Alaska Cruise out Vancouver - Help Please

Orange jeep

On 6/29/2022 at 7:36 PM, 5waldos said:

Thanks for the clarification- does it end right at Canada Place? Cheaper with 2 of us so will rethink our plans. Is it easier or more difficult to get to than a taxi? 

The fare is even cheaper if you are going FROM Canada Place to the airport ($5 CAD less as I recall).

I think most of your questions were answered but I thought I’d chime in. My flight is 12:45 pm post cruise. We walked off the ship this morning at 7:45 and made it to the airport (taxi), through security and to our gate by 8:45 am! I couldn’t believe how fast and smooth everything was. To be fair I have Global Entry so there were a couple lines I got to skip, but even without that, I would have had PLENTY of time to make a 12:30 flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CanadaLine was built for the 2010 Olympics and the trains have lots of space for luggage.  It is specifically designed to transport travellers from the airport to downtown and vice versa.  There are no concerns about taking luggage on the train.  

We just returned from Alaska and are happy to say that all our worrying was not necessary. Flew Orlando to Toronto to Vancouver so we did Canadian customs at the Toronto airport. It was a breeze, maybe 10 minutes only because we used the kiosk and we do struggle with technology. Planes were on time and upon arrival in Vancouver we had our luggage and a taxi for 4 adults and lots of bags within 30 minutes. We did have a hotel for the one night then took a taxi to Canada Place where we went through US customs even quicker. We flew Air Canada up and Alaska Air back. Anchorage to Seattle to Orlando . Prior to the travel day both flights were adjusted a few times but on travel day everything went smooth. All in time and luggage no issue. Having said that we were very prepared and did Arrive Canada as well a a pre customs declaration for entering Canada. 

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 9:29 AM, DaveOKC said:

The fare is even cheaper if you are going FROM Canada Place to the airport ($5 CAD less as I recall).

Yes, the crafty Canadians get you here.  For 2 adults, 2 teens: US $26.83 to go from YVR to Canada Place.  Return only cost US $8.01. 

11 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Yes, the crafty Canadians get you here.  For 2 adults, 2 teens: US $26.83 to go from YVR to Canada Place.  Return only cost US $8.01. 

Those Canadians are sure tricky!!  I understand why this is however, as it only applies to airport customers and it is impossible to know that when they get on at another stop (like downtown).

we are a family of 7 and we used the train, we carried our luggage, even the children. It was super fast and easy. Lets you off within site of Canada Place. we ranged in age from 9 to 72.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DW and I are doing this on a different schedule so my questions are different. 

We arrive on the morning July 29th for a cruise on July 31st, and return in the afternoon of the 7th to San Diego.

1. Backup plan for COVID test-- We are planning to bring a tests with us and use them at the hotel. Is there a place near the Pan Pacific to get a test while we are there?
  2. Does anyone know if it is convenient to print paper documents in the vicinity of Pan Pacific?
  3. Cabs from Airport -- We are used to taking cabs from JFK into Manhattan; once also within FLL. It doesn't look like the train will work for us because putting luggage in our laps would not physically suit us as it would suit most people. How are the cabs? I assume that "signs will direct" us to where the cabs pick up. Is that accurate?
  4. Cabs to Airport -- Where to get a cab and when for 5PM flight on a Sunday?
  5. Private Car instead of Cab on either end? We did this once in 2017 and while it was a nice way to see part of Vancouver, any thoughts about cab vs car would be welcome.
  6. Our airline schedule on the 7th appears pretty loose so as long as we get to the gate on time it should be okay.

1) Yes, there are plenty of labs around that do travel tests in person - they just ain't cheap! Official list is here: BCCDC. I believe the cheapest Travel Antigen tests are through Shoppers Drugmart - CAD$50, compared to ~$80 at the 'right next to the pier, look how convenient we are for cruisers!' labs;-)

2) The PP should have their business centre available - and since they're a fairly fancy hotel, if it's just a covid result for each of you asking at reception might get a 'just email it to us sir and/or madam, and we shall be delighted to print it for you!' type response... but worst case, Staples has a branch a few blocks away on Burrard, under the Hyatt hotel (there are several even-closer print shops, but no idea whether they'll do a one page job - Staples definitely does)

3) Canada Line does not need bags in laps unless you have 3+ each - seats are higher, space underneath deeper, and legroom greater so a large roller and a carryon should fit on the floor under you just fine. But fixed price cabs for 2 are not much worse value than SkyTrain inbound, due to the extra $5pp AddFare on the latter, and can actually be cheaper for 4 people if they can all fit (over 80% of local cab fleets are Prius, so while they have 4 pax seats the boot is not huge - 3 folks with cruise luggage is more realistic). The PP would cost CAD$38+tip in a cab - doesn't matter if it's 5 pax in a minivan or 1 in a Prius, all cabs charge the same by law.

