the bags failed to make it on to the flight that they were tagged for and that the passenger flew on. AIUI, major (ie IATA) airlines will try to get the bag to you wherever you are.

That, after all, is what happens if your bag does not make it on to your flight to your embarkation city, you stay overnight there, and embark on the ship the next day (note: that would be on a separate ticket). If the airline has enough details, your bag will chase you throughout your itinerary. I once even had my bag come out on the pilot cutter to my (already sailed) ship.

The bags MIGHT be forwarded provided the ultimate destination is on the tags.  If the OP doesn't tell the agent at TLV about the second flight, or if the first airline's policies are not to interline bags on different PNRs, then the OP could get stuck.  

I had a long, long debate at TLV with Iberia on a TLV-xMAD-JNB itinerary; the IB agents at TLV (contracted, not Iberia employees) refused to tag the bags to Joburg, which would have meant going landside and re-checking them at Madrid.  Sometimes the agents are not as expert as we'd like.

On 6/9/2022 at 2:40 PM, Markanddonna said:

What happens if my checked luggage is delayed from the first flight?  Does the first airline get your luggage to your final destination or is that only a service they will do if you book your two flights through them?

4 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

The bags MIGHT be forwarded provided the ultimate destination is on the tags.  If the OP doesn't tell the agent at TLV about the second flight, or if the first airline's policies are not to interline bags on different PNRs, then the OP could get stuck.

But I don't think that the OP's question is about really about interlining or through-checking.

I agree that if the bag is through-tagged across the two separate tickets, then even if the bag misses the first flight it will get sent on to the final destination.

If the bag is not through-tagged and misses the first flight, then it's a different situation. The bag will only be tagged to Rome. But suppose the passenger is starting a road trip in Rome that goes through Switzerland and France on the way back to their home in London? The airline can't expect the passenger to stay in Rome and delay or abandon their road trip just to wait for the bag to turn up. The bag will get sent to London and delivered to the passenger's home.

Similarly, if the passenger is starting a cruise in Rome, the airline can't expect the passenger to miss the cruise in order to collect the bag. With enough information, the bag will chase the ship along its itinerary.

I can't see how it makes any difference if the passenger's next journey is another flight on a separate ticket.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 6:40 AM, Markanddonna said:

I'm considering flying from Tel Aviv to Rome and then from Rome to the USA the next day, so we would stay in a hotel overnight around FCO. What happens if my checked luggage is delayed from the first flight?  Does the first airline get your luggage to your final destination or is that only a service they will do if you book your two flights through them?   I'm thinking this effort to save $ has the potential to blow up if there is a problem.

If you land in Rome and your bags are not there the normal practice with most airlines is you give the ground crew working baggage the hotel or home address where we want them to delivery your bags once they are located.   Usually the airline will hire a delivery company or taxi to deliver the bags.  If that address happens to be in the US that is the airlines problem to sort out.  They will likely put them on an airline they have as an interline agreement with and arrange delivery to your home or hotel in the US.

Hotels are able to receive goods for guests.  If the bags arrive before you the hotel will usually make a not of it on your file and pass it on to you when you check in.

This should be obvious, but there are occasional comments that show that is not always the case:

This is but one reason to *ALWAYS* keep important papers and medications, etc., in your carry on luggage, and NOT put it in anything that gets checked.

Even with a single flight... a bag can still go astray...

We keep our meds (which seem to keep increasing relentlessly 😠) in carry on luggage that never leaves our sight.  Most of the time, one of us has "hands on" the key piece of luggage.

I suppose one of my concerns is that the way we are so "protective", someone might think we have the crown jewels inside.  It's "only" medicine, but it's medicine that would require us to delay or interrupt our trip if it disappeared...

And we keep redundant supplies.  There are some duplicates for some meds in other hand carried items as well.

GC

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 4:39 PM, GeezerCouple said:

This should be obvious, but there are occasional comments that show that is not always the case:

This is but one reason to *ALWAYS* keep important papers and medications, etc., in your carry on luggage, and NOT put it in anything that gets checked.

Even with a single flight... a bag can still go astray...

We keep our meds (which seem to keep increasing relentlessly 😠) in carry on luggage that never leaves our sight.  Most of the time, one of us has "hands on" the key piece of luggage.

I suppose one of my concerns is that the way we are so "protective", someone might think we have the crown jewels inside.  It's "only" medicine, but it's medicine that would require us to delay or interrupt our trip if it disappeared...

And we keep redundant supplies.  There are some duplicates for some meds in other hand carried items as well.

GC

Absolutely correct! Never pack ANYTHING in checked baggage that you might need if anything happens to your travel plans.  We have a very specific "menu" of items that we pack into our "go bag" backpack.

We were just on a Mediterranean cruise out of Rome.  Flying SAS from Newark to Oslo to Rome on the way there.  Flight Oslo to Rome flight was canceled.  We spent the day in Oslo airport and finally got a flight on SAS to Palermo and then Alitalia to Rome.  Our bags arrived on day 7 of a 10 day cruise.  We wore our same clothes for three days washing them in the sink at night until we reach a port were we could get some necessities.   The stores on the ship had nothing of use.  No bathing suits, flip flops or any size shirt other than XS or XXXL.

On the way home we flew BA Rome to Heathrow to Newark.  Our bags showed up at our house 3 days after we did and one of the bags was badly damaged. Fly direct if you can and carry as much as possible with you on the plane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 2:18 PM, Globaliser said:

But suppose the passenger is starting a road trip in Rome that goes through Switzerland and France on the way back to their home in London? The airline can't expect the passenger to stay in Rome and delay or abandon their road trip just to wait for the bag to turn up. The bag will get sent to London and delivered to the passenger's home.

Back in prehistoric times my bags were late getting to Rome. They delivered the bags (two days later, I think) to a hotel way the heck up in the mountains.

These days- who knows.