NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND CLIFF WALK

Hi @joyandjerry

Self-guided tour – Newport

All dollar amounts shown are Pre Pandemic. 

Walk to Gateway Transportation Bus Station & Visitor Center.

Turn left (north) from the tender dock along America's Cup Ave.

Purchase an all day from RIPTA for $6 at the center.

Visit www.ripta.com for more info, maps, Pocket Guide to Newport, etc.

Bus #67 (trolley) takes you to the mansions.

Purchase a 2 house ticket @ $25.99pp from Newport Mansions Org.

Tour The Breakers and Marble House & Grounds -- plan on 1 ½ hours per mansion.

Both mansions have gift shops (at the end of the self-guided tour) for items to purchase.

Restrooms are available in the lower level.

The Breakers opens at 9 a.m. (Bus stop # 3).

Marble House opens at 10 am. (Bus stop #5).

If time allows check out the Cliff Walk (partial walk).  Access points are limited.

Take the trolley back to the Gateway Center.

Visit Bowen's Wharf and Bannister's Wharf.

Optional - Visit Thames Street (very short walk from the harbor) which has many nautical shops

Or take a walk near the harbor to view the sail boats.

Note:  The same Princess Tour was $84.95pp

John

Edited by John99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update on the Cliff Walk: A stretch of the iconic ocean side Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island has been closed to the public after a 20-foot (6-meter) section has recently collapsed. The walk is a major tourist draw offering breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean on one side and Newport’s Gilded Age mansions on the other. The Cliff Walk Commission in Newport announced the collapsed section of the treasured trail will continued to be closed for the rest of the summer.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, John! That is exactly the info I needed. Cruisers are the best! When I looked into it recently, I did see that some of the Cliff Walk was closed. We are not going until October, but I always plan (too far!) in advance.

@joyandjerry        The trail will continue to be closed for the foreseeable future from Narragansett Avenue and Webster Street.

Official Cliff Walk Map (provided by Discover Newport Org.):

The walk is 3.4 miles long.  The map legend shows 3 types of conditions:

Easy (paved)

Moderate (unpaved pavement)

Difficult (unpaved terrain with rock and boulders)

Map shows entry and exit points

Trolley stops are indicated

16 trail markers that describe various points of interest. 

Scan the QR codes on the markers for more info.

John

Cliff_Walk_Legal_Map_3__6858041e-f08b-4765-b2a6-de7312771ace.pdf (simpleviewinc.com)

• 1 month later...

We did the entire open section of the Cliff Walk in May. Took the trolley to the start and picked it up again at the end.  Parts of the walk were easy but the more challenging sections required good balance and proper footwear. Our group of 4 active seniors had no difficulty but walking and hiking regularly are part of our routine. It was a breathtaking hike that still allowed for time exploring  Newport.BA1B7E87-D1B2-4093-AFF7-376F6BFAA603.thumb.jpeg.0dfb578361d7e8aec24983b8ec7988a1.jpeg

14 hours ago, amet beach said:

We did the entire open section of the Cliff Walk in May. Took the trolley to the start and picked it up again at the end.  Parts of the walk were easy but the more challenging sections required good balance and proper footwear. Our group of 4 active seniors had no difficulty but walking and hiking regularly are part of our routine. It was a breathtaking hike that still allowed for time exploring  Newport.BA1B7E87-D1B2-4093-AFF7-376F6BFAA603.thumb.jpeg.0dfb578361d7e8aec24983b8ec7988a1.jpeg

Looks beautiful! Where did you get this trolley in relation to the port?

Turned left at port and continued about two blocks - I think.  We actually crossed the Main Street and got it at it’s second stop. As it was a Sunday morning and we had been on the first tender things were quiet with less trolley frequency. 

Do not miss this.  Cliff Walk is beautiful.  If you can't walk well, at least take the drive around as the view from the road is still amazing.  A fantastic way to see the beautiful coast is to have lunch at the Castle Hill Inn which is right on Ocean Drive.  Reservations are a must.  If you just have time to visit the Wharf area it features wonderful restaurants and great shops.  Make reservations to dine out at the Black Pearl or The Clark Cook House.  I was born and grew up in Rhode Island and married in Newport.  I truly believe it is one of the better ports in the U.S.

7 hours ago, Nashna said:

Do not miss this.  Cliff Walk is beautiful.  If you can't walk well, at least take the drive around as the view from the road is still amazing.  A fantastic way to see the beautiful coast is to have lunch at the Castle Hill Inn which is right on Ocean Drive.  Reservations are a must.  If you just have time to visit the Wharf area it features wonderful restaurants and great shops.  Make reservations to dine out at the Black Pearl or The Clark Cook House.  I was born and grew up in Rhode Island and married in Newport.  I truly believe it is one of the better ports in the U.S.

Thank you.  I'm looking forward to doing the Cliff Walk.  I have gotten a lot of good advice from this post.