And yes, signage on ceilings at YVR for cabs, limos, and the SkyTrain platform are easily spotted.

4) I would not be taking a cab from the pier for a 5pm flight, unless that's where you leave your bags and have to come back to get them! You won't be allowed to check bags anyway until 3 hours beforehand (it has been longer recently with all the YVR staffing issues, but as queues come more under control normal rules are being applied again).

Best idea is to stash your bags somewhere downtown - e.g. upstairs with the Pan Pacific bellhops, who you will be able to find easily as you stayed there precruise. $5 a bag, leave as long as you like! Go sightseeing, have a nice lunch, come back for your bags and then ask the same bellhops to get you a cab if there isn't one waiting already... at about 1:30pm, getting you to YVR about 2pm, where chances are 3 hours early will be an hour too much at that time of day - but better safe than sorry! TIme to kill post-security, YVR has a fair whack of good public art and several overpriced dining spots.

5) Meh - if you want to spend a lot more cash for a comfier car, sure, and since minimum limo rental time is 1 hour anyway you might as well get a 'take us the long way please driver' out of it, but honestly I've found the Vancouver taxi fleets to be in the least crappy average condition of any city anywhere I've taken a cab. Personally we almost always use SkyTrain to the airport, cabs home if we are tired, and limos only on the odd occasion that the cab queue looks long and we just want to get home ASAP - so we're not fussy about seating as long as it's comfy enough for the half hour ride time...

6) A flight at 5pm is not really a concern, even at the worst of the 'security queue runs all the way through the terminal' situations it was folks with flights noonish and earlier who got hit. Just make sure you arrive by 2pm, still being somewhat short-staffed for for int'l flights it's best to comply with the recommended 3 hours pre-flight check-in time.

Safe flights, hope your bags arrive here when you do so they get on the ship with you!

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, martincath said:

Safe flights, hope your bags arrive here when you do so they get on the ship with you!

Thanks for the response.

Fortunately we have a nonstop flight to YVR so the bags won't have a tricky journey and our arrival timing leaves us some margin.

Once in Buenos Aires we had a 10pm flight out and the ship kicked us out at the usual time. We took a ship excursion to the airport by way of some attractions and we were at the airport at ... 12:30pm. And the counters didn't open until 5 or so because the planes weren't leaving until 8. So we dragged our bags around to two different eateries within the land-side concourse. And it seemed like the entire girls softball (I think) community of the city was going out on our flight, to Miami. Fun.

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:40 AM, martincath said:

About 400 yards away - as David says, the platform right outside Canada Place is for the other line (Expo, heads eastward). If you head for the end of the Canada Line platform that says 'Granville' you can actually walk downhill, a little easier if you have heavy cases than coming up in the main lobby of the historic station building where the walk is a very slight uphill slope along Cordova.

Closest Canada Line station is City Centre - <800 yard walk. Google map directions. Stadium-Chinatown is only a couple of blocks away, but on the Expo line - to transfer you need to walk through a mall between City Centre & Granville stations, or else go all the way to Waterfront and change platforms (stairs or escalators up then back down again) so honestly the walk from City Centre is your easiest option...

I wanted to say thanks for the information.  We did do the train and walked from City Centre station.  We had one large suitcase and a couple carry-ons.  It was an easy, mostly down hill walk to the Hampton Inn.

1 hour ago, Suzanne123 said:

I wanted to say thanks for the information.  We did do the train and walked from City Centre station.  We had one large suitcase and a couple carry-ons.  It was an easy, mostly down hill walk to the Hampton Inn.

Glad it was helpful - enjoy however much precruise time you have left, and then of course the cruise!

Lemme also jump in here @Ferry_Watcher while I've got you.  We've got our tickets purchased for the Cantrail bus (purchased directly from Amtrak as the 'no train' substitute) departing King St. Station to Pacific Central Station on our way up to Vancouver. If you would be so kind, could you walk us through the 'non standard' boarding process.  Do we simply walk up to the normal Amtrak counter and begin the check-in process there? Do we board like 30 minutes before the bus departs and just sit in the lovely waiting room until called? Any guidance/advice for that morning is appreciated. For what it's worth, we'll either be Ubering or getting a ride from our son down to King St.

