Icelandic Adventure - last minute changes to SoD itinerary

arlowood

We're booked on the SoD for the above cruise due to depart Dover tomorrow (19th).

Just had a call from Saga to advise some last minute changes to the cruise schedule. Due to a delay in leaving Cadiz, the SoD is now heading for Portsmouth rather than Dover and our taxi pick up has been put back by 3hrs to 1.30pm. With our projected journey time to Portsmouth from the East Midlands, that will mean boarding will be around 6pm I'm guessing

We were also informed that the itinerary will now be run in reverse. ie from Portsmouth we will head to Heimaey or Reykjavik first rather than Orkney, then do the circumnavigation of Iceland in a clockwise direction ending at Seydisfjordur,  then on to Orkney as the last stop before disembarkation at Dover. Full details of the revised itinerary will be provided when we board apparently.

The Saga rep also indicated that they were planning to start using Portsmouth more regularly in the future. Not sure if that's because they have experienced issues at Dover recently due to the various travel disruption problems at the ferry terminal.

Travelling in these times is always an adventure so we're just rolling with the punches.

Edited by arlowood
omission
  • Like 3

• arlowood changed the title to Icelandic Adventure - last minute changes to SoD itinerary
54 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

Would be more than happy to swop  Dover for  Portsmouth 😀

Yes - I was  more than happy with the change of embarkation port having seen the chaos around the Dover ferry terminal over the past few weeks. I know the cruise terminal is separate but I'm sure there will still be some impact on passengers trying to get to the cruise terminal.
We did a couple of Viking cruises last year that used the Portsmouth cruise terminal. It was a breeze to access and boarding was quick and efficient.

Only downside is that we are docking back in Dover on our return on 3rd July.

Sorry, as an actual terminal I think Dover beats most others, small and not involving lots of walking and even  bus rides, unlike Portsmouth.  But fully agree that at present it is probably pretty awful trying to actually get there.