Tips & Orientation on Regent

Thank you @cwn

We’re stopping in Vietnam, Philippines and Malaysia and would love to get a few dives in. Bringing our travel gear (BCD and regulator kit) that fits into one backpack each. Couple of the trips offered by local shops return after our ship departure time; I’d likely  reach out and see if they can take us privately on our schedule or if they can customize for us.

Did a really nice dive in Vietnam a number of years ago off Seabourn. The dive master was a young woman who stood atv4 1/2 ft and weighed maybe 80 pounds. She was a firecracker!? Contacted the dive group privately and they worked around port times. We usually went private as the ship’s dives were to tame for my DH. I am envious of your dive opportunities…we miss it. Have fun.

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

Both scuba and snorkel offered when aboard Voyager, February-March 2014:  Sydney to Singapore, then beyond.  Venue was at Great Barrier Reef about a 45-minute catamaran ride from ship docked at Cairnes.  Did the snorkel.  Great fun.  About a third of our contingent did scuba.  

Cannot recall if anyone brought his/her own equipment, particularly if scuba.  Everything (including required complete wetsuit covering to mitigate any potential jellyfish stings) provided to participants.  Nice lunch aboard the barge following several hours' allowed for in-the-water adventure.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Context
  • Thanks 1

Yes Go Army,  that tour was offerred on our 2015 cruise to GB reef. Probably did the same ship tour, was very disappointed in the reef dive. Seen much better in the Red Sea and parts of Caribbean sorry to say. Also lots of inexperienced divers.
Yes gear is usually provided, but we always carried our own BC and regulator though. We have seen some sorry equipment in parts of the world like leaky valves etc and you don’t know until you get down. We could get all important  gear in the carry - on and our clothes in a checked bag. Loyalty with free laundry was our best friend when we were diving! The Polynesian Islands have some  nice dives also.

• Thanks 1

@cwn We’ve had some pretty dodgy loaner gear as well. On our first day of OWD courses I had a zip tie on my mouthpiece, my BCD was way too big (was given their smallest one) and my boyfriend had “purge button gremlins” where his second stage would just spontaneously purge without even touching it. Very bad. We had better equipment for the rest of the course thank goodness. After we splurged on our own gear it was like a dream come true. Fits perfectly and we know it works! 

Thank you for sharing your experience on connecting with providers on private dives. Will likely go this route! 

30 minutes ago, PatriciaF said:

Thank you so much for this.  We will be first time RSSC cruisers in March 2023.  So, from reading this and other places, no expectation from the cabin steward that he/she will get an extra tip?  

Correct....No Expectation.

• Like 1

Surprised by the “no tip” responses.  On RSSC we have always tipped both the butler and the maids.  We have only sailed on segments, not longer duration cruises.  Our friends who are long-term and cruise on RSSC and our cruise-based friends also tip the butlers.  Given the lack of income due to Covid cruise interruption, we were especially thankful for our care by our butler and maids by the end of our April RSSC cruise. Our standard practice continues in July on our RSSC cruise.  I think it is important to write that some persons do express extra “thanks”.  

1 hour ago, aventureux said:

Surprised by the “no tip” responses.  On RSSC we have always tipped both the butler and the maids.  We have only sailed on segments, not longer duration cruises…..I think it is important to write that some persons do express extra “thanks”.  

To each his own…..passengers should not be made to feel uncomfortable in their choice to tip or not by other passengers on Regent. The line’s policy is no tipping expected. Regent makes several ways available  to passengers to show gratitude for the work the crew does. Crew fund and comment cards.

If you use these methods the crew will know and thank you personally. So it is truly you choice.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for all this detail!  We are frequent cruisers but have mainly sailed RC and some Celebrity.  Your detail was very helpful in giving me an idea of RSSC onboard life. 

Thanks for taking the time to provide such detail

Edited by cindivan

Just to be a little more specific, I generally give a envelope to the purser for an amount to go to the Crew Welfare Fund. If you give it the day before disembarkation you will generally get a thank you note from the Executive Concierge. As noted above, this is a nice way to share for many of the crew.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wristband said:

Give to the crew fund.  You can contribute unused credits to the fund.  Tipping individuals is a personal choice but we don't.  Regent's policy is gratuities are included.  Or should I say "free?"  🙂

Be advised, some OBC can be contributed, but most can't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Be advised, some OBC can be contributed, but most can't.

Very true.  We had a credit balance due to some excursions cancelled (they had cost extra)…we donated it to cruise fund.  They deserved it. 

• Like 2

On our Splendor cruise in March, we said “thank you” to our butler and room attendant then also presented an envelope to the Crew Fund. They all deserved it after looking after us so well.

22 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

On our Splendor cruise in March, we said “thank you” to our butler and room attendant then also presented an envelope to the Crew Fund. They all deserved it after looking after us so well.

Question…who did you present the envelope to….purser?

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

Question…who did you present the envelope to….purser?

Yes just tell the office how much you would like to donate and it will be charged to you account or give them the cash envelope. Easy and the whole crew will benefit from your gift. It takes more than the butler, cabin steward and waiter to make your Regent cruise wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cwn said:

Yes just tell the office how much you would like to donate and it will be charged to you account or give them the cash envelope. Easy and the whole crew will benefit from your gift. It takes more than the butler, cabin steward and waiter to make your Regent cruise wonderful.

I went to purser for donation…I didn’t know if different if cash in an envelope.