On the other end, we'll be staying overnight at the Barclay Hotel.  So I'm assuming a cab over from Pacific Central and then either a cab or a nice 20 minute walk the following morning to the ship?  TY in advance for your always fantastic guidance.

@jsglow, I am honored that you asked me for some insight to your upcoming Amtrak bus substitution trave to BC, but unfortunately I don't have an answer for you.  While I have traveled via Amtrak to Vancouver pre-pandemic for a cruise, I am unfamiliar with how the current 'bus' check-in actually works.

My 'wheelhouse' is more Pier 91.

Wish I could have been more helpful for you my friend.

10 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@jsglow, I am honored that you asked me for some insight to your upcoming Amtrak bus substitution trave to BC, but unfortunately I don't have an answer for you.  While I have traveled via Amtrak to Vancouver pre-pandemic for a cruise, I am unfamiliar with how the current 'bus' check-in actually works.

My 'wheelhouse' is more Pier 91.

Wish I could have been more helpful for you my friend.

You're always a wealth of info here.  There's a decent # of folks here on CC that actually try hard to provide valuable info. I like to think we're both in that camp.

We're hoping to do some sailing during our visit.  My son's good friends own a boat up in Edmonds.  They've promised to take us sailing anytime we visit in the summer.  That said, hubby will need an evening 'hall pass' with a one year old toddler at home. "But honey, jsglow and his wife are coming out and you know we've promised them." 👍  If the weather holds I bet it happens.

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Heidi13, @martincath, @sparks1093

A bit off topic - 

A question for my friends - saw a Canadian visa in a foreign passenger's passport, but there was no photo with it.  Always thought there should be a photo on the visa.  Any thoughts?

They must submit 2  photos with the application, so not sure why 1 of them isn't included with the visa.

11 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

They must submit 2  photos with the application, so not sure why 1 of them isn't included with the visa.

It was curious that there wasn't a picture on the visa.  Passports that have a Canadian visa are collected and sent on board the ship so the Canadian officials can look at them.   Hopefully if there is anything truly irregular about this visa the Canadian officials will catch it.

Thanks!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

You're always a wealth of info here.  There's a decent # of folks here on CC that actually try hard to provide valuable info. I like to think we're both in that camp.

We're hoping to do some sailing during our visit.  My son's good friends own a boat up in Edmonds.  They've promised to take us sailing anytime we visit in the summer.  That said, hubby will need an evening 'hall pass' with a one year old toddler at home. "But honey, jsglow and his wife are coming out and you know we've promised them." 👍  If the weather holds I bet it happens.

Edmonds is absolutely lovely.  Lots of great dining options too.

If you follow Europe thru the Backdoor Rick Steves, his office is based in Edmonds

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Heidi13, @martincath, @sparks1093

A bit off topic - 

A question for my friends - saw a Canadian visa in a foreign passenger's passport, but there was no photo with it.  Always thought there should be a photo on the visa.  Any thoughts?

I think the fact that the visa is attached to a page of a passport, which already has a photo in, should suffice - unlike the US where the Green Card is a thing in and of itself, I think all Canadian visas are dependent on a passport and not worth diddly squat unless attached to a valid one, and if the passport expires before the theoretical end of the Visa lifetime then both go *poof*.

I found this last bit out the hard way as my initial residency here in Canada expired when I renewed my UK passport even though it had over 6 months left on it! We were very lucky that processing time was short and it didn't screw us over for any travel while I reapplied for my Canadian visa - this is what led me to start doing 'original source' searches myself as CBSA advised me incorrectly when I first landed that the visa was it's own thing, so as long as my new UK passport had the same name it would remain valid... Nope! Fortunately I called CRC to double-check (I wanted to know whether I could restaple the visa into my new passport, or if I had to bring the old corner-clipped UK passport as well as my new one whenever I traveled outside Canada) so we found out in enough time to fix the problem!

To be fair, we were among the earliest folks to get the shiny new 'spousal visa for in-demand professions' or some other equally-waffley name that was running as a pilot program at the time, so I ran into several folks in my first couple of years who did not have a clue about that particular category...

6 hours ago, jsglow said:

...If you would be so kind, could you walk us through the 'non standard' boarding process.  Do we simply walk up to the normal Amtrak counter and begin the check-in process there? Do we board like 30 minutes before the bus departs and just sit in the lovely waiting room until called? Any guidance/advice for that morning is appreciated. For what it's worth, we'll either be Ubering or getting a ride from our son down to King St.

On the other end, we'll be staying overnight at the Barclay Hotel.  So I'm assuming a cab over from Pacific Central and then either a cab or a nice 20 minute walk the following morning to the ship?  TY in advance for your always fantastic guidance.

Thruway buses pick up on the west side of the station, there are signs - I've never actually taken an Amtrak bus from SEA, only been 'ferried' around landslides in them then put back on the train, but from what I recall hearing announced while waiting for trains there you will hear announcements about the Amtrak Thruway to X destination' as well as the trains. However, I can say that King Street has the WORST setup speaker system I've ever encountered in any train station I've ever been to - that beautiful, big, boxy, high-ceilinged marble room makes for the most godawful echoes and zero thought seems to have gone into speaker placement or angles! Move around until you find a sweet spot with minimal echoes and sit there if you are early enough you want to sit down rather than just stand at the curb.

Not sure if the porters will load checked bags onto the bus - if so, you need to be there at least 45mins early to check them. If you can handle schlepping them yourself then you can cut it much closer - in case the bus has actually sold-out with the train still not running, I'd recommend obeying the suggested 30min prior check-in to play safe.

There are always staff around so if in doubt, ask someone in uniform where to wait for the Vancouver BC (NB: make sure you specify BC!) thruway bus: at least with it being a Cantrail coach it will stand out among the actual Amtrak livery coaches going elsewhere...

On the Vancouver end, the Barclay is at least 40mins walk from the station, a bit uphill, so I'd definitely take a cab - they will be lined up outside waiting, but as they fill and move away there will be gaps of a few minutes before the next cabs start rolling in. At least with a bus it's only ~50 or fewer pax, so it's unlikely you'll wait long even if you're the last folks off. A smidgen over 2 miles drive, so ballpark $15 on the meter should allow for a little traffic, and tip as you would in the US.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martincath said:

I think the fact that the visa is attached to a page of a passport, which already has a photo in, should suffice - unlike the US where the Green Card is a thing in and of itself, I think all Canadian visas are dependent on a passport and not worth diddly squat unless attached to a valid one

I just don't recall seeing a (full passport page) Canadian visa attached to a foreign passport that didn't have the passport holder's photo on it.  I thought I would ask the three of my fellow CCers who I thought that might have an explanation for me.

Thanks for answering @jsglow's question about the Amtrak bus and Barclay's.  

2 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I just don't recall seeing a (full passport page) Canadian visa attached to a foreign passport that didn't have the passport holder's photo on it.  I thought I would ask the three of my fellow CCers who I thought that might have an explanation for me.

Thanks for answering @jsglow's question about the Amtrak bus and Barclay's.  

No worries on the question-answering - your flagging me about the visa thing meant I saw the rest of the thread updates, so it got a speedier reply!

On the visa front, I guess we've had opposite experiences - I've never seen a Canadian visa that did have a picture on it! Based on when we immigrated, things have undoubtedly changed - we haven't really had friends who needed visas since the early years, when every get-together among expats always eventually covered the 'how much hassle did you have getting your student/family/skilled/refugee/whatever category from <country of origin> for Canada issued/renewed?' stories.

Given you saw one recently,  I figure it must be certain categories of visa have/don't need one rather than it being a 'back in my day no photos, but all the kids these days need 'em' situation 😉

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It was curious that there wasn't a picture on the visa.  Passports that have a Canadian visa are collected and sent on board the ship so the Canadian officials can look at them.   Hopefully if there is anything truly irregular about this visa the Canadian officials will catch it.

Thanks!

It depends on the type of visa.   I think most visas that you apply for at an embassy have photos.  

I have worked with a few Americans that we had come in under NAFTA work visas.  The NAFTA visa is not issued at an embassy ahead of time.  It is issued on arrival into Canada at the airport or ground border crossing.   The ones I have seen don't have a photo.  

Edited by em-sk

These visas would be in passports from India, South American countries, The Philippines, etc - the ones that I am guessing that cruise passengers submit their passports and two photos to the Canadian Embassy. 

Not  countries like the EU, Japan, Oz, NZ, etc

As I said, it was surprising to see a full page Canadian visa without a photo.